Spikey's Colors

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
spikeyhairedcadet said:
http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10009/Blackswordsman%20copy.jpg
Something I've been dabbling with for some time... :guts:
This one could use a lot more contrast. The fire from the cannon blast should light up the beetle familiar's face a lot more. The color is also bleeding a bit in a few areas. Also, don't be afraid to make the skin a bit darker when it's not being hit by the light. I doesn't have to be bright pink all the time. Getting better though, you're starting to get better with light sources.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Berserkercopy.jpg
Whoops! :serpico: I didn't realize that the orange for the light source was so subtle.  Heres an update...

CnC

Ad Oculos
spikeyhairedcadet said:
Whoops! :serpico: I didn't realize that the orange for the light source was so subtle. Heres an update...

well, thats an improvement. but i'd say its still too flat.

keep at it

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
spikeyhairedcadet said:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Berserkercopy.jpg
Whoops! :serpico: I didn't realize that the orange for the light source was so subtle.  Heres an update...
I kinda like this one, the pallette you used works out quite nicely.  A bit cleaner than the others too.  The skin is better than the last ones too, but like CnC said, still a bit flat.  don't be afraid to add a lot of contrast for the shadows and highlights.  In dark pictures the shadows will be pretty much black, and the light will be very purely colored.  Here's an example:
litme.jpg

Notice how you can barely see any of the original color of the face.  It's mostly a greyish faded skintone, browns, and black.  In torch light, the effect will be the same with much more orange colors.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Looks nice. You could improve the look of the armor by adding stronger shadows and highlights. Where the brightest highlight hits, a specular highlight, you could pretty much make it almost completely white. Right now, the texture of his skin, hair, and armor all look very similar.

CnC

Ad Oculos
spikeyhairedcadet said:
Thanks for the imput Sky!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikeyhairedslayer/Judeau4copy.jpg
I hope this ones a little bit stronger in the values.

Hey spikey.

There are parts of this I like. I like the sky and I like the lighting on the armor. However the lighting is inconsistant. It appears the light is coming from the top left but his pants have the lighting reversed. Plus the way you've shaded his head makes it look more like he's been punched in the eye and the light is coming from directly in front of him (a bit to the left, tho).

Overall tho, you're improving. Keep at it.

You've definately improved on your lighting work, although CnC is correct in pointing out your problem spots. Also, keep in mind when you're colouring, that objects in general are usually not flat (this does include the work you may be planning to do on the pants) - if you'll notice your hand, or your pants, there are thin lines of light on both sides of the object/fold, regardless of where the light is shining. Oh the perils of 3D. You've already done a great job with the armor, though.

Can't wait to see how else you improve.

CnC

Ad Oculos
not bad, there, spikey. the lighting is more uniform on this one.

A suggestion is that you end up with splotchy colors every now and (like the skin tone on the arm, for example). You might want to grab the smudge tool and even that out a bit. Am I correct in guessing your darkening via the burn tool? You also might want to pick a bit of the hair to highlight as well (only a smidge, not too much)
The pants seem to blend a bit too much into the black of the cape/hood. But this is kind of an interesting effect imo, I kinda dig it.

Yet another improvement, spikey. keep at it.

http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10009/Casca.jpg
A coloring that I've had lying around for some time now. Overall I'm happy how this one turned out, I hoped the leggings/boots weren't that saturated with color...

CnC

Ad Oculos
overall this is yet another improvement, spikey. good work.

Some suggestions would be if you're going to make the armor's shadows that dark then you have to apply a similar level of shading to the other articles of clothing.
Also you should probably give her some highlights, specifically on the armor/sword. If you added sharper highlights on the armor and sword it would give the appearance of metal.
As far as color choices go I think the leggings are too saturated/bright. I think the focus would probably be the face/sword area and must be shaded accordingly. But I suppose thats up to you.

Anyways, good work! Keep postin'.

I like this one Spikey! The only gripe I have is her left eye. The shadow you have around it is too dark, IMO. It looks like Guts got mad and gave her the ol' shiner.

Top Bottom