Street Fighter IV

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
Fuck this game! I can't stand it. Just playing through arcade was pissing me off. They keep using the same moves over and over again. I don't know if it's "technically" better than Soul Calibur or Tekken but those games are at least fun and have waaaayyyy more moves then this does. Maybe not combo wise but just look at the moves list. Soul Calibur had pages and pages...this game has one page and the characters do the same moves when playing the computer. I feel like I might be bitching like a kid because I'm frustrated but w/e. In this gamers eyes, it blows. I'm turning it off and putting in SC4 so me and my boys can at least have fun fighting eeach other.

Did you change the difficulty settings to see if there were changes? It's ok to bitch, but how long or have you tried playing with different characters or some versus games with friends? I think fighting games are enjoyed better when you play with a group and make some kind of a tournament or something related to that.

Bit the bullet and got the PS3 version of SF4. Night and fuckin' day!!! (Control wise)
Pulling off a simple haduken on the 360 version (for me at least) became hit or miss. And for the record, aint NO WAY I'm that bad at the genre.
On PS3, boom, I think of the move I wanna pull off....it's EXECUTED!!!!!
I can honestly say I enjoyed the PS3 version tremendously more in the 5 minutes I ran home to try it than the week I owned the 360 version.

EDIT: Finally beat the game on Medium Hard with Ryu. Jesus. :mozgus: Still the game plays SOOOO much better with a PS3 controller.

Proj2501 said:
Bit the bullet and got the PS3 version of SF4. Night and fuckin' day!!! (Control wise)
Pulling off a simple haduken on the 360 version (for me at least) became hit or miss. And for the record, aint NO WAY I'm that bad at the genre.
On PS3, boom, I think of the move I wanna pull off....it's EXECUTED!!!!!
I can honestly say I enjoyed the PS3 version tremendously more in the 5 minutes I ran home to try it than the week I owned the 360 version.

EDIT: Finally beat the game on Medium Hard with Ryu. Jesus. :mozgus: Still the game plays SOOOO much better with a PS3 controller.

Nice man. Now try hardest setting. I'm telling you right now Seth is a bitch to beat on Hardest. You don't know how pissed I got trying to beat him on that setting or how many times I tried(I think it took me over 20 tries). I was so happy when I got the trophy! you should really get a joystick man though. It makes the game so much easier.

Oburi said:
Fuck this game! I can't stand it. Just playing through arcade was pissing me off. They keep using the same moves over and over again. I don't know if it's "technically" better than Soul Calibur or Tekken but those games are at least fun and have waaaayyyy more moves then this does. Maybe not combo wise but just look at the moves list. Soul Calibur had pages and pages...this game has one page and the characters do the same moves when playing the computer. I feel like I might be bitching like a kid because I'm frustrated but w/e. In this gamers eyes, it blows. I'm turning it off and putting in SC4 so me and my boys can at least have fun fighting each other.

What do you mean using the same moves over and over again? In SC I always memorize my combo list from those pages and pages you were saying and use em over and over again varying each time because that's what you do in that game. They have a million "physical" moves that you can input in SC4 which just gets dumb and needless after awhile. One button to swipe a sword down. hit that same button and forward and it'll go a different direction. Link all these "physical" moves together the correct way like in Tekken and you achieved your goal. All they had were pages and pages of ways to do chain combos really. You just have to sit in training and fit this move with that to create a devastating combo.

SF has combos! Look at one of the many combo vids from 3S!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DU7HD3t2k

I suggest you look at Daigo on youtube and see what I'm talking about(His most awesome one I've seen was Daigo(Ken) vs. Justin(chun-li) from 3S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

Watch him fight and then tell me SF isn't technically better or worse than SC. How does a game blow just because you're not accustomed to the gameplay? You said yourself you're a SC fan. So what you're used to is just going to be more natural. I mean you shouldn't be complaining really, by your logic SF should be easier than SC because it doesn't have these pages and pages of "moves" that SC has. Just put it on the easiest setting man. Sorry but fighting games were around me since I was 10 and I have to stand up for SF

Oburi

All praise Grail
No your right Ori, I really shouldn't be complaining. But I DID give the game a shot and I know it's that I'm not accustomed to it which made me dislike the game so much. At the time when I posted that I was so agitated. I really hated the game, but I know many, many people praise it and say how much better it is than other fighting games so I guess it's just me. Personal preference...don't mind my bitching and complaining when I spend 60 bucks on a game that EVERYONE says it so cool and then me and my boys just couldn't do it.

I think I just had to get my left thumb into shape cuz I'm pullin' off some decent moves finally. Practice, practice, practice. It's tough. How do I put this? Like after playing a week straight with only Ryu I finally was like, "Ah, ok I'm feeling this now." I only used him and got used to his moves, etc, etc. The minute I tried a new character...new learning curves.

Practice makes perfect. I own SC4 as well. Something about that game I don't really dig. But again, I haven't played it that much.

