Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 51

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 51 (09/14/2014): Sparks [Vol. 10 Re-read] (1h 40min)

The gang reconvenes to discuss Volume 10, which covers Guts' convictions, Griffith's descent to madness, the history of the Tower of Rebirth, leading to Walter's long-awaited Gaiseric gush fest, and finally Aazealh's introduction of the Judo Boyfriend Fallacy.

Technical note, if you subscribe to the RSS feed (see link below), you may notice some funkiness with the episode names. I refreshed the titles of the last few to denote which volume re-read we do in each episode. Easier to browse them all that way. It's an improvement, but iTunes always vomits whenever I retroactively change the feed data on older episodes. Sorry for any confusion this causes.

=========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or by pasting this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml
=========================================

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sweet.

I always thought that the Snake Baron seemed a lot bigger in his Volume 10 cameo than he did in the beginning.

Great podcast, guys! Your reactions to "O blessed king of longing" was very interesting.

I had never given much thought to it, but I always got the impression that desire in the world of Berserk was an evil thing. There's the fact that around the time we're introduced to the GH the episodes' title is "Desire's Guardian Angels". On top of that it seems like desire is a major tool of the Idea of Evil. Femto's creation, and the IoE's plans, rested on Griffith's desire for his own kingdom. Apostles are created due to a human's desire to escape their suffering. The IoE was created due to man's desire for a reason. Femto was incarnated due to the people's desire for a savior. Etc.

So when I read "o blessed king of longing" it seemed to be both specific to Griffith (his strong desire for his own kingdom) and in general (the GH being the "kings of desire").

Am I way off-base here?

Edited for clarification.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

I did considered the Guardian Angels of Desire connection, but I don't think "King of Longing" has much meaning by itself. The only way I can reconcile it in my head is stepping off the deep end: does Femto have dominion over Longing? Sounds hokey. Is he one of the FIVE lords that rule over longing? No, I don't think that's what's implied by Guardian Angels of Desire.

The original Japanese text is 渇望の福王よ, so if anyone with the skills could share a better translation, I'd be interested in hearing it.

puella

Berserk forever
渇望 (desire, longing) refers to Griffith's feelings.
福王 (king of good luck, blessed king) is just a king title. It doesn't have a specific meaning beyond that and shouldn't be taken word by word.

So the title refers to Griffith's own very strong, unequalled longing. Beyond that, I don't think there's a definite answer. This is a line that also puzzles Japanese readers, and it could be interpreted several different ways.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
I had never given much thought to it, but I always got the impression that desire in the world of Berserk was an evil thing. There's the fact that around the time we're introduced to the GH the episodes' title is "Desire's Guardian Angels". On top of that it seems like desire is a major tool of the Idea of Evil. Femto's creation, and the IoE's plans, rested on Griffith's desire for his own kingdom. Apostles are created due to a human's desire to escape their suffering.

All of the examples you mention are correct, and I think it's clear that desire is an important tool for the Idea of Evil and the God Hand, but I wouldn't say that "desire" is evil in and of itself. There are good, healthy desires too (e.g. Guts' desire to protect Casca).

Thank you for another insightful podcast!

I think it's a good idea to break up the volumes sometimes, especially when they are this dense and you guys have so much to talk about. Well probably catch up with the re-reads sooner rather then later at some point anyway so taking time to go through all of your points is great.

I love the group dynamics and everyone infiltrating the grounds to break Griffith out. Before reading the manga I watched the anime series and the tension and reveal of what Griffith looked like down there in the dark was very disturbing and well done. On the other hand in the anime, it was strange seeing Rickert up against the two apostles with no Skullknight, and then they never go back to him again so you assume he died. Some of my favorite pages are the two page spread of the Count in 'Festivals eve' and the last page of 'Thousand-year fiefdom' with Griffith in the dark. I could be wrong about this, but it doesn't seem like Miura uses one of the drawing techniques that I personally am fond of anymore in recent issues, I don't know what it's called exactly but I think you have mentioned it as being chalk-like. One example here is Guts' face at the end of the episode before the escape up the stairs after the jailer is killed. One of my favorites (jumping ahead a bit) is the 'Inhuman host' episode in volume 12, the two spread of the apostles before the hawk. Not a big deal, but I was curious about it.

Can't wait for episode 52! :)

Walter said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I did considered the Guardian Angels of Desire connection, but I don't think "King of Longing" has much meaning by itself. The only way I can reconcile it in my head is stepping off the deep end: does Femto have dominion over Longing? Sounds hokey. Is he one of the FIVE lords that rule over longing? No, I don't think that's what's implied by Guardian Angels of Desire.

The original Japanese text is 渇望の福王よ, so if anyone with the skills could share a better translation, I'd be interested in hearing it.

puella said:
渇望 (desire, longing) refers to Griffith's feelings.
福王 (king of good luck, blessed king) is just a king title. It doesn't have a specific meaning beyond that and shouldn't be taken word by word.

So the title refers to Griffith's own very strong, unequalled longing. Beyond that, I don't think there's a definite answer. This is a line that also puzzles Japanese readers, and it could be interpreted several different ways.

Aazealh said:
All of the examples you mention are correct, and I think it's clear that desire is an important tool for the Idea of Evil and the God Hand, but I wouldn't say that "desire" is evil in and of itself. There are good, healthy desires too (e.g. Guts' desire to protect Casca).

Thank you so much for your replies, my friends! I particularly enjoy that title so it was not only exciting to hear you all talk about it but to have different views on it as well. :)

And you're right, Aaz. I might have been a bit overzealous with my analysis. I said it was evil because even good "desires" seemed to help the IoE in the grand scheme of things. For example, Guts' wanting to find and protect Casca is good in and of itself. But it's that desire which led him to Albion where them both being there played a part in the incarnation of Femto. After thinking about it more I realized I was essentially playing "six degrees of separation" where literally anything in Berserk could be connected to evil.

Top Bottom