SkullKast 108 - Phantom Death (Ep 362)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I think the shot we see of the armor thats different is from the eyes of the Skullknight since he's a spirit. I could totally be wrong though but to me that shot seems like it was Skullknight himself remembering the sacene while seeing the berserk's armor how it was then.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the shot we see of the armor thats different is from the eyes of the Skullknight since he's a spirit. I could totally be wrong though but to me that shot seems like it was Skullknight himself remembering the sacene while seeing the berserk's armor how it was then.
Maybe! But I think it's Guts' fading consciousness becoming aware of Schierke pulling him out of the memory. Compare the before/after effect on that page to earlier when we see Guts in the armor looking down at his hand before it shifts to Gaiseric in the armor looking down at the woman.

362-transition2.jpg

362-transition1.jpg

Another fantastic podcast as always!

Thank you! It was a fun one, but difficult to keep on the rails given how much there is to talk about.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

It's a cool idea because of the shape of the murky darkness around the image, and it would give Skully an opening to say he knows Schierke saw (if she in fact did). There's a few things going against it though too, like it's counter to the simplest explanation of the action we're being presented, and there's no reason not to make it clear if we're changing perspectives between panels (Schierke could confirm she saw it herself, and would be much more likely to broach the subject than Skully). It's also not much for Skull Knight to see, whereas if it was his own blade going through his woman that'd be something (and I think it'd be a bigger, clearer moment of focus). It's also kind of weird he'd have visual access to this memory happening in the armor in the third person, like I could see it resonating with him too, but then wouldn't he remember it as he saw it from inside, rather than seeing himself? That's the biggest hurdle to me; the armor presumably shouldn't, though I could be wrong, actually look like that in the ethereal plane because it's still shaped by Guts, unless one's also seeing it from inside the memory, as Schierke presumably is from touching it/Guts, which is why I think that's the point. Anyway, it's not mutually exclusive, it could be showing what's happening and Skull Knight somehow seeing it because of who he is, but without further confirmation of that it's an extra unexplained complication rather than we're just seeing what the characters in the panel are experiencing like in most panels. Hopefully we'll know for sure, and a whole lot more, in the next episode.

Last edited:

Episode 108: Phantom Death (Ep 362 Review)
(1h 45m)

What happened with Gaiseric and Void 1,000 years ago? We just got a front-row seat. We all have a lot to say about this momentous episode. I also invited former admin Cronus as our special guest to discuss this site's 20th anniversary.

============================
Use a podcast app? Try this:

What. A. Treat. I'm new, so it's always feels amazing to hear about vets in these kinds of communities. Feels like a lineage dynamic within this place and really shows how family-like everything in here is. As for the podcast in getting into the meet and potatoes, it amazes me how you guys are always able to piece together what most would miss. Really gives me brain candy to get me to chew on! I look forward to these things and it makes the readinf experience even more enjoyable. I thank you.

Top Bottom