Status of Berserk's Pre-publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Am I overreacting or could there be a real chance of the story never getting finished?
I still don't really consider this to be likely, because when Miura is asked about his commitment to the series in interviews, it never feels like he's wavering. I don't think there's any difference now than any other time we weren't getting a Berserk episode. If it's not evident, a few of us are perhaps more bummed because we hoped Miura would maintain the 3-month delay he adhered to between April 2020-Jan 2021. But it was only ever conjecture, as it always is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, one month more or less changes nothing anyway. What matters is the number of episodes released per year on average. It would be better to have a gap of two years without anything and then 8 episodes per year each year than to have one episode every three months without discontinuing for five years. I'm exaggerating for the sake of the point I'm making, but I believe that's also how Miura is thinking about it. That's why he set about to overhaul the way he works. In any case, while it's painful for us readers, the only thing we can do is wait patiently.

I don't know what's going on with the assistants but I think it's been clear for many months now that things didn't go according to the plan. That aside, Miura's comment for episode 363 was that he was exhausted...
Damn. Do you have any ideas what might have happened?

Personally, I thought the art in Duranki was great -- if that's all the work of Miura's assistants rather than the master himself, then I'm floored by their talent and ability to emulate Miura's style. With that said, I would not be surprised if Miura is an unrelenting perfectionist, for whom nothing ever seems good enough...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Might sound a bit controversial, but I would rather never get an ending than get a bad one.

I'm really not at all worried about that. Miura is an exceptional storyteller and I don't think he'd ever compromise on telling his story the way he wants.

Damn. Do you have any ideas what might have happened?

Nope. I guess he worked a lot? Maybe it was a comment about how much work episode 363 required (it is chock full of details in every panel), maybe it was about something else.

Personally, I thought the art in Duranki was great -- if that's all the work of Miura's assistants rather than the master himself, then I'm floored by their talent and ability to emulate Miura's style. With that said, I would not be surprised if Miura is an unrelenting perfectionist, for whom nothing ever seems good enough...

He is definitely a perfectionist and drawing manga is his life. As for Duranki, as far as we know he was fairly involved in making it thus far. That includes drawing the storyboards and touching things up at the end to harmonize the styles.

I made my peace with this possibility years ago.

Even tho it's possible and I am already greatful for what we got so far, still would be interesting to know Miura's intended ending. They were telling story about going to the elfs for so long now it's hard to not to be invested in at least what it will lead to.

Nope. I guess he worked a lot? Maybe it was a comment about how much work episode 363 required (it is chock full of details in every panel), maybe it was about something else.
This is probably baseless conjecture with a dash of cope, but perhaps he has been working on setting up the next few episodes, the Guts v. Griffith fight , for a smooth and consistent release schedule? I mean these next episodes may be some of the best episodes in the series, and to have them release smoothly and without issue would be a dream come true.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably baseless conjecture with a dash of cope, but perhaps he has been working on setting up the next few episodes, the Guts v. Griffith fight , for a smooth and consistent release schedule? I mean these next episodes may be some of the best episodes in the series, and to have them release smoothly and without issue would be a dream come true.

I think you should keep an open mind regarding how the story will develop because nothing's guaranteed. And yeah, the next five episodes will be very important for the series, but so have been the last five and so will be many others in the future. That aside, from what we know of him, Miura is pretty much always working in some form or another. So you're right in that sense, but it doesn't mean he's been stockpiling episodes himself.

When it comes to the serialization, it's the Young Animal editors who call the shots, so hypothetically it'd be their decision to accumulate a bunch of issues. I honestly have no idea whether they'd do that or not, but I guess it's possible. They might want to time it so that the volume comes out at the same time as the exhibition for example. That's really just speculation though, and I wouldn't hold my breath... I think if they had three episodes available they'd just publish them.

Like i said last time. I hope this hiatus leads to a batch of episodes, rather than one release only. In that case i don't mind a pro-longed break compared to one release every 3 months.

No episode on May, 28 in the Young Animal #11.
Thank you for the early notice!

I’m actually surprised at how early that was found out.

I could be wrong. But don’t we normally find out if Berserk will be in the second issue in the first issue of that month?

Basically, I’m just curious how we know about the last May issue when it’s still April?

Thank you for the early notice!

I’m actually surprised at how early that was found out.

I could be wrong. But don’t we normally find out if Berserk will be in the second issue in the first issue of that month?

Basically, I’m just curious how we know about the last May issue when it’s still April?
It's due to Golden Week pretty much. There won't be a mid-month issue in May.

The super long hiatus stretches is just apart of the deal. Hell the comic Saga hasn’t published since mid 2018, leaving us hanging as well. Good things take lots of work and time. Berserk is a life long companion, we’re all growing and changing together.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
The super long hiatus stretches is just apart of the deal. Hell the comic Saga hasn’t published since mid 2018, leaving us hanging as well. Good things take lots of work and time. Berserk is a life long companion, we’re all growing and changing together.
You make a good point. It makes me think that it's a good thing that Berserk accompanies me while I grow. It wouldn't have been the same if I would have read it all in one year. Of course one can come back to read the whole thing again, but it's not the same. At least it's a good thing for me in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom