Review/Informations - PS2 Berserk game

Okay, I've looked through this thread since I should be buying this game in about a month...
My friend insists on waiting until the PS3 so he can get his 300$ system and play it, but I won't be able to. I just have to say hell no to that option, I've been trying to scrounge this game up for a while now...But I have no means of playing it.

I am highly PS2 hardware illiterate, so the talk of modchips and swapdisks have confused me. So my question would be...does this doohicky work to play Berserk? http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.php
I remember seeing a discussion that swapdisk wouldn't work, or something like that. But considering that post is really really old, this could possibly be a newer version of the item discussed? Or maybe I am completely lost, and this isn't even swapdisk. Could anyone tell me if this product will work for Berserk? I'm saving my pennies and hoping that this midly cheap device will be what I'm looking for....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draco said:
I am highly PS2 hardware illiterate, so the talk of modchips and swapdisks have confused me. So my question would be...does this doohicky work to play Berserk? http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.php

Yes, it will (don't buy a slim PS2 though, if you do you'll need this instead).

I honestly wonder how many times this question will be asked. Not only in this thread but in the several others existing on the topic... I'm not really blaming you but it's getting old.

Berserker_Paradox

Fate demands we strive for what we'll never get.
Aazealh:

Not to flog a horse that if not at this point dead is in mortal danger of expiring, but do you think there is ever any plans to bring any berserk game stateside ever?

I hate to drag out a subject but it'd be cool to know

-michelle :schierke:

Berserk Guts Rage came out in America for the Dreamcast.

Berserker_Paradox said:
Aazealh:

Not to flog a horse that if not at this point dead is in mortal danger of expiring, but do you think there is ever any plans to bring any  berserk game stateside ever?

I hate to drag out a subject but it'd be cool to know

-michelle :schierke:

Yesterday I emailed playstation's worldwide contacts in their contacts section on their website.  I was very persuasive like. :carcus:

I said
This game needs to be released in the US:

http://berserk.sega.jp/

It will make you guys loads of cash, because it will become mighty popular.

Can you tell me if your working on importing it?  There are a lot of Berserk fans in the US.

Please reply!

I got a reply saying they would get back to me within two days. I'll tell you guys if they do.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Berserker_Paradox said:
Not to flog a horse that if not at this point dead is in mortal danger of expiring, but do you think there is ever any plans to bring any berserk game stateside ever?

Hi, like grendelrt said the first Berserk game that came out on Dreamcast was released by Eidos in the USA (on March 16, 2000). Concerning the more recent Berserk PS2 game, I've said it in the past and I'll say it once more: there is no known plan to ever release it in the USA. I'd advise you not to expect it to happen and to get yourself the Japanese version. As long as you know the manga's storyline a minimum you won't be bothered even if you don't speak Japanese.

pippin22 said:
I got a reply saying they would get back to me within two days. I'll tell you guys if they do.

They'll thank you for the feedback, tell you they appreciate your interest in their company and that they'll consider your valuable suggestion if they have to take a decision, then proceed to "we're happy to have you as a customer, don't forget to buy more of our products".

It's been out for one year and a half now, the chances of it being localized all of a sudden are very slim.

HEH, good ol' Aazealh correct again...

For anyone who is interested, I GIVE YOU THE REPLY:
Thank you for writing us.

As much as we would like to tell you why a certain game was not released in the
United States, we
are unable to give you a definitive answer.  Factors such as production and
licensing issues, costs,
and various other reasons may have all played an important role in the final
decision.  Ultimately,
these decisions are made by the publishers, producers, and the developers of the
game in question.
We regret to inform you that we do not have any contact information to these
individuals.

There you have it.  The decision is final!

I am not wasting my time and $$$$$ for the game and damn Japanese adapting Thing A Ma Gijjer.  All that trouble and it'd be a game I can't understand.

I thought the loads of cash statement would change there minds...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
[quote author=pippin22]
I am not wasting my time and $$$$$ for the game and damn Japanese adapting Thing A Ma Gijjer.  All that trouble and it'd be a game I can't understand.
[/quote]

Okay but you're SO cheating yourself. I imported the game and hooked myself up with a disc swapper just to play it, the only Japanese I could read at the time was 'yes' and 'no' and that was all I needed to enjoy the HELL out of the game. Though I have been thinking of cleaning up the website I made out of the strategy guide that I stole and babelfished into English, it does help.

You can get a secondhand copy of the game for a reasonable price off Ebay these days too. Good sellers don't charge too much for shipping from Japan for just one disc.

(I literally screamed for joy the first time I got the opening screen to come up. It was like magic. :guts:)

With the PS3 comming out sometime near the end of this year (I'm quite sure Sony will push it back...) then I'm definately going to risk my old, used, and fat PS2's disk tray on this game. Thanks for the confirmation, Aazealh.

