Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 47

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 47 (05/04/2014): Moment of Glory

We dive in with thoughts on the coming episode, and what's in the big-ass orb in Falconia. And for our review of Volume 8, we finish up at Doldrey, swoon over Guts and Casca becoming closer, and examine the Falcons' final moments of happiness before the dark settles in. Also, Griff and I discuss our initial impressions of Dark Souls II on the back end.

===========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes,
or by plugging this address into your favorite podcast app:
http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

===========================================
 

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Listening to this now at work! It seems that Foss and Vargas both fall into the category of "weird little bald guys who somehow ended up with kids." Maybe they were related? :troll:

And the Casca and Guts discussion is ramping up! Volume 9 is gonna be the big one - I'm counting on you guys for the panel-by-panel breakdown. :daiba:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Volume 9 is gonna be the big one - I'm counting on you guys for the panel-by-panel breakdown. :daiba:
"And on this page, Guts says 'Here I go,' and sticks it in. :beast:
 
Walter said:
"And on this page, Guts says 'Here I go,' and sticks it in. :beast:
That's what I'm talking about. :carcus:


I am loving these re-reads! You guys help me notice so many details I had never picked up before. I feel like I am in an awesome book club.
 

Kaji-Ryohji

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
About Griffith yelling at Guts to pick up the sword, I always thought this showed how nervous Griffith was. He doesn't need to tell Guts but he was so anxious about it that he blurted it out.
 
Thanks for another fun podcast everyone, I don't really have much to add other then I love these re-reads and I always find something new in each volume I missed in the details. :)
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those that are enjoying these re-reads, I'm just curious: are you guys following along in the manga when you listen or just sort of mentally keeping track of what's on the page?
 
Walter said:
For those that are enjoying these re-reads, I'm just curious: are you guys following along in the manga when you listen or just sort of mentally keeping track of what's on the page?
I read the manga beforehand, once I know which volume will be discussed. I listen to the podcast keeping my volume handy or accessible in case I have to revisit my take on a scene or moment in comparison to what you guys discuss. It's pretty incredible to find things overlooked or missed out on in the fine details of certain dialog or the art.
 
A few times I've enjoyed following along page by page, other times I've had the volume nearby to quickly refer to when I can't remember specifics.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! That's helpful to know for the future. Personally, I think reading along would be a pretty boring affair. I try to make these discussions more than simply a catalog of page by page observations. But that risks turning it into a summary, and thus skipping over the finer details.
 
I've read the series so many times, I don't need to follow along. I may need to when you guys get to the more recent volumes, since I'm not as familiar with them.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
For those that are enjoying these re-reads, I'm just curious: are you guys following along in the manga when you listen or just sort of mentally keeping track of what's on the page?
So far I've ben going along mentally because like Rhombaad said I have it engrained in my mind so that that I know exactly what panel or picture you guys are reffering to. I was thinking about grabbing the book though and reading along just to try that experience out. I only listened to about 15 mins of this episode so maybe ill try that out later.
 
Walter said:
For those that are enjoying these re-reads, I'm just curious: are you guys following along in the manga when you listen or just sort of mentally keeping track of what's on the page?
Sometimes I follow along. I've re-read the series about eight times now, so I feel fairly familiar with the content even when I'm not book in hand. BTW, I love listening to these.
 

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
great podcast guys,

I think it may have been me who u summoned in Dark Souls 2 in the Gulch area Walter. I was summoned and the first thing I did was get eaten by those black face hugger looking things a couple days ago. :ganishka:
 
As soon as a new podcast with a reread comes out I excitedly run to my bookcase, grab the volume, and settle down to listen and follow along. It's a little special occasion for me. It's like watching my favorite movie with the commentary on (and the best possible commentary short of Miura himself). It couldn't be less boring and I find going along with the manga to be a much more rewarding and interesting experience.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
I think it may have been me who u summoned in Dark Souls 2 in the Gulch area Walter. I was summoned and the first thing I did was get eaten by those black face hugger looking things a couple days ago. :ganishka:
Could be! Though you'd have probably recognized my name: Gaiseric. I even wear an armor that's similar to his: Drangleic Armor. Though it's merely coincidence, so far...

Rupert Sinclair said:
As soon as a new podcast with a reread comes out I excitedly run to my bookcase, grab the volume, and settle down to listen and follow along. It's a little special occasion for me. It's like watching my favorite movie with the commentary on (and the best possible commentary short of Miura himself). It couldn't be less boring and I find going along with the manga to be a much more rewarding and interesting experience.
Geez, that's some high praise. Thanks, man!
 

Kompozinaut

Grail Serpico!
Another great podcast. I really enjoy them. I usually just listen while I'm doing something else, mentally remembering what y'all are talking about, but I might have to try reading along some time. I really need to read through the series again. It's been quite a while since I went from vol. 1 to present.
 
I like having the manga volume nearby and flipping through it while you guys discuss the scenes and artwork. I know when you started doing the re-reads you weren't sure if it was something that would continue the rest of the year but I've enjoyed it and it's something to check out between the new episode podcasts.
 
Top Bottom