Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Well now I finally see where that wierd little big nosed creature shows up. I don't recall the name right now. I guess we never see from it again?
Don't be so sure! http://www.skullknight.net/schnozdance/
 
A

avidwriter

Guest
Walter said:
Don't be so sure! http://www.skullknight.net/schnozdance/
:ganishka: Nice. I wondered for a small creature that looks pretty innocent it's odd that he'd be in a evil hang out. (I just got up so I can't remember the name Qliphoth?) Wasn't there a clay or something model that was being sold at one point?
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
avidwriter said:
(I just got up so I can't remember the name Qliphoth?)
Fixed it.

avidwriter said:
Wasn't there a clay or something model that was being sold at one point?
As a bonus with the limited edition of the "Knight of Skeleton Horse Riding Figure 2".
 
Aazealh said:
In the manga, Schierke calls his ilk "chimimôryô" (魑魅魍魎), defined as "evil spirits of rivers and mountains" in the dictionary. But here at SK.net we affectionately call him "Schnoz". :guts:
For those interested, Dark Horse translates it as "spirit creature."
 
Was I the only one who had trouble looking at the inside poster of volume 24? Apparently they had too much glue in mine, but I managed not to mess it up too much, just a nick in the middle.

Did anyone else thing the creatures in the dark side of the astral plane almost looked like mini-apostles?
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well tomorrow is the big day for the US release. Volume 26 will be out on the 26th and unfortunately I can't pick it up until next week. I'm hyped about that volume in particular precisely cause
there will be more troll action in it and a guest appearance by Slan
(if the back cover "resume" is right on the Dark Horse site) I'm excited to see her and what will happen in there. (I kinda know anyway but no spoiling until the volume is out he he he).
 
X

Xem

Guest
Man I wish money wasn't so tight! Anyway getting it very soon. At the latest it will be Christmas, I gotta try to read my girl on whether or not she plans on getting it for me as a present. :casca:
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
well I just read volume 27 today I have to say it was a great volume. Its nice to learn a bit more about the
kushans and what the emperor has in store for the future looks interesting with all his beasts that were introduced in that volume. And poor Guts, he got wounded so much. I noticed they started to do a page with characters descriptions at the beginning, there is one for Guts, Casca, Serpico, Isidro, Farnese, Puck, Schierke, Zodd and Griffith. Anyways overall I really enjoyed that volume and can't wait to see what will happen in volume 28.
 
I felt that a few of grunbeld's translations in the beginning were a little week.. but overall a great book. I really like the section with Midland so much better except the last few pages involving the princess and the bed, again a translation choice issue.

No examples at the moment. Still a great book. Woohoo!!
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well to be honest I dont really mind if the translation isn't that much accurate. I'm just glad I can read it on my couch in english. And if I have doubt I can come later to check it here. :carcus:
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Well to be honest I dont really mind if the translation isn't that much accurate. I'm just glad I can read it on my couch in english. And if I have doubt I can come later to check it here. :carcus:
Yeah but that's the problem, you see. You shouldn't have to check it here.
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have just finished volume 28 from dark horse yesterday and a tiny question came up to me. When Guts give in to the armor on the beach when he is fighting the makara. It seems painfull when he gives in. Is it because he's already badly hurt or is it really painfull to give in to the armor? (page 14 of the episode sea beast (makara))

by the way I really like that volume. Learning about new monsters and really nice character development.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
When Guts give in to the armor on the beach when he is fighting the makara. It seems painfull when he gives in. Is it because he's already badly hurt or is it really painfull to give in to the armor? (page 14 of the episode sea beast (makara))

by the way I really like that volume. Learning about new monsters and really nice character development.
Well, I think it's a two-fold "pain" in this instance. Guts' grimace is probably because he just bashed his head against a rock. But also adding insult to injury, just a few episodes previously, he had promised Skull Knight and Schierke that he wouldn't give completely in to the armor again -- but seeing his group in danger like that gave him few options in his mind and he ended up giving in regretfully.

Hahaha, I love the scene when he finishes the Makara, then turns on the crocs, who are running away from him in fear.
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Well, I think it's a two-fold "pain" in this instance. Guts' grimace is probably because he just bashed his head against a rock. But also adding insult to injury, just a few episodes previously, he had promised Skull Knight and Schierke that he wouldn't give completely in to the armor again -- but seeing his group in danger like that gave him few options in his mind and he ended up giving in regretfully.

Hahaha, I love the scene when he finishes the Makara, then turns on the crocs, who are running away from him in fear.
Yeah great scene indeed.

And yeah thats what I thought but I wasn't sure.

So it's really more a:" ah crap here we go again" face then. :guts:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My vol 28 will ship before the end of the week, but the anticipation is killing me... Can someone give me a listing of the episodes as shown in the beginning of the volume? I'm dying to see how they translated ep 243, and if they kept in the "Jananin" part.
 
PROCLAIMED OMENS
THE BOY IN THE MOONLIGHT
FAMILIARS
SUPERNATURAL FOG
SEA BEAST (MAKARA)
THE ROAR OF THE SEA
SUPERHUMAN (JNANIN) //exact spelling
NAVY YARD
CITY OF HUMANS
THE KITE AND THE OWL OF THE WHARF
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Praytell, what is the meaning/significane of this word?
Well, that is the question, isn't it? :void: We don't know. It's just been this enigmatic name/thing we've wondered about since 243 came out more than 4 years ago. Alternate spellings we've used in the past are Jan Anin, Janannin, Jananin, etc. etc. But I've never managed to find anything via Google that remotely resembles the being its referring to in Berserk.

It could be some kind of Miura-created concept, based on the terminology of an obscure religion (I've even found instances of variations of the word in African tribes).
 
A quick goold search for jnanin returned plenty of results for j'nanin

In MYST III: EXILE

J'nanin was the lesson Age created by Atrus to begin teaching his sons about the importance of balance in the Art of Writing. It served as the hub for the rest of the Ages seen in Myst III: Exile: Amateria, Edanna, Voltaic, and Narayan.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
A quick goold search for jnanin returned plenty of results for j'nanin

In MYST III: EXILE

J'nanin was the lesson Age created by Atrus to begin teaching his sons about the importance of balance in the Art of Writing. It served as the hub for the rest of the Ages seen in Myst III: Exile: Amateria, Edanna, Voltaic, and Narayan.
Yeah well, like I said, there's no shortage of results when doing a search -- but tying it to some kind of meaning for its use in Berserk is the tricky part.
 
My volume was delayed because it sold out in amazon's website. Can you believe that? It must be popular ... So, Im still reading the series as its published here in the states but im followed up with newer episodes.

I know there are others here that havent followed up with the new stuff but I have a question for those:

What do you think of the new development of Guts wearing the Berserker Armor? Do you think it is something he'll wear for the rest of the series given what we know as of volume 28? It seems a dangerous artifact and I wonder how long he'll be tied to it.

Anyway what are the new readers' thoughts?
 

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I figure Guts will part with the Berserker Armor at some point, but will remain wearing it for a good portion of the rest of the series. The series IS called "Berserk," after all. The first time I was introduced to the armor, I thought, "HOLY SHIT, NOW IT'S GONNA GET GOOD!" Growwwlllll...

Anyway, Volume 28's great stuff. I love the Moonlight Child part... Or... Child in the Moonlight or whatever DH calls it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom