Resident Evil 5

TriFrog said:
I hope that answers that!
Alright. So everything you've written does seem to 'make sense', at least in a Resident Evil way. To be perfectly honest, I have not read EVERY file in RE5, but will def check them out in an hour or so now. I guess it bothers me that if they do in fact tie up loose ends, it's in files and not part of the narrative of the game. A cheap way out IMO.

Resident Evil 6, or the whisper of it being a Reboot. What do they mean by that? Gameplay wise or...story? :gulps:

Griffith said:
I can expand on that further, down to details, if anyone cares.

Please do sir.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oh, now i see, so the enemies in RE5 are infected with a "perfected" Las Plagas virus. That explains the extra crappy AI.

Proj2501 said:
Resident Evil 6, or the whisper of it being a Reboot. What do they mean by that? Gameplay wise or...story? :gulps:
Aparently the original story writer had no part and wanted no part in RE5 so I'm guessing if there is a series reboot it will hopefully be him coming back and fixing things up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Giant post ahoy!

Griffith said:
P.S. 360/PS3 comparison:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46684.html

Pretty indiscernible for the most part, there's parts I think look better on 360, and parts I think look better on PS3. The main difference seems to be slightly higher contrast on the 360, so it's pretty negligible, subjective, and easily changed on one's TV.

You sure about that? :carcus:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-resident-evil-5-article?page=2

Proj2501 said:
Well I'm a few hours into RE5. It's Resident Evil meets the Temple of Doom. This isn't the serious sequel I had wanted.

The last serious Resident Evil game was RE3. I think it's about time people get over it. Though honestly this game seemed more "serious" to me than RE: CV or RE4.

Proj2501 said:
It's fun but that's about it so far.
Jill
has literally morphed into Nina Williams. Say otherwise and you'll get smacked, cuz she has.

Yeah I don't really understand the need to change her hair color.

Proj2501 said:
-Chris literally punches a 20 ton boulder out of his way!

I found that funny. I mean look at this arms.

Proj2501 said:
-There's SO much Metal Gear about Wesker this time around it makes you ill. He's engineered?! The Wesker Children?! Les Enfants anyone!? What's his big undoing? A fucking syringe!!!! Hi Vamp!

Thanks for spoiling me MGS4's story. :puck: And really, that Wesker engineering story was what I expected. I was glad for it. The original retcon of his death was ridiculous and needed to be addressed. This is really just tying the loose ends that started with CV. Hopefully now he's dead once and for all. As for the syringue thing, really considering his super-powers that was logical. And I don't mean to rain on your MGS loving parade but Kojima hasn't invented anything and if it's not all featured in earlier games it's from prominent Sci-Fi novels.

Proj2501 said:
-Character development? There is none (Not that I had hope for any, but still.)

Now this makes me think you're being irrational. Has there ever been any real character development in a RE game? At least they successfully introduced Sheva and made the chemistry work between Chris and her.

Proj2501 said:
-They failed in tying up loose ends.

How so? At least the Wesker bullshit is finally over and they've explained that cryptic Progenitor virus thing as well.

Proj2501 said:
-Oh yeah and they (Chris, Sheva and Wesker) accidently land in an ACTIVE FUCKING VOLCANO!!!!!!!!!

I'd say that's pretty much in line with the rest of the series. I mean for once we're not getting a goddamn self-destructing base, I think we can appreciate that, right?

Death May Die said:
Like I noted before the original creator of RE wasn't involved in this game, or its story. Which, tjat is kind of sad.

He was involved in RE4 so really, let's not use this as an excuse. All RE games have had LAME stories. Full of holes. Even the early ones had stuff that didn't make any sense. Here's one straight from the original game: how come Wesker, the leader of a SWAT team is really a fucking scientist from Umbrella?

Death May Die said:
RE does have a lot of holes, more than its share. But there is some good story structure. Sadly to me, that structure fractured with RE 3. I think CV actually added to it. I think RE 4 was great fun, like RE 5, but didn't add really much structure. I have to admit, I liked the idea of Wesker coming back in CV.

I'd say the real fracture was the retcon of Wesker's death in CV. RE3's premise was maybe a little contrived, but CV is where the bullshit really started. Claire assaults Umbrella's HQ head-one, the villain's a transvestite, Chris can fly a jet-plane, there's a secret antarctic base, the list goes on.

Death May Die said:
I liked Wesker, I like the way he moved and handled himself. Was the final battle epic? I won't say it was.

Yeah that's one thing that could have been done better. His final form was unimaginative.

Proj2501 said:
-Wesker's whole reason for being is right out of ANY MGS plot.

Oh come on. That's so vague man. Wesker's been on to the same BS since forever now. I can't comment on MGS4's plot but this whole power-mongering thing is just old.

Proj2501 said:
-The whole poorly executed 'cover' system.

I didn't mind the cover system actually.

Proj2501 said:
One last thing. WTF happened to the whole once your in a dark room and you step out into the light you won't be able to see nonsense? As far as I can remember (admittedly I blew through this game) I never had issues with the lighting in this game.

Yeah they'd announced a while back that they'd dropped it.

Proj2501 said:
Not that we should have been expecting the crown jewel of the series.

Looks like you were though by your comments.

Proj2501 said:
But when I think about it, I know why I'm so flustered. It was THE WESKER REPORTS that have driven me mad. They allude to so much. Actually, wait, ALOT pisses me off about this series.

Like I always say, it's all CV's fault. :void:

Proj2501 said:
Do the writers of these games take into account the past stories?!

Honestly? I don't think so. :sad: But like Griff's saying, this isn't something people can realistically complain about in a single RE game (in this instance, 5). The whole series sucks story-wise.

Proj2501 said:
Steve was gay, but what the fuck happened to him?! Sherry was captured by Wesker. "There's something about that girrrlllll" WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT MEAN?!

Dude I have a list of shit like that, that's so LONG you would have a nosebleed just viewing it. It's a problem with the whole series. BUT, I will say that RE5 pleasantly surprised me in that it DID try to go in the right direction. It wasn't enough, not nearly so, but it tried. It at least referenced older events. Fuck man, it mentioned the G-virus, James Marcus and the T-Veronica virus. That's the most effort that's ever been put in a RE game's background so far. They probably did overtime to come up with it.

Proj2501 said:
Ugh. After The Wesker Files I was expecting something much grander in scale. There's was even an element of mystery in RE4, what was Wesker planning? Why release the Wesker Reports, drop all these hints...then UP AND FORGET ABOUT THEM.

Welcome to the Resident Evil series. :ganishka: But yeah, we're in agreement.

Proj2501 said:
Seriously, this isn't nitpicking. I just think Capcom is sloppy. I'm stupid. It's all about the bottom line. Can't blame the developers, they have bills to pay. It's a gorgeous game, awesome to gawk at. But come on, you're telling me none of these fuckers can do better than this?!

They need to hire writers. Hell man, they need to hire US! :badbone: Fuck me, I'd got this really nice RE6 scenario in the back of my head, truly epic and tying all loose ends...

Proj2501 said:
Furthermore: Resident Evil's bedrock has been uh....ZOMBIES. Slow moving undead that want to EAT LIVING FLESH! You want to give me the Plagas nonsense, fine! You know how you make the slow-stupid zombies MORE THREATENING? PUT MORE OF THEM ON THE SCREEN AND GIVE ME LESS AMMO.

So what do you do then? Just kill them with the knife? Run away? There's a limit to this dude.

NightCrawler said:
When there's no pressure, the Silent Hill team delivers.

Can't really say the Silent Hill series has been getting better with time unfortunately.

Death May Die said:
-Like the Wesker Reports after CV came out, all referred to many characters, and revealed that Wesker was kinda the "puppet master." This seemed so down played.

That's because the Wesker Reports were put together in 5 minutes in order to justify the completely useless retcon of his death in Code Veronica. Half of what's in them is nonsensical.

Death May Die said:
I liked Wesker in RE 5, I didn't like that none of the info in the reports was referred to. I mean, UC did a little. The only thing that was established was the "progenitor virus" that was the only connection made between the two. There was "load" of stuff, that CAPCOM could of intertwined to tie many of the RE games in but they didn't. Its like they took the storyline details, and simplified them. Many important pieces were being down played or not showing up entirely. Why build up a person, or a thing in one game, and when everything comes to a head, hardly work from, or reference from all that past material mentioned in previous games.

That's true, but it's the same with every game in the series. RE5 did more than every other game in that regard.

-I liked the game play, but I fellowed this game from the start. CAPCOM said they wanted to enhanced the gameplay, to make it something more like Gears of War. Well, they did, and they took a few other things as well.

Death May Die said:
in stead it left a army of plot holes. What about these freaking viruses? T-Vericonica Virus, T Virus, G Virus, and all of this freaking "DATA" they refer to in every game.

Again, I very much agree with that. But guys, you need to wake up, it's been like that from the beginning. I've honestly be let down by this series' plots since the original game.

Griffith said:
I played the first and last third of the game with my friends and am looking forward to completing the wetlands stuff to see if it blows me away, but as of now, here's what I think of it in a nutshell: it's basically more of the same from RE4, but without the charm.

Ah, finally someone that sees eye to eye with me. This game is just RE4: Africa. It's not as great as RE4 was in its time, however I enjoyed it for what it is. I actually was pleasantly surprised at almost everything.

Proj2501 said:
Alright. So everything you've written does seem to 'make sense', at least in a Resident Evil way. To be perfectly honest, I have not read EVERY file in RE5, but will def check them out in an hour or so now. I guess it bothers me that if they do in fact tie up loose ends, it's in files and not part of the narrative of the game. A cheap way out IMO.

