The Dark Knight

Stream

Inousha
Re: Batman Begins...again

Heath Ledger, eh?

I can't really imagine him there, but I trust he COULD do the job well. Now lets just hope that he WILL.
And I believe this doesn't depend only on him, but of Nolan's vision and make up, etc.

Well, I surely am curious, can't wait. Liked Batman Begins a lot (Katie Holmes was *ugh*, but Cillian Murphy was imo great, so that did the balance :serpico: ), so... can't wait for the next one.

Umm and yeah, they're not re-casting Katie Holmes for this, right? :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

After seeing that trailer, I hope Batman Begins 2 isn't about the dark, secret, and I'm sure very interesting, lives of clowns. Also, they should just cast Hugh Jackman as the Joker and say that movie is Batman Begins 2. =)

Stream said:
Well, I surely am curious, can't wait. Liked Batman Begins a lot (Katie Holmes was *ugh*, but Cillian Murphy was imo great, so that did the balance), so... can't wait for the next one.

Umm and yeah, they're not re-casting Katie Holmes for this, right?

I'm not defending Katie Holmes or picking on you, but this is like the perfect display of woman arbitrarily hates female eye candy, typically loves pretty boy eye candy. :guts:

I call it Jake Gyllenhaal syndrome (maybe he'd make a great Joker, huh!?). :troll:

D

Death Can Wait

I am also not a fan of Katie Holmes, she's not even eye-candy to me and I am of the male what should be called "species". I find her almost repulsive, maybe its my taste in women. I cringed a lot everytime she came up near "Bruce". Christopher
"Griffith No More!" said:
Well, it seems you're really more of a Nolan queen than a comic nerd now, anyway. :troll:

I can't tell whether you're not a fan of TLH or if you're stating Walter's a Nolan fan. Walter obviously has a point, I don't think they could do the whole movie perfectly but again (as you noticed) with BB year one inspiration (my personal fave Miller work for B, not the dark knight returns) there were some elements from TLH already. Again, if LOTR can be done, a large Batman GCN can at least be made into a movie. No, I doubt the whole thing and covering the entire year+ timespan in which the GCN occurs (documenting each holiday) but the original Burton movie recounted his origin, did the Joker's entire story and even fleshed a background for him, a relationship with Vicky Vale, and Batman's "starting point" with plenty of car chase sequences and Prince pumping music.

TLH -can- be done. Maybe not 100% accurate (neither was BB) and not without making it simple for casual fans, but I bet after the success of BB, people have a restored faith in the Bat and critics will definitely praise Nolan imo no matter what.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Well, it seems you're really more of a Nolan queen than a comic nerd now, anyway. :troll:
I won't deny it :guts: And yeah, The Prestige looks great. I just saw the trailer yesterday. Oh, and I just read that David Bowie's got a small role in it too, hehe.

I call it Jake Gyllenhaal syndrome (maybe he'd make a great Joker, huh!?). :troll:
Gyllenhaal could be Ledger's Harlequin :ganishka:

Death Can Wait said:
after the success of BB, people have a restored faith in the Bat and critics will definitely praise Nolan imo no matter what.
Geez, even I don't have that much faith in the guy XD

D

Death Can Wait

Oh I don't have "praise" for Nolan, asides from Batman he has only one other film in my book worth my time. I am, however, pretty much convinced critics will side with him on the next Batman no matter who plays who.

CnC

Ad Oculos

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060731n.php

Looks like its going to be called "The Dark Knight"

D

Death Can Wait

Great title imo. While I loved BB, I felt it was overly simplistic (yet again this is personal, for a broad audience its right at home). But for the love of god, NO KATIE HOLMES DAMN IT.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Sounds like you are a Holmes fan, but it's a fanatical disliking. =)

My point was that I didn't really notice her, she had a thankless role and executed it (on the other hand, Cillian Murphy had an interesting role), that's about it, she could have been any other actress (and was to me, I'd never seen her in anything before, which probably helped). So, I feel like the hatred of her in the movie is more Dawson's Creek/Tom Cruise baggage and Internet bullshit thank anything in the movie (except her weird face). But to me she was a basically totally innocuous, so it's funny when I see her bashed like Jar Jar Binks.

Anyway, I think the title's perfect, it's already a more promising movie on that alone.

D

Death Can Wait

Oh no, I meant it as a warning, not as a sign of distress (lest that was a wity use of sarcasm). I couldn't stand Holmes in BB, its the only part of the movie that left a bad taste.

As you said, her character (Rachel?) could have been played by any actress, and yes, you het the nail on the hammer. Its her weird face, I can't stand it nor her voice for that matter.

As for TDN, I'm getting a little more hopeful now. I think I will be reasurred (or destroyed) once I see some screens/trailers of Ledger in the Joker costume.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Young Nastyman said:
As you said, her character (Rachel?) could have been played by any actress, and yes, you het the nail on the hammer. Its her weird face, I can't stand it nor her voice for that matter.

I don't think she's all that bad looking nor do I think she sounds all that odd, its just she's not a good actress...

Young Nastyman said:
As for TDN, I'm getting a little more hopeful now. I think I will be reasurred (or destroyed) once I see some screens/trailers of Ledger in the Joker costume.

I'm swearing off all teasers/trailers for this one. I got bit hard (most aspects of the movie revealed) on Superman and I don't mean to repeat that mistake

D

Death Can Wait

Dont' get me wrong. Its not like I vommit everytime I see her on screen. She is "tolerable", but I see nothing worth noting of her and (with anything) I just don't find her "enjoyable" at least.

Off-topic, how was Superman? I've yet to see it.

