SkullKast 133: Gnawers (Ep. 368)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 133: Gnawers (Ep 368) (1h48m)

Chaos erupts across the island! And while the episode flowed well, inconsistencies are beginning to percolate, and our expectations are settling as the continuation marches on. Despite our concerns, some mysteries still have their hooks in us. Read on to hear our thoughts on the ooze dudes and what may happen next episode.

Like the show and want to support our translation efforts? We've got 18 mini-podcasts available right now—with new releases each month. Check out the details on our Patreon!

Thank you for the episode. Sometimes I wonder what Miura would have thought if he saw what his team made. Seeing them release this under the title of Berserk. Maybe he would be touched that they were attempting to finish it for him but also embarrassed for us long time readers and hurt that his masterpiece came to this point.

Hey guys great episode. You guys all mention Isidro being cowardly in this episode, and maybe it's just the translation going around but even rereading it I found no such scene?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Damnnn that suuuuuuuucks. Who knew these dudes doing the english translation doing an editor's job too, it really improved the whole thing for me to see isidro not flinch for a second...
He does flinch though (3x in that scene), and even in that bad translation, they have Isidro complaining about having to fight in order to save face. So his attitude isn't even consistent.

He does flinch though (3x in that scene), and even in that bad translation, they have Isidro complaining about having to fight in order to save face. So his attitude isn't even consistent.
My interpretation through the translation going in around all the usual places is that he is angry SkullKnight would even suggest that he would run, his expression indicating his resolve and Skullknight later even acknowledges it by saying that it was humanity's fate to struggle?

It goes Skullknight says run --> isidro says: you think I could just slither off the way things are?? and going like "bring it" --> and skullknight acknowledging his resolve. Without that crucial line I think Isidro wanting to sneak off wouldnt be the general interpretation of events

Obviously tho it might be just me who interpreted that way, considering what the actual intention was.

Last edited:
Regarding the groups being split up for the future. Wasn't there an excerpt from an interview with Miura speaking about how the next and presumably final arc would go back to focusing on guts traveling alone again and the story would be focused on him and the skullknight?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It goes Skullknight says run --> isidro says: you think I could just slither off the way things are?? and going like "bring it" --> and skullknight acknowledging his resolve. Without that crucial line I think Isidro wanting to sneak off wouldnt be the general interpretation of events
Not just one line. There's a small text of Isidro complaining (muttering: Shit!! as he's delivering his rally cry to battle). The joke was that he was forced into battle, hence the "shit". How would that complaint be rationalized if he was going to fight anyway?

isidro_complain.png

Regarding the groups being split up for the future. Wasn't there an excerpt from an interview with Miura speaking about how the next and presumably final arc would go back to focusing on guts traveling alone again and the story would be focused on him and the skullknight?
Yep, I referenced it on the show, I think. It's unverified because no one here has seen it, but there were two interpretations (here and here) of portions of Miura's video at the exhibition. Both implied that the journey ahead would be different in terms of the group around Guts.

Not just one line. There's a small text of Isidro complaining (muttering: Shit!! as he's delivering his rally cry to battle). The joke was that he was forced into battle, hence the "shit". How would that complaint be rationalized if he was going to fight anyway?

isidro_complain.png
Oh I'm not disputing that the intention is as you guys' said, what I'm saying is that basically I prefered the version that was percieved through a bad translation, which isn't a very good sign of things

I definitely agree that the continuation would benefit with "Story Consultant Aazealh" in the credits. Which I know you guys were talking about kind of jokingly but I am DEAD serious haha

Last edited:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I gotta admit, I didn’t see a Secret of the Ooze reference coming when I hit play this afternoon. :ganishka:

I really enjoyed this discussion. It makes me so proud to be a member of this site. It’s always nice listening to good criticism. I especially liked the speculation surrounding the Berserk’s armor being related to the gnawers (ooze dudes? :void:) and the possibility of switching to a flashback after the current arc wraps up.

I’m trying to remain neutral to the project, like some sort of scientist, but it’s hard because I love Berserk so much. I’m still sending good thoughts Mori and Studio Gaga’s way, and I hope their storytelling improves in the future, but I’m also trying to keep my expectations realistic, now that we’ve seen what they can do.

I think Walter didn't particularly like any panel so he just left the podcast image the default logo :ganishka: . But Amazing podcast one of my favourites. Amazing insights from Aazealh as always, he always conveys things I feel too in a better way I could ever do, I agreed literally with every word lol. I thought as I was listening to a specific part when Griffith said the Casca abduction could have been a entire arc. Really got me thinking let's say Mori knew that piece of information and he decided "oh I guess that happens now right?" But in reality Miura as he always does plans out the basic story beats but then builds upon it as he goes along I could totally see Casca and Guts fighting together with the group building more connection with the group and even rekindling some of her relationship with Guts. They could have escaped within elfhelm meanwhile the magic users actually harm Griffith and hold him in place and Zodd is hunting guts and Casca and we could get a shot of him soaring above the group casting a huge shadow maybe Irvine is their too with Sonia it could have been a whole thing then Griffith transforms into Femto and boom! ooze appears and we see some baddass shots of Femto and it's like enough games and he destroys the island. And it plays out the same after. I've never felt disappointed with any part of berserk and have never thought " damn this could have played out so much better" Miura always exceeded my expectations but here it's blinding obvious that this just isn't right. And I see so many more interesting possibilities for this specific scenario. Also if the armour activates next episode whilst he's fighting the ooze and not from Griffith I think I'm done. Also I just had an idea that Griffith could have damaged the armour or knocked it of Guts's torso and as we've seen without it his body is extremely weak, he could have tried to attack Griffith but his body literally stopped functioning and he dropped the dragon slayer just a random thought

Yep, I referenced it on the show, I think. It's unverified because no one here has seen it, but there were two interpretations (here and here) of portions of Miura's video at the exhibition. Both implied that the journey ahead would be different in terms of the group around Guts.
This is interesting because I figured at least the core group would go. I'm not shocked that characters like Rodrick, Azan, Magnifico, and Isma would be dropped. Unless that's what Miura meant. I mean I really can't imagine Schierke for instants not going especially since Guts still needs her for the Berserks Armour.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is interesting because I figured at least the core group would go. I'm not shocked that characters like Rodrick, Azan, Magnifico, and Isma would be dropped. Unless that's what Miura meant. I mean I really can't imagine Schierke for instants not going especially since Guts still needs her for the Berserks Armour.
It remains to be seen, of course. But I don’t foresee anyone getting dropped. I expect multiple perspectives as different groups arrive on the continent separately.

Top Bottom