Starcraft 2

A friend of mine got into the beta and he let my play it for a bit. To be honest, I'm not too impressed so far. It's still got that SC feel to it but I was expecting an upgrade like what ME2 was to the first Mass Effect. AI is pretty dumb as well. I am absolutely horrible at RTS games and I have no trouble destroying their base. The graphics also look very similar to the style seen in WoW.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Shane said:
The graphics also look very similar to the style seen in WoW.

That seems to be a recurring theme with Blizzard, and one I'm not particularly pleased with.

Rereading this, this is moronic. My only real complaint is that the models currently being used in Diablo 3 seem to be redone from WoW, which really doesn't match the lush, detailed, and highly interesting backgrounds. There's even time for that to change, so we'll see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you playing against the AI on a multiplayer beta? Also, what looks particularly WoW like about the art design? I've seen several movies and screenshots, and that's not how I'd describe them at all.

The wifi at school during peak hours is atrocious for any form of online gaming. As for the art style, well I can't really put my finger on anything specific but for example, protoss architecture - it just looks incredibly reminiscent of Shattrath city from WoW. Zealots also look really bulky, like pretty much any male unit wearing heavy armor in WoW. That's just the vibe I got from it anyway.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Shane said:
The wifi at school during peak hours is atrocious for any form of online gaming. As for the art style, well I can't really put my finger on anything specific but for example, protoss architecture - it just looks incredibly reminiscent of Shattrath city from WoW. Zealots also look really bulky, like pretty much any male unit wearing heavy armor in WoW. That's just the vibe I got from it anyway.
How do you know that WoW didn't model Shattrahh after the Protoss first?! :???:

Just messing with ya... I hear that the roach rushing is the current flavor the of the month since they can get an upgrade ability that lets them move while burrowed? So the definte OMZG ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE is still in effect. I like how Blizzard is consistant. :ubik:

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
Got my beta key today :ubik:

:puck: This is upsetting me!!! Why haven't I got a beta key!!!! Most of my life is w/ blizzard!! SC/SC:BW, Diablo, WC3, WoW! and they don't give me one = [

oh well, wanted to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft

http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft

I've been watching these lately, both guys work together and do dual audio videos too. But it's high quality SC2 videos with audio commentary. If husky gets too annoying then just watch HD, they both do a fantastic job of commentary.

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5521097/gamestop-has-your-starcraft-ii-beta-invite

OMG, i'm signing up right now.

Btw. I'm late on this but I had no clue they were splitting up Starcraft 2 into 3 different games. Where you have the main game and then a Zerg, Terran, Protoss expansions that are pretty much standalone games for their campaign. But for each of the expansions there will be a few new units for multiplayer. So since they are standalone I can assume they might be $50 each? So i'll have to pay over $200 for the latest units??? Walter and Aaz mentioned this trilogy earlier, I just didn't see it until now and kinda shocked. So hopefully, like they said, it'll be cheaper expansions so in the end we don't have to pay a ton of money for online gaming as I've never really played the campaign, just the multiplayer - and a lot of multiplayer too!

Turkitage said:
I can assume they might be $50 each? So i'll have to pay over $200 for the latest units???

There will be the main game which will include a large terran campaign and multiplayer. Then they will release 1 expansion with a large zerg campaign and a couple of new units for multiplayer. Finally, they will release an expansion with a large protoss campaign and another couple of new multiplayer units.

Main game + 2 expansions. If they were to charge $50 for each that would come to $150.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Don't buy it. :carcus:
If that's your version of a boycott, goooood luck with that. You may as well vote for the Green Party as a voice of opposition to the two-party government :ganishka:

And yeah, I was a little appalled by the $60 pricetag for SC2. $60 for a fucking PC game is ridiculous. $50 is the standard, and asking for $10 more just makes you a more expensive whore.

But as someone before me has said, it's fucking StarCraft 2 we should be grateful that Blizzard isn't charging $80.

turkitage

ターク
Well, I hope I can just buy the new units separately or something when all the expansions come out since I don't play the campaigns. I guess if it doesn't.. I'll still more then likely buy them sadly, or maybe feel more inclined to actually play the campaigns. I just AT or solo w/ my friends online.