Oburi said:
No your right Ori, I really shouldn't be complaining. But I DID give the game a shot and I know it's that I'm not accustomed to it which made me dislike the game so much. At the time when I posted that I was so agitated. I really hated the game, but I know many, many people praise it and say how much better it is than other fighting games so I guess it's just me. Personal preference...don't mind my bitching and complaining when I spend 60 bucks on a game that EVERYONE says it so cool and then me and my boys just couldn't do it.

I'm glad you did give it a shot, however continue to! I'm sure it'll grow on you. When I first played SC I played the 2nd one. I didn't like it, in fact I hated it. My friends were annihilating me and not giving me a chance. Eventually I bought it because it was GH at the time for 20 bucks and grew to like it. I think it's cause I fell in love with Ivy and her.....moves. :carcus: I was pissed in SC3 when they changed up her moves a bit. Anyways, I played and got better and then thought it wasn't so bad. Indeed it is personal reference. But as fighting games in general, we should appreciate them all since there aren't many great ones out there.

Proj2501 said:
I think I just had to get my left thumb into shape cuz I'm pullin' off some decent moves finally. Practice, practice, practice. It's tough. How do I put this? Like after playing a week straight with only Ryu I finally was like, "Ah, ok I'm feeling this now." I only used him and got used to his moves, etc, etc. The minute I tried a new character...new learning curves.

Practice makes perfect. I own SC4 as well. Something about that game I don't really dig. But again, I haven't played it that much.

Ya I suggest sticking with one character. My friend keeps switching it up character wise and I always kick his ass because he doesn't learn one person first. Only the pros can switch characters all the time without trouble cause they know the game so much. Myself, I went from Ken(SF2) to Akuma(SF3S) to Cammy(SSFThdremix) to now reverting back to Ken for SF4. So I spent a considerable amount of time learning Ken between SF2 till 3S came out. I couldn't stick with Akuma for SF4 because they removed a move I used a lot for him that he had in 3S. Same with Cammy I was going to start using her for SF4 but they changed the input of a move I used a lot. I may try again though.

SC4 isn't that bad if anything the game has great "visuals" if you know what I mean. :carcus: ie Ivy, Taki.

The more I play this game, the more I love it. I've just unlocked all characters except for Seth (who I couldn't care less if I get, but I'm sure I will in time.)
The Challenge mode is extremely helpful in helping you understand how each character works. (duh) Some combos though, I cannot get for the life of me. Am I hammering the buttons too fast, too slow? For instance, an Akuma combo: Jump (HK), (HP), down back kick (forgot name), zig zag forward punch. ((HAHA I'll edit later guys!!)) I know I can pull this off, but when I do it seems the 3rd step I cannot nail. I'm sure it's timing on my part. The more and more I play this game the more fun it becomes. I've taken my game online and was surprised that I was able to hold my own at first, then in a short amount of time I was kicking some ass.

Verdict: Worth the dough.

SK3LL

Vengeance!
I've played it for a couple of hours now and I like it more and more. The default controls really sucks, but after customizing them it's just fun to play :) I don't have any problems with executing the moves on the PS3-Pad, so I'm happy with this game. I really like the online mode. It's so cool to play against a friend sitting in Germany and myself in Switzerland. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While visiting in New York over the past few days, I played against our host in a 360 match of SF4. I won the first match with a fucking PERFECT. I executed my very first attempt at the dragon punch with no problems. Then continued to dominate.

The controls are fine. Some people just aren't very good at executing the moves I'd say. That being said, in the past few years I've also learned to play Street Fighter with a keyboard on MAME :daiba:

Walter said:
While visiting in New York over the past few days, I played against our host in a 360 match of SF4. I won the first match with a fucking PERFECT. I executed my very first attempt at the dragon punch with no problems. Then continued to dominate.

The controls are fine. Some people just aren't very good at executing the moves I'd say. That being said, in the past few years I've also learned to play Street Fighter with a keyboard on MAME :daiba:

Nice perfect man. Too bad you're on xbox, I'd like to challenge you! And I can't imagine SF with a keyboard. When the original came out on home versions I played on a really old computer. Firstly, the computer could hardly support the game. The game ran SLOWLY. As somehow the speed was lowered to -10 lol. Secondly, I couldn't do any moves for shit with a keyboard. I still can't! Thirdly, since the game was running real slow the animations were too but somehow I beat the game with Dhalsim on the hardest setting by only doing LK standing. I got a perfect in every round. Sigh memories......

In xbox 360 it makes a whole lot of difference whether you use the analog stick or the digital directional pad, getting any moves out on the digital directional pad is a pain but using the analog joystick it is a breeze, so maybe you are trying to use the directional pad? A guy from work came to a SF4 night i made at home he has the PS3 version and he was trying to use the digital pad and he couldn't perform any of the moves, he was pretty much frustrated so maybe the PS3 digital directional pad is better than the xbox's?

