The Big Berserk Exhibition

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ExpoBanner.jpg

Hakusensha is organizing an exhibition to celebrate Berserk's 30th anniversary. It will take place in Tokyo from January 30 to February 15, 2021. Afterwards, they are planning to hold it in various other parts of Japan, although no details have been communicated at this time. Here is the official website. This thread summarizes what we know and will be used to give updates and discuss the exhibition going forward.

NOTE FROM MIURA

Except for the animations and Hakusensha-related events, I've reached this far while never having a single signing event, let alone a celebration for the 10th and 20th anniversaries. Neither having Twitter nor a blog, I can't help it if people say "is he a modern-day mangaka?"

However, this 30th anniversary is different. In addition to displaying stacks of original drawings, it seems a pleasant "Eclipse Land", which has been created by all the staff who caused love for Berserk to be worsened, will be realized. To drive away the misfortune of the coronavirus, "he comes to our time, we come to his land", please let your acquaintances know about this event and come.

October 9, 2020
Kentarou Miura

Note: This message was translated by Puella. Miura makes a joke about people's love for Berserk being like a disease, which is why he says the staff has made it worse (i.e. made people love Berserk more). At the end, he quotes what Void says at the beginning of the Eclipse.

EXHIBITS

This is the first large-scale exhibition dedicated to Berserk. Over 200 handwritten manuscripts and original color illustrations from Kentarou Miura will be featured. There will also be statues produced by Art of War, Prime 1 and Max Factory, as well as various dioramas produced specifically for this event. Everything will be arranged around the exhibition of original drawings from Miura, presented in chronological order.

FLOOR PLAN

Map_Translated.jpg

Entrance: A photo spot featuring the Dragon Slayer, replicating the new edition of volume 1.
Chronological display: Valuable original drawings and three-dimensional objects will be displayed in chronological order.
Eclipse: The traumatizing scene of the Eclipse is reproduced with a large diorama.
Godot: A reproduction of the scene in volume 17 when Godot reforges the Dragon Slayer despite being on the brink of death.
Puck's corner: A corner that reproduces Elfhelm. Representations of Puck in his super deformed 'Chestnut' form will be placed in the trees.
Zodd: Guts' rival, Zodd, is reproduced at full scale! [Pending the success of the crowdfunding campaign]
Corridor of Dreams: Reproduces the impressive scene of the same name.

Map-Scenes.png
VENUE

When: From January 30 (Sat) to February 15 (Mon), 2021

Where: The event will take place in a building complex named Sunshine City. It consists of four buildings: Sunshine 60 (a 240 meters skyscraper), the Prince Hotel, the World Import Mart, and the Bunka Kaikan building. The complex was conceived as a "city within the city" and includes a large shopping mall, many restaurants, but also an observation deck for the city, a museum, an aquarium, a planetarium, a theater, an indoor amusement park and a convention center. Plus corporate offices and hotel rooms.

The Berserk Exhibition will take place in Exhibition Hall A of the convention center, which is situated on the fourth floor of the World Import Mart building.

SunshineCity-FloorPlan.gif

Sunshine City, Exhibition Hall A (World Import Mart Building, 4F)
〒170-0013 3-3-1 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo

Official website / View in Google Maps

TICKETS

Same-day ticket: ¥2000 ($19)
Audio guide: ¥700 ($6.60)

It will be possible to buy tickets in advance that will come with special benefits. Details for those are scheduled for early December.

MERCHANDISE

Official merchandise will be sold at the venue. The products available will be announced online before the event. These won't be the same items than those offered as rewards in the crowdfunding campaign.

