Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 9

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 9: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast9.mp3

It's the first time we've had both Griff and Aaz on the same podcast in three weeks. With the full gang reassembled, we discuss the creator of Berserk, Kentarou Miura: Who he is, where he came from, where he stands on the stage of other manga artists. Later, we spend some more time talking Mass Effect 3 now that Aaz is back to give his impressions on the game and the ending. SPOILERS! Also, Skype turns Walter into a Reaper by the end of the discussion.

Podcast Notes:
00:00:34 - Introduction, Miura talk
00:40:16 - Mass Effect 3
01:39:54 - Walter becomes a Reaper
01:42:22 - Other news/Kid Icarus

Oburi

All praise Grail
I really liked the Mass Effect discussion. I forget who said it but I agree that what gave the ending a little more emotional impact was how
it was shown and stated that everything was taking a toll on Shepard. He even gets into a little argument with Joker at one point. To see him in the Citadel at the end all beaten and bloodied, as well as the scene with Illusive Man, really felt like it was the be all end all, and it had that emotional punch for me. I also loved how we get to see that one Keeper who is still working away despite all the death. That was eerie.

Also to what Griffith was mentioning about what they could have done with the ending. I too thought about something where they showed what happened to everyone after the Reaper war. I was specifically imagining something similar to my all time favorite game series, Suikoden. At the end of those games (the first two anyway) they have little passages explaining what so and so went off to do. It works so well for big game series with lots of characters (Suikoden had hundreds). Here it is on youtube, where it's set to beautiful imagery and haunting music. Also if you hadn't run into a certain character it would just be blank. I truly feel Bioware could have taken a page out of Suikoden for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmOjBnnrFds
Anyway great podcast guys.

Great to listen to another episode! Was surpised not to hear Aaz's impressions of the second movie trailer since he missed it last week!

Great Podcast guys, it was nice that you all were able to participate this time. I really enjoyed the conversation about Mr. Miura. Too bad that i haven't played any of the mass effect games so i couldn't really follow the conversation at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Great to listen to another episode! Was surpised not to hear Aaz's impressions of the second movie trailer since he missed it last week!

I don't have much to say about it that hasn't already been said. Might sound like heresy to some but I'm not very excited about it in general. Doesn't look too bad, but I agree Walter & Griffith's remarks (changing Gennon's beard for no reason whatsoever and the tendency to exaggerate/overdo everything). If anything I'm curious about what they're changing.

Joe Chip said:
Too bad that i haven't played any of the mass effect games so i couldn't really follow the conversation at all.

It's never too late.
N7.gif

Great podcast as usual :ubik: Laughed so hard at the reaper part...
It never happened it before, but now, after listening to 9 podcasts, my brain automatically reads your posts in your voices, guys... Aaz sounds less scary this way, so it's not bad at all :ganishka:
It was nice to hear you talk about the prototype and Miura's other works. For me this was the most interesting topic so far.
Also, if Guts was in Transylvania... which was part of Hungary in the Middle Ages... that means he visited my country. Fuck yeah :guts: <- "Berserk takes place in a fantasy world, not real Middle Ages" Shit, disappointed... :troll:

Thanks for the response Aaz, that is pretty much how I thought you felt about it based on what you've said in the main thread. Also can't believe how into Mass Effect you guys are! I honestly listen to your whole talks about it but have never played the games myself, definitely makes me want to check them out for myself!

Also great talk about Miura, there really isn't a lot of information on him but it was interesting hearing about some of his older series and inspirations. Also the age he started making his own manga! That was crazy and really made me respect him even more as a talented artist.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great Miura discussion, guys! I was surprised to hear so much stuff that I already knew about, which was actually a cool surprise. Either it speaks to the fact that there's just that little info out there about him, or that I'm just a way better Miura fan than I ever gave myself credit for. :troll:

I also enjoyed the comparison between Miura and Inoue's art styles. I know that Griff posted a photo of the two sitting together once, and I couldn't help but notice that their approaches as artists corresponded perfectly to their postures: Miura was sitting up straight, nice and formal, while Inoue was stretching out his legs and taking it easy. Another example of life imitating art, I guess! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Also can't believe how into Mass Effect you guys are! I honestly listen to your whole talks about it but have never played the games myself, definitely makes me want to check them out for myself!

If you like science-fiction it's a must-have. And while we're at it, you should check this game out as well.

Draculoid said:
Also great talk about Miura, there really isn't a lot of information on him but it was interesting hearing about some of his older serise and inspirations. Also the age he started making his own Manga! That was crazy and really made me respect him even more as a talented artist.

There's quite a bit of info out there actually, but it's bits and pieces, so not always simple to put together, and all in Japanese of course.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
I really liked the Mass Effect discussion. I forget who said it but I agree that what gave the ending a little more emotional impact was how
it was shown and stated that everything was taking a toll on Shepard.

