The Descent

Has anybody else seen this fantastic horror film?   I loved Dog Soldiers and i was excited beyond belief when i heard of Neil Marshalls The Descent. Unfortunately I reside in the U.S. and i wanted to see it on the big screen so i had to wait a  good 6 months, but it was worth the wait.

Just wanted to make a thread on this so i wouldnt hijack the PULSE..... thread with my comments on this fine film. :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I loved Dog Soldiers too, not least cause of a massive crush on Sean Pertwee, who is effing brilliant in it (he's the one that lives through that partial evisceration early on).  So yeah, I was pumped about The Descent.

If you enjoy horror movies with stupid, stupid characters that completely deserve to die anyway (a legitimate genre of course), The Descent is for you.  Ju-heezeyus Christ.  If there had been no monsters, you'd have ended up with the same body count, I swear. 

[hide]Sci-fi-geek-wise, my only nitpicks are the goofery of the monsters' selective hearing (they hear what the plot needs them to) and holy geeze there must be a shitload of prey animals in the area.  It's like finding a cave full of 85 cougars.  If, of course, the whole thing wasn't a dream.[/hide]

But yeah, you'll be able to stop caring and just enjoy the carnage after these girls enter a completely unmarked cave and crawl down a tiny hole to fuck knows where, for shits and giggles.

ETA:  Ta (presumably to Walter) for the spoiler protection, I was being my usual inconsiderate jerk movie ruining self.  Vader is Luke's father, and the chick from the Crying Game is a dude.  Oh, and Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

I really enjoyed it simply because you have, what? 15-20 minutes of establishing characters (these scenes have their own touch of horror) before it's just balls-to-the-walls horror until the end. And I liked the bit of homage paid to other films as well. Obviously there's the CARRIE-esque bloodbath scene, but then the monsters themselves are very reminiscient of NOSFERATU, and they make a kinda clicking sound not totally unlike PREDATOR's uhhh... predator. It was just nice to have these little things thrown into an already great scare-fest. Great flick! ^_^

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Oh, yes. And they definitely got the claustrophobia vibe humming early on, though once I quit caring about the poor dumb sods the effect dissipated for me.

I can't stop bitching about their all going down the fucking hole. Even if they'd wanted men in that movie they couldn't have fit any through the hole. Maybe an idiot-boy like the 'let's investigate this... creepy fucking hole with no clear way out' kid from Jeepers Creepers. Hell. He'd have been up for it.

Auturgist said:
I really enjoyed it simply because you have, what? 15-20 minutes of establishing characters (these scenes have their own touch of horror) before it's just balls-to-the-walls horror until the end.

Yes, thats also a large part of why i liked it. It had both kinds of horror, psychological in the first 15-20 minutes with the claustrophobia of the cave itself, and then just full-on action packed horror, like you said, till the end.

I'm still irritated that they changed the ending in the U.S. though. I saw the alternate ending on Youtube, and i vastly prefer the original.

TheBeast43105 said:
I'm still irritated that they changed the ending in the U.S. though. I saw the alternate ending on Youtube, and i vastly prefer the original.

I was worried they might change the ending in the U.S. Tell me what happens in the U.S. version (via PM if you are worried about spoiling it for people, unless there's a spoiler tag), because if they do what I think they might, I'd be annoyed. The ending I saw on the U.K. DVD is awesome.

The Descent was a great movie, plus I got to see the Saw III trailer! Does anyone know exactly why Lions Gate changed the original ending of the movie? I thought the ending to the UK version was much much better in my opinion.

I gotta say i didnt want to see this movie and then a friend of mine dragged me along and i was really impressed. It wasnt like a horror movie to me really i mean when i think horror i want somthing that spooks me and makes me want to sleep with the light on.. which i gotta say almost nothing does anymore.

But I will say i loved Dog Soldiers and The Descent doesnt dissapoint eather. I thought it was great from start to finish. It actually got me into the movie (which most dont) i was like yeah kill them monsters! and so forth lol, i dont want to say any spoilers but some parts did make me mad. not in a mad that sucked way but a mad i cant believe they did that which is great.. the first two people to die in the film i was like omg i cant believe they did that thats so awesome!

Plus you get to see Saw III preview! which i cant wait for that!

Anyways anyone mind PM'ing me the UK ending i didnt know there was an alternate ending.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Everyone I saw it with hated it. I, on the other hand, loved it! :guts: I thought it was very entertaining. Having seen both endings, I honestly have to say I didn't like either of them. They both felt pretty much the same, to me, although the UK ending did seem to fit better (given some of the main characters earlier nightmares/hallucinations). I'll probably pick this up on DVD when it comes out. I mean, c'mon, it's a movie about vicious cave creatures. What's not to love? :zodd:

For those of you who want to see the original UK ending of the film, here's a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wP7zx8ecqY

I also found an interview with the director of the film, Neil Marshall, online. Apparantly he wanted the ending changed for U.S. audiences because the original ending wasn't popular in the UK, about half the viewers liked it while the other half didn't.

http://movies.radiofree.com/interviews/thedesce_neil_marshall.shtml

Top Bottom