Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 53

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 53 (10/12/14): A Way Through [Donations; 337; Vol. 10] (1hr 20 min)

Fresh from launching a donations page to fund new Berserk translations, Aaz and Walter discuss the future of Skullknight.NET. Wally catches up on 337 and the group finishes off Volume 10's re-read. Rickert = Griffith, Wyald = Military Secret Weapon, Griffith = Most Effective Mime Ever? And oh so much more...

=========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or by pasting this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml
=========================================

Really cool episode. What was that barbaric sound Aaz made ? :ganishka:

And for the many goals, a redesign of the berserk encyclopedia is by far my most wanted thing. I'd love to search information in a modern way just, almost like a companion app (through responsive design like Aaz mentioned) for my berserk readings or everyday source of info.

The second would be a new letter to Miura and Hakusensha. We should have another round of relevant and meaningful questions to ask by now, even in 2015. The first letter was a really cool project.

What about a SK community package with goods from around the world (and previous discussion between members) adress to Miura ? The logistic to pull something like this is a goal itself.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Man, I so want to interject while I'm listening. I'm literally trying to interrupt you guys. :griffnotevil:

On the translation drive, I just want to reiterate my little testimonial if anyone missed it:

I think old-timers like me owe Puella the greatest debt of gratitude since we've been enjoying her work the longest, and if you've been following Berserk at any time in the last decade you've probably enjoyed it too. I love Puella's translations because they're so thoughtful and well annotated, so you're not just getting some shorthand for the sake of expediency or style, but a very clear and nuanced understanding of the sometimes complicated words, ideas and multiple meanings being conveyed. I also remember the days when Puella didn't only provide the translations (basically our most core purpose here, following and understanding Berserk), but almost single-handedly kept us up to date with the series itself on an ongoing basis! Basically, nobody can top that kind of long term contribution to the community. So, I'm grateful for this opportunity to finally pay her back for all the time, money and effort she's invested, not only in the series and its promotion, but in us and our enjoyment.

And I'd like to add that we've basically gotten over a decade of volunteer work from her, so the least we can do is support her future work, once again, for us. Plus, we'll be getting more! That's a hell of a deal. :ganishka:

Now to 337, I'm basically live-posting this as I listen...

On Griffith's fortress mentality: It could be that our perception of Griffith being largely on easy street is all wrong and too small minded. On the one hand, the dominoes are all in place for him to dominate the human world with ease, but he's literally up against the very makeup of the world and potentially messing with forces far beyond our reckoning at this point. So, when you think of it that way, that he's laying siege to the universe, it's understandable that he's not just taking everything for granted and still has his guard up. He might be waiting for a retaliation he knows is coming but we don't (after all, why send his best men to kill a dying witch).

On Cake: Griffith's white cake is his white cat that he strokes as his warheads are aimed at the U.N. :zodd:

On Rickert's "reaction": I think it's not unlike Guts' anger over Griffith standing there smiling and sweet talking as if nothing happened. This was a necessary correction that even Guts didn't get a chance to administer (though his correction likely wouldn't have left much room for contemplation after =).

Also, I think it means more coming from Rickert (I typed Griffith at first, Jesus you guys) because Griffith can't dismiss his reaction like he did Guts, "Oh, you're always angry, you always swing first and talk second." Like what you were saying about Rickert's place in the world earlier, not only is he not like that, but he's a docile person who has no counter agenda to Griffith otherwise, and who in fact was only ever devoted to him and his cause. So I think for Rickertof all people to unexpectedly rebuke Griffith so forcefully makes him deal with it in a way Guts obvious vendetta couldn't. Maybe later Guts can say, "You know what I said before, when we killed the Queen, about you not being a bad person!? I LIED!!!" Griffith: :judo: Speaking of which, considering that Griffith did have that sensitivity in him, I wouldn't be surprised if it carried over into Femto... I'd be a lot more worried about the consequences though (Rickert still doesn't know the whole truth that Griffith was merciless killer long before he sacrificed the Falcons). His was still quite an idealized vision that was tarnished by this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ryOtoha said:
And for the many goals, a redesign of the berserk encyclopedia is by far my most wanted thing. I'd love to search information in a modern way just, almost like a companion app (through responsive design like Aaz mentioned) for my berserk readings or everyday source of info.

An App is a great idea that I've briefly considered before, but never had the knowhow. I'll start looking into the feasibility of it, but that would of course more be something to look into after we've revised the content.

The second would be a new letter to Miura and Hakusensha. We should have another round of relevant and meaningful questions to ask by now, even in 2015. The first letter was a really cool project.

I tried to jumpstart ideas for a second interview in this thread, but it never picked up quite the momentum it needed. Definitely something to consider further down the line.

What about a SK community package with goods from around the world (and previous discussion between members) adress to Miura ? The logistic to pull something like this is a goal itself.

Hehe, sounds ambitious to say the least. I'm not sure what threads we have that I'd be 100% comfortable with Miura reading, though that's been one of my guiding principles for content for a while now. I liked how the bookmark turned out for our thank-you letter. So maybe some community gifts would be a good way to go for this. Stuff Miura would like.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
As always, great podcast, guys.

I've always liked the idea of an updated encyclopedia. I remember when I first transferred to the manga and episodic releases I utilized it to become familiar with new characters while trying to bridge between Dark Horse and JP releases.

Walter said:
An App is a great idea that I've briefly considered before, but never had the knowhow. I'll start looking into the feasibility of it, but that would of course more be something to look into after we've revised the content.

Yeah i suppose there are plenty of (free and paying) solutions/tools available.

Walter said:
I tried to jumpstart ideas for a second interview in this thread, but it never picked up quite the momentum it needed. Definitely something to consider further down the line.

Well, with exciting and imminent details/events we've been waiting for decades now, I suppose this second letter will soon gain a lot more interest.

Walter said:
Hehe, sounds ambitious to say the least. I'm not sure what threads we have that I'd be 100% comfortable with Miura reading, though that's been one of my guiding principles for content for a while now. I liked how the bookmark turned out for our thank-you letter. So maybe some community gifts would be a good way to go for this. Stuff Miura would like.

Agreed, whatever we put in it, it better be understand, easy to preserve and (slowly) enjoyed by Miura. We'll need to set restrictive rules in order to keep the idea clear and conceivable.

Top Bottom