Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 59

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 59: Lost Children [Vol. 14-2] (1hr 57 min)

Swoon as Guts reprises his role as the Black Swordsman in one of Berserk fans' favorite sections of the series. We're of course kicking off the Conviction Arc and Lost Children Chapter by reviewing what makes this section special, both for the series and for fans. Guest starring forum member and SKnet Patreon donor IncantatioN. Join us for outtakes where IncantatioN quizzes us on the volume, and we talk about what we've been playing lately.

Love the show? Want to help make SKnet even better? Consider chipping in a few bucks per month to our Patreon donation page, which we're using to fund new translations for the series. Check out all the information in our official thread.

=========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or by pasting this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml
=========================================

Thanks for having me on the podcast, it was a lot of fun. My plan of having more alcohol this time around didn't work cos I still sound like a nervous doofus and plain silly, frak. It's all Aaz's fault :slan:

Great insight as always, reinforcing the fact that it's freaking awesome (and we're goddamn lucky) to hear your thoughts about specific panels and the emotions behind things said (like that one where Jill's smiling) or actions made. I forgot to ask what you thought of the armor on the volume cover, shoulder spikes :SK:. Another thing about Farnese's armor, her helmet design makes it look like there's an elf on her head. And, interesting to see Guts on the last page of 2 episodes standing with the DS (different poses) first with Jill, later with that kid.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I forgot to ask what you thought of the armor on the volume cover, shoulder spikes

We actually addressed Vol 14's cover when we first touched on the volume in Episode 58.

Another thing about Farnese's armor, her helmet design makes it look like there's an elf on her head.

It actually reminds me more of the figure on SK's horse.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great episode guys! It's crazy to think that we've already reached the second longest break in history of the series. I can't speak for anyone else, but I honestly haven't been thinking about it that much. I guess the re-reads are definitely helping in that regard. :guts:

IncantatioN said:
Thanks for having me on the podcast, it was a lot of fun. My plan of having more alcohol this time around didn't work cos I still sound like a nervous doofus and plain silly, frak. It's all Aaz's fault :slan:
You were fine, man, you worry too much! :ganishka: It seems like folks are so hard on themselves when they're a guest on this podcast, but so far you and Rupert added in some nice points and questions, which definitely added to the usual fun of listening. I liked your question about the favorite panel/page especially! That might be something fun to incorporate into future re-reads.

I think my favorite part of this week's talk was looking at Farnese's and Serpico's first appearances and how they've changed over the course of the story. I also liked your dissection of why the Lost Children is such a popular section of the series (Guts chewing intestines aside). I'm looking forward to the episode where you guys cover the Berserk prototype! I have a soft spot in my heart for it. :casca:

Walter, it's funny that you brought up Monster Hunter 4! Gobs recently bought me Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, so I guess I'm a bit behind. So far it's pretty fun, though. I got the demo for MH4 as well, but I haven't played it yet because I'm afraid of liking it more than the game I already own. :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
I liked your question about the favorite panel/page especially! That might be something fun to incorporate into future re-reads.

I have given some thought to a more structured show, with sections like that, but the problem is, we always run over the allotted time just covering the main event.

Walter, it's funny that you brought up Monster Hunter 4! Gobs recently bought me Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, so I guess I'm a bit behind. So far it's pretty fun, though. I got the demo for MH4 as well, but I haven't played it yet because I'm afraid of liking it more than the game I already own. :sad:

Cool! Too bad we can't team up though... Me buying MH was a was a leap of faith, for the most part. I played the MH3U demo for 3DS a year ago and really didn't enjoy it. The demo isn't the best way to get into the game, since it teaches you virtually nothing. Just drops you in a predefined scenario and says GO. But there are certain similarities between Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. So when the demo for 4 came out, I gave it another shot and for whatever reason (perhaps bolstered by the podcasts I listen to), I liked it a little more. Then I explored some of the weapons, settling on the Switch Axe, watched a few YouTube videos on best tactics for using it, and really got into it.

So, I took the plunge. It's a perfect train game, too. I have about a 45 min commute on trains in the morning and evening, so I can usually get in a few quests each time. I even encountered someone else playing the game on the train once (they appear in the Gathering Hall), which was pretty crazy.

When you boil it down, it's "just" a really big MMO with an action game blended in. But the combat is so well done and the skill ceiling so high that it has longer legs than you might expect from games of the genre.

Thanks for another episode. I was a bit surprised when Incantation mentioned that he was last on the podcast back in 2012. Nice job on three years of content. :ubik: Time flies.

Along with the reasons you guys mentioned, a big part of why I really enjoy the Lost Children Chapter is because we now fully understand Guts' motivation. In the Black Swordsman Arc you get the idea something bad happened to Guts but you never knew how terrible. With the Black Swordsman's return you can't help but cheer for him and his quest, no matter how much of a jerk he might be. I think those feelings also have a lot to do with the popularity of that one panel of Guts grinning that you all pointed out. When I see it at this point in the manga I can't help but grin myself and think, "Yes! Kill them all!"

I also agree with what you said about Miura finally getting back to the Black Swordsman after he developed so much as an artist. I think this part of the manga is filled with so many stylized and creative panels and pages that I just get the feeling that Miura really enjoyed this part of the story.

And lastly, until Griffith pointed it out, I never realized that the the young boy was on fire and that's why Guts draped his cloak over him. It seems so obvious now but I guess I always saw the fire on him as a tuft of grass or something on the ground.

Top Bottom