Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 74

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 74: Bowels of the Holy Land (Vol. 18-2) (1h 57m)

We dive deeper into Volume 18, exploring the heretical orgy, Isidro and Guts relationship, and of course one of the Skull Knight's most important talks with Guts. That's a wrap for Vol 18!

===========================================
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or by plugging this address
into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

===========================================

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Thanks for another great Skullkast guys! The moon metaphor is one of my most favorite quotes of the entire series. I remember a number of years ago bringing it up to a friend and having a very illuminating discussion that was pretty transformative for the both of us at the time. It was pretty humorous listening to y'all give Aaz a hard time about the sometimes wild (mis)interpretations it has fostered over the years!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
It was pretty humorous listening to y'all give Aaz a hard time about the sometimes wild (mis)interpretations it has fostered over the years!

Heheh, glad you enjoyed it. I felt like a kid in the back row of a class, picking on the teacher. I felt pretty bad about it afterward :farnese:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Heheh, glad you enjoyed it. I felt like a kid in the back row of a class, picking on the teacher. I felt pretty bad about it afterward :farnese:

Not me; it's my normal role on the show! :ganishka:

I was pleasantly surprised at the discussion we got out of this section. One that, as noted, gets sort of a bad rap for it's explicit content and for featuring relatively little of the main character. But in depth every episode was awesome, from the pagan orgy, to Guts and Isidro, Guts and Skully REVEL-FUCKING-LATIONS, and of course Serpico and Farnese, it was all great. One of my favorite re-reads in retrospect.

Excellent show guys! This may go down as one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed your observations on the Beherit Apostle and look forward to more, I find that a very interesting character. It's really great to have something like this while there isn't much going on Berserk-wise, really makes my day. It's the next best thing to a new episode!

As a side note: If you look closely at the panel where Joachim is reciting the words to the cult leader you can also see he has large hairy legs with hooves and the walls around them are made of naked bodies, so there is definitely a lot of hallucination within in those scenes. Very subtle stuff, very cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
As a side note: If you look closely at the panel where Joachim is reciting the words to the cult leader you can also see he has large hairy legs with hooves and the walls around them are made of naked bodies, so there is definitely a lot of hallucination within in those scenes. Very subtle stuff, very cool.

And two panels later, a snake penis :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Great episode guys. Quick question, what's that version of 'Murder' on the outro? I've never heard this version before.

Good catch! It's actually not Murder, but Kun Mae #3, a Susumu song that predates the anime's soundtrack. It's basically the prototype of Murder, just as Take the Wheel is the prototype of Forces.

Thanks for another great episode.

Question/Suggestion:
Would it be possible for you guys in the future to have a video podcast instead? The thing I am missing the most is being able to follow what pages/panels you are referring too. Of course I can do that on my own time, bring out the Volumes and follow that way. However it is not something I feel like doing or have the time to do either.

Would absolutely love if Walter for instance you had a monitor being recorded while you guys talk and people can see exactly what panel you guys are referring too.

It is some extra work though. Most likely you have already looked at this idea and decided it to be too much.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
That's a pretty cool idea, and could be done as a post-production extra kind of thing. It would be time consuming though. If it's cool with the casters, maybe some other board members could try putting together a video for one of the existing podcasts and see how it goes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
asic said:
Thanks for another great episode.

Thanks!

Question/Suggestion:
Would it be possible for you guys in the future to have a video podcast instead? The thing I am missing the most is being able to follow what pages/panels you are referring too. Of course I can do that on my own time, bring out the Volumes and follow that way. However it is not something I feel like doing or have the time to do either.

We've talked about doing it before. Google Hangouts could accomplish this pretty easily, as could Skype to a lesser extent. But it presents a few challenges. For one, I think of this as an audio-only podcast. I think only a fraction of our listeners are probably sitting in front of their screens listening attentively to us. I imagine most are like me, listening while driving, doing chores around the house, taking a walk, etc. So I don't think a visual element would be useful to incorporate, just from a format perspective. There's also the issue of legality. I'm not sure how we could do it that wouldn't just be showing off copywritten material to everyone on the Internet.

I think it'd probably be best if when people are confused about what the visual is we're describing, they just go check their copy of Berserk.

However, on the topic of videos... this year we're all in agreement that we'd like to do a video podcast reviewing the Berserk Dreamcast game's cinematic sequences. That's about as far as we've gotten in the discussion: the desire to do one :guts:

I think only a fraction of our listeners are probably sitting in front of their screens listening attentively to us. I imagine most are like me, listening while driving, doing chores around the house, taking a walk, etc.

Yeah perhaps, I mostly listen while I am on the train or at work, both instances where video would have been quite nice. Would be nice seeing video podcasts on a Skullknight youtube channel one day, I believe a lot more people would tune in as well if that was the case. As Lithrael said there might be members you trust that would be interested in some editing work.

I just want more Berserk in my life and having good analyzed content with video would be pretty sweet. Would also make me want to rewatch/listen more to all the old podcasts. It could be a patreon goal, at least one I would be throwing money at.

The legality is difficult but as long as it's under the fair use laws it should be okay?

I will be looking forward to the Dreamcast review then :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asic said:
The legality is difficult but as long as it's under the fair use laws it should be okay?

What you're asking for definitely does not fall under fair use laws. So basically if you can't be bothered to turn the pages yourself as you listen, you're out of luck.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Aazealh said:
What you're asking for definitely does not fall under fair use laws.

That would depend on how it was done. A full read-along with every panel would overstep fair use to be sure. But the US version of fair use at least, specifically allows showing material for commentary or review purposes; you just, essentially, can't reproduce practically all of the material. So showing a few short sequences and a few pointed panels under commentary would not violate the spirit or the letter of US fair use.

Unrelated to this particular circumstance, since we are self-policing on this issue anyway and nobody is likely to ever actually legally object... but, most people don't realise US fair use isn't a rule that automatically excuses a person from any trouble. The way fair use works in the US is, anyone whose work you quote can sue you no matter what. THEN you'd invoke fair use in court to show your use was fair. It's only if the suit was clearly silly that the court might throw it out without any penalty or hassle for you. All the stuff about takedowns on Youtube isn't usually court related, it's usually Youtube covering its ass preemptively when someone complains, and then sometimes deciding for itself that fair use would apply if anyone escalated the complaint, and being willing to stand up for you enough to continue to host your material. Being sued and then defending the material as fair use usually doesn't enter into it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
However, on the topic of videos... this year we're all in agreement that we'd like to do a video podcast reviewing the Berserk Dreamcast game's cinematic sequences. That's about as far as we've gotten in the discussion: the desire to do one :guts:

Nice :guts:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:

Count me excited!

As for the video podcast, I mostly listen while I'm doing something else (driving, editing scores, mindless video games). I think it could be done with proper editing, such as only showing specific panels that are brought up for deeper discussion (maybe also removing the text like we usually do here when posting images), and then maybe only showing text when specifically talking about words/translations. It would be a lot of work, could be fun, but would really need to be handled in a way that would enhance the discussion instead of provide another means for people to read the story.

All that said, I wouldn't be particularly interested in sitting down and watching a 1-2 hour video that follows the SkullKast format. I'd probably end up doing other things while it was on, and then the experience wouldn't be any different from the regular audio-only format anyway.

Lithrael said:
All the stuff about takedowns on Youtube isn't usually court related, it's usually Youtube covering its ass preemptively when someone complains, and then sometimes deciding for itself that fair use would apply if anyone escalated the complaint, and being willing to stand up for you enough to continue to host your material. Being sued and then defending the material as fair use usually doesn't enter into it.

Yup this was my experience with Berserk Redux. There was no DMCA notice or cease and desist letter from rights holders, just vimeo updating its copywrite detection software.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Just wanted to thank you guys, Walter, Aazealh, and Griffith. I can't appreciate you guys enough for going over these volumes. I'm currently going through your podcasts slowly when I'm at work before our store opens. I've read Berserk so many times, but yet you guys point things out all the time that blows my mind and makes me think differently.

I don't care how long it takes to go through a volume, I love hearing all your points and ideas for each panel. It makes me rethink how I felt on certain parts of the manga. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Just wanted to thank you guys, Walter, Aazealh, and Griffith. I can't appreciate you guys enough for going over these volumes. I'm currently going through your podcasts slowly when I'm at work before our store opens. I've read Berserk so many times, but yet you guys point things out all the time that blows my mind and makes me think differently.

I don't care how long it takes to go through a volume, I love hearing all your points and ideas for each panel. It makes me rethink how I felt on certain parts of the manga. :guts:

Thanks so much! Glad our ideas help you appreciate the series more.

I think I've said this on the podcast a few times, but I started the show because I realized there were so many things Griff, Aaz and I talked about in relation to Berserk that never ended up in a post on the forum because there' just not always a logical place for it. Sometimes, you don't even consider something until you're presented with it in conversation. And along the way, we've all learned from each other's perspectives.

Top Bottom