Spikey's Colors

CnC

Ad Oculos
shouldn't use scanlations :miura:

But other than that, I like it!
The colors are good. The yellow pants are a bit distracting, and drawing away from what (I think) would be a better focal point, which is Judo's hair. He's falling here, its that fall that is the point of the picture. So things like his blood, crumpled armor, and head are far more important than what Caska's doing. So for the most part you've nailed it. However things like the yellow pants and the pinkish reflections you've put on Caska's armor are a tad off.
Good work.

CnC said:
shouldn't use scanlations :miura:

Not only is it a scanlation, it's a horribly mistranslated scanlation..... :griff:

Anyway, I love the coloring. The 'pinkish reflections' look like blood stains and are pretty neat, maybe if you put a darker red highlight in them it'll fit in nicer.

CnC

Ad Oculos
yota821 said:
Not only is it a scanlation, it's a horribly mistranslated scanlation..... :griff:

my point exactly.

yota821 said:
Anyway, I love the coloring. The 'pinkish reflections' look like blood stains and are pretty neat, maybe if you put a darker red highlight in them it'll fit in nicer.

if they are bloodstains (stain not being the right word on armor I suppose) then i would make it a bit more obvious. Blood doesn't become pink when on metal.

thanx 4 the pointer on the scans! my bad on that... :judo: thanx for the critiques it's helping me out earlier in the work.

EDIT: alright i modified the post & just nixed the bad translation altogher to focus more on Miura's work. I also toned down the pants, adjusted that pink hue in Casca's armor & added more blood smudges(smears?) :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
spikeyhairedcadet said:
alright i modified the post & just nixed the bad translation altogher to focus more on Miura's work. I also toned down the pants, adjusted that pink hue in Casca's armor & added more blood smudges(smears?) :guts:

much better. I'm still not diggin' the pants all that much. but whatever, good work

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Berserk%20Colorings/b11748a8.jpg

New stuff! :carcus: The wall could use a lil work... :schierke:
I reworked the link & took off that layer on the fake hand.

CnC

Ad Oculos
spikeyhairedcadet said:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Berserk%20Colorings/Berserk_Chapter14_3copy.jpg
New stuff! :carcus: The wall could use a lil work... :schierke:

You're improving :)

Well, the wall doesn't stand out as being neglected of detail. But thats a good thing, since the wall could be out of focus and it would only strengthen the panel. The wall isn't really needed.
The thing that stands out to me would be the orangish color on Guts hand. What is that?
If its a highlight from the cannon fire, it doesn't work for two reasons. The light souce of the picture is coming from the top left. The part of the hand you've highlighted is already in shadow (as indicated by the linework). To add a hightlight there would mean having to re-do the linework (lotta work) so that the form of the hand is still correct. Second reason is I don't think the glow from the cannon is that strong, unless he just shot the ground (he didn't in the story anyway), and theres a fire down there.

That facial expression could be a "Oops", moment :guts:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Great! I really love the shadding in Judeau's hair. The armor is neat also, looks like its reflecting light/colors.

Nice work! :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey spiky.

congrats on all that free time :puck:. I'm jealous

I'd work on the highlights s'more. The placement of the yellow hightlights is somewhat odd (lips, too "spotty" on the armor). If that light source is indeed the sun, I'd darken up the shadows a bit.
Keep up the good work

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Berserk%20Colorings/Judeau.jpg">
updated! worked on blending the highlights on the armor & worked out darkening the armor & skin. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
yea notice how when you add darker shadows to compliment bright highlights it makes things pop out more?
You need to apply that kind of shadow to the hair. Like I said earlier (or in another thread, can't remember) hair works in layers(strands), don't shade it as if it were one object... makes it flat.
Its improving. keep at it

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
For some reason I don't remember seeing this one before, so I can't really say if it's an improvement or not.  But it is well done. :serpico:  You might want to adjust the color of the tears brimming in Casca's eyes in the top panel to something less bright and less blue.

Nice work! I agree with Rhombaad...modify the tears (I would add the tiniest bit of blue to the ones falling down her face)...
As for a suggestion of my own, for the faces (this is what I do, you dont have to listen). U paint ur face with the base color. Then with the face still selected (I select alot for using multiple layer for an object, i.e. A face) make a new layer, make it overlay, then get using red fill in the face, then adjust it to 15%.
Example
Before Red Overlay Layer:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Proj2501/Face.jpg
After:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Proj2501/FaceRed.jpg
Like I said, U might think it looks crappy, it's just what I do...for me it jus adds that lil extra.
Hope it helps!

CnC

Ad Oculos
its too dark on this monitor. I can (pretty much) only see Guts.

Edit:
moved to my LCD, now I can see it. Its still a bit too dark, but not a bad coloring. It could definitely use some highlights to indicate form.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Wow!!! very nice! I like how dark Samson's armor is (looks like it was made out of black onyx or something) but I admit its a tad too dark. The blood in the first frame is a bit too dark also. other then that fantastic work, I love it.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Nice work but I agree with Cnc, it needs some depth. You've got the highlights, now work on the shading. Also, using a screen layer to color the lines might help for the highlights.

Top Bottom