Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 70

Aazealh said:
Well beyond the technicalities, like I said I think it mitigates your initial statement if you agree that they'll have to learn to know each other again regardless. That's the more important aspect to me.
I don't think agreeing that in either scenario Casca and Farnese will have to learn to know each other again in some form (which I agree is one of the most important aspects of their future relationship) really mitigates my original statement that Casca remembering her post-eclipse experiences still has its own narrative value unique to it, because as I've stated having that mental/emotional modifier that would inform their behavior/interactions, even if it's technically theoretically quantitatively more limiting in terms of narrative opportunities, creates a dynamic I think would be quite interesting/appealing qualitatively.

Aazealh said:
Nah, I don't think it's related to how long someone has been following the series. Don't you think it's normal and expected that Guts and Casca's past, including the complicated situations experienced since the Eclipse, will play a role in determining their future together? That's hardly a radical idea. In fact I can't say I remember hearing anyone argue otherwise in all my time here (which is indeed a very long time).
I should clarify what I mean, I don't mean it's not obvious upon a basic analysis/discussion of the narrative. But rather due to my impressions of the Berserk fandom, primarily all off this site mind you; as in the plethora of comments one can find that believe Casca is just going to get killed (along with Guts' new companions) down the line and/or Casca won't get cured because *Miura just loves doing grimdark things in Berserk* (this is sarcasm) and/or people who think Casca will want to go run back to Griffith when she is restored (this one really grinds my gills and I see it pop up so often around the 'net). So statements/observations that may seem obvious for the discussions on this site regarding Guts and Casca's complicated relationship, including their post-Eclipse interactions/incidents, isn't to me based on my past experiences with Berserk internet fandom.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
I don't think agreeing that in either scenario Casca and Farnese will have to learn to know each other again in some form (which I agree is one of the most important aspects of their future relationship) really mitigates my original statement that Casca remembering her post-eclipse experiences still has its own narrative value unique to it, because as I've stated having that mental/emotional modifier that would inform their behavior/interactions, even if it's technically theoretically quantitatively more limiting in terms of narrative opportunities, creates a dynamic I think would be quite interesting/appealing qualitatively.

Your original statement was that it would be a shame for Casca to not remember who Farnese is, which seemed to imply to me that you thought their current relationship should play a much bigger role in establishing the new one than it will if they have to discover each other again to the extent I think they will (which you said you agreed with).

Theozilla said:
I should clarify what I mean, I don't mean it's not obvious upon a basic analysis/discussion of the
narrative.

Ah. That's beyond clarification, you're changing what you said. But sure, whatever.

Theozilla said:
But rather due to my impressions of the Berserk fandom, primarily all off this site mind you; as in the plethora of comments one can find that believe Casca is just going to get killed (along with Guts' new companions) down the line and/or Casca won't get cured because *Miura just loves doing grimdark things in Berserk* (this is sarcasm) and/or people who think Casca will want to go run back to Griffith when she is restored (this one really grinds my gills and I see it pop up so often around the 'net). So statements/observations that may seem obvious for the discussions on this site regarding Guts and Casca's complicated relationship, including their post-Eclipse interactions/incidents, isn't to me based on my past experiences with Berserk internet fandom.

Well I'm sorry but I don't see how your frustration with stupid things you've read elsewhere on the Internet has any relevance to this conversation. There was once a man who thought Guts was a half-man, half-elf hybrid, but that's not something I need to tell you about here. I also still don't see the relation with how long one has been reading the series.

Aazealh said:
Your original statement was that it would be a shame for Casca to not remember who Farnese is, which seemed to imply to me that you thought their current relationship should play a much bigger role in establishing the new one than it will if they have to discover each other again to the extent I think they will (which you said you agreed with).
Well, I still think it would be a shame if Casca does not remember who Farnese is, but I don't mean to imply that their current relationship should be the main influencing/deciding factor in their establishment of a new relationship, but more an important secondary factor that gives their relationship overall am additional unique quality.

Aazealh said:
Ah. That's beyond clarification, you're changing what you said. But sure, whatever.
Well I realized that my previous comment didn't accurately describe my mentality, so I am trying to rectify that. Sorry if I had an improper word choice.