Now if I can get it within a month, there's a theatre near me that allows you to rent their big screens to play video games after midnight. The very first thought I had when I found this out was that Berserk would look FREAKING AWSOME on a screen that's as big as my biggest wall in my house. Berserk in a theatre experience would be quite the nice birthday party...
Big sword+Big screen= :guts:

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Berserk for PS2 playable on U.S. PS3??

I was wondering if the import game can be played on a american PS3 because they already announced that the ps3 is going to be region free, but is it going to be backwards compatible region free??

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Berserk for PS2 playable on U.S. PS3??

berserker88 said:
I was wondering if the import game can be played on a american PS3 because they already announced that the ps3 is going to be region free, but is it going to be backwards compatible region free??

We'll know when Sony announces it.

Lithrael said:
Though I have been thinking of cleaning up the website I made out of the strategy guide that I stole and babelfished into English, it does help.

I´m sorry for asking for this after one month, but does this guide of yours still exists ? The game is of the most enjoyable as it is, but I always get confused when upgrading and most of the time I waste my EXP on what I don´t need or want... u_u

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yami no Tsubasa said:
I´m sorry for asking for this after one month, but does this guide of yours still exists ? The game is of the most enjoyable as it is, but I always get confused when upgrading and most of the time I waste my EXP on what I don´t need or want... u_u

Oh you bet, I have it still I believe.  Hang on...  Sec..  Bam!

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~ccannon/berserk/chart.html

Oh and this is the levelling chart itself:

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~ccannon/berserk/lv.html

enjoy! :guts:

im doubting whether the ps3 will be able to play imports. I heard it was region free, but then my coworker told me yesterday that sony released a statement saying that the only way to hookup the system to the tv was through some crazy new hd-like imput that works as a security device, not allowing any bootleg or import games or dvds to work. ontop of that if you dont have a relatively new sony tv, or affliated brand, you'd have to get a 50 dollar adapter (which of course loses all the detail that this new format would convey).

as for me, i just got a slim japanese ps2 off ebay since my modded ps2 broke.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I dont know if this has benn awnsered yet but for a big fan of berserk is the branded box with the guts figure worth the extra cash???

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
I dont know if this has benn awnsered yet but for a big fan of berserk is the branded box with the guts figure worth the extra cash???

I would say no. But since it can't be bought retail anymore that doesn't matter much. If you find it for cheap then don't hesitate, if it's over the original price and you aren't a collector then drop it.

I just would like to say that the action figure "offered" in this Branded Box is one of the best Guts Action Figure that exist (I assume : it IS the best).
And the box is... REALLY nice ;) The big bloody band is great

But like Aazealh said, it depends on the price you'll pay for it. For something like $70, I would say that it worths the price.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kenji-kun said:
I just would like to say that the action figure "offered" in this Branded Box is one of the best Guts Action Figure that exist (I assume : it IS the best).

It's just a limited edition of one of the most common AOW figure out there (Black Swordsman: Millennium Falcon), barely modified (a bit of blood and a red eye). The original "Exclusive" version of this figure was sold for ¥2,980 ($26) when it was released, and I got one as a bundle for $5 years ago.

Yeah Aazealh, I know.
But this model was not just "barely modified" for me.
The general quality of the materials, articulations and the sculpt is really really much better according to me (I have had the two models to for the comparison... but it is my point of view, you can desagree with me, of course).

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Ok I have 2 questions...

1. Does the game have special features like unlockable stuff?? If so is the trailer for the game (the one with SIGN playing in the background) viewable on the game??

2. Is it the JP or the Korean/Asian version that has American menu's??

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
1. Does the game have special features like unlockable stuff?? If so is the trailer for the game (the one with SIGN playing in the background) viewable on the game??

There are some unlockable features yes, like alternative weapons to the Dragon Slayer, direct access to Boss Battles, or the "100-animal murder" mode. Please read this thread for more information on the subject. The trailer is viewable when you start the game.

berserker88 said:
2. Is it the JP or the Korean/Asian version that has American menu's??

None has English menus. There are bits of English here and there (in both versions) but it's not fully in English.

anyone has the ps2 game?

I know this subject has probably been discussed before, but I been rather curious abotu this new berserk game and well honestly, i would like to know how it is and if it's worth it. :???:

I imagine this thread will be moved or deleted, but yeah... I have the game, and it plays a lot like the DYNASTY WARRIORS games, if you are familiar with them. Lots of shit to kill, and you can really dedicate a lot of time to it (I'd argue it even becomes rather monotonous at times) if you want to unlock everything... but it's a fun game with good controls that really help to capture the feeling of things like swinging the Dragon Slayer and using Guts' arm cannon.

Top Bottom