Ratner's X-men 3 first look

Saw it friday... it was a frickin distaster... i will hold off on discussing the actual film until more people have witnessed it...

notice i used "witnessed" instead of "watched" or "seen"... this is no accident...

D

darkbane

Watched this a couple of days ago. *yawn* It had some moments but overall I guess this is more for hard-core fans, despite the all-star cast.

Rhombaad said:
My friend told me tonight about the scene at the end of the movie, and it may just be the thing that makes me give the picture a 2nd chance, because it undoes the one thing that killed the movie for me.
Could someone spoil this for me? (or send pm if you don't want to post it here) Our group left before the end of the credits.

incognitoX

you fail me
I saw it. It was mediocre at best; nowhere near as good as the last two. The "war" really just seemed like a skirmish that would occur in the old animated series. The worst thing though...seeing the Ghost Rider trailer before the movie, ugh.

Also, didn't the "Juggernaut bitch" video come out after they ended shooting the film? I was surprised they included the line in the movie.

It was very disappointing. If you cant follow the book, or in this case comic, within a certain degree, just don't put it on film. If you're a big fan see it, but be ready to be let down.

CnC

Ad Oculos
hehe, seems people aren't liking it. :guts:

I can't say I was the biggest supporter of it going in but it wasn't _that_ bad, fellas.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's shit? Well, America LOVES shit! X-men 3 had one of the most successful opening weekends EVER ($107m).

"The largest ever for Memorial Day weekend"

"On the all-time list, "X-Men: The Last Stand" ranks behind only "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode III" and "Shrek 2" for opening weekend gross."

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20060528/114884592000.html

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
"On the all-time list, "X-Men: The Last Stand" ranks behind only "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode III" and "Shrek 2" for opening weekend gross."

Wow, you can't even say it doesn't belong among those all-time cinema classics. =)

Actually, no, it really doesn't. Say what you want about those other pictures, good or bad, they were memorable for one reason or another, while this thing was just mediocre to the max. I had such low expectations I just enjoyed the eye candy as I watched, I was actually thinking at the time dwarf would be dissapointed when I didn't arrive with my usual venom, and with plenty of people already here to back me up. But, I felt nothing afterwards; I certainly don't like it, but I don't hate it, either. I really don't feel anything. Though, there was some decent unintentional comedy here and there (like the other crappy tombstones compared to the Captain's and ridiculous "Ratner drama and emotion"). But for all it's cool scenes and setups, it was just completly hollow, and watching it hollowed me out inside as well (it also proved wrong my theory that you can't go wrong killing everybody in a story, I guess you can make anything boring... it's like if Miura really did kill off Guts in the next episode and that's basically all there is to it, THE END =).

I call this filmgoing phenomenon, "The Ratner Zone." :troll:

Frankly, I'm convinced the only reason it made $120 million this weekend is because of the star power of Bill Duke. Ratner must have known that he had a total loss and wasted the studio's $200 million (I had no idea it was that expensive; A-list budget, b-movie ideas), and figured the only way to make it a winner; more Bill Duke. Well, you convinced me ratface, two thumbs WAY UP!

BillDuke.gif

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Your summary reminds me of what I felt when I watched DooM Griff (nothing)... But whoa, Bill Duke? Man, I have to watch this no matter how bad it is now. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I was waiting for duke to threaten to gut the president.

..."I see you"...

but I'm with griff. I think the reason I didn't dislike the movie was because of the low expectations. Of course there was a lot of crap but I also liked some it too. Its by no means a great movie but I did enjoy parts of it.

I felt the same way, I left the theater satisfied, but not excited. Ironically, my GF loved it, wasnt expecting that haha.