Thanks Walter for showing me that link. I went to gamestop and pre-ordered and played the beta w/ my friend for about 7 games. Man, was it awesome. If anyone wants to play let me know! I'm turkitage.turkitage on there (name and identifier or whatever it's called).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
Thanks Walter for showing me that link. I went to gamestop and pre-ordered and played the beta w/ my friend for about 7 games. Man, was it awesome. If anyone wants to play let me know! I'm turkitage.turkitage on there (name and identifier or whatever it's called).
No problem! I'll add ya. I'm walterbennet.sknet

Same here, I per-ordered at GameStop a few days ago and have been playing with a couple of friends. I'm really enjoying the game so far even more than Dawn of War 2 even though Starcraft 2 isn't very innovative it has it where it counts.

My name on Battle.net is Mithril.wing if anyone would like to play.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I pre-ordered the game on Amazon the other day and my Beta key arrived in the mail this morning. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've kinda been remiss in playing the beta recently. I got my ass handed to me in my first match online -- no surprise. But it made me remember how frustrating playing an RTS online can be. There are so many ways to fail, and never a sure way to win.

Prepared for a big air assault? Well, your investment made you weak to a ground assault. Prepared for a big ground assault? Sorry, it's air! Want to build units that are able to do both ground AND air? They're too weak to use in bulk against specialized ground or air units. And on, and on... Want to scout out your enemy early so you can keep tabs on his investments? Well, there's a big rock in your way meant to keep people from scouting. Once you build your army you can decimate it, but by then it could be too late! :mozgus:

I acknowledge that I'm still a noob, and will get better over time, but it's a very frustrating game when played against another human.

Walter said:
Prepared for a big air assault? Well, your investment made you weak to a ground assault. Prepared for a big ground assault? Sorry, it's air! And on, and on... Want to scout out your enemy early so you can keep tabs on his investments? Well, there's a big rock in your way meant to keep people from scouting. Once you build your army you can decimate it, but by then it could be too late! :mozgus:

:ganishka:

I thought that was just me! I played Starcraft for years as a kid, and that's pretty much the story of my RTS life.

Zerging used to drive me nuts. If I tried to build up the tech tree to get an army full of the most powerful units, I'd get zerged early and end up defeated. If I tried to turn the table and zerg rush early, the enemy would always wipe out my units with some impenetrable defense that, for some reason, I was unable to recreate.

If I tried to hole myself up with a massive defense, the enemy would easily overrun me like my defense wasn't even there. If they tried to hole themselves up, none of my units could get within spitting distance of their bases without getting destroyed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think playing RTS successfully online just takes a certain developed skill, and I simply don't have it, or haven't developed it yet. I'd like to hone it by playing online, but honestly coming home from a long day of work, I really don't want to get my ass handed to me over and over again in an effort to improve. I'd rather just kill hordes of zombies in L4D2 :guts:

The single player campaign for SC2 is really what made me want to preorder the game. Playing online is just a nice option, to me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
The single player campaign for SC2 is really what made me want to preorder the game. Playing online is just a nice option, to me.

Ditto. I hate playing RTS games online because I, too, lack that special skill. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Ditto. I hate playing RTS games online because I, too, lack that special skill. :void:
In that case we should play against each other, to see who the true, champion loser is! :daiba:

X

Xem

I actually used to play Brood War pretty pro. As in, I played many pro-gamers and actually won a few times. If there's any tips that I can't stress enough it's scouting, harassment, and farming. Assuming you know the basics of course.. (choke points, tech tree strategies, etc)

Scouting: Literally send the first worker unit you make to scout. You need to be able to find their base before they decide on a strategy. This way if there's a zerg you'll be ready. I've heard about a zerg in SC2 that involves only worker units so that could be trouble, but I can address that in farming.

Harassment: Annoy your opponent as much as possible. Position units so that you can always distract them in some way. Keeping a good hot group (units hot-keyed) near their base at all times. If you get attacked, send them in. Keeping your opponent not looking where he wants to wins games constantly... 'specially against "noobs". =) A lot of the time more novice players won't even realize they're being slowly destroyed because they don't change their focus from their attack. These positioned units also act as scouting units as well. 2 for 1!

Farming: Never, and I mean never, stop making worker units to farm minerals and gas. You can never have too many. I haven't played SC2 yet, but in SC1 there was an SCV rush that would even occasionally win professional games, since SCV's could repair each other and did pretty heavy damage... particularly compared to drones. But if you know how to micromanage and never stop making worker units you should always be able to stop most rushes like that.

I've never played a game with professionals that didn't have combat within 10 minutes. If you're not poking at your opponent constantly you should set yourself ready for a loss, from my experience. Something combat wise should always be going on.

Hope that helps. =P

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the concept of "poking" however I'm not experienced enough to know when you have a large enough force to do anything worthwhile. What do you send? 2 marines? 8? If you send too many blindly into battle, youve just wasted those funds.

Top Bottom