Resident Evil 5

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
All PS3 games seem to have a larger number on data space than XBOX. 360 games go from 6-9 G's, same game but on PS3 goes from 10-20 G's on average titles. I myself keep asking the same question.

The extra data is to initialize the special radioactive cancer causing hardware built into every Sony PS3™! :troll:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Well, regarding the supposed death of characters that were hinted at by the trailers, i wouldn't give too much about it. Deaths in RE are just about as final as they are in just about any Gundam series, meaning they are anything but. Quite frankly, the percentage of Jill actually dying and staying dead is probably going towards zero.

On a different note, it's probably best not to think too hard about the plot of RE5 or any other RE title for that matter. I love the RE series but story-wise it's just one big mess, with outrageously charismatic characters trying to survive yet another highly entertaining bloody adventure. One of the biggest assets of RE would be that no matter how corny, convoluted or outright hilarious the setting may be, it's still one heck of a joyride to play through each new title (probably excluding some of the FPS titles).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just played through the demo. I didn't find one thing wrong with it. I agree with Simplyed about the story, just take it with a grain of salt, but other than that the demo plays beautifully.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
It was already clear that co-op was the way to go. I'll be playing it with my brother myself.

Yep. It's the final nail in the "survival horror" coffin. I'll play it though, and i hope it's 1/5 as fun as a action packed Gears of War clone.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Yep. It's the final nail in the "survival horror" coffin. I'll play it though, and i hope it's 1/5 as fun as a action packed Gears of War clone.

It isn't a nail in any coffin really, and it's certainly not a Gears of War clone. Really, it'd be great if you could stop trolling every Resident Evil thread with your misguided nostalgia.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
It isn't a nail in any coffin really, and it's certainly not a Gears of War clone. Really, it'd be great if you could stop trolling every Resident Evil thread with your misguided nostalgia.

I'm fuel to your fire baby.

Henry Spencer said:
Uh...didn't RE4 come out before Gears of War did? :schierke:

But it didn't have co-op or cover system.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I'm fuel to your fire baby.

You're a waste of time.

NightCrawler said:
But it didn't have co-op or cover system.

Cooperative gameplay exists since the dawn of video games and RE5's co-op mode has nothing in common with Gears of War's. It's also a direct (and natural) sequel to the "bodyguard" gameplay that involved Ashley in RE4. As for the cover system, you're wrong, RE4 did feature certain spots where your character could hide or take cover. And from what has been shown so far it's very similar in RE5 and not much like Gears of War's own system. It's definitely not a core component of the gameplay anyway, so comparing the two games on that level is mostly a joke.

Gears of War, Nov 7, 2006 on XBOX 360.

Resident Evil 4, Jan 12 2004 on Gamecube.

Dude, if anything you can say Gears at least had RE4 for inspiration, if in fact that was the case. Not too mention look at the hardware Gears was being developed for. Certainly not apples to apples. You can by no means argue the greatness that was RE4's gameplay was at the time of it's release.

It didn't have co-op or cover, but jesus man you're talking about almost a 3 year difference between the release of each game. Not even mentioning time spent in development. Technology moves insanely fast sir

RE4's story was lame but the gameplay was superb at certainly set an industry standard. I love Gears, but this isn't a 'what came first' scenario. RE4 did, period.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
You're a waste of time.

By your post count and the extensive replies you give, i find that remark funny.

Cooperative gameplay exists since the dawn of video games and RE5's co-op mode has nothing in common with Gears of War's. It's also a direct (and natural) sequel to the "bodyguard" gameplay that involved Ashley in RE4. As for the cover system, you're wrong, RE4 did feature certain spots where your character could hide or take cover. And from what has been shown so far it's very similar in RE5 and not much like Gears of War's own system. It's definitely not a core component of the gameplay anyway, so comparing the two games on that level is mostly a joke.

You're right. Both of you and Proj2501 are right. I've seen some videos, and the cover system can't be compared. So as a pure action game, i hope it's as fun as GoW. I won't touch the survival horror thing again.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
By your post count and the extensive replies you give, i find that remark funny.

That's good for you. It doesn't invalidate what I said, since the amount of time something requires isn't necessarily related to whether said time is wasted or not, but I'm glad my comment entertained you. Now I'd appreciate if we went back to talking about RE5. We all know your intense hatred of the direction the RE series took with RE4, so there's no need to keep hammering it in.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
NightCrawler said:
I've seen some videos, and the cover system can't be compared. So as a pure action game, i hope it's as fun as GoW. I won't touch the survival horror thing again.

