Review/Informations - PS2 Berserk game

Re: can anyone help me with these problems with Berserk for ps2

Why not just get a Japanese PS2...there's some on ebay all the time. It'll make everything hella easier.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Can anyone help me with these problems with Berserk for ps2

Hey Eddie, long time no see.

About your problem, I believe it should work with a newer version of Swap Magic. I don't remember what I had used myself at the time (CDLoader in combination with Swap Magic I think), but if you look in the dedicated thread you should find the answer.

Speaking of which, I'm going to merge this thread with the old one. :guts:

EDIT: Like ori suggested, you might be better off just getting a Japanese PS2 at this point. They're dirt cheap nowadays.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with getting a new swap magic, I just don't have the money for a japanese ps2. If anyone has a better idea feel free to tell me, otherwise I'll probably just get a new swap magic in a few weeks.

Re: Can anyone help me with these problems with Berserk for ps2

Eddie said:
I'm using a non-solder mod chip, swap magic 2.0 and a dvd loader. Any suggestions?

I use Swap Magic 3.6 so I'd recommend that version or higher. If its not the game then its either the swap disk or system. I bet its not the system, I mean my PS2 is an old version that has that read error problem but the game fully ran.

So... Who else played the ps2 Berserk game?

And was utterly disappointed and shocked at who poorly designed the game play was? being a huge fan of berserk and having enjoyed the dreamcast game, I expected some great stuff from that game, but MAN, is it poorly designed. the most annoying aspect is that they had everything right BUT the general game play. the animation, the music, the cut scenes, the voices, the graphics, Guts abilities, and the boss fights, all so good. then your not fighting a boss, your running down some big path, mashing the square button, or just running, because the enemies won't punish for ignoring them. wouldn't be too bad if the levels weren't massive, and these segments didn't take so long.

but enough of my ranting. though I have yet to finish the game, I still intend to do so, simply because I'm feel like it. what are your opinions on the game? did you like it? hate it? think its better or worse than the dreamcast one?

A

avidwriter

Re: So... Who else played the ps2 Berserk game?

Opinions vary but what did you really expect? What can they really do for a Berserk game besides maybe an RPG or just a fight by fight game that follows the manga and lets you play key battles and fights. Ex, 100 man battle, the purple rhino knights leader *can't think of his name etc* and just those types of battles rather then random enemies just littering a huge area like you said. Maybe we'll get lucky an get a current gen game. One can hope.

PS. Berserk fighter?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying

avidwriter said:
PS. Berserk fighter?
I always thought it would be awesome and reasonable to have Guts, Skull Knight, Zodd, Griffith, and maybe Casca as guest fighters in another fighting game like Guilty Gear or Soul Calibur. Of course, just Guts as a character would be more than anyone could hope for. A just Berserk characters fighting game would be amazing though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I merged your thread to an older one, blackgenma.

blackgenma said:
ans was utterly disappointed and shocked at who poorly designed the game play was? being a huge fan of berserk and having enjoyed the dreamcast game, I expected some great stuff from that game, but MAN, is it poorly designed. the most annoying aspect is that they had everything right BUT the general game play. the animation, the music, the cut scenes, the voices, the graphics, Guts abilities, and the boss fights, all so good. then your not fighting a boss, your running down some big path, mashing the square button, or just running, because the enemies won't punish for ignoring them. wouldn't be too bad if the levels weren't massive, and these segments didn't take so long.

I think you're talking about level design and not gameplay here. Honestly, the gameplay was the best part of the game to me compared to the Dreamcast game. No more sticking your sword in the walls and random human soldiers taking 20 hits from the Dragon Slayer to die. The music was alright, but nothing special aside from Sign. The graphics were decent but when the DC game came out it wasn't just decent but impressive. The cutscenes and story were simplified versions of the actual story and I didn't enjoy them much. However the boss fights were great for the most part. The level design was largely uninspired though, and consisted mostly of long corridors with swarms of enemies waiting for you.

blackgenma said:
what are your opinions on the game? did you like it? hate it? think its better or worse than the dreamcast one?

I thought it was Ok, but nothing incredible. I wouldn't recommend it to a non-fan. And just for its story, I prefer the DC game.

avidwriter said:
What can they really do for a Berserk game besides maybe an RPG

Honestly I don't think the RPG genre fits the story at all.

Dani

Smile!
Hmm, has anyone tried this game with PCSX2? I'm tempted by my computer struggles with 3D games using it. We could easily bump up the resolution, increase and stabilise the framrate and add in some AA.

you don't need a credit card
just get paypal and link it to your bank account, that's what I do.
and yes ps2 are dirt cheap, modded ps2 you can get under 50 bux

BiQ_

" ... "

Aazealh said:
avidwriter said:
What can they really do for a Berserk game besides maybe an RPG
Honestly I don't think the RPG genre fits the story at all.

Personally, I think the only way something like that could actually work was making a RPG (preferably something more open-ended than the railroad-story adventure games like most jrpgs) that only happened inside the Berserk universe, and had completely new characters, maybe someone familiar ones as short-showing npcs... Done right, I would really like to play such game but I'm not sure something like that would be really marketable/popular.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm hoping for some help. I just (finally) got a Japanese PS2 so I can play Berserk again. But I can't figure out how to get my saved game to load up. I see my lil Puck save icon in the actual memory card when I use the system browser but when I put in the disc and try to continue there are no saves there. I don't remember having this problem back when I played on a US PS2 with swap magic... I'm using an old US memory card with both US and JP games saved on it... Am I hitting the wrong yes/no buttons or is this a general JP/US PS2 problem I should be solving on an import gaming forum?

Lithrael said:
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm hoping for some help. I just (finally) got a Japanese PS2 so I can play Berserk again. But I can't figure out how to get my saved game to load up. I see my lil Puck save icon in the actual memory card when I use the system browser but when I put in the disc and try to continue there are no saves there. I don't remember having this problem back when I played on a US PS2 with swap magic... I'm using an old US memory card with both US and JP games saved on it... Am I hitting the wrong yes/no buttons or is this a general JP/US PS2 problem I should be solving on an import gaming forum?

It should work, I mean I am using a Chinese memory card on my PS2. :iva: Did you remember that O is the enter button and X is the back button? It's like that for most Japanese games.

Hmm, last post isn't so old, so...

This game not being released outside Asia is a crime. It's not amazing or incredible as a game, but as a fan related product and based on a manga, it's the best I've played yet. Anime games generaly suck. Hard. (Though some released Naruto game were good fighters).

When I played this I loved the atmosphere, Sign, and hearing the anime's voice actors. The Boss Fights were great, and I liked the graphics a lot. Some awesome cutscenes as well. Later, when I got to that part in the manga, I noticed it was indeed very striped of content, but then... You know, troll rape and stuff. It's understandable. Of course it could have shown more character development, but it's an action game, not a manga, so I didn't mind it.

I never got to play all the modes and get the weapons because I didn't understand a word and there weren't many guides I could have access to back then.

But then, my PS2 died. Now, years later, I just want to play this again. But a PS2 still costs around USD 150,00 + here (I'm not from the US). Sony's official price. And I picked a PS3 right before it happened and I'm in a tight spot nowadays and will be for a good time. :judo:

But I liked this game. I'd love to play it again if only to see everything I missed, trying to skip the boring parts, haha. I still have the DVD. It's a pity the PS2 emulator won't ever get good enough in order to run it. The developers say it's too hard/impossible to make it run like a PS2, so it's always a lot slower in more demanding games (and no GPU/CPU that can fix this, it's an emulator's issue). As of now, it's either unplayable slow, or no HUD. No game.

My only hope is that with the new movie(s), a new game gets released if it picks enough interest. And in the West also. I'm REALLY praying for that. :puck:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I never played this, and i love the Dreamcast game, it's not a great game, but i adore the atmosphere. I've seen a playthrough of this game though, and i was reaaaally pissed at the liberties taken with the story. I mean at least the Dreamcast game had a different, new story, so there isn't much to complain, but this was just aggravating to watch.
Besides, it features my absolute least favourite section of Berserk, so i guess it turns something that i really didn't enjoy much in the first place into something worse.

I can't quite understand why so many people hate that part. I thought the character/story development was so important...

I did like the DC game, it was my introduction to Berserk. Watching it again now, the cutscenes and "model acting" sometimes are cheesy ("darth vader noooooo" cheesy) but the atmosphere is still great. I couldn't bother playing again though. That damn wall hitting and the way the enemies take ages to kill while Guts is so fragile, that makes it running away from as many enemies as possible the best strategy. I do love the soundtrack. :ubik:

Guys, I just found out that there were two versions of this game, I just bought it and unfortunately my save files from previous walkthroughs didn't work, so I had to start over. Maybe someone knows the difference between them, I would love to hear it?
Sorry if it was discussed before, I didn't have time to read this thread, but I'll definitely do it at the weekend. :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Guys, I just found out that there were two versions of this game, I just bought it and unfortunately my save files from previous walkthroughs didn't work, so I had to start over. Maybe someone knows the difference between them, I would love to hear it?

There's the normal edition and the collector's edition. The collector's edition came with a special Guts action figure from AOW in a pretty box (it was called the "Branded Box"). Also, the normal edition's disc is pink while the collector's edition disc is golden. That's it, assuming you're only talking about the Japanese version of the game and not the Korean one, since it obviously differs as well.

Aazealh said:
There's the normal edition and the collector's edition. The collector's edition came with a special Guts action figure from AOW in a pretty box (it was called the "Branded Box"). Also, the normal edition's disc is pink while the collector's edition disc is golden. That's it, assuming you're only talking about the Japanese version of the game and not the Korean one.
Yeah, I know about the Branded Box. It's just I don't know if i can talk about it, but hell, I bought the game so it doesn't make any difference now. :guts: Anyway, here's the full story, a couple years ago I downloaded a game marked "Berserk PS2 Jap" beat it two times, some time passed and I decided to buy it for my collection. And as I told before the save files didn't work with this "pink disk version". I started searching and found out there were two Japanese versions SLPM-65686 and SLPM-65688, I thought there could be an updated version or some additional content.
Of course there's always a possibility that I downloaded Korean version, I think I'm gonna compare Characters tomorrow.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
I started searching and found out there were two Japanese versions SLPM-65686 and SLPM-65688, I thought there could be an updated version or some additional content.

The Branded Box is SLPM-65686; the normal edition is SLPM-65688.

Top Bottom