Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 71

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 71: A Crack in the Sword (Vol 17-2) (1h 8m)

Early release!

In the final half of our Volume 17 re-read, Zodd finds his purpose and Guts discovers his weakness, making a promise he's kept to this day.

We try something a little different with the re-read format: Switching narrators with each episode. I think it worked well! Unfortunately, we ran a little too close on time, and had to wrap up just before the end of the volume. So for our next re-read episode, we'll finish out 17 and work our way into Vol 18.

===========================================
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or by plugging this address
into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

===========================================

Just finished listening to this and it became one of my favorite podcasts. I had a tough exam week and listening to this was the perfect opportunity to finally relax. Gotta say though, having every 2 weeks a podcast and every month a berserk episode is truly awsome :void:

Volume 17 is one of my most favorite volumes from the entire series for many reasons. Guts being alone in the cage, reflecting on his past, on Godot's words and on his own mistakes is really something that made me respect his character even more.

Really enjoyed the talk about Zodd's dream about the Falcon of Light and especially the talk on how Griffith approached him.

I appreciate the new format of switching narrators with each episode. Sometimes it would feel as if someone would be left out during a conversation, but this time everybody was involved in it which i really liked.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I really enjoyed this podcast as well. I thought the way each of you took an episode worked great too. I wouldn't mind that going forward.

P.S. Griffith, I really like your comments and I truly think you have a lot to add to each and every discussion. Having said that, you know, maybe it's my OCD or something, you know, but I do have to say that, you know, sometimes I can't help but notice how many "you know's" you throw in there, you know? :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
Just finished listening to this and it became one of my favorite podcasts. I had a tough exam week and listening to this was the perfect opportunity to finally relax.

Wow, high praise! That's great to hear.

Volume 17 is one of my most favorite volumes from the entire series for many reasons. Guts being alone in the cage, reflecting on his past, on Godot's words and on his own mistakes is really something that made me respect his character even more.

Those scenes are a key aspect of the emotional heart of the series.

I appreciate the new format of switching narrators with each episode. Sometimes it would feel as if someone would be left out during a conversation, but this time everybody was involved in it which i really liked.

Yep, anyone paying close attention could probably hear me start to drag and meander through the narration toward the end of the episodes. This saves me from having to carry it all, and I think the whole thing felt more fresh as a result. The only frustrating part is, we only just now discovered it :judo:

Oburi said:
I really enjoyed this podcast as well. I thought the way each of you took an episode worked great too. I wouldn't mind that going forward.

Thanks. That's the plan.

P.S. Griffith, I really like your comments and I truly think you have a lot to add to each and every discussion. Having said that, you know, maybe it's my OCD or something, you know, but I do have to say that, you know, sometimes I can't help but notice how many "you know's" you throw in there, you know? :serpico:

We need to get you in front of a mic and count your "ya knows" :griffnotevil:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
We need to get you in front of a mic and count your "ya knows" :griffnotevil:

Ha touche!

Actually one thing I had a question on is when you're talking about the vision/dream Guts has of Casca. I always assumed it was obvious enough that the demon child was responsible for the whole thing in an attempt to save it's mother from a certain death, but as you guys pointed out it is very specific and prophetic. Is it curious that the demon child would even have the ability to create such a vision for Guts? Aaz also mentioned the interesting contrast between Guts' vision and Zodds vision, and that it could almost be seen as Femto taunting Guts with Casca's certain impending doom.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that there is more at work behind the whole thing. Skullknight? Femto? Something else? After all, the child, appearing with Casca's face, recites the cryptic words that turn out to be prophetic and uses the term "blind sheep".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Actually one thing I had a question on is when you're talking about the vision/dream Guts has of Casca. I always assumed it was obvious enough that the demon child was responsible for the whole thing in an attempt to save it's mother from a certain death, but as you guys pointed out it is very specific and prophetic.

I think we saw Guts' version of the Falcon of Light dream, and afterward, the child clarified it by delivering the portion of the prophecy Zodd heard. It gave Guts a direction to try and prevent that prophetic vision from occurring.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that there is more at work behind the whole thing. Skullknight? Femto? Something else? After all, the child, appearing with Casca's face, recites the cryptic words that turn out to be prophetic and uses the term "blind sheep".

I didn't think that power seemed out of the ordinary.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I always assumed it was obvious enough that the demon child was responsible for the whole thing in an attempt to save it's mother from a certain death, but as you guys pointed out it is very specific and prophetic. Is it curious that the demon child would even have the ability to create such a vision for Guts? Aaz also mentioned the interesting contrast between Guts' vision and Zodds vision, and that it could almost be seen as Femto taunting Guts with Casca's certain impending doom.

It's very clear to me that the dream comes from Femto, same as all the other dreams we're shown. Like we said on the podcast, the boy just appears afterwards to warn Guts, clarifying that it wasn't any random nightmare. He comes to dad because he knows mom's in danger. But there's just no way the dream itself comes from him. He just managed to "tap" into it thanks to his powers (possibly helped by/if he had a similar dream himself).

Aazealh said:
He just managed to "tap" into it thanks to his powers (possibly helped by/if he had a similar dream himself).

I always assumed the child also had a similar dream and that is how he knew the details. He has a large role to play at the tower just like the others.

Also, I never really paid any particular attention to the name of the temple before. Albion possibly being the name of the wise man from the story is a cool little detail.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
Albion possibly being the name of the wise man from the story is a cool little detail.

Yeah when it occurred to me I was like, how could I, Void Fan #1, not have thought of that before after all these years? :sad:

Great podcast, guys! I really enjoyed it. Thanks! :ubik:

I liked how Aazealh made the comparison between Guts and Farnese and how they both were in denial of the truth. They both became monsters of sorts in an attempt to escape their pain and fear. Both of them had to be confronted in order to begin to move beyond that. I hadn't thought about these two having that in common before. With Guts, Puck started the process when he would call Guts out on how he was acting during their travels together. That got Guts to begin thinking about what he was doing and then Godot just drives it on home when he and Guts have their talk. For Farnese Guts is the one who is the catalyst for her change by forcing her to see the truth of her own weakness and hypocrisy.

I also liked how Griffith highlighted Guts' thoughts when he sees what Rickert's done on the hill of swords. Rickert always looked up to Guts in the past, but here Guts is admiring Rickert. I love that Guts and Rickert are so different, but both possess such strong wills and that they can appreciate each other for their different skills and strengths. :guts: :rickert:

Top Bottom