Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 17

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 17: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast17.mp3

Episode 330 is reviewed and we discuss where things might go now that the flashback is wrapped up. We also discuss what we've been playing, Walter's favorite video game of all time, the best Zelda and Mario game, and also answer a few member questions.

Podcast Notes:
0:00:19 Intro/Berserk Episode 330
0:44:50 Predictions about the next few episodes
1:04:00 Member questions
1:25:25 Outtakes (minus Griffith)

Another really cool podcast, thanks guys and much thanks for answering all 3 questions, WOW! I was excited to get back home from a 12 year old's birthday party when I saw the topic in the evening - made my Sunday.

Pretty interesting insight on the new episode, yet again. I've found myself re-reading the last 3 episodes over and over with puella's translations, it's rich in content on so many levels. Listening to what we can expect in the next episode got me thinking about Elfhelm ... with the world having changed now, do you see Guts n party approaching an Elfhelm that's either being attacked or is going through some sort of war which Guts n party then become a part of? Sounds very off and I couldn't help myself from thinking it. Maybe the next thing we're shown is a panel of Guts' vision blurry, it sharpens, he finds himself surrounded by friends and elves AND he's in Elfhelm.

Pretty cool to hear a mini-discussion on the new Hawks from the 1st question (big smile on my face), sorry those 3 questions were Hawk related and not kinda diverse. While listening to the Grunbeld discussion it came to me - warriors have that sort of respect between them and they take pride in finishing fights on the battlefield, I could kinda see Grunbeld approaching Guts if they were on the same battlefield, asking/ requesting to finish what they started. I think my neighbors heard me laugh super loud at Aaz's impression of the 3 panel battle sequence! Oh yeah, was checking a few things out at work one afternoon and that's when I noticed the whole '7' thing on here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Berserk_characters - I didn't even think of that statistic prior to that. Honestly didn't even know people early on were comparing Locus to Corkus and so forth. I laughed out loud again when I think Griffith mentioned Irvine could be like Judeau, in that context.

Here's that info on the Blade Runner sequel which I HOPE doesn't get made - http://collider.com/ridley-scott-blade-runner-2-sequel-interview/170633/
“There’ll be a vast farmland where there are no hedges or anything in sight, and it’s flat like the plains of—where’s the Great Plains in America? Kansas, where you can see for miles. And it’s dirt, but it’s being raked. On the horizon is a combine harvester which is futuristic with klieg lights, ‘cause it’s dawn. The harvester is as big as six houses. In the foreground is a small white clapboard hut with a porch as if it was from Grapes of Wrath. From the right comes a car, coming in about six feet off the ground being chased by a dog. And that’s the end of it, I’m not gonna tell you anything else.”
- Ridley Scott.

Gonna watch the new Breaking Bad episode now. By the way, any chance of having puella on a podcast - maybe talk about translations and what we read on Dark Horse volumes (I think kinda approached on another podcast for a bit, but she's THE master-translator on here! So perhaps a cool in-depth talk on her view/ opinion on it ... I don't know, just thinking out loud).

Thanks guys for answering my questions! Really appreciate it

IncantatioN said:
Here's that info on the Blade Runner sequel which I HOPE doesn't get made - http://collider.com/ridley-scott-blade-runner-2-sequel-interview/170633/
“There’ll be a vast farmland where there are no hedges or anything in sight, and it’s flat like the plains of—where’s the Great Plains in America? Kansas, where you can see for miles. And it’s dirt, but it’s being raked. On the horizon is a combine harvester which is futuristic with klieg lights, ‘cause it’s dawn. The harvester is as big as six houses. In the foreground is a small white clapboard hut with a porch as if it was from Grapes of Wrath. From the right comes a car, coming in about six feet off the ground being chased by a dog. And that’s the end of it, I’m not gonna tell you anything else.”
- Ridley Scott.
Ridley should just stop when he was ahead, he really botched Prometheus and trying to revive his greatest accomplishment will end the same way. Blade Runner is a masterpiece, no sequel is needed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Oh yeah, was checking a few things out at work one afternoon and that's when I noticed the whole '7' thing on here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Berserk_characters - I didn't even think of that statistic prior to that.

Like I said on the show it's a silly comparison. For example if you look at that list, Griffith is listed as a member of the original band but not of the later one. It's probably done like that because it's supposed to be a list of characters and they don't want to have them appear twice, and so it's not really proper as a means to compare the set up of each version of the Band of the Falcon.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Still listening right now, but I agree with Walter on FF6, even on the nostalgia part. GREAT TASTE. I listen to that ending song with each character's theme in it to this day still get goosebumps. Sometimes, as a way to help me sleep, I track the direction you move in the map over time in my head. I'm just a sucker for that game. :ganishka: . Oh, and nothing beats those old days before I had constant internet access and was naive enough to believe little rumors about extra Shadow flashbacks. :sad:

Adding in since I'm at the end:

Glad you got that book Aaz, I wish I actually had money at that time, I'll have to buy it when I can since it got printed. :farnese: I actually read a bit of a Tezuka manga recently, Alabaster, apparently one of his first attempts at a darker/mature work that he ended up feeling strange about. It was interesting both as a story and for that aspect. It has a really Film Noir feel to it.

OH YEAH, watch Breaking Bad Aaz, I'd at least like to hear your thoughts on the first season/seasons if possible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I thought it was one of our more fun episodes honestly. And I wish Griff could have stuck around for me and Aaz' extended talk on nothing in particular at the end of the show :ganishka:

Now that we've exhausted the supply of new Berserk episodes, what are some topics you guys would like to see us discuss?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Thanks guys. I thought it was one of our more fun episodes honestly. And I wish Griff could have stuck around for me and Aaz' extended talk on nothing in particular at the end of the show :ganishka:

Now that we've exhausted the supply of new Berserk episodes, what are some topics you guys would like to see us discuss?

I thought it was nice to have Aaz there at the end for a good amount of time instead of Griffith as usual. Nothing against Griffith. Personally, I think everything that I'd want has been discussed or gets little bits of discussion here or there over time. I'll have to think on it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my other post, I agree about that kickstarter console thing, even worse, they're asking for additional funding outside of the kickstarter, saying 4 million isn't enough. What a fucking scam. I don't understand why anybody is excited for it. Anything you can do on it you could easily do with a few year old laptop just as well or even better. It's not like it's hard to hook a laptop/desktop up to a HD tv or something. Not to mention the fact that you can hook a good deal of smart phones up to HDMI ports as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Not to mention the fact that you can hook a good deal of smart phones up to HDMI ports as well.

Yup, or have them broadcast wirelessly to the TV via DLNA, like I said in the podcast. The only advantage this console has over the standard phone experience is the controller, but even then it's not all that interesting unless the developers make the effort of adapting the game to that particular experience to begin with.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Dar Klink said:
I thought it was nice to have Aaz there at the end for a good amount of time instead of Griffith as usual. Nothing against Griffith
Yes, that was an unexpected twist! :troll:

I actually want to know which Mario Bros. game is Griffith's favorite though!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Great job as usual with the episode review, guys. I kind of agree that they may have been trying too hard to recapture the magic or Ocarina. Which was of course the best Zelda game ever. Hands down. Undisputed. No one disagrees with me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Ocarina. Which was of course the best Zelda game ever. Hands down. Undisputed. No one disagrees with me.
We already had this discussion :ganishka: .... :femto:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
Uhm... Has Skullkast 17 been uploaded to itunes? Since I can't find the new podcast.
I've heard a few people have encountered this problem for this particular episode, and I don't know why. Did nothing different. But you might want to remove your subscription to the SkullKast from within iTunes, then add it manually following those directions I outlined a few episodes ago:

podcast-howto1.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
Somehow it doesn't work, I will keep trying and otherwise I will just have to listen to the link.
It's showing up in the iTunes Music Store as well. Don't know what else to tell you. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/skullkast/id504139590

Well I have deleted everything from the podcast and press the subscribe button on the Skullkast page. And the first podcast it starts downloading is podcast 16.