CnC said:
I suppose this pretty much guarantees another movie's gonna be made.

yeah, they still have to finish off whats left of the xmen... nightcrawler did the right thing by not showing up... either he was a coward or he was smart... or perhaps he read the script and laughed...

spoliers:

dont you think it would have been better if magneto loaded all his homeboys in a big yellow school bus and flew them over to the island rather than needlessly overwhelming himself by bending a whole bridge allowing not only his class 1 lamers but also the army to cross soon after(doh)... btw i only assume that he tired himself out because once he got there all he did was throw cars in harmless slo-mo hitting nobody...

another quick fix: rather than using 4(!!!) antimutant shots on magneto he could have given one to jean rather than gutting her... i know what you think... "they would have been incinerated when he was trying to get to her!!!"... perhaps, but not if he housed them up his impervious adamantium ass (or more tastefully he could have put one in his mouth)

CnC

Ad Oculos
spoliers:

dont you think it would have been better if magneto loaded all his homeboys in a big yellow school bus and flew them over to the island rather than needlessly overwhelming himself by bending a whole bridge allowing not only his class 1 lamers but also the army to cross soon after(doh)... btw i only assume that he tired himself out because once he got there all he did was throw cars in harmless slo-mo hitting nobody...

another quick fix: rather than using 4(!!!) antimutant shots on magneto he could have given one to jean rather than gutting her... i know what you think... "they would have been incinerated when he was trying to get to her!!!"... perhaps, but not if he housed them up his impervious adamantium ass (or more tastefully he could have put one in his mouth)

quoted for spoilers so don't read this post if you're really gearing up for the movie. but I don't think I'm giving away that much of the plot (there was a plot, too!?).

School bus? how lame would it had magneto decided to arrive on a friggin' school bus? they'd be laughin in the aisles. I had no problems with him moving the entire bridge. It was more flare than function, but I think thats the point.
As for magneto taking all of the shots instead of saving some for Jean. As was demonstrated moments later a surprise attack of thousands of those shots didn't work, its not too hard to assume that a surprise attack by beast wouldn't work on the telepath. I thought wolverine's tactic was sound and looked cool to boot.

Theres only so much believability that can be allowed a story with people with magnetic powers, weather powers, etc.
If you can buy those conditions, moving the golden gate bridge and stabbing a dude with 4 needles instead of 1 is minor
I'm willing to cut it a little slack and admit it looked good.

Its a japanese painting. Looks pretty, no depth.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
Its a japanese painting. Looks pretty, no depth.

Perfect setup for something that occured to me in the shower today. I noticed everyone seems to agree this movie isn't very good, even our usually enthusiastic shit eaters. But that's the thing: Why? How is it people can recognize the obvious badness of this movie yet are blind to it in say, FFVII: Advent Children (yeah, I hate to bring it up). It doesn't make any logical sense.

Which brings me back to CnC's analogy and makes me wonder; is it some sort of unconscious entertainment prejudice or cultural bias? Is it a different medium altogether, falling under some kind of pseudo-anime sub-standards? Is shit from Japan an art form? Or, is it just a matter of the degree of fandom?

Bizarre.

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
Perfect setup for something that occured to me in the shower today.

Most epiphanies happen either there or on the crapper. But thats another discussion entirely.

I noticed everyone seems to agree this movie isn't very good, even our usually enthusiastic shit eaters. But that's the thing: Why? How is it people can recognize the obvious badness of this movie yet are blind to it in say, FFVII: Advent Children (yeah, I hate to bring it up). It doesn't make any logical sense.

Which brings me back to CnC's analogy and makes me wonder; is it some sort of unconscious entertainment prejudice or cultural bias? Is it a different medium altogether, falling under some kind of pseudo-anime sub-standards? Is shit from Japan an art form? Or, is it just a matter of the degree fandom?

I might add my opinion that I don't think FF:AC looked all that great, or at the very least didn't differ any from the quality level of some of the more basic cutscenes of a game. That brings me to the next point which is that FF:AC's target market was quite obviously the people who loved FF7. I think people either loved or hated the movie based on that fact. In many ways X-men falls into that but I think what made the original X-men movie good was that it broadened (or at least attempted to) the target audience beyond those who loved the comics.

However, I think that Ratner focused mostly on the aspects that would attract the comic fans while adding very little to the parts that would attract the fans of the earlier movies. Too much budget in the special effects, not enough in the writing.

I think what helped to make Advent Children work was that it wasn't a re-telling of the story we already love. I remember reading somewhere that it simply started off as unrelating scenes from people who loved working on the game, without the intent of making a movie. I have my doubts about whether that's true, but regardless it eventually grew into what it is now, and it is what it is. A polished up action scene from a game we loved. Just without the cross-dressing or bird-breeding.

