Resident Evil 5

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Wesker dies?

Yes, somehow my question can actually be a spoiler since I'm asking after reading some of these spoilers. Since I just bought Killzone 2 a.k.a the most hyped game of all time, I'm going to hold off buying any new games so RE5 will have to wait.

Just beat it.

Resident Evil 5.
..sucked. Sucked, sucked, sucked. The story is a waste of time. The end boss is a joke. This was everything I had feared. Lame!
Save your money.
Let's just remember Resident Evil when it was good.

Why did it suck you ask?

-Chris literally punches a 20 ton boulder out of his way!
-There's SO much Metal Gear about Wesker this time around it makes you ill. He's engineered?! The Wesker Children?! Les Enfants anyone!? What's his big undoing? A fucking syringe!!!! Hi Vamp!
-Character development? There is none (Not that I had hope for any, but still.)
-Jill becomes Wesker's sidekick after they plummet of the side of a moutain! Then becomes a Nina Williams bitch with Spiderman-like abilities.
-They failed in tying up loose ends.
-Someone at Capcom LOVES Gears of War 2. Or more specifically the ending boss in Gears 2. Oh, you'll see.
-So many bosses in the game are the SAME THING. ONLY BIGGER.
-Oh yeah and they (Chris, Sheva and Wesker) accidently land in an ACTIVE FUCKING VOLCANO!!!!!!!!!

I could go on, but I'm afraid I need head out.

Stay dead Resident Evil, stay dead.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I like how they tied Jill back into the story. I mean they explained that she was never really cured from when Nemesis infected her so Wesker used that to make her "spiderman" llike. I haven't beaten the game yet but I like it so far. I'm right at the end, about to get on the boat.

Oburi said:
I like how they tied Jill back into the story. I mean they explained that she was never really cured from when Nemesis infected her so Wesker used that to make her "spiderman" llike. I haven't beaten the game yet but I like it so far. I'm right at the end, about to get on the boat.

Sorry sir,
but where are you getting that she was 'Infected'? To my recollection, she never was.
CAPCOM IS FUCKIN LAME, THAT IS ALL.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
Shame on me. But at the very least man, they can try to make an effort.

Yeah, I already mourned whatever story potential Resident Evil had long ago, it started with Code Veronica, and RE4 was like the formal announcement from Capcom not to worry about it at all, because they aren't, and to just have fun. When you come down to it, that's all the plots ever were, if some parts were better than others, it was just because they were using a classic story/horror device. That's why even though I haven't played RE5, I'll read through every spoiler tag in this thread. There's really nothing to be "spoiled." =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after reading the spoilers, I can't say that I'm surprised with the direction Capcom took. It's in line with RE4. But that game sounds more entertaining to me :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
Sorry sir,
but where are you getting that she was 'Infected'? To my recollection, she never was.
CAPCOM IS FUCKIN LAME, THAT IS ALL.

You do realize that there is a lot more story that's not just in the games. Have you read the profiles that you unlock throughout the game? They explain everything there. If you don't like the direction they took thats fine but don't say the story makes no sense. I understand it fine and I don't have a problem with it.

Griffith

Oburi said:
They explain everything there. If you don't like the direction they took thats fine but don't say the story makes no sense. I understand it fine and I don't have a problem with it.

He didn't say the story didn't make sense, he said it sucked and was a waste of time. I believe him. =)

You know, I loved this game. I don't think it was intended to be the "last" RE of its kind. I think people assumed it was going to wrap every thing up, loose ends and what not. Is it easy? Not entirely.

Not to offend anyone, but gears of war 2 had you go into a worm. I mean, I don't think that game takes its self anymore seriously than RE does.

Like I noted before the original creator of RE wasn't involved in this game, or its story. Which, tjat is kind of sad. RE does have a lot of holes, more than its share. But there is some good story structure. Sadly to me, that structure fractured with RE 3. I think CV actually added to it. I think RE 4 was great fun, like RE 5, but didn't add really much structure. I have to admit, I liked the idea of Wesker coming back in CV. I think there for a "while" RE had a lot of very interesting and ironic twist and turns. For the better. But I can agree that storylines wise, I think the developers have gone crossed eyed.
I liked Wesker, I like the way he moved and handled himself. Was the final battle epic? I won't say it was. But I hope he comes back, as cheesy as that sounds. But he probably won't. All I know, is I found him pretty cool, and thought he should of been in the game a lot more. Funny, I always thought of Ada screwing him over, would be his end. But this game makes it pretty straight forward.
The game plays great. I like it a lot, I think they're a little too generous with the unlockables. I look forward to the next RE, as I always have. RE5 is very entertaining and can keep me busy for a good while. If, I get bored, I can always put time into Oblivion.