Dude that's just Wesker's Reports all over again. What else did you expect?

Proj2501 said:

Won't be story-wise, but by all means it should. They should retcon it all again so that it makes sense. A hard choice, but they should.

TriFrog said:
Aparently the original story writer had no part and wanted no part in RE5 so I'm guessing if there is a series reboot it will hopefully be him coming back and fixing things up.

Fuck I hope he never comes back. Jesus man are you crazy? You think the previous games made any sense at all? There were all utterly full of shit and I hope the former writer dies in a fire. What they need is to hire a bunch of talented writers and not ask the janitor to do it.

Well, after that giant defensive rant I have no steam left for my own complaints... Hmm, let's just say the bosses were overall weak, the game was really too much of an RE4 clone, it was too short after the standard RE4 set, the gameplay should have evolved more, the story should have been better, there was no need for the villain sidekicks. Much more I could expand on, especially about the similarities with RE4. But in short, this game had a dire lack of creative talent working on it. Is it the worst in the series though? Not to me. Is the series dying? Not any more than it was after RE: CV. Hopefully the next game will have tons of great folks working on it and will blow our expectations... But then again I say that everytime.

Aazealh said:
Well, after that giant defensive rant I have no steam left for my own complaints... Hmm, let's just say the bosses were overall weak, the game was really too much of an RE4 clone, it was too short after the standard RE4 set, the gameplay should have evolved more, the story should have been better, there was no need for the villain sidekicks. Much more I could expand on, especially about the similarities with RE4. But in short, this game had a dire lack of creative talent working on it.

I agree with every sentence. Plain and simple.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Giant post ahoy!

No kidding!^^

Aazealh said:
Yeah I don't really understand the need to change her hair color.

It's really just one of those really outdated quirks to make something more exotic (even alien..) by changing the hair color. Well, they did try to explain that particular change and i have to say it's fairly acceptable. I mean, it's not like that made her particularly hideous and i'm thankful for that.

Aazealh said:
I found that funny. I mean look at this arms.

Chris trained his superhuman muscles for years because he had a score to settle with boulders in general. I would like to commend him for that. Apart from that though, it sure was the laugh of the day. That can't be bad.

Aazealh said:
Now this makes me think you're being irrational. Has there ever been any real character development in a RE game? At least they successfully introduced Sheva and made the chemistry work between Chris and her.

Character development is not one of RE's strong points, very true. Still, most of the main characters still manage to be quite charming. So much even that i'd feel quite angry if any of them would kick the bucket in future installments.

Aazealh said:
He was involved in RE4 so really, let's not use this as an excuse. All RE games have had LAME stories. Full of holes. Even the early ones had stuff that didn't make any sense. Here's one straight from the original game: how come Wesker, the leader of a SWAT team is really a fucking scientist from Umbrella?

If memory serves he outright told Chris back then that STARS was his favorite side project. It's yet another testament to his quasi omnipotent nature, i guess. I never quite liked that particular plot twist. Dead villains should remain dead, otherwise it's just pointless and tedious.

Aazealh said:
They need to hire writers. Hell man, they need to hire US! :badbone: Fuck me, I'd got this really nice RE6 scenario in the back of my head, truly epic and tying all loose ends...

I imagine it would be one epic text adventure.^^ Like, Typing of the Dead, eh? Just kidding, 'kay?

As a closing comment, i think we all pretty much agree that RE will probably never really deliver storywise. On the other they are a whole lot of fun, nonetheless. If all the rumors about RE 6 reboot are true then i'm all for it. Really, the best choice for this franchise is a complete return to the confined survival aspect of the first few episodes. They really should step away from fast action and railshooting with massive amounts of ammo, because it's getting old pretty quick. And one thing they should definitely drop is this forced team gameplay. I kind of liked that buddy system from RE Zero but it could have been toned down a little. I can't even remeber how often i've seen a game-over screen because the a.i. decided to commit suicide.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
Please do sir.

Well, Aaz actually covered a lot of it on the RE5 side of things. I'm honestly surprised we do see so eye to eye on it because he was really looking forward to it while I wasn't even planning to play it, and yet we arrived at more or less the same conclusions. I'll add that I too was impressed that it tied all the RE bullshit together, not how, but just that it did it, which is impressive for this series. This basically was the ULTIMATE Resident Evil story fans have been demanding, and it was taking itself seriously, far more than 4, and far too much for my tastes. It's a case of be careful what you wish for, because yeah, it's the equivalent of Revenge of the Sith.

Which brings us back to the strength of RE4 in hindsight, it's freedom from all that. It did it's own thing, did it well, and was fun for it. I prefer almost everything about 4 except the graphics, including the controls and gameplay (maybe it's because I'm going from a Gamecube to dual shock, but 4 was just smoother to me). The setting, not Spain over Africa, but the environment created within the game. Including the silly little elements of whimsy like the merchant, another thing I missed (along with the attache case system, even in that regard this one was too detached, and again, so serious). The characters, I'll take action Leon's quips and the lively villains of 4, including the Ganados, any day over 5's straight and dull offerings, a lot of elements of which were tired at the end of Code Veronica, the reason WHY they went in a new direction (and if you're going to relive RE's past, why not toss some zombie's in there?). Anyway, for me, 5 works on one level, the gameplay, and I've been there and done that when it was fresh in RE4; which, worked on two levels, the gameplay interactions, that were legitimately compelling, and the plot, characters, and cutscenes which provided an action-horror pastiche with humor, pizzazz, and no apologies. Like I said, charming, and also refreshing after... well, something like Resident Evil 5. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
It's really just one of those really outdated quirks to make something more exotic (even alien..) by changing the hair color. Well, they did try to explain that particular change and i have to say it's fairly acceptable. I mean, it's not like that made her particularly hideous and i'm thankful for that.

Yeah I don't even really mind it and I know they explained it, but I also don't think it was needed. Maybe it came with the relooking itself, since admittedly the characters don't look like what they did in previous games anyway.

SimplyEd said:
Character development is not one of RE's strong points, very true. Still, most of the main characters still manage to be quite charming. So much even that i'd feel quite angry if any of them would kick the bucket in future installments.

Yeah, same here. They know how to make characters, but for the most part they're fixed entities. Chris hasn't really changed since his introduction. "Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth fighting for... Yeah, it is." And I was really dreading the ending of the game because despite telling people not to spoil me the story a few just had to blurt out that the ending was horrible and awful and I would think so too. So it got me into thinking that Jill would be killed, and that really upset me. Turns out they just didn't like Wesker's final form, which is too bad but is also not too unusual for a RE game (Remember Alexia Ashford? Or even the last RE3 battle? RE4? I think RE1 and 2 are the only ones with a cool ending).

SimplyEd said:
As a closing comment, i think we all pretty much agree that RE will probably never really deliver storywise. On the other they are a whole lot of fun, nonetheless. If all the rumors about RE 6 reboot are true then i'm all for it. Really, the best choice for this franchise is a complete return to the confined survival aspect of the first few episodes. They really should step away from fast action and railshooting with massive amounts of ammo, because it's getting old pretty quick. And one thing they should definitely drop is this forced team gameplay. I kind of liked that buddy system from RE Zero but it could have been toned down a little. I can't even remeber how often i've seen a game-over screen because the a.i. decided to commit suicide.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I mean there could be a good story if only they got themselves one dedicated writers. Seriously it's not like they don't have time to write a story or anything... As for a reboot, same thing. The game can't go back to the original gameplay because it relied on fixed cameras, bad controls and ceaseless backtracking. Do I want auto-aim back? Fuck no. Do I like not being able to walk while aiming? Nooooo.

People keep comparing this game to GeoW2 but honestly they should look at Dead Space. Dead Space was the revelation of 2008 as far as survival horror goes. However, is it really survival horror like the original REs were? Nope. It's easily as action-oriented as RE4, if not even more. In none of the new games do you really FEAR the enemies. In the original RE, even after finishing the game 10 times I'm still anxious of entering a room full of Hunters because I know there's a possibility I won't manage to hit one at the right angle and that he'll jump for my throat. And I know that I last saved the game an hour ago because of some irrational self-imposed restraint. In Dead Space by comparison you're only just concerned about wasting your ammo/health, much like in RE4 or 5. I think the question people need to ask themselves is: "what makes survival horror?" Is it confined spaces? Limited ammo? A small inventory? Or does it go beyond that? And are all those things still possible with today's standards?

Personally I don't think it's possible. A lot of what made the genre hinged on gameplay limitations. Once those are removed the games become way too easy. Now having said that, there's another component to be considered: horror. I think RE4 had some nice moments in that regard. The reanimators were the best, and then there's the village intro and a few other scenes as well. RE5 didn't really bother with that. You have some really cool environments, but it seems the developers somehow didn't capitalize on them. For example, I liked the subterranean ruins, but they didn't bother to make them creepy when it could have been so easy. I blame a large part of that on the music. Other than the title screen, it was mostly forgettable. There could have also been more hide & seek going on, and more old school traps as opposed to laser beams. Same goes for Kijuju and how you were supposed to be swarmed and to have to flee the enemies. Like the lighting system it didn't make the cut. It's too bad because those were pretty ambitious. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that RE6's so-called "reboot" will most likely be a more horror-oriented game and not so much clunky gameplay, 6 slots inventories and useless, tiresome backtracking.

As for co-op, I love it myself. RE0's partner swapping system really annoyed me and I never want to see it again, but give me more of RE5's any day.

Griffith said:
Well, Aaz actually covered a lot of it on the RE5 side of things. I'm honestly surprised we do see so eye to eye on it because he was really looking forward to it while I wasn't even planning to play it, and yet we arrived at more or less the same conclusions.

Well the thing is, I was expecting it but I knew what it would and wouldn't be.

Griffith said:
Which brings us back to the strength of RE4 in hindsight, it's freedom from all that. It did it's own thing, did it well, and was fun for it.

At least now we're done with Wesker... The evil of CV has been undone.

Griffith said:
the merchant, another thing I missed (along with the attache case system, this one was too detached, and again, so serious).

Right on man, I missed the merchant too. And the inventory system in 5 was a set-back. No, an herb doesn't take as much space as an assault rifle, can we please go back to making sense? They should have found a way to work it into the coop system.

Griffith said:
The characters, I'll take action Leon's quips and the lively villains of 4, including the Ganados, any day over 5's straight and dull offerings, a lot of elements of which were tired at the end of Code Veronica, the reason WHY they went in a new direction (and if you're going to relive RE's past, why not toss some zombie's in there?).

Hmm well, I vastly prefer Sheva to Ashley, and honestly I kind of like Chris better than Leon too. Which is funny because I really really liked Leon in RE2, more than Chris in RE1 (Jill's always been my favorite). There's just something about the way he punches stuff around. :slan:

But yeah, you can tell that all this canon stuff about Umbrella and whatnot was hard for them to work in. That's what you get after years of not caring what happens from one game to the next. The worst part is that I'm sure they were so proud of themselves to have worked in a few references to previous viruses. Remember how someone said in an interview that people should replay previous games to make sure they'd have the story fresh in their minds? Like any fan would need to replay a game to remember that they've each featured some half-assed new virus because of a lack of creativity.

The truth is, like I've been telling Proj for about as long as we've known each other, we need a more ambitious direction. I love zombies myself, but I also dig the plagas. Now bear with me for a second... Who says we can't have both? Let them even fight each other in an apocalyptic "accident" scenario with the player thrown in the middle. Having all those viruses and parasites together in one place can only result in a terrible terrible thing, right? I want Lickers fighting Hunters, Bandersnatches VS Verdugos, giant spiders munching on Novistadors and so on.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Personally I don't think it's possible. A lot of what made the genre hinged on gameplay limitations. Once those are removed the games become way too easy. Now having said that, there's another component to be considered: horror. I think RE4 had some nice moments in that regard. The reanimators were the best, and then there's the village intro and a few other scenes as well.

Thinking about it now the only parts of RE4 I liked were those two parts. I was wanted more of the reanimators. Hell I could play a game with nothing, but those terrible things. I think what really would have helped is a much more limited amount of ammo, more enemies and inhuman enemies. That's what I missed about the zombies is they were unrecognizable as humans after a while.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
As for co-op, I love it myself. RE0's partner swapping system really annoyed me and I never want to see it again, but give me more of RE5's any day.

Now they just need to bring back RE0's item non-storage system. That was fun.

Aazealh said:
At least now we're done with Wesker... The evil of CV has been undone.

No, the T-Veronica virus has infected the whole series with over the top melodrama, there is no going back! Wesker cannot die, he will now simply have lava for blood.

Aazealh said:
Right on man, I missed the merchant too. And the inventory system in 5 was a set-back. No, an herb doesn't take as much space as an assault rifle, can we please go back to making sense? They should have found a way to work it into the coop system.

Yeah, it was surprising that they went with such a simple and artificial construct as changing your inventory between "missions"; because, ya know, you're playing a serious video game!

Aazealh said:
Hmm well, I vastly prefer Sheva to Ashley, and honestly I kind of like Chris better than Leon too. Which is funny because I really really liked Leon in RE2, more than Chris in RE1 (Jill's always been my favorite). There's just something about the way he punches stuff around. :slan:

I really got nothing from the characters, they had less personality than the monsters, the exception being Wesker, who could have used a lot less. He was a complete joke, an old, unfunny joke you have to keep hearing, quite literally. As for Chris, I preferred him in CV where he at least had a little personality, I think you summed him up in RE5 perfectly:

Aazealh said:
"Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth fighting for... Yeah, it is."

Yeah, that's about it, or a repeated variant based on the situation. He wasn't even a good foil for Wesker, who had to basically pull double duty and play up both sides of their conflict. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
The truth is, like I've been telling Proj for about as long as we've known each other, we need a more ambitious direction. I love zombies myself, but I also dig the plagas. Now bear with me for a second... Who says we can't have both? Let them even fight each other in an apocalyptic "accident" scenario with the player thrown in the middle. Having all those viruses and parasites together in one place can only result in a terrible terrible thing, right? I want Lickers fighting Hunters, Bandersnatches VS Verdugos, giant spiders munching on Novistadors and so on.

