Resident Evil 5

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
I don't think Proj's a more hardcore or cynical fan of RE than I am.

I wasn't trying to imply that, I just couldn't find the words to describe someone such as he who has both played the old games and has enough knowledge about them to both see how different RE5 is from the previous games as well as point out his disappointment with the story in relation to the other games. So I just said hardcore cynical, and I'm not implying that he goes to Comic cons cosplaying as an RE zombie when I say "hardcore".

Guts' intestines said:
I wasn't trying to imply that, I just couldn't find the words to describe someone such as he who has both played the old games and has enough knowledge about them to both see how different RE5 is from the previous games as well as point out his disappointment with the story in relation to the other games. So I just said hardcore cynical, and I'm not implying that he goes to Comic cons cosplaying as an RE zombie when I say "hardcore".
I know dude. S'cool. :badbone:

Aazealh said:
Yeah, in ways that kind of oppose each other. :casca:

It did kind of get me when he said he enjoyed RE4. I swear, had it not been for the big change in gameplay, everyone would be up in arms at how truly lame the story really was. Example below.
394436-ramon_salazar_large.jpg

Yes, yes Aaz I know. CV is the worst. And here's why.
alexalexia.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was still pretty relatively "up in arms" over the story in RE4, but the awesome action made me forget my pain and enjoy the game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
It did kind of get me when he said he enjoyed RE4.

Told you it wasn't helping your argument, didn't I? :slan: He also said he didn't like the previous RE games and that their stories sucked.

Proj2501 said:
I swear, had it not been for the big change in gameplay, everyone would be up in arms at how truly lame the story really was.

Well I didn't exactly enjoy the story. And I minded not enjoying it.

Proj2501 said:
http://gaygamer.net/images/alexalexia.jpg

You should rehost that picture, it's not showing up. Hotlinking is bad!

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Proj2501 said:
I know dude. S'cool. :badbone:

It did kind of get me when he said he enjoyed RE4. I swear, had it not been for the big change in gameplay, everyone would be up in arms at how truly lame the story really was. Example below.
394436-ramon_salazar_large.jpg

alexalexia.jpg

How can you compare that stupid silly cartoon midget with the twins?
Come on people, what the fuck is wrong with the twins? They were creepy, and a transvestite is always creepy. And dolls in gothic mansions too. And old black & white homevideos.
Of all the cheesy RE villains (Wesker aside), they're my favourites.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
How can you compare that stupid silly cartoon midget with the twins?
Come on people, what the fuck is wrong with the twins? They were creepy, and a transvestite is always creepy. And dolls in gothic mansions too. And old black & white homevideos.

Exactly, sounds like the "Rockfort Horror Picture Show" (see what I did there =), not the classic Resident Evil found on the Playstaion. They're comparable to cartoons like Salazar because they're really not much different, as a matter of fact, they're the precedent! Alfred basically has the role of Salazar in CV. The clown prince of the Ashford family was introduced as an obnoxious buffoon, and that never changed, he was never creepy or intimidating, let alone scary, or even interesting, he was what he was from start to finish, a loser. Alexia herself is a non-entity, making for a super underwhelming finale.

NightCrawler said:

Sorry, I'll take the morbid Birkin family and disturbingly eccentric, to say the least (murder, rape, texidermy =), Chief Irons over any of the recent crop of RE cheeseballs if you want an effectively creepy game population.

I am a fan of Code Veronica though, so I'll share my thoughts on its behalf, which I think is fair. In many ways, it's at the epicenter of the series, from unique graphics, to gameplay, to plotting, it's a bridge between the old and new. I think the makers wanted to elevate the series with grander, more operatic storytelling and high concept themes, which it does. It's like Resident Evil if it were directed by Hideo Kojima. Though, you can practically play through the transformation of the franchise, from gritty urban survival horror B-movie to over the top action horror soap opera, within the game. It averages the middle of those extremes, so depending on your tastes and what you want from a Resident Evil game, you can look at it as the pinnacle, or the beginning of the end. Like the game itself, I am somewhat of both minds when it comes to Code Veronica.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Come on people, what the fuck is wrong with the twins? They were creepy, and a transvestite is always creepy.

What are you, an 8 year old little girl?

NightCrawler said:

I've got to go with Griff on this one. Birkin all the way. But my favorite villains really are all the monsters. Mr. X is a far more effective and scarier monster than Wesker, Alfred or any other loser could ever hope to be.

Griffith said:
They're comparable to cartoons like Salazar because they're really not much different, as a matter of fact, they're the precedent! Alfred basically has the role of Salazar in CV. The clown prince of the Ashford family was introduced as an obnoxious buffoon, and that never changed, he was never creepy or intimidating, let alone scary, or even interesting, he was what he was from start to finish, a loser. Alexia herself is a non-entity, making for a super underwhelming finale.

Perfect summary. Salazar and by extension Irving never did anything but fill Alfred's shoes.