I can listen to it on the itunes page, so it's okay. Thanks for helping me trying to get it to work.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just listened to the podcast. I'm leaning more on going back to Falconia, I don't know if it's the right direction to go but I am also curious about it.

I also like FF6 as my favorite, I have beaten it 4 times and I even bought the soundtrack for it.

Great podcast as usual. At the end of the episode all I wanted was some chicken cordon bleu. :beast:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Great skullcast. I had to stop listening after the Berserk discussion though. Since it was mentioned, I also felt that these recent episodes have had a sort of Vagabond vibe to them.

Btw I think you guys should start using images for the new podcast threads. This one made me laugh.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just finished listening to the bulk of the podcast (I'm listening to the outtakes at the moment).

I played FFVI years ago on my parents' PC, but never finished it. Any suggestions on where to pick it up, or how to play it these days? I can't play the re-release on PlayStation, since I don't actually own one.

Walter said:
I've heard a few people have encountered this problem for this particular episode, and I don't know why. Did nothing different.

I eventually searched for it in the iTunes store and downloaded it from there. Even though it wouldn't download when I hit "refresh" in my podcasts screen, it downloaded from the iTunes store straight to there. I'm not sure why it didn't refresh like it normally does, considering that you didn't do anything differently.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I played FFVI years ago on my parents' PC, but never finished it. Any suggestions on where to pick it up, or how to play it these days? I can't play the re-release on PlayStation, since I don't actually own one.
I would not recommend the PlayStation version. It's got load times for menu screens and is generally pretty gross.

If you own a Wii, it's $8 on Virtual Console, which is a perfect emulation of the game (It's listed under its original numbering, Final Fantasy III). There was a GBA port of it in 2007 that was pretty good, and even had a new translation and an extra dungeon. It's becoming obnoxiously hard to find though. That was the most recent time that I played the game. But honestly, I prefer the older translation by Ted Woolsey. It injects a little personality to things. Also, the small screen diminishes the game for me, and the sound and music are noticeably compressed on the GBA cart, so it doesn't sound exactly like it should.

Any day now I expect Square to announce a 3DS remake of the game, akin to what they did with FFIII and FFIV on the DS. But there's never been an official word on that, and it's been years since even the last rumor of such a project. There's also a chance that the 3DS virtual console will start selling SNES games, but that could be quite a ways away.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I would not recommend the PlayStation version. It's got load times for menu screens and is generally pretty gross.

If you own a Wii, it's $8 on Virtual Console, which is a perfect emulation of the game (It's listed under its original numbering, Final Fantasy III). There was a GBA port of it in 2007 that was pretty good, and even had a new translation and an extra dungeon. It's becoming obnoxiously hard to find though. That was the most recent time that I played the game. But honestly, I prefer the older translation by Ted Woolsey. It injects a little personality to things. Also, the small screen diminishes the game for me, and the sound and music are noticeably compressed on the GBA cart, so it doesn't sound exactly like it should.

Any day now I expect Square to announce a 3DS remake of the game, akin to what they did with FFIII and FFIV on the DS. But there's never been an official word on that, and it's been years since even the last rumor of such a project. There's also a chance that the 3DS virtual console will start selling SNES games, but that could be quite a ways away.

Hmmm... I'll have to think about this. It sounds like the Wii is the right way to go, but I don't own one, and that's a bit of cash to shell out for only one game (I'm not saying there aren't great games on the Wii; I just don't have an interest in any of them right now).
Think it'd be okay for me to illegally download it on my PC and mail Square-Enix a check? :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Hmmm... I'll have to think about this. It sounds like the Wii is the right way to go, but I don't own one, and that's a bit of cash to shell out for only one game (I'm not saying there aren't great games on the Wii; I just don't have an interest in any of them right now).
Think it'd be okay for me to illegally download it on my PC and mail Square-Enix a check? :troll:
That's always an option, just don't tell ME about it :void:

But seriously, emulation is never perfect. It's never exactly the same thing.

Top Bottom