The Art of FTK_OCEAN_

Greetings! I’ve long been a lurker and recently decided to join to share something I’ve been working on for the last few months. In a few weeks I’ll be releasing a book about my child protecting, time traveling character “FTK_OCEAN_” going back to Midland in an attempt to stop Donovan from abusing Guts. I began creating the FTK_OCEAN_ character to hunt pedophiles and child traffickers, so hunting Donovan just seemed like the next logical step.

My goal with this book is to time travel in the art itself, and mimic Miura’s Golden Age Arc style as closely as possible. Learning his style is intense and I have spent many nights with aching hands wanting to rip my own hair out. Here are some samples of what is soon to come. I hope it is to your liking.

Not sure how to attach images from mobile web so I will link my instagram for now:

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi!

Well, that's quite the project. If I'm being honest, I don't see the point in trying to alter the story in this fashion. Especially through the intervention of a time-traveling Mary Sue, which is pretty ridiculous in the context of the story being told. But if it makes you happy I guess... Also, this could hardly be described as a narrative arc, or even a chapter of the story. It's not like killing Donovan is a particularly hard task.

Hi!

Well, that's quite the project. If I'm being honest, I don't see the point in trying to alter the story in this fashion. Especially through the intervention of a time-traveling Mary Sue, which is pretty ridiculous in the context of the story being told. But if it makes you happy I guess... Also, this could hardly be described as a narrative arc, or even a chapter of the story. It's not like killing Donovan is a particularly hard task.

It’s a little what if fun that makes more sense once you read about the motivations of the character. Main point is training myself in the manga techniques I admire to showcase when I release my own fully original material. Thanks for looking!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks for sharing your project with us! Imitating Miura's style is a monumental task, but the offerings you've shared so far show that you're making progress! One interesting challenge is how to imitate the midtones and effects used in print media and adapting them seamlessly into a digital format. Have you downloaded Kyle's brushes? That guy has a huuuuge library, and I believe they're shared for free through Adobe's software.

If I could give one piece of constructive criticism: the font you're using looks like Comic Sans? I would recommend actually finding a font on this guy's site, he has several fonts available for independent creators for free: http://www.blambot.com/

Thanks for sharing your project with us! Imitating Miura's style is a monumental task, but the offerings you've shared so far show that you're making progress! One interesting challenge is how to imitate the midtones and effects used in print media and adapting them seamlessly into a digital format. Have you downloaded Kyle's brushes? That guy has a huuuuge library, and I believe they're shared for free through Adobe's software.

If I could give one piece of constructive criticism: the font you're using looks like Comic Sans? I would recommend actually finding a font on this guy's site, he has several fonts available for independent creators for free: http://www.blambot.com/
Thank you! Yes the toning has been a challenge. I’m using clip art studio EX but I should be able to import brushes and fonts fairly easily. Thank you for your constructive criticism! I am looking into this now. I’ve scrapped and restarted this project 2x already due to quality control.

here is one of my better panels in capturing the line work of Miura

After recovering from COVID and reconnecting with my passion for art, i've been experiencing a surge of creativity, fueled by the realization of my own mortality and my quest to follow in the footsteps of Kentaro. I've stopped over critiquing myself and just focused on drawing with emotion. Years of studying and overthinking are finally paying off (lol). This was done on a Wacom 22HD tablet.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Dude... these aren't a joke, damn. :isidro: It's safe to say that anyone looking at that half of your face will know which manga you like! :SK: The Berserker armor is impressive with all that detail!

Dude... these aren't a joke, damn. :isidro: It's safe to say that anyone looking at that half of your face will know which manga you like! :SK: The Berserker armor is impressive with all that detail!
I also have a sleeve that will be connected to the head piece. My artist is expensive (worth it) so it’s taking some time lol

Top Bottom