Death May Die said:
Not to offend anyone, but gears of war 2 had you go into a worm. I mean, I don't think that game takes its self anymore seriously than RE does.

I can totally buy the COG boys being swallowed by a giant worm and having to literally saw themselves out. At least the worm level was creative from a design standpoint. In fact out of the whole of Gears 2, that level was the only one not reminiscent of the predecessor.

How can anyone who has played RE5 not shake their heads at how blatantly Capcom has taken ideas from other titles?!

Again, here's a list.

MGS Series.
-Wesker is the last survivor of the 'Weaker Children'. = Les Enfants
-To gain the upper hand on Wesker in the final fight, you must stab him with a syringe that will make him not so super anymore. = The Vamp fight from MGS4
-Wesker's whole reason for being is right out of ANY MGS plot.
Gears of War.
-The satellite gun = Hammer of Dawn. Come the fuck on!!!
-The Excella monster on the boat. = The final damn boss in Gears 2.
-The whole poorly executed 'cover' system.

For some pivotal points in the game, I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. I wasn't thinking, "Oh wow, this is cool." During the points of the game I played hours to get to I yelled, "Are you kidding me?!" Originality? This game is severely lacking. Ohhh...African Plagas. (Who are really rejects from Blade 2) Big goddamn deal, give me a fucking traditional zombie any day of the weak.

These are some right off the top of my head. There's def more, I'll modify this later.

One last thing. WTF happened to the whole once your in a dark room and you step out into the light you won't be able to see nonsense? As far as I can remember (admittedly I blew through this game) I never had issues with the lighting in this game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea Proj I owe you an apology. I just finished the game with my friend last night and was very disappointed. I was enjoying the game all the way through thinking the end was really going to be worth it...but it was not. It was typical and cheesy. I know what you mean now. I still had fun playing it and will beat a few times on harder difficulty but honestly the story was so lame and the bosses were weak. What happened to this franchise? it could have been so much more...

Oburi said:
What happened to this franchise? it could have been so much more...

Not that we should have been expecting the crown jewel of the series. At this point, I still hold that Resident Evil 2 is and will always be the best RE outing and I know I'm not alone on that one.

I've played the series from it's original release. The sequels, the shooters, the prequels, the REmakes, I've played them all and as time goes on I constantly yell at myself for expecting them to get better. They've only gotten worse with age.

But when I think about it, I know why I'm so flustered. It was THE WESKER REPORTS that have driven me mad. They allude to so much. Actually, wait, ALOT pisses me off about this series.

Do the writers of these games take into account the past stories?! Steve was gay, but what the fuck happened to him?! Sherry was captured by Wesker. "There's something about that girrrlllll" WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT MEAN?!

Ugh. After The Wesker Files I was expecting something much grander in scale. There's was even an element of mystery in RE4, what was Wesker planning? Why release the Wesker Reports, drop all these hints...then UP AND FORGET ABOUT THEM.

Seriously, this isn't nitpicking. I just think Capcom is sloppy. I'm stupid. It's all about the bottom line. Can't blame the developers, they have bills to pay. It's a gorgeous game, awesome to gawk at. But come on, you're telling me none of these fuckers can do better than this?!

I'm through with RE. I've tried and tried. Star Wars let me down. The new Indie made me shiver. Any series I held dear when I was young has been milked to death and RUINED. Enough's enough. No more for me. I'm through lining the pockets of these bastards!!!

I guess it's too much to expect QUALITY these days. QUALITY in story telling!!! These companies are So fuckin' worried about presenting something to me in HD it seems they forget WHY I'm playing this piece of shit in the first place.

Before Capcom, spends however much money making something look pretty GIVE IT SOME FUCKING BRAINS!!!

I'm done with this thread....for today.

And don't buy this game.

Furthermore: Resident Evil's bedrock has been uh....ZOMBIES. Slow moving undead that want to EAT LIVING FLESH! You want to give me the Plagas nonsense, fine! You know how you make the slow-stupid zombies MORE THREATENING? PUT MORE OF THEM ON THE SCREEN AND GIVE ME LESS AMMO. The dread of facing a horde moving slowly toward me is more fuckin scary then DUKING IT OUT WITH PLAGAS WHO YIELD FARMING EQUIPMENT OR AK'S! Resident Evil ISN'T SURVIVAL HORROR anymore. It's become an action series. Gears and MGS have influenced the boys at Capcom so much they have forgotten what series they themselves churned out.