What really stopped me from playing the first few Resident Evil games was the character's inability to do anything. It was scary, but it was more frustrating that I'd be getting eaten by zombies in RE2 because my character moved like a fucking wheelbarrow. It really helps draw me into the game to be able to seek cover, actually run or move in more realistic ways.

Well hopefully with time we see even more of these type of improvements. At least parts of the Resident Evil franchise are evolving. Other parts need follow suit. Say, STORY!
If anything boys, that's my biggest concern. Maybe some of you will be scrutinizing gameplay mechanics. Me? Well, I know I'm just setting myself up for heartbreak...story of my life. no pun intended

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
What really stopped me from playing the first few Resident Evil games was the character's inability to do anything. It was scary, but it was more frustrating that I'd be getting eaten by zombies in RE2 because my character moved like a fucking wheelbarrow. It really helps draw me into the game to be able to seek cover, actually run or move in more realistic ways.

Well, at that time I thought the games were the bomb. Compared to today's game they are antiques. But at that time I was blown away and at least for me it was quite entertaining. I have played the Demo for RE5 and I like it. Thumps up for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/2/18/

A preview build of Resident Evil 5 dropped by in the early afternoon on Monday, and before we knew precisely what had occurred, it was time to go home.

A similar scene played out on Tuesday. That's not typical: I prefer to play games in my actual leisure hours, to make that time a resource I must expend. A barbed desire to know circumvented this impulse. Fueled by the uncut product my curiosity quickly morphed into fascination, which then coiled around, binding us to the screen. We've been fans of the series from its first incarnation, a big budget remix of Alone In The Dark. A sales powerhouse with its own strong traditions, they haven't been afraid to warp and twist their "sure thing" with manifestly strange gameplay experiments. They released a cooperative spin-off of the franchise with online play, for a system where the hard drive and network capability were not only optional but difficult to obtain. I'm prepared to call that hardcore.

The loads in Resident Evil 5 come a little too frequent for our taste, nothing on the order of MGS4, but they're always dropping by to insert an ellipsis in truly invigorating scenes. It quickly becomes apparent what these loads are doing: creating environments of horrifying, thoroughly uncanny realism. If it had happened once, or a even a handful of times, I wouldn't mention it. As it stands, it often occurs to us that we are looking at a photograph of a scene, or footage, when it is only the natural interplay of their lighting model, their cinematic effects, and their gruesome animations.

The conversation about the game's controls took awhile to die down, and I've made my perspective on the issue clear, but Capcom didn't do themselves any favors with the demo. Speaking in general terms, people don't like to be decapitated, and the demo offers many opportunities for this to occur. Both of its levels shove the player into maze-like killzones chockablock with dead-ends, and both feature implacable antagonists with wide-arc knockdowns or one-hit kills. Contrary to the industry's building momentum toward welcoming new players into beautiful, gently designed spaces, this game is having none of it. This is not a game where you play some rascal zephyr in a flower's dream. This is a game where you run for your fucking life, for hours, until you die.

It's more or less exactly what we want out of a Resident Evil game, but it's impossible for us to play it without the metanarrative of race providing a grim context for our every in-game action. It's clear when playing it that they've added a few caucasoids to the mix, and also what looks like zombie version of Saddam Hussein, but it's hard to tell what they're doing there. Playing the game does nothing to dilute the imagery people have found objectionable, the trailer wasn't out of context in any way - in fact I would say quite plainly that they go far beyond what you might have believed possible.

It won't be hard to find an authentic, devoted racist on Xbox Live to play as Chris - but is the game somehow less racist if I join someone else's game as co-op partner Sheva Alomar? I hope so. It's sort of like those Magic Eye pictures. You can't see it, you can't see it, and then wham. All you can see is the genocide.

(CW)TB out.

Griffith

Griffith said:
The extra data is to initialize the special radioactive cancer causing hardware built into every Sony PS3™! :troll:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/game-console-linked-to-skin-disorder/1291580

I thought I was just joking, but apparently one can't go too far with the PS3, it's serious like a skin disease!

