Scenes in Berserk that tug at your heartstrings

Ok then.
So, that famous moment when Casca briefly recovers her sanity and even talks to Guts. I legit get goosebumps whenever I remember about it.
It's just a shame that we will likely never get to see her talking with him again, at least not until much later in the story. :sad:
When did this happen?

When did this happen?
Like the others have pointed out, it's from the DreamCast game.

I recommend checking out the whole cutscenes from the game if you can, because it's a very good story written by Miura himself.

But if you don't want to, just skip to 1:47:17 to see this particular moment :

Judo

Midlands finest
Well, aside from the many scenes that had great emotional impact in context of the story, there is one that stands out for me because of personal reasons.

Over 20 years ago my parents died in a car crash. In the aftermath I was struggling with severe depression, drug abuse and suicidal thoughts. I vividly remember when I first read the scene when Guts was attacked by wolves after he killed Gambino and fled the mercenary camp. There is this moment when he is about to give up and let himself be killed because he just lost everything that he was living for. But then he instinctively fights back because he somehow wants to keep on living.
I was crying so hard when I read this because it felt so relatable to me at that time... and for a while I kept drawing strength for my own struggle from thinking about Guts and his unwillingness to give up.
So Berserk kinda helped me to get through this dark phase of my life and I will always be thankful to Miura-sensei for that.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
In the process of re-reading the series for the first time in a long time and apologize as I've already forgotten a number of moments.... I'll start at the beginning of the Millennium Falcon arc on the Hill of Swords.
  • Guts seeing Griffith on the Hill of swords and forgetting his anger. He is still captivated by his friend's human presence. especially now that he looks like his normal self and not as Femto.
  • Guts stark realization on the Hill of Swords that he has surpassed Zodd as a swordsman. The emotion and detail is his eye opening wide is incredible. I love that he does not fear Zodd as he once did, and that even Zodd himself acknowledges the dedication it took for him to become so skilled with the dragonslayer.
  • The two page spread of the beast of darkness appearing to match Zodd's apostle form, but pulling back to reveal Caska, who replaces the anger and rage with concern and uncertainty over Caska moving towards Griffith.
  • Griffith saving and embracing Caska... his heart beating
  • Guts acknowledging Rickert cannot hate Griffith, but with a respectful and knowing smile. Rickert's shocked expression. Talk about emotional growth from Guts...
  • "Has my sword ever felt so heavy"
This was so great that I couldn't sleep. Instead, I woke up in the middle of the night and read another 30 pages.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Your memory does seem to be playing tricks on you I think. :sweatdrop:

Guts seeing Griffith on the Hill of swords and forgetting his anger. He is still captivated by his friend's human presence. especially now that he looks like his normal self and not as Femto.

You're confused with when Femto is incarnated, at the end of volume 21. When he sees him on the Hill of Swords he doesn't hesitate.

Guts stark realization on the Hill of Swords that he has surpassed Zodd as a swordsman.

I wouldn't say Guts realizes he's surpassed Zodd. If you read his dialogue and even look at how their duel goes, it's clear he only gets by. It would have been amazing to see their rematch down the line. :sad:

The two page spread of the beast of darkness appearing to match Zodd's apostle form, but pulling back to reveal Caska, who replaces the anger and rage with concern and uncertainty over Caska moving towards Griffith.

Not sure what two-page spread you mean. :???: Maybe you're thinking of volume 21 again, when he rushes towards Griffith, then hears Casca and stops?

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
Definitely the part where Guts was "sword-fighting" with the moonlight boy, it brought such a huge feeling out of me and it made me happy seeing Guts act as the father figure he was never able to become. I just wish the continuation was able to bring out the same kind of emotion out of me.

Top Bottom