Griffith said:
I am a fan of Code Veronica though, so I'll share my thoughts on its behalf, which I think is fair. In many ways, it's at the epicenter of the series, from unique graphics, to gameplay, to plotting, it's a bridge between the old and new. I think the makers wanted to elevate the series with grander, more operatic storytelling and high concept themes, which it does. It's like Resident Evil if it were directed by Hideo Kojima. Though, you can practically play through the transformation of the franchise, from gritty urban survival horror B-movie to over the top action horror soap opera, within the game. It averages the middle of those extremes, so depending on your tastes and what you want from a Resident Evil game, you can look at it as the pinnacle, or the beginning of the end. Like the game itself, I am somewhat of both minds when it comes to Code Veronica.

Again, very good description. CV is what put an end to the original Resident Evil experience. The game itself has some good parts, but not those that have been cited in this thread. Want to know one thing that creeped me out in CV? The time you have to grab a key in a room with a chain-link floor and Nosferatu howling 5 stories below. That was good.

random return to post on this...
positive:
+One of the best games I've had/played as co-op.
+_~~~Decent~~~_wrapping up of a 13+ year old VG franchise (more below)
+Dem. Biceps.
+I liked Sheva
To be honest, Claire/Ada/Jill came out about 11+ years ago, and Ashley?..
+Some QTEs were nice.
+WESKERRRRRRRR!
I'm referencing mercenaries, kids. Its such an..awkward moment seeing Wesker revive Chris, or Chris scream as he's "dying". Holy fuck. What is this..I don't even..
+FABULOUS CHRIS.
+
Jill Valentine..oh for fuck sakes, do we have to spoilertag this? The internet ruined it for me two months ago, the world should share my spoiler rage
was back
See below
+Duo mercenaries is a blast
+Threesome ending is canon. "IT WAS WORTH IT"
+Live action promo ads.
+Visuals/Sound etc etc

Negatives
-Did not wrap up main RE story as well as I had hoped.. Lots of buildup that was even featured in RE5 profiles was left unresolved, and the Wesker neo-nazi/..
clone
attitude seemed/was OOC. I know Mikami was not on this project and maintains Alan Moore dissociation syndrome, but there was a mixed feeling with its wrap up.
-Some of the technical co-op elements, weapon exchanges, invite status etc needed work
-
Chris BOULDER SMASH..yet hurts his hands on Wesker's face. The fuck Wesker? For a minute there I think he dropped that Neo attitude and dropped back to code veronica Terminator status
-Is RE over now? Reboot? Seriously? I thought that was Devil May Cry/Onimusha/4. What the hell now?

Do you call American/Western entries Biohazard and Japanese entries Resident Evil?

Is there treasure that you can only get with a online partner? Because I have a feeling the AI isn't picking up quite all of the valuables that I'm to able too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Is there treasure that you can only get with a online partner? Because I have a feeling the AI isn't picking up quite all of the valuables that I'm to able too.

No, you can get everything yourself. A few are a little tricky but nothing impossible. What are you missing?

Well, I could easily just look into a guide online or something. But with your treasure "grid" is every slot suppost to be filled? Because I got about 9 or 10 slots that are empty. I wasn't sure if they were all meant to be filled. I'm about my 6th time through and every game I find about "1" new piece of treasure on average out of all the chapters. So, it started to make me wonder.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Death May Die said:
Well, I could easily just look into a guide online or something. But with your treasure "grid" is every slot suppost to be filled? Because I got about 9 or 10 slots that are empty. I wasn't sure if they were all meant to be filled. I'm about my 6th time through and every game I find about "1" new piece of treasure on average out of all the chapters. So, it started to make me wonder.

I think there is either 4 or 6 spots empty when you find all of them.
Did you get the hidden one for killing all the guys in 1-1? The part where Sheva tells you to run in the house and she puts the board on the door. You also get a special one in the 1st and 3rd Wesker fights.
I'd like to explainmore but I'm late for work!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Well, I could easily just look into a guide online or something.

No problem, I won't tell you anything unless you want to. I also spoilered the ones Handsome Rakshas revealed, in case you prefer to find everything by yourself.

handsome rakshas said:
I think there is either 4 or 6 spots empty when you find all of them.

It's 4.

Great just when I thought I could gut this game out without a guide.

Okay I did get the one for shooting all the people in Chapter 1-1

I didn't not get one's for fighting Wesker.
Can you even beat him when he's accompanied by Jill? I thought the idea was just try to stay alive.

Yeah I got 10 empty slots, so I'm missing 6. For me, they're probably in the later chapters.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I didn't not get one's for fighting Wesker.
Can you even beat him when he's accompanied by Jill? I thought the idea was just try to stay alive.

I spoilered Rakshas' post in case you didn't want to read it. But since you did anyway, there's no point in hiding your own comments on the matter... Anyhow, yes, you can beat him in chapter 5-3. That's the whole point of the "Bad Blood" achievement. Once he's down the fight ends, and you'll find the "Heart of Africa" gem at the bottom of the stairs during the fight against Jill.

Death May Die said:
Yeah I got 10 empty slots, so I'm missing 6. For me, they're probably in the later chapters.

It's probably just gems you're missing, and it's easy to check: there's 5 types for each gem, each a different color. Just look what color you're missing for each type of gem. From memory, there are 12 non-gem treasures.

I'm just getting around to Professional Mode, I've kinda put it off till this point, and man I thought I had this game under my thumb, as if it was getting a little easy, I think I died more than 10 times in the intro chapter. LOL I also see that this game keeps on giving. I mean I'm using infinite ammo, and when ever I upgrade a select number of guns, a new one pops up. So I'm forced to keep to the golden rule of "passing no item up." Every thing must be sold other wise I'm not going to get to max out a lot of these weapons. LOL Man, buying the special features has me constantly retreating the Mercenary mode, where on average I have to play 15 rounds in a row just to buy the infinite ammo to one gun. So I'm glad where the story feel short, the replay value slaps something new at you pretty often.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I'm just getting around to Professional Mode, I've kinda put it off till this point, and man I thought I had this game under my thumb, as if it was getting a little easy, I think I died more than 10 times in the intro chapter. LOL I also see that this game keeps on giving. I mean I'm using infinite ammo, and when ever I upgrade a select number of guns, a new one pops up. So I'm forced to keep to the golden rule of "passing no item up." Every thing must be sold other wise I'm not going to get to max out a lot of these weapons. LOL Man, buying the special features has me constantly retreating the Mercenary mode, where on average I have to play 15 rounds in a row just to buy the infinite ammo to one gun. So I'm glad where the story feel short, the replay value slaps something new at you pretty often.

The real difficulty of the Professional mode is that you basically can't get hit without dying unless your partner is close by. If you've mastered the game as far as shooting down everything goes, you shouldn't have too much trouble. The most bothering to me are the gun-totting majinis, since a stray bullet can ruin your run.

As for the weapons, it's only the first of every kind that unlocks a new one. I maxed everything out a long time ago myself. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5225467/hong-kongs-insanely+detailed-resident-evil-5-figures

Very intricate statues of your favorite zombie killers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it's just incredible. That's the kind of quality we need for Berserk statues. Hear me, AOW? :azan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
For those without a console, the game will come out on PC by the end of the year.
Yeah, with the new 3D NVidia goggles too :ganishka:

http://kotaku.com/5235815/3d-resident-evil-5-coming-to-pc

I'm a bit behind the ball, but I just finished RE5 finally and thought I'd throw in my opinion of it for the fun of it. For reference, I have played and finished every RE game with the exception of the survivors and the PS2 online REs (I even have the old GBC RE  :troll:)

Anyway, I played through it on the second to highest difficulty... veteren? I also played through the entire game in online Co-op with a friend. I have to say, I enjoyed the game. They really did decide to just dump survival horror completely and make the series 100% action camp. I could see why some fans would be pretty upset with the direction of the series as it's nowhere even close to what the originals in feel and gameplay. I won't even make any real comments about the story, because as was stated before, the story hasn't ever been really great, and honestly it's mostly there just to see flashy graphics just for fun. I basically put RE5 on the same level as a summer blockbuster. Not much thought, but fun to watch and play.

That said, I have to say, I really wasn't super crazy about RE4 like everyone else. I just thought that, while the gameplay was initially fun, everything got so incredibly repetitive. There was a real lack of variety in the enemy types from what I can recall and while some people liked the environments... I just thought they were sort of bland. Again, this is just my personal opinion. Maybe it's because I played RE5 completely in co-op, but I just had so much more fun playing it than 4. My memory is a little fuzzy, but was the melee system in place in RE4? If so, I don't recall using it much, but I felt like it really added a lot to 5. Everything felt so much more interactive and previous 'swarm' moments like the house attack in RE4 which I found pretty dull versus the town attack in 5 that just kept my attention longer. Also, playing on Veteran the first time made the game's pacing a lot more friendly I think. We had some real challenges such as when you first run into the chainsaw guy or at the end with the 2 reavers and chaingun guys or the licker attack right before the first Wesker encounter when we were low on ammo. Good times.

Also, I found the mercenaries mode in 4 pretty dull, but I really love it in 5. Had a lot of fun blasting through all the different arenas. I'm not going to pretend it's anything like the older entries in the series (aside from 4 of course), but as a straight up 'Die Hard' sort of action romp, I had fun. Oh, and yes, that boulder scene (luckily I played through the game as Chris) really knocked my socks off. I love how he can do that to something that big, but Chris can't just literally tear every enemy he runs into in half with his bare hands.  :ganishka:

I guess RE5 for PC was announced. It looks like its going to use some top notch graphic effects. Here is a article about it. I recently invested in a new PC so I might get when it comes out. See if the experience has been enhanced. Never know.

http://rehorror.gameriot.com/blogs/Resident-Evil-Horror/Resident-Evil-5-PC-release-date-set

A bit off topic of RE5. Seems they put together a decent looking version of RE4 out on Iphones in JAPAN.

http://www.appbank.net/2009/07/13/iphone-application/37395.php

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
A bit off topic of RE5. Seems they put together a decent looking version of RE4 out on Iphones in JAPAN.

http://www.appbank.net/2009/07/13/iphone-application/37395.php

Wow, it's like a really good looking PS1 version RE4. =)

Top Bottom