Resident Evil 5

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
A bit off topic of RE5. Seems they put together a decent looking version of RE4 out on Iphones in JAPAN.

http://www.appbank.net/2009/07/13/iphone-application/37395.php

Yeah, though it's not official IIRC. Doesn't seem very interesting to be honest, though I'm sure they could attempt a RE1 iPhone port after having seen this. The amount of memory needed would be the problem.

This is kinda a bummer to me. I knew it was likely true, but I had hope.

It's true, here's the article:

"Resident Evil producer Masachika Kawata said in a panel at the San Diego Comic-Con that popular series villain Albert Wesker is not coming back. When asked if there was any way Wesker could survive the events at the end of Resident Evil 5, Kawata firmly stated, no.

"Even if you want Albert Wesker to come back," Kawata told the crowd, "there's no chance he's coming back from that."

This was then confirmed as the "definitive answer" to the possible return of Wesker."

I lost all hope. If only they kept the original creator of the series. RE could of possibly been as good as MGS. RIP Resident Evil. You dead to me............................Is RE 6 announced yet?

EDIT

Thinking about it. Its not only the death of Wesker but most of the developed series. The storyline was the only thing linking RE4 and RE5 to the original games. I feel with the death of Wesker that a lot of the "potentail" elements have died also. Like further development on ADA. Further developments on why Wesker collected Steve's body in CV and what could of become of that. Why didn't they develop a personal feud between Wesker and Claire over that? Why did he collect sample of all the T, G, T Veronica, and progenitor viruses? There was so many thing that seemed were planted early on to be developed later. None of those seeds are going to grow now. There is no puppet master now to give such elements direction.

There is no way that RE is going to top a villain like Wesker. He was very embedded into the overall developed storyline. The only one that could top him was Spencer, and we all seen what became of him. There isn't any villains now. Resident Evil had a "shadowed" world to it. Stuff happening not so much in the games themselves but in notes, documents and reports. All these things were build ups. Most of them included Wesker and they ended built up to a weak conclusion that we were given. Umbrella is gone, Wesker is gone. What else is there now? Game over man. To me, this really sucks I guess its after things like this I can say "lesson learned." I put years of my life into a game I loved. Believing it was going some where great. Where really it stalled its storyline, while excelling in game play for the most part. I wish it played out better.

They are also talking about Rebooting the series after Dark Side Chronicles. I don't even know what tho think about that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I lost all hope. If only they kept the original creator of the series. RE could of possibly been as good as MGS.

Not only is the MGS series really not that good as far as plot goes, but the original RE games had silly plots that made no sense more often than not. Code Veronica being the worst offender here with the second coming of Wesker, a stupid decision in the first place that pretty much fucked up the RE mythos. And don't tell me it isn't obvious it was tacked-on at the last minute. Shameful, really. I for one am glad to hear that Wesker will stay dead this time.

Death May Die said:
Thinking about it. Its not only the death of Wesker but most of the developed series. The storyline was the only thing linking RE4 and RE5 to the original games.

May I remind you that Wesker was dead for good before CV? That he only came back then because of a gross retcon?

Death May Die said:
I feel with the death of Wesker that a lot of the "potentail" elements have died also. Like further development on ADA.

Nah. And Ada serving as Wesker's underling wasn't all that cool anyway. She works better as her own girl.

Death May Die said:
Further developments on why Wesker collected Steve's body in CV and what could of become of that. Why didn't they develop a personal feud between Wesker and Claire over that? Why did he collect sample of all the T, G, T Veronica, and progenitor viruses? There was so many thing that seemed were planted early on to be developed later. None of those seeds are going to grow now. There is no puppet master now to give such elements direction.

Dude the truth is there's no reason. It never made any sense, nor did it have any purpose. Why would they even bother with Steve anyway? He sucked, and the T-Veronica virus itself sucked. It was a bad idea in the first place, not unlike RE0. Claire's weepy, forced pseudo-love story with Steve was also rather embarrassing and you should be glad it's been forgotten. Wesker as a puppet master failed. He was amusing as a super mutant badass but never had the shoulders to support an actually well-crafted worldwide conspiracy. He was just too small-time for that. It'd be a lot more logical for a "puppet master" to actual remain in the shadows, never taking part in the crazy experiments or injecting himself with unstable viruses. That's what puppet masters do.

Death May Die said:
All these things were build ups. Most of them included Wesker and they ended built up to a weak conclusion that we were given.

You're mistaken. The Wesker Reports for example were never building up to anything. Rather they were trying to rationalize all the crazy plot holes CV and subsequent games introduced by retconning various elements of the story. It never led to anything, and it only seemed great to people because they were ignoring all the nonsensical stuff.