SPOILER VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuXkVzBdJQ
Another reason not to take Resident Evil seriously anymore.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Glad to see someone that agrees with me. Survival horror was what made this series, not this moronic and senseless action adventure shit. When i thought RE3 was the odd one, and not deserving of a main title because of it's lame redundant story, i never predicted it would get this bad.
RE4 was the last one i bought. Got caught in the hype. But even though RE5 is getting great reviews, i'm not happy anymore with the direction of this series. So i happily stole it. And thank jebus for piracy.
I'm gonna go now and play the last great RE game that is REmake.

"Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi, he confirmed that RE5 will probably be the very last of its kind. In other words, as RE4 reinvented the long-running survival/horror series, RE6 will do the same thing. We have no idea what kind of overhaul we can expect, but we get the feeling that it's going to include something more action-oriented;"

(sigh)

I think the only survival horror series still not completely sucking is Siren.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite RE is actually 4, though I REALLY liked 2 as well.

I don't think you should get that ticked over the Wesker Reports, as they seemed to me more like backstory than anything essential to the plot, or for that matter, anything they'd actually follow-up.  It'd be like someone full of rage at Kojima for not going more indepth based on the content of the Metal Gear Solid "Radio Dramas."

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Judging from the last couple of posts i'd say that RE5 managed to blow some peoples fuses. *shrugs*
We all knew beforehand how RE 5 will turn out gameplay-wise, so that's not exactly something to argue about afterwards. Storywise, it's the usual contrived firecracker, just like any other installment of the series. And as always, that doesn't take any kind of fun out of playing those games (for me).^^

Well, if it's any consolation at all, RE 6 will likely be yet another reboot, with special attention to reestablish the gameplay and general "feel" of the first episodes.

Apart from that, there's still Darkside Chronicles as a quasi RE 2 remake. Even though it's another railshooter like Umbrella Chronicles (which i didn't dislike at all).

You know I do like the game, I really do. But some people got good points. This game had been more than "hype" it had other games depending on it. Things were put into other games, to lead up to this one, and those things that were planted, were hardly mentioned.

-Like the Wesker Reports after CV came out, all referred to many characters, and revealed that Wesker was kinda the "puppet master." This seemed so down played. I liked Wesker in RE 5, I didn't like that none of the info in the reports was referred to. I mean, UC did a little. The only thing that was established was the "progenitor virus" that was the only connection made between the two. There was "load" of stuff, that CAPCOM could of intertwined to tie many of the RE games in but they didn't. Its like they took the storyline details, and simplified them. Many important pieces were being down played or not showing up entirely. Why build up a person, or a thing in one game, and when everything comes to a head, hardly work from, or reference from all that past material mentioned in previous games.

-I liked the game play, but I fellowed this game from the start. CAPCOM said they wanted to enhanced the gameplay, to make it something more like Gears of War. Well, they did, and they took a few other things as well.

-
To many people involved with Wesker simply didn't show up,
again in reference to the Wesker reports. Where is Sherry? Where is Steve? Where is Ada? Wasn't Hunk suppost to be one of the main characters? What happened to him? How was Ada screwing over Wesker like she said, how did she do it, who did she do it for? Wasn't Steve revived from CV? Wasn't Wesker going to make him one of his minions? Wouldn't Claire have something to say about that? Why wouldn't she factor into the story as well.

-
Wesker's "death" not knowing if he is or not for sure. Left a army of "potentail" great plot lines, but in stead it left a army of plot holes. What about these freaking viruses? T-Vericonica Virus, T Virus, G Virus, and all of this freaking "DATA" they refer to in every game. What was all of that for? To tie the BOW's into machines like in UC? Wesker isn't going to use Alexia's remains he gathered to enhance himself, or another virus, cross breed them or any thing? I guess not, it comes down to the progentor virus, and even when its finally taking a role in the games, they down play it and introduce Weskers "Ubolous....or what ever."
Way too many questions.

Носферату said:
Just kinda putting this out there, HUNK was just the top Umbrella commando, he didn't work for Wesker or anything like that.
exactly. He was a fan favorite character though and thats why hes been in mercenaries. He was just the guy to secure the T-virus for umbrella.

Death May Die said:
Where is Sherry? Where is Steve? Where is Ada? Wasn't Hunk suppost to be one of the main characters? What happened to him? How was Ada screwing over Wesker like she said, how did she do it, who did she do it for? Wasn't Steve revived from CV? Wasn't Wesker going to make him one of his minions? Wouldn't Claire have something to say about that? Why wouldn't she factor into the story as well.

-
What about these freaking viruses? T-Vericonica Virus, T Virus, G Virus, and all of this freaking "DATA" they refer to in every game. What was all of that for? To tie the BOW's into machines like in UC? Wesker isn't going to use Alexia's remains he gathered to enhance himself, or another virus, cross breed them or any thing? I guess not, it comes down to the progentor virus, and even when its finally taking a role in the games, they down play it and introduce Weskers "Uroboros....or what ever."
Way too many questions.

