RIP EVH

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sad news for music fans, especially guitar players, but not surprising given Eddie's health the last decade or two (at least the cancer got him instead of booze or this covid shit). What's really sad is when he was sober he still had it:

Still had the talent, still has the obvious love for playing, but other than 2012's surprisingly good A Different Kind of Truth, not much output to show for it even though he was reputedly still playing and recording day to day. Maybe the silver lining for his music is that it doesn't have to end here and whatever gems he wasn't able to organize into releases for various reasons can now see the light of day in a hopefully not too grossly exploitative manner.

RIP EVH

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
A friend commented on the range of tributes from those inspired by Van Halen but also the older generation of musicians, which struck me too. When you see Gene Simmons, who was involved with his early career, Tommy Iommi, Ozzy, and even Brian Wilson talking about him with such reverence it really hits home how universally appreciated his talent was that it transcended generations or typical jealousies.

I was on a big Van Halen kick a while back and can't recommend the Roth-era albums enough, even the lazy ones are pretty damn good, but Van Halen I, Van Halen II, Fair Warning, 1984, and even A Different Kind of Truth (or the Van Halen "Zero" demos) are great. Try 5150 if you want to hear what the Van Hagar era was about, not my cup of tea though (I think I actually prefer Balance from Hagar's time). Anyway, if you don't know and want to hear what EVH was about, you can't go wrong with Van Halen I.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RIP. It's always sad to see the greats leave early...

Maybe the silver lining for his music is that it doesn't have to end here and whatever gems he wasn't able to organize into releases for various reasons can now see the light of day in a hopefully not too grossly exploitative manner.

One can hope.

You always hear so many great rock guitarists talk about hearing his playing for the first time and how it blew their minds and inspired them.

Yeah, I remember asking my Music teacher which guitar solo or song was the hardest to play and he told me that Van Halen songs were the hardest and how he loved their music a lot.

Top Bottom