Sammoniac's Volume 1 Recoloring

Grail is right, BUT just keep going man. I like how this page turned out. Was interested in how you'd handle Puck. Not too shabby. Go man, go!

I get what people are saying about the lighting. I thinking maybe the lightning has a lot to do with style. In the manga/anime universe isn't lightning and such very simplified, and in most cases takes a back seat? Say if these were fine art paintings then I think the lightning would be more vital. A lot of the vintage comics got away with subtle lightning.

If I had to give advice it would be that I only notice detail lightning when it in the anime/manga backgrounds, not so much on the character cells. Not so much refer to Berserk, but in typical anime like DBZ, RK and Cowboy bebop and such. The character cells may have only around 3 different shadow shades. The backgrounds which are likely done by other artist in anime are usually way more "fine art" like and do focus on realistic lightning and such elements. So, if you wanted to correct the lightning issue, focus on backgrounds and such to bring it more to life. But with the style your using I'm not sure if its needed. You got a comic book thing going, not a fine art thing.

Any ways, don't let it bug you too much. Your doing great if you ask me.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Death May Die said:
So, if you wanted to correct the lightning issue, focus on backgrounds and such to bring it more to life. But with the style your using I'm not sure if its needed. You got a comic book thing going, not a fine art thing.

Yeah I think you're right. I could try focusing on the backgrounds for certain lightning effects. Anyways, I tried to fix my previous page with some general shading adjustments and I think the overall mood is better. Here's what it looks like :

BERSERKV1P14-1.jpg

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I do like the shading you have. It's improved the mood of the tavern quite substantially, IMO. especially the bottom 3 panels.

Death May Die said:
So, if you wanted to correct the lightning issue, focus on backgrounds and such to bring it more to life. But with the style your using I'm not sure if its needed. You got a comic book thing going, not a fine art thing.

I've noticed this in early Ameican comics (I collect Captain America). There tends to be a lot less shading in the earlier issues (40's) than compared to now-a-days. Things are a lot brighter in the early issues. There are exceptions, of course. But really it depends on the artist and the style they choose to employ. As a whole, however, I think modern comics are more aware of light sources.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Here's another! A kind member of the forum decided to provide me with better scans, so the next pages will be of a higher quality :carcus:

BERSERKV1P15-1.jpg

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Here's another page with a new high quality scan! It was a lot more fun than working with the old shitty ones, let me tell you..

BERSERKV1P16.jpg

Top Bottom