First off I'm putting this as a whole spoiler because there are many tied in here - better safe then sorry.

You need to read all the files. They all tie in together.
Basically Wesker is also manufactured by Spencer, the "wesker children". Then as you should know Birken injected Wesker with a new kind of "virus" which really was injected into each wesker child to see which one was superior enough to survive it - Albert survived and became stronger. But to begin with it was in Africa that Spencer and co discovered the progenorator virus which they injected into Lisa Trevor and her family - the others had no transformation and were disposed of. Lisa helped then create the T&G Virus while in the meantime Alexia, whom was also manufactured by her father, ended up creating the T-Veronica (named after her great grandma veronica, which whom their father used the genes of to make them out of I believe) after creating the "ancient virus" using queen ants -this "ancient virus" had no real effect on humans until it was combined with the progenorator virus, which together created the T-Veronica. she and her brother injected their father with it and locked him the basement with no real results - he become "Nosferatu". so then Alexia decided that she needed to take things in her own hands and at 10 years old, she injected herself with the Veronica and went into a test tube sleep in order to maintain her mental abilities along with the new powers. When she woke up Wesker was taken aback and wanted a sample, so Wesker would collect a sample of the Veronica via Steve's dead body. Backing up a bit here, umbrella started to kill off some of its employers mostly for profit and secrecy so they went and killed Birken, but before he died he used the G-virus on himself, this was his pride and joy and unlike the T-virus those infected would continue to transform. Sherry, being his daughter, was who could be infected and survive, so birken went after her and tagged her. Claire however stopped the mutation by giving her and antidote but the G-virus genes were still present in her body. Because of this, despite Leon's attempts to protect her, Wesker, I believe, got a hold of her so that he could withdraw from her a sample of the g-virus. Ada is basically just hired help via Wesker, she has no real motive to stick around besides that she has a thing for Leon and thus why she was brought back for RE4. in RE4 we saw Las Plagues; the religious cult Los Illuminates discovered this "virus" i believe when some minors broke it open in some fossils, bringing the spores back to life. Anyway, this is what Ada was hired to get a sample of. Krauser kidnapped Ashley graham and ada was called in to keep tabs on leon and snag back the virus, again, which she did. Ada ends up giving a fake sample to wesker and gives the real sample of Las Plagus to "the Agency" She also ends up killing Krauser and I'm sure if I were Wesker this would mark an end of our team up, she betrayed them. Wesker managed to get the las plagus sample from the "Agency" however. and of course the T-virus created all the zombies and special infected. This is also what is in Nemesis (and Tyrant). In RE3 Jill is infected by Nemesis with the T-virus. Carlos gets her the treatment and she is fine. however, the years pass and she joins the BSAA as one of the original 11 with Chris. The two of them run into wesker after freshly killing Spencer. the wesker children have a type of instinctive drive to fine Spencer, so for some "odd reason" wesker had to find Spencer but Spencer leaked out information and wesker no longer needed him, killed him. "you a god? pathetic" basically is what wesker thinks and kills him. This is when Jill tackles wesker out the window and wesker steals her. BSAA bankrupted umbrella so wesker manipulated Excella so that her company, TriCell, would basically revamp umbrella so that wesker could create more viruses. He created the uroborus virus. Wesker intended to use this on Jill but realized beforehand that it was just too poisonous and killed the host right away. however, after putting Jill in the tube and testing her blood he found the T-virus dormant within her and through her he was able to find antibodies against the virus with he took and used to dull down the poisonous effects of the uroborous, creating an effective uroborus virus, which is what is used in RE5 and the villagers in RE5 are infected by another type/or the same type of Plagus which have been now modified to create "perfection". There are many types of Plagus (mostly depending on what it has infected, ex: El Gigantie Plagus, spider, leech, tentacle, crab; some of which Leon ran into), but in RE5 they have been perfected and there are 3 main types now which have different results, some favorable some not-some take awhile to take effect, some dont work as well. And to end this Claire is now part of some ant-iumbrella movement and was last seen with leon in the airport scare in Degeneration. WillPharma has the g-virus. keep in mind umbrella (and now tricell who restarted umbrella or is trying to via wesker through execlla) is an underground BOW seller, they basically sell these nasty viruses like a terrorist organization. So claire is still around but she is not any sort of special op or government agent like Leon and the others.

I hope that answers that!

Griffith

I played the first and last third of the game with my friends and am looking forward to completing the wetlands stuff to see if it blows me away, but as of now, here's what I think of it in a nutshell: it's basically more of the same from RE4, but without the charm.

I can expand on that further, down to details, if anyone cares.

Top Bottom