Anyway, for all my kidding around, I had the pleasure of playing the RE5 demo on the PS3 last night with my buddy and fellow Berserkophile Doug (who I noticed now had the Guts plushie prominently displayed). Anyway, we played it straight, serious business, though maybe because Doug didn't expect much out of me this first time playing RE5, let alone co-op. We took some time out at the start so I could get used to the controls, even still, first run was still pretty awkward, controls were more complex than RE4 on the 'Cube, and I didn't even know how to run or quick turn. I was playing it like an old school RE game, tank style. Still, I held my own, and didn't get killed, but instead got Doug killed by the executioner as he tried to get me out from behind the fenced area. :ganishka:

Next run I was ready to rock though, and we easily made it to the top of the bus and held our position, I even got in a little knife fighting in before switching to the rifle. Next level goes well, it's still awkward on the teamwork front, but Doug's used to the game and I'm decent enough from RE4 experience to hold my own and get in a few headshots. Until the chainsaw guy, we run and don't really have a plan. I go down to the end of the alley behind the building and see my chainsaw wielding friend come around. Machine Gun time!

Well, that didn't work. And eventually Doug gets his head cut off while healing me... Oops. Another "co-op"erative DEATH! Anyway, we don't mind replaying it, so much so that we do a few more times due to some reckless moments of bravado. The most of hilarious of which...

"Doug, I think he's switched on to you, get outta there."

"I think he's still on you."

*Doug has his rifle out to go for one last head shot on chainsaw man before moving, which will be easy to get, because now his head is literally taking up the entire view of the scope... YOU DIED*

"I told you he was coming for you."

"I thought I had time for one more shot."

Anyway, by the the time we beat it, the trial by fire had us working in perfect tandem, playing chainsaw man and the ganados like puppets into our traps. And when we used up all the drums, grenades and electrical traps, it just came down to basics, Doug headshoting him to death with the rifle while I covered us and nailed chainsaw with the machine gun when we were both clear.

Fun.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
That's great you guys had such a good time battling your way through the level. Company sure makes it more exciting and adventurous with more ideas thrown on how to take on the enemy.

Griffith

Well, I had fun being able to play it with Doug, but that was more that I hadn't seen Doug in a while and he wanted to play RE5 with me, so good feelings all around. It's not like I'm addicted to the teamwork or anything.

Plus, that reasonable evasion aside, the old school console war politics in my DNA won't allow me to stray from my pre-established "survival horror" loyalties. You won't turn me traitor Walter Benedict! =)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Griff, it sounds like you'd like Left 4 Dead if you enjoyed that level of teamwork.
This and I was going to say... Im not much of a RE man myself but from you guys talking about the Co-op portion. Do you think this could be a responce to Left 4 Dead? I don't know if Capcom (or who ever is making RE anymore) had the Co-op portion planned but with the success of L4D, maybe they are trying to cash in on it?

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
This and I was going to say... Im not much of a RE man myself but from you guys talking about the Co-op portion. Do you think this could be a responce to Left 4 Dead? I don't know if Capcom (or who ever is making RE anymore) had the Co-op portion planned but with the success of L4D, maybe they are trying to cash in on it?

Considering Left 4 Dead's success, I'm sure RE5's co-op could be viewed as a natural response depending on the degree to which it ends up resembling it. I can't compare, though I think it's a bit ironic to say that Resident Evil is "cashing in" on Left 4 Dead in any case. It's the spiral of undead and killing. =)

Anyway, what is with this sub-plot of co-op propriety in here? Did Gears of War and Left 4 Dead go back in time and invent 2 player co-op before Double Dragon, Contra, and Doom? Evolutionary as these new titles are, it's still an old concept being augmented in a copycat business, RE5 is just the latest. Personally, I think the RE5 co-op system is ripped off from Secret of Mana myself. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

According to Capcom it was planned as a core component of the game from the start, so long before L4D came out.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Griffith said:
Anyway, what is with this sub-plot of co-op propriety in here? Did Gears of War and Left 4 Dead go back in time and invent 2 player co-op before Double Dragon, Contra, and Doom? Evolutionary as these new titles are, it's still an old concept being augmented in a copycat business, RE5 is just the latest. Personally, I think the RE5 co-op system is ripped off from Secret of Mana myself. :guts:

Not so much that but when you think of RE you don't really think of Co-op or any type of Multi-player. So i wasn't sure if it was an afterthought or something they wanted to do from the beginning.

Top Bottom