Secret Project Episode II: Locations

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
That's looking really good Walter. This is just me being nitpicky, but I noticed that you spelled Windham, "Windam" in the title and then "Windham" the rest of the way through. Also there are a few places where some funny symbols are leftover in your text before your descriptions of the Misty Valley and Albion. I guess that has something to do with coding, but I don't know html. Other than that, I really love the pictures and your descriptions. It's very impressive! :)

nir085

Horse and Armor
I like it a lot, it's very detailed.

(there are a few small things though)
"The tree house and Flora perished in an Apostle raid meant to wipe out all witch and wizard-kind." (Flora's house)
-I don't recall anyone saying that this attack was meant to wipe out all witch and wizard-kind. Did you mean that it was part of an overall strategy to wipe out all witches and wizards?

The html tag "&nbsp" is there a few times, but that's no big deal.

There are small locations like Koka Castle [town] and the Count's town that you might want to include. They're not locations that have any significance to the plot, but they are still notable locations. Possibly even an encampment section where you could mention the Bonfire of Dreams, the Hangman's tree, and the various BOTH/Gambino encampments.
Are there going to be descriptions of the interstice, the astral world, the abyss, etc.? Or are those reserved for the Berserk Universe once we get much, much farther into the series?

You should consider doing Elfhelm and maybe the ocean as soon as more information comes out about that, but you've probably already considered that already. Maybe put a question mark in place of an Elfhelm pic like you did with Volume 28 in the manga translations.

The location of berserk world are very well done... But maybe we should also include place like the vortex and abyss in vol 3 & 13 respectively

Oh yeah... do you ever consider drawing out a world map of berserk? ::)

Smith said:
The location of berserk world are very well done... But maybe we should also include place like the vortex and abyss in vol 3 & 13 respectively

Or maybe that will belong to the 'Universe' Section, not 'Locations'... ::)

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
Way to go Walt,
You're really doing a great job.
You've definately locked yourself even more firmly into hosting the premire Berserk website. 8)

BTW If you need help on small projects don't hesitate to post requests, I'm sure some of us could find the time to do them...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the praise everyone. It's sad that it took me this long to get around to doing this section... Wasn't hard once I sat down and did it. Content and all only took one 24-hour period. The Character section took literal months, however.

The section that scares me is Merchandise though... and that looms in the near future. Onto the questions:

nir085 said:
-I don't recall anyone saying that this attack was meant to wipe out all witch and wizard-kind. Did you mean that it was part of an overall strategy to wipe out all witches and wizards?
With the new information from Skull Knight, I think it's safe to say Griffith has intentions to wipe out the rest of wizard-kind as well. This is more a question of speculation than the Locations section anyway. If other members think it's questionable information I will take it down.

There are small locations like Koka Castle [town] and the Count's town that you might want to include. They're not locations that have any significance to the plot, but they are still notable locations. Possibly even an encampment section where you could mention the Bonfire of Dreams, the Hangman's tree, and the various BOTH/Gambino encampments.
I only wanted to include locations which I had more than one sentence to say about them. This more often than not directly correlates to their plot significance. Initially, I had a Red Lake entry, a Vatican entry etc. But these were locations that had little significance, or not enough information (or pictures ;D) on them to warrant an entry.

Are there going to be descriptions of the interstice, the astral world, the abyss, etc.?
Universe section. That's next on the agenda. Working with Griffith on it, whether he knows it or not. 8)

You should consider doing Elfhelm and maybe the ocean as soon as more information comes out about that
Already have Elfhelm and Vritannis planned, but there's not enough information (or really... pictures) on those locations to give anything other than a speculative entry. And that defeats the purpose of the Encyclopedia.

If you need help on small projects don't hesitate to post requests, I'm sure some of us could find the time to do them...
Eventually, I'm going to need a lot of help from the community on what is potentially the biggest section: Merchandise. The goal is to list and at least attempt to get pictures of every piece of Berserk merchandise available. I've made several lists throughout the months but I doubt I've nailed them all.