Aazealh said:
Well I'm sorry but I don't see how your frustration with stupid things you've read elsewhere on the Internet has any relevance to this conversation. There was once a man who thought Guts was a half-man, half-elf hybrid, but that's not something I need to tell you about here. I also still don't see the relation with how long one has been reading the series.
It's not that it has a direct relevance to this topic, it's that I am trying to explain my thought-process since you seem to be inquiring an explanation/elaboration on it. I'm saying that my past experiences with Berserk fandom online subconsciously shapes my presuppositions (even if I am consciously aware that the participants on this site are not the type to have inane commentary) of what I think is an obvious statement/issue in a discussion on Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
I don't mean to imply that their current relationship should be the main influencing/deciding factor in their establishment of a new relationship, but more an important secondary factor that gives their relationship overall am additional unique quality.

I know, that's why I said this clarification of your position dampened the significance of your original comment as I first saw it, because to me the exact way in which she learns about her companions will be secondary to her new experiences with them. Moreover, I don't believe her having extensive memories of that time (as opposed to partial, fragmented bits) would bring much value to the new relationships, something you don't seem to disagree with.

Theozilla said:
It's not that it has a direct relevance to this topic, it's that I am trying to explain my thought-process since you seem to be inquiring an explanation/elaboration on it. I'm saying that my past experiences with Berserk fandom online subconsciously shapes my presuppositions (even if I am consciously aware that the participants on this site are not the type to have inane commentary) of what I think is an obvious statement/issue in a discussion on Berserk.

If you say so.

Aazealh said:
I know, that's why I said this clarification of your position dampened the significance of your original comment as I first saw it, because to me the exact way in which she learns about her companions will be secondary to her new experiences with them.
Oh, well then I don't think I intended my original comment to have been interpreted the way you did initially. I think Casca retaining her post-Eclipse memories is significant, just not of primary significance.

Aazealh said:
Moreover, I don't believe her having extensive memories of that time (as opposed to partial, fragmented bits) would bring much value to the new relationships, something you don't seem to disagree with.
Well, I agree that they wouldn't have have as much value as her new experiences, but I do think they still have value as an emotional/mental modifier for Casca's potential future interactions in a secondary significant sense.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
Oh, well then I don't think I intended my original comment to have been interpreted the way you did initially.

Well yeah, I gathered as much from your later posts, as I've been telling you...

Theozilla said:
Well, I agree that they wouldn't have have as much value as her new experiences, but I do think they still value as emotional/mental modifier for Casca's potential future interactions in a secondary significant sense.

My point is about the extensiveness of her remembrance.

There sure is a lot of drama on the net this week....

I enjoyed the podcast!

Do you three think we're really 3 or so episodes away from meeting the king? Definitely possible, I'm just still in awe we're here.

I also would be surprised if the king of the elves didn't have a kind of quirky personality that might throw the crew off a tad.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
I enjoyed the podcast!

Do you three think we're really 3 or so episodes away from meeting the king? Definitely possible, I'm just still in awe we're here.

I also would be surprised if the king of the elves didn't have a kind of quirky personality that might throw the crew off a tad.

I wouldn't bet on a specific number, but I think it'll occur quickly enough, sure. After that it's just a matter of what they encounter along the way or whether the king will be immediately available.

Thanks for another great episode!

Walter said:
I tried something new for the intro and outro music this time: I made them into backing music for the opening 4 minutes and the closing 2 minutes, so it plays at low volume underneath what we're saying. Both are tracks from the Dreamcast game's soundtrack, though they aren't by Hirasawa Susumu.

What did everyone think of this? Liked it / Didn't like it / Didn't notice?

I didn't like it. I found the music distracting, particularly the one playing at the beginning of the show.

Walter said:
I tried something new for the intro and outro music this time: I made them into backing music for the opening 4 minutes and the closing 2 minutes, so it plays at low volume underneath what we're saying. Both are tracks from the Dreamcast game's soundtrack, though they aren't by Hirasawa Susumu.

What did everyone think of this? Liked it / Didn't like it / Didn't notice?

I liked it. It was pleasant. I think you're onto something, definitely. Perhaps play around with the appearance and length of the intros and outros a bit more, but overall a step in the right direction toward I think a better podcast. In episode 70 I particularly enjoyed the outro. It came in just in time to get me in a mindset that I had better be lining up my next form of audio entertainment. It's a weird thing to praise it for maybe, but perhaps this is one of the intentions of an outro for such things as podcasts and other radio shows. I was able to plot ahead for a stopping point at work to turn on some music I believe by the time the podcast actually ended. In episode 71 it was a bit different, with music coming in over (or under rather) Aaz's talking. This time it took me out a little bit, but like I said keep playing around with it. The quality of the show has risen by leaps and bounds from its beginnings, with all the imaginative humor, speculation, and technical analysis ever present and intact throughout the journey. :ubik:

Top Bottom