ELEKTRO said:
In xbox 360 it makes a whole lot of difference whether you use the analog stick or the digital directional pad, getting any moves out on the digital directional pad is a pain but using the analog joystick it is a breeze, so maybe you are trying to use the directional pad? A guy from work came to a SF4 night i made at home he has the PS3 version and he was trying to use the digital pad and he couldn't perform any of the moves, he was pretty much frustrated so maybe the PS3 digital directional pad is better than the xbox's?

Using the d-pad on ps3 is much more easier IMO. But I'm using a joystick anyways so that's how SF should be played. Plus for fighting games using the analog stick all the time to execute moves and jump, dash etc. really wears and tears the stick on that controller. 360 and ps3 analog sticks just aren't meant to play fighters.

Oburi said:
How do yo do the ultra moves??? It's hard. How do hit H-M-L on the 360 controler??

went back and read that....If you haven't figured it out already, if I'm using a ps3 controller I just use L1 for punchx3 and R2 for kickx3. You can set the buttons to how you want them in the button config menu. Should be the same for 360.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi: For the 360, ultra moves can be executed by hitting the left triggers, which are all three punches and all three kicks. Alternatively, you could also read the manual.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Really, I didn't have any trouble executing moves off the bat with the 360 controller and I'm no 360 player or Street Fighter expert (as evidenced by the fact Wally has beaten me with a keyboard =). I've seen it first hand, my semi-retired ass can beat down guys who play these systems all the live long day but somehow can't execute Street Fighter moves... what it boils down to is, today's gamers: soft as toilet tissue. :daiba:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Griffith said:
what it boils down to is, today's gamers: soft as toilet tissue. :daiba:

I agree, most want a strategy guide, or back in the PSone days, trying to get the gameshark codes, before even playing the game to give it a chance.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Th3Branded0ne said:
I agree, most want a strategy guide, or back in the PSone days, trying to get the gameshark codes, before even playing the game to give it a chance.

Both of which are practically built into games these days anyway, if it isn't easy enough already, there's a mandatory tutorial for every fuckin' step of the way. And yes, I am a crazy bitter old man. =)

whimper.jpg

"This is the way the game ends... not with a bang, but with a whimper."

As someone who has to use strategy guides and/or gameshark codes because I couldn't game my way out of a wet paper bag, you guys have made me realize that I am indeed the fertilizer upon which the forest of gaming history feeds. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As a kind of test of skill, you guys should try another great Capcom game: Mega Man 9. I still haven't beaten the end boss. :sad:

Beat that and beat me! Just like when I beat the CPU in Street Fighter 2: CE as a kid at the arcade. My friend: "You're better than a COMPUTER!" :isidro:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
As a kind of test of skill, you guys should try another great Capcom game: Mega Man 9. I still haven't beaten the end boss. :sad:

Beat that and beat me! Just like when I beat the CPU in Street Fighter 2: CE as a kid at the arcade. My friend: "You're better than a COMPUTER!" :isidro:

If only I had the game. I would gladly take that test of skill. :sad:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Really, I didn't have any trouble executing moves off the bat with the 360 controller and I'm no 360 player or Street Fighter expert (as evidenced by the fact Wally has beaten me with a keyboard =). I've seen it first hand, my semi-retired ass can beat down guys who play these systems all the live long day but somehow can't execute Street Fighter moves... what it boils down to is, today's gamers: soft as toilet tissue. :daiba:

Well I for one was never big on street fighter before (I dont remember playing those games a lot) but I don't consider myself a "soft gamer". It doesn't sound like you play all that many games these days Griffith and I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I never use guides. In fact the only guide I own is for Suikoden 2 which I bought five years ago because I knew it would be worth big bucks today, which it is. Just because I didn't like Street Fighter doesn't mean I suck at games. SF4 isn't some godly standered that only "true gamers" know how to play and appreciate and IMO there is nothing groundbreaking or special about this game in the first place.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
Well I for one was never big on street fighter before (I dont remember playing those games a lot) but I don't consider myself a "soft gamer". It doesn't sound like you play all that many games these days Griffith and I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I never use guides. In fact the only guide I own is for Suikoden 2 which I bought five years ago because I knew it would be worth big bucks today, which it is. Just because I didn't like Street Fighter doesn't mean I suck at games. SF4 isn't some godly standered that only "true gamers" know how to play and appreciate and IMO there is nothing groundbreaking or special about this game in the first place.

I think Griff was also referring that these games are also soft, so in a way you become soft yourself.
when you beat megaman 9 or ninja gaiden (the original) comeback please.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Th3Branded0ne said:
I think Griff was also referring that these games are also soft, so in a way you become soft yourself.
when you beat megaman 9 or ninja gaiden (the original) comeback please.

I did beat ninja gaiden one years ago. I guess I took his point sort of in the wrong way. I've edited my post to not sound so...bitchy.

Top Bottom