Death May Die said:
Umbrella is gone, Wesker is gone. What else is there now?

The rival corporations hinted at as early as in Resident Evil 2? You know, the guys Ada was supposed to be working for and all that before some idiot decided that WESKER had to be the ultimate villain simply because they couldn't think of another character for the job. Despite him having died very satisfyingly in the first game. I'll tell you what, you were saying Wesker was the best villain of the series? Fuck that, I like Birkin and Mr. T way, way better. Even Nemesis.

Death May Die said:
They are also talking about Rebooting the series after Dark Side Chronicles. I don't even know what tho think about that.

If they finally hired a competent writer it would be great.

Well we simply disagree. I for one was very surprised to see the return of Wesker and if anything, it attracted me even more to the series. But maybe it was simply because CV was on a new console at the time, the Dreamcast. CV wasn't by any means ground breaking. I think the series "story" wise started to stall when RE 3 came out. But I still really enjoyed those games. I guess what I'm saying is I stayed with the series, even while seeing its flaws developing more and more I still stood by it. Thinking it would pay off. Nope. To me it was all a build up. I started playing RE when I was young so I guess I have a soft spot for it. I have been with RE at least twice as longer than I've been with Berserk. So try under stand, after all the RE forums, and sites, and news monitoring I've done over the past 9 years or so years, that is has ended with me joining the army of fans throwing they're hands up saying "that's it, I've had enough." Not my proudest moment I guess. Fucking CAPCOM. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Well we simply disagree. I for one was very surprised to see the return of Wesker and if anything, it attracted me even more to the series.

Well yeah, who wasn't surprised? I mean it was a blatant and unnecessary retcon that added nothing to the game itself (since it happened only through cinematics that don't have any bearing on the story). I can understand why it intrigued you and sparked your imagination at the time (I was all over Super-Wesker and his reptilian eyes myself), but looking at it objectively it is rather lame.

Death May Die said:
I think the series "story" wise started to stall when RE 3 came out. But I still really enjoyed those games. I guess what I'm saying is I stayed with the series, even while seeing its flaws developing more and more I still stood by it. Thinking it would pay off. Nope. To me it was all a build up.

To be honest, I found holes in RE2's plot on my first playthrough and decided to basically not care about it making sense then. Not to mention the lack of common sense frequently encountered in the game, such as the fact the police station needs you to solve puzzles to open simple doors. And once you start thinking about it, you realize that even the first game had its moments. Things that only make sense in the context of a video game but that are actually ridiculous, like having a room that triggers a complex death trap if you remove a shotgun from a display.

Death May Die said:
I started playing RE when I was young so I guess I have a soft spot for it. I have been with RE at least twice as longer than I've been with Berserk. So try under stand, after all the RE forums, and sites, and news monitoring I've done over the past 9 years or so years, that is has ended with me joining the army of fans throwing they're hands up saying "that's it, I've had enough." Not my proudest moment I guess. Fucking CAPCOM. :schierke:

I understand very well, and I think you're right to blame the fact you got into the series when you were still young. But honestly you also have yourself to blame in part for getting your hopes up so much, considering the series' history. Go check my latest post in the Mass Effect 2 thread. You'll see what really caring about the continuation of a story means.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That iPhone Resident Evil 4 game was released today:

http://kotaku.com/5325600/oh-yeah-resident-evil-4-iphone-now-available

Looks pretty shitty. Buuuuut for fans of the series, maybe it's worth it? I wonder if it's the entire game, or just a few key sections. I can't imagine they crammed it all in there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Looks pretty shitty. Buuuuut for fans of the series, maybe it's worth it? I wonder if it's the entire game, or just a few key sections. I can't imagine they crammed it all in there.

As a fan of the series I'm absolutely not compelled to play this at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RE5 was just released for PC this week. It's on sale over at GamersGate for $45. (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RE5/resident-evil-5)

I may pick this up. Any glowing recommendations?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
RE5 was just released for PC this week. It's on sale over at GamersGate for $45. (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RE5/resident-evil-5)

I think it's a fun game, especially when played in co-op. But if you're not a fan of the Resident Evil series and have other games waiting to be played, you could always wait for the price to drop down even more.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

What? the first 13 pages of this thread werent enough? :troll:

Seriously don't bother. $45? If you havent played it by now, dont rush, wait till the price plummets. And yea its way more fun on co-op but other than that your not missing anything. Unless your really bored and have nothing to play until Mass Effect 2 comes out, hold off :guts:

Top Bottom