Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
Funkmasta Zeph said:
Print quality for every copy of Volume 4 Iv'e seen is apsurdly light.
Griffith's hair becomes invisible, and you can't te;; that Casca's black.
Yeah, that's true I just checked. It is not in all panels where you can't tell that Casca's black or Griffiths hair is invicible. Griffiths hair is really gone in the Golden age (4) end (full page image) but i always thought that is was just some effect or something to make Griffith look "shiny". Other problems i havent even noticed and I've read all volumes several times... Maybe I was just so concentrated to the story so i didn't notice such things... I still think they have done great job with English releases and i'm definately still buying them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Spirit of Ukko said:
Griffiths hair is really gone in the Golden age (4) end (full page image) but i always thought that is was just some effect or something to make Griffith look "shiny".

That's what the original looks like if you want to compare:

GriffithHair.jpg

There is definitely an effect Miura intended here with the top of his hair being plain white.

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
Ok so it is as i supposed it'd be. There are still a little bit more light colours in English release, but not much and it is definitely not distracting or anything... Only sligtly disturbing problem in English release in my opinion is that some speech bubbles are partially left out of pages so sometimes you can't see the final letters of some words. But this happens very rarely and you can alvays understand what is being said.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Yeah, I too was veeery skeptical of DH's work. But I eventually broke down and bought 8-10 and was really impressed. I've been buying them backwards since then. ;D
Bah, I was walking around Borders yesterday... I caved in and bought Volume 10 :puck:

I read the back cover and I was sold. I'm glad I did purchase it! Excellent edition. I liked the way the story of Tower of Rebirth was told. The way they handled the 4/5 angels thing impressed me... because I never really knew how many there were. That's what I get for reading the old scanslations, I suppose :serpico: To the best of my memory, it was never confirmed how many "Angels" punished Gaiseric. We only assume the Legend was altered in it's reciting somewhere along the line, correct?

Anyway, after the excitement of the next episode, I'll have DH Volume 12 to look forward to :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
To the best of my memory, it was never confirmed how many "Angels" punished Gaiseric. We only assume the Legend was altered in it's reciting somewhere along the line, correct?

Nope, we never heard again about what happened 1000 years ago. We still depend on volume 10. And of course we have no way to know how accurate the story Charlotte told at the time is. The details could really make all the difference.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Believe it or not, a local library here has Berserk through volume 9. I checked them all out. I was a pretty outspoken critic of some of the printing, etc. on the first 3 volumes I bought, but I was impressed. Like some others said, they have definitely improved.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Anybody grab volume 12 today? My local comic store delays new releases by a day when there is a holiday so they should have it. The store opens within the next hour so I will edit my post if I get my claws on it.

Edit: (of disappointment)
No dice! I think this is the first volume ever that I didn't snag a week early! Maybe it was because of the holiday?
Oh well, looks like I'll have to get the volume the same time as everyone else! :zodd:
Sorry for bothering everyone!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Anybody grab volume 12 today? My local comic store delays new releases by a day when there is a holiday so they should have it. The store opens within the next hour so I will edit my post if I get my claws on it.
I thought it wasnt supposed to come out till the 12th? That's what DH's website says anyway. Regardless, I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm out and about today.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hmm, well I pre ordered it, dunno when it'll come in. I hope in time for my birthday (the 10th), that'd make a great gift :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SuicideCommand0 said:
eh looks like they started translating the sound effects. It looks pretty awkward IMO

Click for image
Not necessarily. That preview page has been up for a while (several months), and it's likely just an early shot of translation progress. I'll be getting my vol 12 in a few days (as soon as Amazon ships it), so I'll confirm/deny for ya. But, I don't think it's a final version.

For the record though, I also don't like translated sound effects.

TheSkyTraveller

Wha? I wasn't aware they were going to start translating the sound effects. Yeah, that looks like poop. Hope it really isn't the final version. I do think you miss something if you can't read sound effects, but it's not worth editing the art.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Well, I literally went to every bookstore within a twenty mile radius of my home and I did not find one copy of volume 12. This is ridiculous, I am sick of waiting and do not want to wait another week! Was anyone actually lucky enough to snag a copy today?

I hope this is a one time thing with the translated sound effects. I think we are capable of figuring out what the sound effects are on our own.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
I think we are capable of figuring out what the sound effects are on our own.

I doubt that.

As for the sound effects, they could just put the translations in between the panels or lists them all in an appendix, but yeah, on the art it sucks big time.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Yes but you don't know exactly how it's supposed to sound. I believe it has to do with Japanese being a phonetic language that you can't really translate the sound effects literally, or something like that. Of course you get the general idea, but you don't really know just what it is unless you can read it, I think. Might be wrong on all of this though, so just ignore me if need be.

Personally I don't think they should translate them, or like Aaz said atleast put them in an apendix or something. Over the art is bleh.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
I think I'm capable of figuring out what symbols are indicating wind or background noise or the clashing of swords.

The problem here buddy is being able to tell what the "background noise" is. It's cool if you can guess some sound effect refers to the wind blowing by using visual clues, but that just won't work in most cases. Especially since sound effects in Japanese have a tendency of being abstract.

TheSkyTraveller

I agree with Aaz. All you can really do with a sound effect you can't read is to take a guess. A lot of Japanese sound effects aren't really what you would expect them to be, at least compared to what people are used to with American comics, for example. The DS usually sounds like "DON!" for example, not "Whoosh!" or whatever. Anyway, I think I mentioned it once before, but the majority of manga sound effects are written in katakana, which is not that difficult to learn if you really want to read them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
To each their own then. I still say the SFX translations aren't needed.

Whether they're needed or not isn't my point, just that you can't reliably figure out the SFX by yourself. Unless you speak Japanese.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
And when its a person or animal/demon growling/screaming.....it DOES detract from the effect.

Comics are a mostly sub-conscious thing. Alot of information and basic connections are meant to be done as second nature without the reader ever having to stop and think it over. Sfx like screams aren't supposed to make you stop and figure it out, your supposed to register the scream without skipping a beat.

Probably I'll be corrected, but I guess that if the SFX is human related is written in Hiragana, otherwise is written in Katakana.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brinco said:
Probably I'll be corrected, but I guess that if the SFX is human related is written in Hiragana, otherwise is written in Katakana.

No, there's no such rule. They're usually written in Katakana, but there can be exceptions for various reasons. It's mostly up to the mangaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom