Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaze1618 said:
Alright everyone 23 is out and about! The Posters look so much better in real life then I could have ever imagined.

Thanks bro. I had completely forgotten about the DH releases. Just ordered it and can't wait to get it. :)

A

avidwriter

So I assume once we catch up with Japan in about 3 years or so we'll have to wait almost a year at a time for new volumes? It takes about what 6 months for a volume in Japan? More based on how many breaks are involved... Needless to say I'm torn about catching up.

i feel you there. But i really want to catch up. I refuse to read scans or translations. I am content waiting for the US releases, however long it takes. This isn't too bad. At least they keep up with releases every 2-3 months. I follow Trigun Maximum also, sometimes they take 6+ months to release the next edition, though the series has been done in japan for quite some time. :(

Once we catch up to Japan in the Berserk series, yeah waiting will be tough, but at least we will be current. I have trouble reading things here, because i haven't read scans, so people talk about stuff i have no idea about, because i haven't seen it in US release yet. So i find out about an awful lot of stuff i didn't want to know, but am even more anxious now to actually read in English.

Yeah it sucks. Very tough. I have to reread the previous two manga when i get the new one so i can remember all that happened before it. Much easier when i first got into it and could buy books 1-14 at once and read them all in a weeks time. So much easier to remember what's going on. The wait a few months then new book finally comes out thing puts it all out of my memory. :(

Well at least you can be thankful that you got into it right after Dark horse upped their production schedule to a new release every 2 months instead of every 3 months. Book 20 would just now be coming out at the end of July instead of book 24

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Just got done reading my volume 24. :schierke:

I gotta admit something. Well, like tons and tons of people in America, my first exposure to Berserk was the anime. Nearly needless to say, all my friends who knew the series told me the manga was "way better" the anime. I gave 'em all a good "PFF!"

Blah, blah, blah, boy was I wrong. When I was in college, a guy who lived in the dorm room next to mine had all sorts of Berserk stuff all over his room. Posters, action figures, etc.

Here it comes. My first question to him was, "WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE ECLIPSE?!?!?" I mean, I read the answer to that question on various F.A.Q.s on the 'net, but I wanted it explained to me. Instead, he said, "come back in 10 minutes." 10 minutes later, he handed me a CD packed with the manga he downloaded. "Okay, this works!" I thought. AAAAAND, like a silly goose, refusing his advice to start from the beginning, I started reading from volume 13.

I was like, "Oh my Lord. Poor, poor Guts." "Who's this skeleton guy?" "Holy fuck, Casca's gone nanners!" Then around the middle of volume 14 I stopped. All I could think was, "Yeah, they need to animate more. It's not the same."

My friend asked me what I thought, I told him, he called me an idiot. He asked me, "DUDE DO YOU KNOW WHY GUTS HATES BEING TOUCHED?!" To which I replied, "I dunno, 'cause he's badass?" He rolled his eyes and nearly yelled, "HE WAS RAPED AS A KID. BY A BIG, BLACK MAN." Oops. I'm a dummy.

The thing is, I didn't (and don't) really like reading comics on my computer. I like holding 'em in my hand during a nice, long restroom session.

So I bought the Dark Horse releases. I believe they were up to volume 6 by the time I decided to stop being an asshole.

It's been great reading the books. I was out of the loop when it came to how the books were handled (translation-wise or other-wise). I've been buying every book the day they came out. A few weeks ago, I read this thread. Along the way, I had zero complaints, but looking back I can see why people are upset about certain stuff Dark Horse has done.

As for me, I'm definitely glad I started from the beginning and worked my way up. Though... I saw all the PS2 game footage before I started reading the manga... And even when I started reading the manga in books I read chapters online as they came out... So I knew about characters and situations BEFORE I absorbed them through the books.

Why did I say all that shit...?

Volume 24 was fantastic. It's actually refreshing to see a book with not as much action as usual. The Guts Crew is starting to really flesh out and "make more sense" to me. Plus I got to meet Schierke. Dark Horse, in my humble opinion, does a great job making the dialogue flow naturally. And the sound effects are "represented" well. And as of recent, those little color picture dealies have been a wonderful addition. Glad to see 'em in the American release.

I guess I felt like typing.

Well after reading book 24 a lot has been answered but one thing to me makes no sense. The explanation of the existence of things merging by believing in them makes sense. But the explanation of not believing in them to make them go away because of subconscious is kinda dumb.

