Studio Gaga

Apologies if this has been answered before but i couldn't find it in the boards and i haven't been on here in years...
but i was curious if it's ever been stated who Studio gaga is composed of, the Artist's names, which volumes they worked on and what they do (inking, finishes, backgrounds etc).
I've been rereading Berserk recently and i'm always floored by the artwork, as a comic artist myself i'm amazed by the finished product, even with the long gaps between episodes it's an amazing accomplishment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The members change over time of course, but they're always listed at the end of each volume.

Thanks, I stopped collecting the original tankobon in favor of the Dark Horse releases, of course they fail to mention anything about Studio Gaga or it's members, still i don't suppose there's been a feature in Young Animal that details what the members do? i know Miura works 13-15 hour days i was just curious to how much of the art is his now, (full pencils, layouts, principal characters etc.)

Thanks Az i missed that post before, judging from the time the assistants spend there it seems that Miura still does the majority of all art duties...wow he's insane and i love him for it, and also makes me feel inadequate as a comic artist.

THE BEAST said:
Thanks Az i missed that post before, judging from the time the assistants spend there it seems that Miura still does the majority of all art duties...wow he's insane and i love him for it, and also makes me feel inadequate as a comic artist.
Perhaps it would be better to leave some of the work in the hands of his assistants, because he often takes more than four months to release a new chapter.

Gaiserik said:
Perhaps it would be better to leave some of the work in the hands of his assistants, because he often takes more than four months to release a new chapter.

The reason he takes so long to release a new EPISODE (sorry to be so blunt, but it's the correct terminology), is because he cares enough for his work to make it perfect. As everyone knows, if you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself. I'm guessing he delegates tasks that he feels the studio are more than capable of. The results really show in his work. I also believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Miura works 16 hour days, so to release episodes any faster would be a mammoth task. You have to respect the man for his efforts over 20 years of working on the same series, he's a real inspiration.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gaiserik said:
Perhaps it would be better to leave some of the work in the hands of his assistants

You're assuming that the actual drawing is what takes most of the time, which is not certain at all.

Aazealh said:
You're assuming that the actual drawing is what takes most of the time, which is not certain at all.

You know, I would really love to know how much Miura works ahead. I'm sure he has a good idea as to where he wants the story to go and to end up, but how many new elements are being thought up regularly or how much he's changing his mind on as the story progresses.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
how much he's changing his mind on as the story progresses.

Not too much, I believe. But I'm pretty sure he does make adjustments as he goes. In short, the general picture is written down but the details are susceptible to evolve. Making all the details fit together perfectly without leaving any loose end untied is what makes it a ponderous process. It's also what pretty much every fantasy writer for a long lasting series has failed to achieve so far.

Walter said:
They're called episodes, and no he doesn't. I've kept track of the breaks, and in the past 10 years there have been only 4 instances where he's taken four months off of publication. That's not what I would call often.

Well I wouldn't think studio Gaga could be much help to the story, but the breaks are at least a little concerning. I counted 6 instances of four month breaks within the past six years. 5 within the past four years not to mention the other significant in length breaks. I only say concerning because of the rather large change in scope of the series.

But maybe with the large changes in the world having been set; the breaks will taper off for now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Riastrathe said:
I counted 6 instances of four month breaks within the past six years.
No.

325-326 (4 months, 4 days)
318-319 (4 months, 13 days)

312-313 (< 4 months)
301-302 (4 months, 12 days)
298-299 (4 months, 11 days)

279-280 (< 4 months)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Riastrathe said:
But maybe with the large changes in the world having been set; the breaks will taper off for now.

I believe Elfhelm and what will happen then, as well as the changes we've yet to see in the world (Falconia, the role of the God Hand, etc.), will result in quite a few more long breaks. I've always pictured it as a major turning point in the story.

Top Bottom