I convinced a friend of mine to watch it*, who while normally biased against merch coming out of Japan, ended up loving it. And they never played the game. At the same time we both held a similar opinion about X Men III, and while not hating it, we agreed it was disappointing and full of fluff. A lot of what I found irritating were contrasts to even my admittedly short familiarity with the comics, but once again my friend had no such exposure.

I realized I didn't care at all about what was going on in the scene with Jean and Xavier, and I felt there was no reason to. All the scenes with Angel could have been removed from the movie, and the plot would not have been affected.

And while most of the time I enjoy hipster-snob movies, sometimes I want something a little less full of itself; Spiderman for example. But the one thing I wanted from X Men, which was some decent action, just didn't deliver. It annoys me that the most memorable thing about the movie had to do with the Juggernaut.

* - edit

CnC

Ad Oculos

only real problem I had with your post was you like FF:AC. But the rest was pretty spot on.
But I didn't mind the xavier/jean/magneto scene(s), they actually had what little character there was in the movie. However, yea, angel could have been cut out and nobody would have noticed. Same goes for the Iceman/Rogue/Kitty love triangle.

Perfect setup for something that occured to me in the shower today. I noticed everyone seems to agree this movie isn't very good, even our usually enthusiastic shit eaters. But that's the thing: Why? How is it people can recognize the obvious badness of this movie yet are blind to it in say, FFVII: Advent Children (yeah, I hate to bring it up). It doesn't make any logical sense.

Which brings me back to CnC's analogy and makes me wonder; is it some sort of unconscious entertainment prejudice or cultural bias? Is it a different medium altogether, falling under some kind of pseudo-anime sub-standards? Is shit from Japan an art form? Or, is it just a matter of the degree of fandom?

Bizarre.

IMO FFVII:AC had more fan service for the hardcore following. X-3 while not only bad just served to piss off the hardcore following by in NO WAY following anything that ever happened in an X-men comic. (that I know of haven't really read U.S. comics in 10+ years)

Focus on hating X-Men people (if you must), not Advent Children. Hate on that here:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5030.0

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
yota821 said:
For those of you who didn't bother to stay after the credits rolled:

Further proof of sequel

Well, take from that what you will. :schierke:

Thanks for the link! I was one of the people who didn't bother to stick around long after the movie had ended, so I missed this little scene. Strange how the most controversial occurrences in the movie were hinted at being done away with at the very end (I'm referring to the scene with Magneto and the chess board, as well as the snippet at the end).

Majin Tenshi said:
Now, can anyone really say they didn't love wolverine in the danger room scene? 

Actually, that was one of the parts that I really liked. Just his whole carefree attitude, despite explosions happening all around him, was great. Pretty true to the character, I think (at least as he's been portrayed in the movies so far). I'm actually going to see it again tonight with some friends who missed seeing it with us the first time.

http://planetxmen.gamespy.com/View.php?view=XMenMovies.Detail&id=6&game=7

X-Men 4 Rumours
30th May 2006Newsarama quotes Avi Arad regarding the possibility of a strong opening weekend for X-Men 3 suggesting another sequel:

The first reaction, which we should discard, is here comes X-Men 4. We're working on Wolverine, which is definitely a continuation, and we have a very interesting script about a young Magneto.

Looks like Marvel's definitely focussed on pushing the Wolverine spin-off. Could it be that this is part of an appeasement clause to keep Jackman coming back for future X-Men sequels by rewarding him with his own starring role? Either way, look for future news to focus more and more heavily on the Wolverine and Magneto films.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
A friend of mine was telling me about the rumored spin-offs, so I'm glad that the Wolverine one is at least somewhat confirmed. My friend also mentioned a possible Mystique spin-off. I'm excited for the one focusing on Wolverine, since he's always been my favorite character. I like Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Logan, too, so I'm glad he's sticking around for at least one more film. As for the young Magneto film, I wonder who they'll pick to play the part. I hope they don't go the route of using the same CG technique employed at the beginning of X3 to make Xavier and Magneto look younger (if they do, they can hopefully improve on it, since I didn't like the look of it very much in X3).

Top Bottom