Don't dream, it'll only lead to disappointment. Those monsters can't appear in the same game, it's against the rules. Yeah, "Hunters" in Africa? Nah! Speaking of, I was honestly disappointed that Wesker didn't bust out a couple of Tyrants at the end for old time's sake, that would have been a treat. Also, what happened to the G-Virus, I mean, that would be so cool to see today instead of stupid black worms crawling on people, it's like the series is going backwards from great ideas to lame... oh, great, now look what you've done, I'm thinking about it, and I'm upset. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I think what really would have helped is a much more limited amount of ammo, more enemies and inhuman enemies. That's what I missed about the zombies is they were unrecognizable as humans after a while.

More enemies and less ammo = how do you kill the enemies? RE4 wasn't over-generous with ammunition compared to previous games, and it already had a lot of enemies.

Griffith said:
Now they just need to bring back RE0's item non-storage system. That was fun.

Ugh.

Griffith said:
No, the T-Veronica virus has infected the whole series with over the top melodrama, there is no going back! Wesker cannot die, he will now simply have lava for blood.

UGH.

Griffith said:
I really got nothing from the characters, they had less personality than the monsters, the exception being Wesker, who could have used a lot less. He was a complete joke, an old, unfunny joke you have to keep hearing, quite literally. As for Chris, I preferred him in CV where he at least had a little personality

I don't know about that man. Leon in RE4 is pretty much a joke with his stereotypical American hero personality and his ridiculous one liners. And so is Chris in CV to some extent. Frankly, no matter how much I think about it, none of the games strike me as having any good character development. If I had to choose the best one of the lot in that regard it'd be RE2, but it's still not stellar by any means.

Griffith said:
Don't dream, it'll only lead to disappointment. Those monsters can't appear in the same game, it's against the rules. Yeah, "Hunters" in Africa? Nah! Speaking of, I was honestly disappointed that Wesker didn't bust out a couple of Tyrants at the end for old time's sake, that would have been a treat. Also, what happened to the G-Virus, I mean, that would be so cool to see today instead of stupid black worms crawling on people, it's like the series is going backwards from great ideas to lame... oh, great, now look what you've done, I'm thinking about it, and I'm upset. =)

Hahaha don't worry, I'm not actually expecting my crazy ideas to happen. Though as far as "Hunters in Africa" goes, if Lickers made it then there's no reason Hunters couldn't. Not that it made much sense for Lickers to be there in the first place though (if anything Hunters would make more sense). Concerning the black worms, yeah I'd had enough of that with RE0's leeches already. I wouldn't have minded one boss plus Excella's super monster transformation, but a second one and the final Wesker form made it a little too much. It's just not a very interesting design. And I'd have loved a tyrant as well, but by now I'm not sure anyone at Capcom even remembers what those are.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I don't know about that man. Leon in RE4 is pretty much a joke with his stereotypical American hero personality and his ridiculous one liners. And so is Chris in CV to some extent.

Yeah, but this Chris is no better, only minus the joke. =)

Aazealh said:
Frankly, no matter how much I think about it, none of the games strike me as having any good character development. If I had to choose the best one of the lot in that regard it'd be RE2, but it's still not stellar by any means.

Yeah, 2 is the best. I still would have preferred they brought back THAT Leon with Sherry instead of reinventing him as an action-hero.

Aazealh said:
Hahaha don't worry, I'm not actually expecting my crazy ideas to happen. Though as far as "Hunters in Africa" goes, if Lickers made it then there's no reason Hunters couldn't. Not that it made much sense for Lickers to be there in the first place though (if anything Hunters would make more sense).

Yeah, I don't get it, Wesker had hunters at his command in CV, but they're not going to use the excuse to bring them back in freakin' Africa? Yet, there's Lickers, but no zombies, and no reasons. Urgh.

Aazealh said:
Concerning the black worms, yeah I'd had enough of that with RE0's leeches already. I wouldn't have minded one boss plus Excella's super monster transformation, but a second one and the final Wesker form made it a little too much. It's just not a very interesting design. And I'd have loved a tyrant as well, but by now I'm not sure anyone at Capcom even remembers what those are.

Yeah, what exactly are they saving them for? And I'm with you on the worm/leech designs, there just isn't enough variation to it. Even Resident Evil 4 managed to be a real monster mash while having the continuity of Las Plagas.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, but this Chris is no better, only minus the joke. =)

Clearly not. I think I might not have conveyed my point very well though: I like Chris' punches more than Leon's wrestling moves. Am I a bad person? :judo:
They're just so over the top I grin everytime I perform one. HAYMAKER. BAM! :void:

Griffith said:
Yeah, 2 is the best. I still would have preferred they brought back THAT Leon with Sherry instead of reinventing him as an action-hero.

I don't think anyone exists that wouldn't have preferred that. And it would have been so easy too. So fucking logical. Only it turned out nobody over at Capcom even remembers that character or something.

Griffith said:
Yeah, I don't get it, Wesker had hunters at his command in CV, but they're not going to use the excuse to bring them back in freakin' Africa? Yet, there's Lickers, but no zombies, and no reasons. Urgh.

Yeah... Don't get me wrong though, I like the Lickers in RE5, but it just seems like a random choice. Much like everything else in the series. It's the kind of stuff that seems cool at the very first glance, but when you start scratching at the paint it all falls apart. Hell, now I'm feeling like compiling an exhaustive list of all the plot holes in the series, but that's way too much work...

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Clearly not. I think I might not have conveyed my point very well: I like Chris' punches more than Leon's wrestling moves. Am I a bad person? :judo:
They're just so over the top I grin everytime I perform one. HAYMAKER. BAM! :void:

Haha, yeah, the most enjoyable aspect of him for me and my friends was the constant stream of steroid jokes in the room. =)

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I'd just like say this before I go back and read the rest of this page (there goes the rest of monday afternoon, lol), to Proj's comment about lack of story/lack of traditional RE elements:

First of all I agree, however I believe that the increasingly fast tread away from traditional survivor horror to the more action oriented RE's we see now (although I still argue RE4 was damn good and I still find it hard to believe that Nightcrawler and others don't appreciate that) are all linked together. I think that RE5 is even more action oriented simply for the fact that it's the first RE of this current gen of consoles, now at first this may seem irrelevant but hear me out. See I believe Capcom felt motivated to go even further down this route than in RE4 simply because pure survival horror such as your Fatal Frames, silent hill, sirens, etc are more niche than an RE5 that seems to try to blur the line between action and survival horror to the point that we're at now, fact is that there are many people who like action and many people who like survival horror, so if you combine them both then theoretically you should be able to gain a wider spectrum of people.

I also think the plot was dumbed down substantially because again, they tried to sculpt RE5 for the masses, so this means that they probably wanted RE5 to be a game that has a story that people new to the series could come right in and understand, now of course this means a lot less (or atleast a lot less complex) references for more seasoned RE fans enjoy but they probably tried to maintain enough of it to still give back a little to the fans whose support made RE the king of survival horror. Were they successful? I'd say so, well atleast for the not elitely hardcore RE fan, because there are many I know of who note that it's a lot more action oriented than it's predeccessors but still love it, and the reviewers note the differences too but still enjoy the game, now of course a change such as the RE series has been through won't be appreciated by the ultra hardcore RE fans, but change usually is received this way for the ultra hardcore of all things. Think of it as a bit of casualization, and I have a feeling RE6 will come with a better story and be a bit more faithful to the older games, but that's just a feeling.

That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

I just played through RE 5 again in about 8 hours, I used the infinite ammo option this time around. This would be my 5th time through the game. I got to say, I still like it. Overall, its just more of the same. But I have to admit, the
"tribe stages"
stand out to me big time. I don't know why, I found them really cool. The "puzzle" stage was kinda weird but I thought this part of the game had a really good feel to it. I liked the first village stages a lot too. Over all, this game is fun to play and to me, it has worth to it. I mean the bosses are easy, and the finale could of been a lot better, but I don't regret much about RE 5.

But be it blasphemy if I said I never cared for Jill in the first place? I found Sheva pretty cool. RE 3 made Jill get on my nerves for some reason.

Over all, the easy bosses and what not don't bother me too much. I just kinda want there to be a bit more to the game Lol, the game is a bit short. I would rather there be 12 easy bosses rather than the
6 bosses and 6 chapters
we were given.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
First of all I agree, however I believe that the increasingly fast tread away from traditional survivor horror to the more action oriented RE's we see now (although I still argue RE4 was damn good and I still find it hard to believe that Nightcrawler and others don't appreciate that) are all linked together.

What's linked with what? Yes, the RE series has moved on from the practically undefined "survival" genre to a more action-oriented gameplay. But what's it linked to?

Guts' intestines said:
I think that RE5 is even more action oriented simply for the fact that it's the first RE of this current gen of consoles, now at first this may seem irrelevant but hear me out. See I believe Capcom felt motivated to go even further down this route than in RE4

Does it really go further down the road though? Didn't feel like it to me. Felt like they tried to recreate RE4's experience as much as they could. Almost everything is taken from there. The pacing, the characters, the way things happen... Want an example? Think about Irving. What is he but another Ramon Salazar? Same wacky personality, same giant monster transformation.