As for trailers on TDK, I'll have to watch at least 1. What sold me on BB was the trailer more so than the pre-hype. I also found it funny about all the bitching that Ghoul was asian and not European. And of course, "What a twist!"

CnC

Ad Oculos

Young Nastyman said:
Off-topic, how was Superman? I've yet to see it.

We got a whole thread dedicated to it. Overall I liked it

Young Nastyman said:
As for trailers on TDK, I'll have to watch at least 1. What sold me on BB was the trailer more so than the pre-hype. I also found it funny about all the bitching that Ghoul was asian and not European. And of course, "What a twist!"

Ken watanabe (I believe thats his name, guy from samurai) did a good, albeit brief job.
[hide] And technically, Ghoul "became" European. [/hide]

D

Death Can Wait

[hide] True, yet for the sake of things most did not like the idea of Ken Wantanbe being cast as him. As you said, he did a great job either way.[/hide]
I doubt they would have gone for BBA, yet 2 was a little predicted by me actually, I didn't think he'd go for witty subtitiles.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

CnC said:
I'm swearing off all teasers/trailers for this one.  I got bit hard (most aspects of the movie revealed) on Superman and I don't mean to repeat that mistake

I'm with you on this one, CnC. Although the Batman Begins trailer was more like a teaser than anything, and was handled the way I wish most trailers were these days. From what I remember, it was about a minute long and showed mostly the early parts of the film (and not very many of those, at that). But yeah, after the Superman trailers, I'm not taking any chances on the movie (which I'm eagerly anticipating) being spoiled before I've seen it.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
I'm gonna argue that Katie Holmes was actually a pretty good actress, pre-Cruise. She was fantastic in Pieces of April - hell, you'd never know it was the same woman, even without the clothing and hair differences. I'm definitely not sad that she's been jettisoned from this franchise, but it's just too bad...cause I think she had potential before the crazies got her.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really dig the official title. Just one sequel away from "Dark Knight Returns" :isidro: :carcus:

mahlernut said:
She was fantastic in Pieces of April
You saw Pieces of April? :ganishka:

It's still too far away to judge, but I think you guys (Death CAN'T Wait in particular) are really overestimating the possibility of Holmes even playing a major role in this movie, regardless of whoever IMDB "confirms". Bruce has never been a one woman man (or an any woman man, for that matter...). Call me out if I'm wrong on this, though.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
It's still too far away to judge, but I think you guys (Death CAN'T Wait in particular) are really overestimating the possibility of Holmes even playing a major role in this movie, regardless of whoever IMDB "confirms".  Bruce has never been a one woman man (or an any woman man, for that matter...).  Call me out if I'm wrong on this, though.

It just occurred to me earlier today how odd it was that in the Burton series and Begins, theres been a love intrest for batsy in every movie (I think, can't stomach the burton movies after seeing begins).  Now, I'm not saying that the comics don't ever have a real love intrest for him, and theres the semi-constant playboy act.... but he spends more time without a sincere love intrest then with one. 
Why use a love interest to humanize the guy?  This is a man who spends most of his time play acting people he's not.  A more appropriate way to humanize batman would be to play to his limitations and mortality.  He can't save everybody, and they could maybe pull off him constantly recovering from one injury or another (damn new batsuit making that hard).

*pokes the sidekick topic again* maybe they should do Jason Todd (had the guts to steel the wheels of the batmobile and Robin 2) and the Joker can kill him. . .

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Walter said:
You saw Pieces of April? :ganishka:

Absolutely. Really good little film. I'd heard of it, thought I'd hate it, but ended up enjoying it tremendously.

All I remember is a comment by Nolan after BB that Holmes wasn't going to be. Considering how large the grain of salt is that I take IMDB with, I'm persisting in that belief until I hear otherwise :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Why use a love interest to humanize the guy?
It's the Hollywood formula dude. Every major motion picture, especially Summer flicks, have to have a romantic interest to get all possible (cough cough FEMALE) audiences.
*pokes the sidekick topic again* maybe they should do Jason Todd (had the guts to steel the wheels of the batmobile and Robin 2) and the Joker can kill him. . .
Fine by me, but it wouldn't be very dramatic if Robin only took up ~1.5 hours of screentime before he was murdered.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."

Like the new title for the film.  But like everyone else I never saw Heath Ledger as being cast as the Joker. :isidro:

Young Nastyman said:
But for the love of god, NO KATIE HOLMES DAMN IT. 

I second that opinion.  We don't need to see anymore of Satan's--yes, I dislike Tom Cruise and anyone that's enough of an idiot to share in his beliefs--concubine on screen, especially not in this upcoming Batman movie.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Raziel said:
We don't need to see anymore of Satan's--yes, I dislike Tom Cruise and anyone that's enough of an idiot to share in his beliefs--concubine on screen, especially not in this upcoming Batman movie.

I'd liken Tom to more of a Galatic Warlord than Satan, but that aside, I don't think a person's religious beliefs (no matter how they express them) should determine one's opinion of them as an actor. I don't particularly care for Katie Holmes' acting, but it doesn't really bother me all that much. She's fairly unremarkable, IMO.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."

Rhombaad said:
I'd liken Tom to more of a Galatic Warlord than Satan, but that aside, I don't think a person's religious beliefs (no matter how they express them) should determine one's opinion of them as an actor.  I don't particularly care for Katie Holmes' acting, but it doesn't really bother me all that much.  She's fairly unremarkable, IMO.

I agree that their beliefs shouldn't determine a person's opinion as an actor, but I never cared much for Cruise.  His recent adventures though do little for gaining him any points with others, but hey, whatever floats his boat.  Just wish he'd keep his ideas to himself half the time though.

But she is pretty unremarkable as far as her acting abilities go, but I imagine that they could cast a better actress for the part.

Top Bottom