It was me. :badbone:

BTW, I forgot to bring up the correlation between the ending and this bit of business from ME1:

http://kotaku.com/5897486/was-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-telegraphed-five-years-ago

Was it all planned from the start!? :void: :schnoz:

(no, probably not)

Oburi said:
Also to what Griffith was mentioning about what they could have done with the ending. I too thought about something where they showed what happened to everyone after the Reaper war. I was specifically imagining something similar to my all time favorite game series, Suikoden.

Yeah, I believe I mentioned Fallout, here's that example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_P086L5LU#t=0m44s

Pretty dry by today's standards, but BioWare could have easily pulled it off with a slick visual-based montage. For example, showing Wrex peacefully rebuilding Tuchanka with Eve, or Wreav's autocratic regime building up for war. I think if they had just done something like this without changing anything else they would have silenced most of their critics. I still hope that's essentially all they do, or maybe a little context augmentation to make the purpose of the Reaper's more... comprehensively incomprehensible, and less like circular reasoning. Well, since they are evil, maybe what they're doing shouldn't make too much sense. =)

BTW, here's the Mega 64 video on that subject:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mass-effect-mega64/728611

Aazealh said:
I agree Walter & Griffith's remarks (changing Gennon's beard for no reason whatsoever and the tendency to exaggerate/overdo everything).

It all comes down to the same thing: idiotic exaggeration and ignorance of the consequences. Gennon is older, so to convey that his beard must be STARK WHITE! No mind paid to the unintended effects of that change, like him now resembling Santa Claus. Same reason his armor is black now; don't want to confuse the audience! "Durr, he's old now cuz his beard's white! But he's wearing a gold armor, is he on the good side; I thought he was a bad guy? Oh wait, he wears black, he's with the bad guys!" And that's how Gennon becomes...

badsanta.jpg

Aazealh said:
If you like science-fiction it's a must-have. And while we're at it, you should check this game out as well.

Speaking of that game, I came close to mentioning yesterday, when we were discussing expanding the general gameplay versus focusing on "core" gameplay, that it would have been cool to somehow incorporate actual ship control/combat of some kind (beyond cursoring around on the map). I guess that'll just have to exist in my ideal Mass Effect reality where the series continued in the direction of the original's more open world; ultimately leading to a Mass Effect 3 where not only can you land on every planets, but explore each entire world! :daiba: :daiba: :daiba:

Maybe it'll happen with the inevitable release of Mass Effect Online. :SK:

Oh yeah, the point was it would have been cool to actually fly the Normandy and engage in ship to ship combat, which would have been a logical gameplay addition, but probably a sequel and philosophy shift too late by ME3's time.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just listened to it and I enjoyed the Miura discussion, as well. Like Grail, I knew most (if not all) of the information brought up about Miura, so I was proud of myself, too.

I skipped the Mass Effect 3 discussion (I fast-forwarded to Walter becoming a Reaper, though) because I haven't finished playing it yet. To be honest, I started over with Mass Effect again, because the choices I made in that game (mainly leaving Ashley alive and making her my romantic interest), were making Mass Effect 3 more and more unenjoyable.

That being said, I forgot how much I love the first game and the ability to cruise around on all of the plot- and sidequest-related worlds. That was one thing I really missed in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Oh well.

I don't have a DS or 3DS, so I can't play Kid Icarus, but I've enjoyed the hell out of the commercials I've seen. The odds of me purchasing a DS or 3DS are pretty low right now, but it's something I'm keeping in mind, nevertheless.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Rhombaad said:
That being said, I forgot how much I love the first game and the ability to cruise around on all of the plot- and sidequest-related worlds. That was one thing I really missed in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Oh well.
Same here. While I do clearly remember a few instances where I'd just be tired of trundling around on some rocky terrain for two hours, it actually helped the universe feel a little less linear. Mining for materials is a fun little minigame and all, but it loses its novelty pretty fast. Not to mention that it sets off my carpal tunnel something fierce. :judo:

Rhombaad said:
To be honest, I started over with Mass Effect again ... more and more unenjoyable.
I'll pretend I didn't read that because I was going to try out the game.

Question for Griffith - Now that the 97 TV series is out on Blu Ray and the difference in picture is significant, are you considering redoing Berserk Recut in that quality? :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
I'll pretend I didn't read that because I was going to try out the game.

What part of what I said made you feel that Mass Effect (or Mass Effect 3? I'm not sure which game you're going to try out) wouldn't be enjoyable? Also, keep in mind that it's just my opinion. Some people may have made those choices and enjoyed what resulted from them.

I'm going to start with the first game and was referring to your opinion on Ashley. It really doesn't matter, no worries. I haven't caught up with the podcasts as yet and will skip the game discussion on this one.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
I'm going to start with the first game and was referring to your opinion on Ashley. It really doesn't matter, no worries. I haven't caught up with the podcasts as yet and will skip the game discussion on this one.

Gotcha. Yeah, I recommend Liara all the way, but it's up to you, afterall. I think you're really going to enjoy the games. :serpico:

Top Bottom