Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 14

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 14: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast14.mp3

Special guests DirectDK and Rhombaad join the three admins in sharing their perspectives of Berserk movie 1. We also talk about the upcoming episode, confirmed to be a 3-part flashback of Guts' youth. All that plus some E3 talk and extended outtakes.

Expect our next podcast after the next Berserk episode lands, which is scheduled for June 8.

Podcast Notes:
00:00:19 - Introductions with DirectDK and Rhombaad
00:42:07 - Next episode discussion
01:03:10 - E3 2012 expectations
01:21:11 - Outtakes I
01:37:04 - Outatkes II

The SkullKast is also available on iTunes or any other Podcast program. You can either search for it on the iTunes music store, or add it manually by subscribing to: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

Here are some visual instructions on how to do it in iTunes manually: CLICK

I've also redone the XML file that lists the episodes. All the episodes now have titles, instead of simply numbers, which helps with navigating previous episodes. However it might create duplicate entries in your Podcast programs. It did for mine. But the simple fix is to just unsubscribe from the podcast, then resubscribe via the above method. Sorry for any headaches, but I promise that it's for the sake of an improvement!

Cool podcast guys, enjoyed it a lot more than the last one ha ha ha! Good to hear DirectDK and RhomBAAD too. I noticed Walter refer to him as RhomBAD through the podcast heh. I think DK has a good point at around the 13:30 mark and on the 'review' thread I read comparisons between Movie 1 and the 97 anime, and how Movie 1 is not good for newcomers - well, it's wrong to compare the entirety of the 97 anime to a third of the Golden Age arc via Movie 1, with the latter's short-comings or not, it's a bad/ unfair comparison. I believe (optimistically) that a sitting of all 3 movies together may gel better. I have a fair share of beef with movie 1 as mentioned in the review thread but I'm now treating the movie differently with different expectations - surely not looking this to be a TRUE adaptation of the manga, but A adaptation of the manga. I watched it back to back when I got the BR and another time after, didn't pluck my eyeballs out. In a few weeks, I'm going to watch it with a couple who introduced me to Berserk with the 97 anime years ago and see what they think of it. Definitely going to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone to watch it and make their own opinions of the movie good/ bad only because it's Berserk. If it was another story, I wouldn't bother (except other favorite manga). Man, wish I didn't have to work ... would've been sweet to join in this one with DK and Rhombaad. Here's wishing/ hoping the special guests of all the podcasts so far get to come back again at some point!

Here's hoping movie 2 ups it's game in terms of the music at least. The CG and angles in the preview so far looks like an improvement from the first. *crosses fingers*

By the way, 1:34:00 - 1:34:50 ... GOLD! Yeah Walter, I think the waiter might've had a beef with you heh.

For some reason the podcast didn't show up when I hit refresh. I clicked on the iTunes link to listen to it now and the mp3 link to listen to it at work initially.

During the flashbacks the people unfamiliar with Berserk knew Guts was being raped while those that were familiar knew that Berserk itself was being raped :C

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ugh, I hate the sound of my own voice. My girlfriend and I are listening to the podcast and I'm cringing every time I speak (or unintentionally cut someone off...so embarrassing).

If I'm ever on again, I'll be using Skype on my PC, not my iPhone. The audio quality on my phone sounds really bad and I keep cutting in and out (which adds to the cringes).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Ugh, I hate the sound of my own voice. My girlfriend and I are listening to the podcast and I'm cringing every time I speak (or unintentionally cut someone off...so embarrassing).

If I'm ever on again, I'll be using Skype on my PC, not my iPhone. The audio quality on my phone sounds really bad and I keep cutting in and out (which adds to the cringes).
I thought you sounded fine. There were a few parts where you cut in and out, but only in the beginning of your sentence. It made sense to me. At least you didn't sound like a Reaper.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
At least you didn't sound like a Reaper.

I forgot about that. :ganishka:

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Walter!

Edit: Gah! Just got to the end. I didn't get the memo! :sad:

...and Aaz revealed my last name...he must be silenced! All kidding aside, it's a pretty embarrassing user name. My friends started calling me that in high school when they learned I was into Japanese culture, and it sorta stuck. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Blame Walter for recording the parts that aren't supposed to be on the show. :SK:
Everything gets put on the show unless I'm told otherwise :void:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I think that me and DirectDK would be good friends! I played Smash Bros since the N64 era and I currently still brawl it out on the Wii. :serpico:

Overall this was an enjoyable podcast. :ubik:

Cant wait for E3 and the new Berserk episode!

EDIT: I have a question: Who bought Dragons Dogma? :???:

Griffith had me laughing so hard during the next episode discussion. The comments about the "lightness" of the flashback and Griffith smiling while thinking of the Hawks were great. :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Blame Walter for recording the parts that aren't supposed to be on the show. :SK:
Walter said:
Everything gets put on the show unless I'm told otherwise :void:

No worries! I'm more embarrassed about the origin of my username. I don't mind if folks know my last name. It's what everyone but my family calls me anyway.

