Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles are returning!

"Griffith No More!" said:
My question is, why couldn't they do it like before in Turtles 3!? They looked just awful (and even 2 was a step down from the original).

I wouldnt know, i only saw the first, but i havent heard good things about the second or third

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Pop culture "ninja mobility" is horseshit anyway, first of all, and second, they could still do it with CGI assistance, if not with practical effects and the right stunt people. Gimmie a break.
From what I gathered from the trailer, they were going for the super-humanly agile ninjas.  

Its not something that can be pulled off in heavy animatronic costumes.  Even ones that don't have the animate features, and thus no mechanical parts and power/control cables would be pretty heavy.  

I don't know if you're blind, but meshing CG and live action might look good when its state of the art, but it ages terribly.  The new state of the art makes the imperfections in the old stand out.  If you want the movie to look decent 6 months after its out, its best to go either all CGI or no CGI.  

Best 6' turtles I ever seen, better than any CGI so far anyway. 80's and early 90's puppets and costumes OWN CGI.
They worked pretty good then.  Perhaps they're going a direction this time that makes live action less viable.  Maybe the don't want to do a live action style movie.  To make an exaggeration, I really don't think you could do a good bugs bunny cartoon with a guy in a rabbit suit.  You either fit your story to your medium, or you pick a medium that fits your story.  

You mean that already looks dated right now? =)
If done well animation can be more timeless then live action special effects.  The old big Disney fairy tale movies are still viable today, in part because of the way they're animated.  Had "Sleeping Beauty" been done in live action with camera trick or midget dwarves and and some special effects for the mirror you probably couldn't get people to buy it today without offering a dozen other movies for $20.  

*goes and rewatches teaser trailer* Duplicating that with live action stuff is more trouble then its worth. Even done with realistic CGI, the camera just screams "this is done in CGI"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Super inhumanly agile is more like it. And that kind of "ninja" stuff is stupid looking whatever the medium, sorry.

Anyway, if you like the CGI Majin, fine. I never said it was a style that couldn't work under the right circumstances. Just don't post a bunch of BS to support it like how it's better than live action, or that live action and costumes wouldn't work blah blah blah (when it already has).

Oh, and speaking of which, apples and oranges aren't the same thing. Just thought you should know that before making any future analogies. =)

The trailer was alright but nothing great.

Too bad that the suppossed John Woo live action of TMNT didn't happen the action scenes would have been great. It's kinda ironic that his instead doing the 2nd AppleSeed CG movie with Amagi Studio which is the same studio that is doing the TMNT CG movie.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ZODDGUTSU said:
Too bad that the suppossed John Woo live action of TMNT didn't happen the action scenes would have been great.

Meh. I've lost interest in Woo's stuff recently. Too many flying doves... in slow motion... :schierke:

ZODDGUTSU said:
It's kinda ironic that his instead doing the 2nd AppleSeed CG movie with Amagi Studio which is the same studio that is doing the TMNT CG movie.

They're making another appleseed movie?! why!? the first one was terrible
It was the worst plot in the world acted out by shopping store manikins.

CnC said:
Meh.  I've lost interest in Woo's stuff recently.  Too many flying doves... in slow motion...  :schierke:

They're making another appleseed movie?! why!? the first one was terrible
It was the worst plot in the world acted out by shopping store manikins.

lol It wasn't bad though the store manikins part is somewhat true...

Stream

Inousha
Ta-daaaam!

I finally saw the trailer!

Won't even discuss the details a.k.a *repeating what many said before part*

But, I was surprised - I even liked it more than I expected ... could be real entertaining to see it.

Visual fun, and it surely will bring some old-fan memories... eh :nostalgia: :griff:

Oburi

All praise Grail
The trailer does look pretty cool. I grew up with the Turtles so it would be a little guitly pleasure of mine to go to the movies to see it with some of my guy friends. BUt thinking about it, I know I watched ninja turtles growing up, like on saturday mornings, but I'm 19 and I don't even think it's on tv anymore. So who is this movie really aiming at, I'm sure I'll have fun, but my brother whose 12 couldn't even tell you their names. ...anyone kinda see what I'm getting at.

I guess it looks "Alright" from another Kids cgi flick, but nothing that's making my childhood nostalgia wanting to play catch up.

Wasn't there a live action show attempt during the mid 90s? I might be mistaking it with something else.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sparnage said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDu1gXcgl7c&mode=related&search=

I might be siding with Griff. :(

Yeah, and I was such an asswipe about it too, but that's only because I love the turtles. :judo:

Speaking of which, Sparnage, let's bring this full circle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0

Agree totally. :guts:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
While channel surfing I caught a sneak peak of a fight scene with a giant gorilla dude, and I really wasn't all that impressed. At least I can verify that live action/costumes wouldnt have worked out, since every character on the screen is moving blazing fast with catlike reflexes. As for this movie being based off the original comics... I never read those, but I've seen one or two episodes of the newer cartoon being played nowadays, and I'd have to say the movie looks like its going to follow that mold. Which sucks, since I really dont like the new series.

As a huge turtle fan, it makes me sad. Especially since I can still watch the first cartoon series and still be entertained. I also have a ninja turtles blanket from when I was a kid that I still use, along with an assortment of other merchandise I forced my parents to buy for me.

I just saw the movie. I had very low expectations after seeing the trailer. The movie itself was great, though. The CGI was awesome, the fights were good, and there actually weren't that many stupid one-liners. It was obviously cartoonish but I'd say it was more like TMNT 1 than the other 2 movies were. I'm hoping they make another one.

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, and I was such an asswipe about it too, but that's only because I love the turtles. :judo:

Speaking of which, Sparnage, let's bring this full circle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0

Agree totally. :guts:

Haha, anyone who saw number 3 would know to be apprehensive of any future turtle movies. What I love about that rants 1 and 2 together takes up about 23% of the movie it's bagging out. ;D

Having said that I saw it with no expectations like Mage, and didn't mind it either. It was no classic work of art or anything but it was entertaining. Not as good as the first movie but definitely better than 2 and 3 IMO.

As for the comic relief, It seems like it's no more corny than the original movies comic relief, it's just that we are older. Overall I wouldn't mind seeing a second one either.

Top Bottom