OTHER INFORMATION

Organizer:
"Big Berserk Exhibition" Executive Committee
Partners: Kenshin (ART OF WAR) / Prime 1 Studio / Max Factory

・ The event may be canceled or postponed to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus infection.
・ Information about this exhibition is subject to change without notice.
・ Depending on the attendance, you may have to wait for a long time to purchase a ticket and enter the venue. You may also not be able to enter.
・ No ticket refund or reissue after purchase.
・ The purchase of tickets does not guarantee the purchase of products sold at the venue official shop. The number of original goods sold at the exhibition will be limited each day, except for made-to-order products.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
So, has there been any thought on getting venue approval to have a professional photographer capture the moments for all of us stuck outside Japan?
I have no contacts in Japan, but I would be willing to contribute to a photographer if it made sense to support formally.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, has there been any thought on getting venue approval to have a professional photographer capture the moments for all of us stuck outside Japan?
I have no contacts in Japan, but I would be willing to contribute to a photographer if it made sense to support formally.
Same. I've considered the logistics of it, but also have no one in Japan to even scout out possible solutions. I'd also chip in money to make this happen.

guuuuuuuuts

Same. I've considered the logistics of it, but also have no one in Japan to even scout out possible solutions. I'd also chip in money to make this happen.
Would it make sense to ask the venue (please no one do this just cause I asked)? Or, to contact someone else connected to the event?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Would it make sense to ask the venue (please no one do this just cause I asked)? Or, to contact someone else connected to the event?

I would imagine that because it's Hakusensha's show, the vendor wouldn't have much of a say in who comes or goes. The first task would be to find out someone associated with the event at Hakusensha and ask if photography would be allowed. They could very well say no... I've heard that Japanese events tend to be like that, as it could deter anyone who might want to visit. I also would imagine they'd release some specifics as we get closer to the event. In any case, we'd need to pay for the event ticket + any hourly rate.

If it's anything like the Jojo exhibition I went to earlier this year, there are sections where photography is allowed and sections where it isn't....In Jojo's case that meant about 80% of the exhibition was off limits to photography. Like Walter said, it makes sense as they want people to actually visit the thing instead of just checking out pictures online. It's also seen as more respectful to enjoy the opportunity respect the art with your eyes than for everyone to be snapping photos.

I'll be going and will take pictures of anything and everything I am allowed to at the event. I can't promise how much of the actual exhibit that will be however. I figure there will at the very least be an area to pose and take photos with the Zodd statue, possibly an area or two inside the exhibit....chances are slim that it will be anything that substantive though.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, I immediately thought about it. I could get it done. However like Walter and Draculoid said, the feasibility of the endeavor will depend on whether pictures are allowed inside, which isn't guaranteed.

I'll be going and will take pictures of anything and everything I am allowed to at the event. I can't promise how much of the actual exhibit that will be however. I figure there will at the very least be an area to pose and take photos with the Zodd statue, possibly an area or two inside the exhibit....chances are slim that it will be anything that substantive though.

Thanks! Much appreciated. At the entrance there's a photo spot with the Dragon Slayer that reproduces volume one's cover. Then there's the Zodd statue where I also expect photos to be encouraged. Outside of that... Like you mentioned, I expect restrictions unfortunately.

The site has added a "special preview" that will take place on January 29. It is mentioned that there will be a video message by Kentaro Miura!

Seems like it will be through a lottery system though, so only selected people. Need somebody based in Japan to come in clutch for us.

EnXbhA2W8AACKUp

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the full information. They've updated the site with detail about the advance tickets that will be available.

From December 19 to January 29 (the eve of the event), people will be able to buy tickets for 1800 yen (roughly $17). From January 30 to the end of the exhibition, same-day tickets will be sold for 2000 yen (about $19). As previously mentioned, an audio guide will be available for 700 yen. Admission will be free for kids aged 12 and younger.

Two commemorative items can be purchased with these advance tickets. A beherit pendant produced by Art of War that is priced either 5000 yen with the early tickets or 5200 yen with the same-day tickets, and a Dragon Slayer pin badge that will be sold for 2500 yen with the early tickets and 2700 yen with the same-day tickets. The price difference is minor, but I guess they feel it's sufficient to incite people to get their ticket early.

These tickets with commemorative products attached are only sold through a partner service operated by a company called Lawson. They will not be available at the venue.

The special preview is part of that advance tickets sale. It grants early access to the exhibition. It will take place on January 29 from 14:00 to 17:00 and will be limited to 200 attendees.

Other than being able to visit the exhibition before the general public, those who attend the preview will have access to the exclusive goods from the venue's shop and are assured to be able to buy them (note that we don't yet know what the products are). They will also receive an exclusive poster of the exhibition in B1 size (728 x 1030 mm). And they will be able to watch a "talk show" that will last 30 minutes (to which the press will also have access). During that talk show, a short video message from Miura will be displayed. The site explicitly indicates that it will be forbidden to record the video message. However, what Miura says in it will likely be relayed to us by specialized media like Natalie. I doubt it's very long anyway.

Applying for a chance to attend that private preview will take place via the same Lawson service and be priced at 3500 yen. The attendees will be selected by a lottery among those who will have applied. Participation will be open from November 27 at noon to December 7 at midnight. The winners will get the news on December 10 at 15:00. People who attend the preview are liable to end up in pictures and video footage taken by or provided to the media.

guuuuuuuuts

It would be awesome to get venue approval for a full recording of the talk (that we can then translate). Worth at least considering asking them.

The site has added some of the items that will be sold at the exhibition.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A bag and a bunch of reprinted art, priced between $20 and $100 based on size. Though none are QUITE as big as I would want for a wall.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They will have a lot of reproductions, that's interesting. A bit small though, like Walter said. And none that are limited in numbers so far, from what I can see. On one hand, it's good that they'll produce more illustrations given the dearth of them over the last 20 years, but on the other hand, these just aren't very satisfying given how small they are, and they won't be available anywhere except at the event... Frustrating. Why not just sell them online?

Here's a summary of all the illustrations:

BerserkExpo-CharacterFineBoards.jpg

Sounds like they are high quality prints, but as other have already stated....the sizes aren't great. The F10s are just about there but dang, that price. It's also too bad the selection is limited to just those 2.

Besides the negatives, it is at least nice to see this first round of revealed merchandise to be focusing the art. Better than a round of keychains and clear files. I hope this is a sign of things to come and we get that art book I bet we are all holding our breath for.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like they are high quality prints, but as other have already stated....the sizes aren't great. The F10s are just about there but dang, that price. It's also too bad the selection is limited to just those 2.

Yeah and it's worth highlighting that they are printed on canvas and stretched on a frame, these aren't just rolled up posters.

Besides the negatives, it is at least nice to see this first round of revealed merchandise to be focusing the art. Better than a round of keychains and clear files.

:ganishka: I see I'm not the only one who's aggravated by those goddamn clear files. Who the hell uses these things? Elementary school students?

I hope this is a sign of things to come and we get that art book I bet we are all holding our breath for.

Do not speak the forbidden word. :stop:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The scale looks off to me. Too big.

EDIT: Interestingly, I just noticed they've raised the prices of the illustrations. The ones that are sized in F3 went from ¥1980 to ¥2200 and the F6 ones went from ¥4400 to ¥4510. No change for the bigger F10 ones, they remain priced at ¥11,000.

The change might have occurred yesterday when they added in Charlotte's Baumkuchen cake (sold for ¥1980).

Baumkuchen-BigBerserkExpo02.jpg

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The audio guides for the exhibition will be narrated by the voice actors of the recent animation: Kaoru Mizuhara (Puck), Hiro Shimono (Isidro), Chiwa Saito (Schierke) and Satomi Arai (Ivalera). As for the voice actors of Guts and Casca, Hiroaki Iwanaga and Toa Yukinari, they will comment on the highlights of the exhibition during a "special broadcast" on the Tokyo MX channel that will take place on January 24 at 20:30 JST.

Top Bottom