The Big Berserk Exhibition

Exciting news! Really hope it's available outside of the expo. Any indication if there will be unreleased art in it or just a compilation of what we've seen before?

Walter finally gets his art book :ubik:
I’d love an English or German version of this btw. I’m sure publishers won’t miss out in this, considered it’ll be available online, so I guess it’s only a matter of time until we get to buy this, too :) at least one way foreign fans can “revisit” the exhibition.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A plethora of new products was added to the list today. Magnets, a beanie and a sweater, a couple of jackets and hoodies (unfortunately not that great), a trio of t-shirts (not great either), face masks, postcards, tenugui (decorative hand towels), coin purses, acrylic keychains, plastic folders ("clear files"), stamps, and even a dish for soy sauce. Here are some of the items:

Hakaba_Tshirts-Sweater.jpg
Hakaba_Keychains.jpg

In addition, the official Twitter account published a teaser of a diorama featuring Puck, but not much can be seen in it.

PuckDiorama-Teaser.jpg

Atocas

Voice in the Void
I'm nor sure who they put in charge of shirt designs. Are merch shirts with just a square of print thrown onto them still appealing to people?

Loving the little teaser for the diorama though, can't wait to hopefully soon see more pictures of everything they've built.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm nor sure who they put in charge of shirt designs. Are merch shirts with just a square of print thrown onto them still appealing to people?

Yeah they feel like a rush job... and they probably are. It's likely that the YA team only gives a cursory look at most of these products, since in actuality they're made by third parties.
For example half of the new items are from "Gallery of Hakaba". Of course it's not an excuse for the mediocrity of some of these, but it does explain why the quality (and price) varies so much between products.

Anyway, I guess I should showcase the Tenugui, which I actually find nice:

Tenugui01.jpg
Tenugui02.jpg

And special mention to the soy sauce dish, what a genius idea. :ganishka:

Rakuin-SoySauce.jpg

I also saw the exhibition teaser on twitter. From what little we can see by this it doesn't look too bad. Feels like a very natural-looking scene to me, I hope the rest looks as good!
The driftwood on the left-hand side might look a bit too plasticky but this could also be due to the indoor lighting (?) or bad image quality.

Of all the things to sell officially ...

I've seen enough meme's or fan printed joke shirts out there of the same thing. They could've picked any panel from any scene/ character in the manga, and they chose this? Come on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Of all the things to sell officially [...] They could've picked any panel from any scene/ character in the manga, and they chose this? Come on.

Yeah that's pretty tasteless. It's disappointing that Prime1 would pull something like this and that Hakusensha would vet it. Especially since their other two shirts are nice. By the way, these are part of another huge pile of items that have been added to the shop. There's more Berserk merchandise being created for this event than has been made over the past 30 years.

That's fucked up, I can't believe that's going to be an official product. In a way, actions like these unfortunately reinforce the discussions about some elements that people deem edgy and problematic in the manga, and gives them validity. It makes sexual assault seem like a joke, and it normalizes it through the actions of the company like it's no big deal or something funny. "Haha, the rape horse, cool idea for a shirt". Truly disgusting.

Of all the things to sell officially ...

I've seen enough meme's or fan printed joke shirts out there of the same thing. They could've picked any panel from any scene/ character in the manga, and they chose this? Come on.
That isn't a good taste at all, still I bet it will sell like crazy...

With the exhibit a week away from now, do we have any confirmation from members about when they will be going and able to provide pictures and such? I know Inga-no-Nagare said they would be attending. Unfortunately, due to some shitty scheduling/timing with things, I purchased a ticket for the 18th. I'm obviously still THRILLED to be going but will be a bit late to the party.

I'm sure that tons of pictures will be up on social media and the like, but it would be cool for us to have an insider there early on!

Last edited:

Oricon just posted this article that has some images of the exhibition linked including the giant Zodd statue.

Edit: This article also has new images that display some of the recreations of locations such as Godot's forge and the Corridor of Dreams. https://mantan-web.jp/article/20210909dog00m200027000c.html

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oricon just posted this article that has some images of the exhibition linked including the giant Zodd statue.

Thanks for posting these. Let's hope enough photos emerge over the coming days that we'll be able to get a decent feeling of what it's like. I'll say though, I'm disappointed with what they did for the Zodd statue. I guess they were limited by the ceiling height and other regulations, and that informed what they went with, but still... I'd have preferred a 1:1, full size Zodd.

On that note, a second video message has been posted, this time from Toa Yukinari, who dubbed Casca in the movies and 2016 adaptation: https://youtu.be/Pm2o8y9-IeY

I'm disappointed with what they did for the Zodd statue.
I hate to say I felt the same way seeing it... the way they had talked about it made it seem as though a full body Zodd was what they were going for. It still does look neat for what it is so I won't complain too much but definitely not what I was dreaming of.

Edit: This article also has new images that display some of the recreations of locations such as Godot's forge and the Corridor of Dreams. https://mantan-web.jp/article/20210909dog00m200027000

I hate to say I felt the same way seeing it... the way they had talked about it made it seem as though a full body Zodd was what they were going for. It still does look neat for what it is so I won't complain too much but definitely not what I was dreaming of.
same legs and wings for zodd lol but man does it all look soo awesome wish i could go see it soo happy to see miuras work set up like this

I just dropped by the exhibit hall so I know the route for tomorrow morning and they had the doors open and they actually had people out front(selling tickets?). I got a slight peak at the entrance and the gift shop. You could also hear the epic music being played. So psyched for tomorrow morning!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I got a slight peak at the entrance and the gift shop. You could also hear the epic music being played. So psyched for tomorrow morning!

Nice! Please don't forget to take as many photos as possible! Even the gift shop would be interesting to see. :guts:
I can even host them for you if you have no way to put them online in a convenient manner, feel free to reach out.

Top Bottom