Other than that, design critiques from somone with better knowledge of CSS/HTML or even PHP than myself (many many people) is always welcome.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Walter said:
With the new information from Skull Knight, I think it's safe to say Griffith has intentions to wipe out the rest of wizard-kind as well. This is more a question of speculation than the Locations section anyway. If other members think it's questionable information I will take it down.

Maybe the reason they brought it up is because it makes it sound as though the attack on Flora itself was meant to wipe out all wizards/witches when it's just the first big step toward that goal. I don't think it's questionable though.

Anyway, I don't have any nitpicks about it myself. I love the coloring job on the pictures, some of them look like photographs at first glance. :D

I never knew "the idea of evil" was based on Aristotles concepts, Interesting.
Anyway it is certainly well written, look forward to seeing the rest.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
...Vritannis...
:-X
Complete:

VRITANNIS
vritannis.jpg

The port city of Vritannis acts as the fulcrum of the Holy See's allied armies. After the Kushan invasion of Midland, several countries sent their armies to defend against the growing threat. Vritannis has become a garrison for these troops.

http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/locations/index.html

PS:
I'm still a little confused on the relation of the Holy See to the armies. My understanding is that the Holy See's Allies, consisting of several, mostly anglo-saxon nations, are protecting their interests by banding together against the Kushan threat, currently concentrated in Midland. Is this... accurate?

Cool coloring 8)
What about a pic of the docks in tandem with this one?
I would also suggest a tandem pic to Midland castle's one (eg., the fountain?), since those 2 are seemingly the most big/important sites so far
Just an idea

D

darkbane

Walter said:
I'm still a little confused on the relation of the Holy See to the armies. My understanding is that the Holy See's Allies, consisting of several, mostly anglo-saxon nations, are protecting their interests by banding together against the Kushan threat, currently concentrated in Midland.  Is this... accurate? 

Not that I'm an authority on history or Berserk or anything, but here's my 0.02$.

If I understand the terminology correctly, the "Holy See" would be the government (consisting of the Pope and his administration) of the Vatican. In that sense it would be not much different from, say, saying the "King of Midland". So I think it would be correct to say the Holy See's allies, or alternatively the Vatican's allies.

I'm thinking the current situation in Berserk is somewhat similar to the League of Cambrai. If that were the case, then it's an alliance of nations (nation is not a good word here, maybe city-state or country would be better) combining their powers to check the expansion of a strong foreign power.

But where did the anglo-saxon come from? I think we're in a fantasy world here, and even in the real world, an alliance formed with the Papal States didn't necessarily include anglo-saxons. (again cambrai, as example, included italians, frenchmen, etc, but no anglo-saxons)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
darkbane said:
If I understand the terminology correctly, the "Holy See" would be the government (consisting of the Pope and his administration) of the Vatican.

Well it's wrong actually. I'm not sure there would be a "Pope" in Berserk, maybe a "Holy Father" I guess (we're not sure one exists anyway). The word "Pope" seems to specifically refer to the Roman Catholic Church. The same way there's no "Vatican" in Berserk but a "Holy See" (the Vatican Hill is a physical place, hence the name).

There's a thread about that with the translators replying, started thanks to a few people's stubbornness: http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2523.0

D

darkbane

Aazealh said:
Well it's wrong actually. There wouldn't be a Pope in Berserk, but a "Holy Father" I guess (we're not sure one exists anyway). The word "Pope" refers to the Roman Catholic Church. The same way there's no "Vatican" in Berserk but a "Holy See".

There would then have to be a Vatican equivalent (or at the very least their institutionalized church) that would be governed by the Holy See. "Holy See", like "Pope" also refers to the Roman Catholic Church (as well as the Vatican as a nation-state). Unless Miura has completely altered the meaning of Holy See? (What is used for this in the Japanse text, anyway?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
darkbane said:
"Holy See", like "Pope" also refers to the Roman Catholic Church (as well as the Vatican as a nation-state).

Well, I guess Pope would work yeah, but the word Vatican isn't fitting, since it's the name of a place, and not a term to designate something. Anyway, just check the thread I linked you.

darkbane said:
(What is used for this in the Japanse text, anyway?)

"Hôôchô", that translates as Holy See.

Top Bottom