Something that's been bugging me:

Alright, first I have to admit something. I like to call myself a real Berserk fan, but so far I've only seen the '97 anime, the movie trilogy and I've only read the first 2 volumes. I've also seen a lot of pictures from later volumes on the internet so quite a few things have sadly already been spoiled for me. Despite that I'm absolutely in love with the series and I'm planning on reading the entire manga.
However, one thing has been bothering me since I've discovered it. It's one of those "once you see it, you can't unsee it" kind of things, so you've been warned I guess.
While reading trough the first 2 volumes i noticed that Guts' cloak seems to be in impossible positions in some panels. The hilt of the Dragonslayer is constantly in the way, but it doesn't seem to stop the cloak from covering Guts' entire back and shoulders even though that wouldn't be possible due to the position of his sword while sheathed. Also, in scenes where Guts is wearing his cloak like a 'robe' with his hood on, it wraps around the hilt of the Dragonslayer in a way that I just don't understand. The only explanation I can think of is that there is a hole in his cape/cloak that would allow the hilt to stick trough it, but that wouldn't make sense (sheathing / unsheathing). After i noticed this I went back to the 97 anime and saw the same thing. Guts' cape being in impossible positions, and in some frames his sword is even placed on top of the cape instead of underneath it.
Now I know that Guts changes capes and cloaks over the course of the story, so I wonder if this issue ever gets adressed throughout the manga. I tried looking up some pictures of different angles from Guts with his sword sheathed underneath his cloak, but I just can't seem to figure out how it works.
I was wondering if you guys could help me out! Do you have some pictures from the manga or anime that show how Guts' cape\cloak works, and how his sword fits underneath it?
P.S. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for these kind of long-winded questions

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think your confusion is in assuming that Guts' cape is worn symmetrically down the center of his body. But he actually wears it off to the side, so the opening of it starts around his right arm, and allows him to drape the cape around the hilt. Notice that when he has the cloak enveloping him, it bunches up around the hilt, because he's draping it around the hilt. These two photos from Volume 1 make it pretty clear what's happening:

vol1-cape1.jpg
vol1-cape2.jpg

buttonmasher said:
Thank God we figured this one out I almost thought Berserk wasn't 100% realistic for a second. Whew!

Even though unrealistic at the core, Miura does still put quite a lot of technical thought into his designs, funnily enough.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bleac said:
Even though unrealistic at the core, Miura does still put quite a lot of technical thought into his designs, funnily enough.

One such things is people assume the repeating crossbow is just a fantasy thing whereas such devices really did exist historically and Miura's design is actually functional.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
One such things is people assume the repeating crossbow is just a fantasy thing whereas such devices really did exist historically and Miura's design is actually functional.

Oh neat! I knew about other cool weapons like the urumi that were real but did not knew about the repeating crossbow! Always Learning new things about Berserk here even after years of hanging around. :guts:

Top Bottom