Reoccurring Apostles

Someone on Reddit was asking about other re-occurring apostles from the Eclipse other than the obvious ones of The Count, Rosine, and her guardians, so I put together a little list. Let me know if you spot others I can add. :zodd:

http://imgur.com/a/ZAp8p
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whew, it's going to be a complicated list... particularly since nearly all of these guys are nameless. Every time I try to make some sense of this, I always end up missing one or two. But maybe together we can do it?

Btw, the one you show in 299 with the horns doesn't align to the one shown in the top image with Femto. The one in the Eclipse has faces on his horns, which aligns with the one in the group shot we see at Flora's mansion.

I think it'd be best to start grouping their appearances in order, to make sense of things. Then support it with images.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Dude, you're missing Volkov (the guy who ate Guts' arm)!! Come on man! :judo:

Other than that, cool idea. I've thought about doing something like this many times in the past, but have always put it back because of laziness. :puck:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few more:

Ep 82, page 3, top left.
VS
Ep 228, page 4, top panel

Ep 82, page 10, middle-right panel
VS
Ep 301, page 17, left panel

Ep 85, page 11, top
VS
Ep 298, page 19, top left
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Thanks Walter, I'll add these in a bit. Just added Volkov
Good luck with this. Just from the little work I just did, it's quite an involved process. Would be quite time consuming to do this properly, which would involve comparing each apostle to each appearance of apostles.
 
Walter said:
Good luck with this. Just from the little work I just did, it's quite an involved process. Would be quite time consuming to do this properly, which would involve comparing each apostle to each appearance of apostles.
Thanks Walter. I just added Rosine, her Guardian's and the Count. I'm going to limit it to any apostles that appeared during or around the Eclipse. I may eventually call out page numbers, and episode numbers, but for now it will be Volume numbers. I'm happy to take ideas for naming these guys too, even if it's just a short hand reference the community can use :serpico:
 
Walter said:
Btw, the one you show in 299 with the horns doesn't align to the one shown in the top image with Femto. The one in the Eclipse has faces on his horns, which aligns with the one in the group shot we see at Flora's mansion.
I'm pretty sure they are the same, the one in 299 is un-transformed and wearing armor though. His armor is VERY similar to the guy behind Femto, down to the faces on his horns. You're referring to the middle apostle in my avatar right?
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I'm pretty sure they are the same, the one in 299 is un-transformed and wearing armor though. His armor is VERY similar to the guy behind Femto, down to the faces on his horns. You're referring to the middle apostle in my avatar right?
I'm saying

This guy:


Is THIS guy:


NOT this guy:
 
Oh gotcha. I agree, the first two get killed in Volume 27. Guts decapitates him soon after he gets the berserker armor. The other one looks familiar but I don't recall him at the Eclipse. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I've re-ordered it since then as well to make it more clear.
 

Kompozinaut

Grail Serpico!
Bob, this is an awesome project! I commend you for undertaking it. I'm already surprised at how many have returned. I guess I never paid that much attention beyond the obvious named apostles.

Volkov seems to be Miura's favorite nonspeaking apostle. I wonder if Miura is saving his demise for Guts :guts:
 
Ditto. I really enjoyed this project two different times during its evolution yesterday, and just wanted to mention how much fun it was to learn which other Apostles beyond Rosine, Volkov, and the ones from books 1 - 3 have returned throughout the series.
 
Good stuff, Bob. Took me a while to get to the end of the list and it's exhaustive. The apostles repeated in later volumes show such amazing detail, it's really something.
 
I'm not so sure this bird apostle:


is the same one as this apostle:


The first doesn't appear to have nostril slits, nor are there serrations/fangs on the beak. Plus the eyes are located further away from the beak and more superior along the cranium, whereas in the second picture the eyes appear almost connected to the lower portion of the beak. The eyes are also different types, the first has more what look like vertical cat or snake-like slits for pupils as opposed to the round iris/pupil in the second picture.

That said, this is a really cool list! Noticing so many apostles I had no idea made reappearances. I really appreciate the work scouring through volumes and making this reference list. :ubik:
 
You have a decent point. Sometimes I might attribute subtle differences to an evolution in art style, but this one seems to have enough variations between. I'll demote the bird apostle's in this case. They are both distinct.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
You have a decent point. Sometimes I might attribute subtle differences to an evolution in art style, but this one seems to have enough variations between. I'll demote the bird apostle's in this case. they are both distinct.
I don't disagree but in the panel you reference, the apostles are mid transformation, so theres a little accounting for discrepancies. Buuuuut not much.
 
Walter said:
I don't disagree but in the panel you reference, the apostles are mid transformation, so theres a little accounting for discrepancies. Buuuuut not much.
Agreed, that's why I'm leaving the fish apostle there. There are some small differences, but too many unique features are a match.
 
Awesome list. Thanks for all the time that obviously went into it. :ubik:

Honestly the Apostles, especially their recurrence, is probably my favorite aspect of Berserk. It really gives you a sense that they're not just monsters. They are individuals with ambitions, desires, and untold stories. Hell Miura could write episodes of filler that told the backstories of some of these apostles... even just telling the story of someone randome, while leaving the mystery there, would add so much flavor. Something that made you think 'oh, I bet that's Irvine, and he's going to sacrifice his _______', you know? Might make for some cool fan-fic or doujinshi.
 

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.




Grunbeld's " Giants " appear often as well, especially the spiked dinosaur alike to his left and then the one on right. I think some of these guys are among the coolest looking. The guy on far left almost seems like a walking whale. Awesome design.

I'll try to find more of them as I'm currently re-reading the series.
 
Top Bottom