Guts' intestines said:
I also think the plot was dumbed down substantially because again, they tried to sculpt RE5 for the masses, so this means that they probably wanted RE5 to be a game that has a story that people new to the series could come right in and understand, now of course this means a lot less (or atleast a lot less complex) references for more seasoned RE fans enjoy

Are we talking about the same game? Feels to me like you're talking about RE4, not 5. RE5 actually has more in-game references to the RE universe and mythology that any other game in the series I can think of except Umbrella Chronicles. By comparison, RE2 had zombie Brad and the STARS office room.

Guts' intestines said:
now of course a change such as the RE series has been through won't be appreciated by the ultra hardcore RE fans

Actually I don't think the truly hardcore fans mind it.

Death May Die said:
But I have to admit, the
"tribe stages"
stand out to me big time. I don't know why, I found them really cool.

They're the best part of the game to me.

Death May Die said:
But be it blasphemy if I said I never cared for Jill in the first place?

Yes it is. :mozgus: And how can you not like her in RE3? She's got a lever-action shotgun man, come on! Jill's badass. :badbone:

Death May Die said:
Over all, the easy bosses and what not don't bother me too much. I just kinda want there to be a bit more to the game Lol, the game is a bit short. I would rather there be 12 easy bosses rather than the
6 bosses and 6 chapters
we were given.

Short compared to RE4, but about as long as Dead Space or most games of that caliber.

I thought Claire was way more badass. Its ironic, I'm not sure I can say which one I can say safely had more "balls" than the other. But thats a whole othe topic Heheheheh Jill isn't that bad. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I thought Claire was way more badass. Its ironic, I'm not sure I can say which one I can say safely had more "balls" than the other. But thats a whole othe topic Heheheheh Jill isn't that bad. :serpico:

Well, Claire does get a Colt SAA in RE2, so she's not that bad. :slan: But Jill remains my all time favorite.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
What's linked with what? Yes, the RE series has moved on from the practically undefined "survival" genre to a more action-oriented gameplay. But what's it linked to?

This is what happens when you type something, leave with it still onscreen, then comeback and hope to maintain coherency. Anyway, I meant to say that the further progression towards action and Proj's view of a nerfed story are linked to it being purposefully made more casual.

Aazealh said:
Does it really go further down the road though? Didn't feel like it to me. Felt like they tried to recreate RE4's experience as much as they could. Almost everything is taken from there. The pacing, the characters, the way things happen... Want an example? Think about Irving. What is he but another Ramon Salazar? Same wacky personality, same giant monster transformation.

Idk, that whole on rails part where we had to pop guys off of motorbikes who were in hot pursuit seemed so far away from more typical survival horror and more akin to an action game to me. The closest comparable part in Re4 was probably when you had to defend the truck while ashley drove, the way that section was in Re4 however, felt a lot more like a sequence in a survival horror game rather than the part in Re5 but that's just my opinion.

Aazealh said:
Are we talking about the same game? Feels to me like you're talking about RE4, not 5. RE5 actually has more in-game references to the RE universe and mythology that any other game in the series I can think of except Umbrella Chronicles. By comparison, RE2 had zombie Brad and the STARS office room.

I know that Re5 has far more references to the overall series than Re4, but my point was in regards to Proj's comment about the writers seemingly ignoring the past storylines of the older games. To further illustrate my point let's take a look at MGS4, that game is so full of references that to fully appreciate it you had to have played the older games, I mean that game was full of the kind of stuff that hardcore fans love and every question both small and large was answered in that game. Whereas Re5's references are there, but aren't so extensive that newcomers to the series would feel inclined to dig up a PSone just in order to understand the plot.

In fact, it seems that most of the references are done in a way to briefly summarize the past so that the player can say, "ok" then just continue with the game. And I think that they were hoping that the moderate amount of references would please or atleast sate the hardcore at the same time as giving newcomers a brief gloss of the past. Anyway, if I'm making any sense with this then what you were quoting should atleast sound a little better.

Aazealh said:
Actually I don't think the truly hardcore fans mind it.

Yeah I agree, this whole post was just my take on their mindset when they were making Re5 in regards to the more cynical hardcore RE fan such as Proj.

Guts' intestines said:
Yeah I agree, this whole post was just my take on their mindset when they were making Re5 in regards to the more cynical hardcore RE fan such as Proj.

Man. You guys must think I eat and breathe Resident Evil, dress up as an RPD cop and keep ALL my belongings in an oversized crate.

I just hoped for more in regards to story this time around and have been upon beating RE4. I'm just let down.

And so is this guy: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:

I don't think Proj's a more hardcore or cynical fan of RE than I am.

Proj2501 said:
I just hoped for more in regards to story this time around and have been upon beating RE4. I'm just let down.

And so is this guy: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5

Did he? Because he doesn't seem to think the series had a very good story in the first place in that review. In fact he liked RE4 because it got away from the old storyline and didn't like RE5 because it got back to it. So unfortunately I don't think this actually supports your point. It's more in agreement with what Griffith has been saying.

Top Bottom