My reasoning is this: Lets say over time a village believed in god but suddenly they stopped. And lets just say they had no outside influence or contact so the latter generations grow without knowing that god existed at all. So my point at least how i see it is this, if the later generation know nothing of it at all what subconsciousness would there be for it to exists?.

But what I would like to know is am I way way way off? or do I have some kinda point? I'm just looking for com clarification from people who may understand it better then I. Thank you in advance.

IT's difficult without reading the DH translation to know what part your speaking of and if your interpreting it correctly or not (i'm no expert either way) but one thing that might help is reading the lost episode from book 13. If you didn't know, it was originally released in the bi weekly magazine that berserk is published and would have been included in volume 13 when it was time to be published but the author had it removed reportedly because it revealed too much of the plot too soon.

Now so many years later it's impossible for me to know if the material in it will still be treated as canon later in the series since it Miura may decide to go on a slightly or completely different direction with the plot, but it sound like alot of what of what your talking about could have roots in that lost episode.

It and it's translation are linked on this site somewhere. Maybe someone can help you find the images and the translation together? I'm at work and have to go be productive now.

Bye

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Well after reading book 24 a lot has been answered but one thing to me makes no sense. The explanation of the existence of things merging by believing in them makes sense. But the explanation of not believing in them to make them go away because of subconscious is kinda dumb.

I'd say that you're not making much sense here actually. Where did you read that? Because right there in the manga, not believing in supernatural things didn't prevent them from harassing Farnese (volume 17). I think you're probably mistaken about something. That merging part also seems confusing.

Breed1Ghost said:
My reasoning is this: Lets say over time a village believed in god but suddenly they stopped. And lets just say they had no outside influence or contact so the latter generations grow without knowing that god existed at all. So my point at least how i see it is this, if the later generation know nothing of it at all what subconsciousness would there be for it to exists?

That's not really how things work. For the Idea of Evil for example (God), it was created by mankind's collective consciousness, but it's unlikely that at any point, anyone thought they were creating a God. No, it grew itself from a sea of dark feelings that's linked to the "evil" that exists within everyone. It's not a matter of believing or not, which is a conscious act, as opposed to the unconscious processes at work here.

Jaze1618 said:
It and it's translation are linked on this site somewhere. Maybe someone can help you find the images and the translation together? I'm at work and have to go be productive now.

http://www.skullknight.net/idea/

Aazealh said:
I'd say that you're not making much sense here actually. Where did you read that? Because right there in the manga, not believing in supernatural things didn't prevent them from harassing Farnese (volume 17). I think you're probably mistaken about something. That merging part also seems confusing.

That's not really how things work. For the Idea of Evil for example (God), it was created by mankind's collective consciousness, but it's unlikely that at any point, anyone thought they were creating a God. No, it grew itself from a sea of dark feelings that's linked to the "evil" that exists within everyone. It's not a matter of believing or not, which is a conscious act, as opposed to the unconscious processes at work here.

http://www.skullknight.net/idea/

My confusion started when Flora started to explain and Isirdo was asking about if you stop believing will they dissapper. But now I have a better idea, My reasoning was blinded and forgout about feelings and the collection of dark thoughts.

I was also thinking about what they did in Freddy vs Jason how they controlled what people who knew and feared Freddy by making them forget but as soon as that fear came back so did Freddy. I think thats what i mostly based my reasoning off of whitout really thinking about it.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have a question : in volume 24 when flora is giving her explanation of the brand she says : "the cursed power of that brand defies imagination. erasing it is beyond my power."

does that mean that someone in the berserk world would be powerful enough to erase it at some point? i don't really think so but that part got me wondering if it could be possible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
does that mean that someone in the berserk world would be powerful enough to erase it at some point? i don't really think so but that part got me wondering if it could be possible.
I sincerely doubt it. It's not just the brand itself, but the branded's entire existence is changed because of their being sacrificed.

Walter said:
I sincerely doubt it. It's not just the brand itself, but the branded's entire existence is changed because of their being sacrificed.

After replying to Jackson that gave me a thought. Do you think that Guts and casca still being alive and stay alive long enough can change the existence of the brand for being sacrifices that did not die?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Do you think that Guts and casca still being alive and stay alive long enough can change the existence of the brand for being sacrifices that did not die?
Probably not, but could you be more specific?

Walter said:
Probably not, but could you be more specific?

Hmm I might not be able to get my point off but I'll try. Like how the brand changed their lives to be nothing more then sacrifices to die for someone Else's dream, I guess what I'm saying since they did not die in that instance would the influence of the brand in some way change? I don't mean the meaning of the brand but the influence like attracting evil and the pain it would cause to someone near a god hand/apostle

Them being alive is going against the idea so over time can the idea of it change? or since its always been known for sacrifice it can not be changed?.

Sorry if this doesn't make seance.

A

avidwriter

Breed1Ghost said:
Hmm I might not be able to get my point off but I'll try. Like how the brand changed their lives to be nothing more then sacrifices to die for someone Else's dream, I guess what I'm saying since they did not die in that instance would the influence of the brand in some way change? I don't mean the meaning of the brand but the influence like attracting evil and the pain it would cause to someone near a god hand/apostle

Them being alive is going against the idea so over time can the idea of it change? or since its always been known for sacrifice it can not be changed?.

Sorry if this doesn't make seance.

So your trying to say they are destined to die because of the brand however you wonder if they will live till the end and outlive the brand? I can't say for Casca but I Guts can't die till the end. I don't think the brand will ever be anything more then a mark that's been doing what its been doing. (Being vague for spoiler reasons).

Anyway, I got 24 yesterday, DD for some reason didn't have 24 up for order so I had to get it elsewhere. I'm excited that we are getting closer to Japan's releases.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I guess what I'm saying since they did not die in that instance would the influence of the brand in some way change? I don't mean the meaning of the brand but the influence like attracting evil and the pain it would cause to someone near a god hand/apostle

Well as far as we know, no. So far the Brand's influence on Guts hasn't changed. For people that die instantly after being branded, clearly there isn't even enough time for the brand's influence to kick in. So it only affects people that live after receiving the Brand. Which basically means that your question makes little sense.

Breed1Ghost said:
Them being alive is going against the idea

Is it? I don't really think so. It's the Brand that seals the sacrifice, living or dying after that apparently doesn't matter much.

Legato said:
Yeah it sucks. Very tough. I have to reread the previous two manga when i get the new one so i can remember all that happened before it. Much easier when i first got into it and could buy books 1-14 at once and read them all in a weeks time. So much easier to remember what's going on. The wait a few months then new book finally comes out thing puts it all out of my memory. :(

i have to count myself lucky cause you let me borrow the first few to see if i even liked it then i started demanding them... i remember when i finished 18 and i didnt have the next box full i was passing the floors waiting for the next box to be sent... now i have up to 23 and i think im gonna just brake down and buy 24 for myself so i can be up to date... its hard knowing im like one behind... whats gonna suck is having read everything up until now in about 2 months... and now having to wait like the rest of you... its gonna kill me... but im like you... i dont want to read the scans... id rather just wait for the dark horse release... ill bide my time reading claymore and all your priest you let me borrow...

pkj

X

Xem

Picked up volume 24 today. I have to say reading them in graphic novel format really adds something to the comic. I'm very pleased I decided to buy all the books, if for no other reason to further support Mr. Miura. :miura:

I can't wait until they get caught up with the Japanese releases, I might decide to stop downloading the scans at that point. Sure, the wait will be torturous, but at least I can read a whole volume at once, instead of ~10 pages at a time.

edit: Does anyone think it's a possibility that Dark Horse might try to pick up the rights to release the episodes in regular comic book format? I'm assuming it's never been done before so I imagine the answer is no. Though it would be sweet, I'd frame my favorite episodes without a second thought.

A

avidwriter

Deci said:
Picked up volume 24 today. I have to say reading them in graphic novel format really adds something to the comic. I'm very pleased I decided to buy all the books, if for no other reason to further support Mr. Miura. :miura:

I can't wait until they get caught up with the Japanese releases, I might decide to stop downloading the scans at that point. Sure, the wait will be torturous, but at least I can read a whole volume at once, instead of ~10 pages at a time.

edit: Does anyone think it's a possibility that Dark Horse might try to pick up the rights to release the episodes in regular comic book format? I'm assuming it's never been done before so I imagine the answer is no. Though it would be sweet, I'd frame my favorite episodes without a second thought.

Two things. I dont think Miura gets anything from US sales but I might be wrong. Also Dark Horse wouldn't make much profit printing them as comic books, they are mostly too short and with gaps of three or more months it wouldn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom