Space Pirate Captain Harlock 2012

X

Xem

So as some of you may know I'm an avid Harlock fan, I eat up Matsumoto's universe like candy so when I heard about this I almost pee'd myself.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

20100324_harlock_1.png

http://neoshinka.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/space-pirate-captain-harlock-2012-cg-movie/

Probably not really deserving of it's own thread based on the assumption not very many people around here are gonzo-bonkers about Harlock like I am, but nonetheless this shall be badass.

"One of the titles is Space Pirate Captain Harlock with a production budget of several tens of millions of U.S. dollar. Toei Animation is planning to release these works theatrically in Europe, North America, Asia, and elsewhere in 2012 or later."

That's right, in theaters! :ubik: :ubik: :ubik:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
That's pretty cool! I was introduced to galaxy express 999 first, and didn't watch many Harlock episodes. I'm still excited to see it in theatres.

Thanks for posting updates Deci and Joe Chip.

I don't like the character design, I personally prefer that old school look the characters originally have. Here they look 'meh'. Everything looks epic, downside - kinda looks like a video game trailer. Buuuuuuuut I'll watch it when it comes out, without a doubt!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the two Harlock TV series of the eighties as a kid. Not a favorite of mine to be honest, but it's a classic and this release is cool for the fans, especially given the international scope of the movie.

Deci said:
Probably not really deserving of it's own thread based on the assumption not very many people around here are gonzo-bonkers about Harlock like I am, but nonetheless this shall be badass.

No reason not to make a thread.

X

Xem

Joe Chip said:
Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7ZjB7lzgI

Thanks Joe!! :ubik: :ubik:

Looks like they're putting some emphasis on Kei Yuki. I'd much prefer to see Mimay personally but what can ya do.

IncantatioN said:
Thanks for posting updates Deci and Joe Chip.

I don't like the character design, I personally prefer that old school look the characters originally have. Here they look 'meh'. Everything looks epic, downside - kinda looks like a video game trailer. Buuuuuuuut I'll watch it when it comes out, without a doubt!

Yeah the original designs are what adds that certain charm the series delivers, hopefully we'll still get some of that, Harlock and Kei are usually more mature-looking in comparison to Dr. Zero and the rest of the potato-head pirates. The series could be pretty depressing if it was just Harlock soaring the cosmos looking for a place to die.

It's really hard for me to complain, I'm just too excited at the moment. Wooooo!

Deci

Well this is now a 2013 movie, with a dute date of this Autumn in Japan, theatrically. No international release dates but they're sure to come.

There's an official English trailer courtesy Toei Animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnPylYYdUts

And a new longer leaked trailer showing more characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ajE792BYg&feature=youtu.be

It seems they are combining elements from different iterations of the story. The military officer looks very reminiscent of a character from Endless Odyssey, while it appears we are also getting story from Arcadia of my Youth and the original SPCH series. Also, instead of their being any kind of alien invasion, it would seem that Earth's government will be the opposing force.

There's also a kind of Steampunk/Cyberpunkish vibe to the whole thing, which depending on your tastes could be good or bad. It should be noted that the creator of Harlock was initially very upset with the studio over changes made to the Arcadia, but he also expressed that after he gave them a good scolding the final product will be much more to his liking. I wonder if Muira was given this kind of opportunity for the new Saga (who am I kidding :p).

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Saw these in my childhood. Never became a hardcore fan myself either, but I always liked the art design. I'm really happy to see that it's been taken in a serious note. I'll watch this for sure.

Top Bottom