Besides, I'm the dork that logged out early, so I've got nothing to complain about. :iva:

Walter said:
Did I miss something last-minute and controversial about the game?

I haven't really been following but I remember seeing some pretty poor reviews online for the game. Maybe there's another reason though, not sure.

Truder said:
I think that me and DirectDK would be good friends! I played Smash Bros since the N64 era and I currently still brawl it out on the Wii. :serpico:

Heyaaaa buddy! =) Do you ever play on wifi? Have you heard of allisbrawl.com? Who do you like to use?

Th3Branded0ne said:
Thanks for the input Rhombaad and DK. I know the movies don't do justice to the manga, but I"ll watch them.

Hey Branded! Glad to hear it. Really, that's the main reason I wanted to participate in this podcast. I've been reading a lot of people who have passionately written off watching the movie and all I want is people to still give it a chance. I think there are a lot of people out there that will enjoy it. So everyone reading/listening, don't give up on the movies just yet! Watch it for yourself and hopefully you will like it =).

Rhombaad said:

I'm used to hearing my voice in song, but when I hear myself speak, I hate it too! LOLOL. And not gonna lie, I was hella nervous in the beginning. Even though we're all friends, speaking my humble opinion about the Berserk movie against the BIG 3 was intimidating as fawk!

IncantatioN said:
Man, wish I didn't have to work ... would've been sweet to join in this one with DK and Rhombaad. Here's wishing/ hoping the special guests of all the podcasts so far get to come back again at some point!

It would have totally been awesome to have you too. I know you have a lot to say about the movie as well. Sorry for calling you out in the podcast, heh. =P

Walter said:
Special guests DirectDK and Rhombaad join the three admins in sharing their perspectives of Berserk movie 1.

Thanks again, Walter, Aaz, and Grif for inviting me on!!! You guys are a fun bunch, and it was a pleasure chatting with you all. Now, I'm gonna go catch up on the last few eps so I can get ready for Guts' flashback!!! :ubik:

DirectDK said:
It would have totally been awesome to have you too. I know you have a lot to say about the movie as well. Sorry for calling you out in the podcast, heh. =P
Nervous moment that left me smiling haha! Cannot thank you enough for the first screening.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
DirectDK said:
I'm used to hearing my voice in song, but when I hear myself speak, I hate it too! LOLOL. And not gonna lie, I was hella nervous in the beginning. Even though we're all friends, speaking my humble opinion about the Berserk movie against the BIG 3 was intimidating as fawk!

I was pretty damn nervous, too. All of that went away pretty soon, though. It's also nice knowing you're being recorded and not broadcasting live, but it really wasn't as nervewracking as I thought it'd be. I think it helps that I've known you, Walter, Aazealh, and Griffith long enough that it kinda felt like we weren't talking to each other for the first time.

DirectDK said:
Thanks again, Walter, Aaz, and Grif for inviting me on!!! You guys are a fun bunch, and it was a pleasure chatting with you all. Now, I'm gonna go catch up on the last few eps so I can get ready for Guts' flashback!!! :ubik:

Yes! Thank you guys for letting me participate! It was a ton of fun speaking with you about Berserk. I'd love to join you guys again, if you'll have me back (I promise to stick around after the end this time!) :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Did I miss something last-minute and controversial about the game?

I'd just forgotten I'd preordered it. It probably dated back to when the Berserk content was first announced. I stumbled on it in my Amazon account by accident a couple of days before the release date. Canceled it because of the absence of multiplayer and the mixed reviews it got.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Did Griffith say that the Farny and Serpy flashback episodes took place before the Millennium Falcon arc? Not trying to be a dick and I'm sure he knows. Maybe I heard it wrong but those 2 episodes are at the end of volume 22, which is well into the Millennium Falcon arc. I understand that they serve as a sort of bookend transition between volumes but not really the arcs. Guts and Griffith have already faced at the hill of swords and all that so I feel like it's a good way's into the arc.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, those episodes originally came out between the the two arcs but were later placed at the end of the volume release. I think we were discussing whether this little story would get the same treatment and episodes moving in general (like Homing, which is a different case and more significant IMO since it's definitely part of the main plot continuum and not a flashback/side story that sort exists outside it).

(Geez, what a dick! =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
OOh ok. That's what I was wondering but wasn't 100% on. Very interesting. Especially since that shift jumps over like 8 episodes. I wouldn't mind seeing a comprehensive list of all the time episodes have been moved around ...

but i won't ask :serpico:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Damn, I never noticed that Aaz. I've even copied that list down for myself to use and I think I "fixed" the order without realizing it. Gotta go back and fix that for myself. :schnoz:

I am in the process of listening through every podcast in a time period of a couple of days (keep coming out with more at these intervals, don't adopt a berserk-like release schedule!) and i got snagged on the bit at the end concerning alien life. I know that it was just a closing fuck-around part, but my favorite alien scenario is always where WE make first contact with sentient life and they perceive us as highly intelligent beings beyond comprehension. The human race deserves a good old intergallactic power trip. :ganishka:

Top Bottom