The Duke Nukem Forever List

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Most people familiar with video games know of this infamous game that's been supposed to come out for a decade. This is a list of some of the major events that happened while Duke Nukem Forever has been in development:

http://duke.a-13.net/

You might be surprised even when knowing how long it's been. And remember, it's not "Duke Nukem Forever, coming soon!" but "Duke Nukem, Forever coming soon!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ahahaha that list is great. The final section is my favorite.

Geez, this game's become legendary, well perhaps notorious is a better wording. Still, it's probably one of the most controversial games in history. I remember mentioning it years ago in passing to my dad, who knows absolutely nothing of video games, and he responded immediately with "isn't that the game that's taken over 8 years to make? What's the story behind that anyway?"

Here's some great quotes from the 3DRealms team, of which Broussard is the lead developer:

Scott Miller, 1997: "We're confident that DNF will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest game of 1998. And this confidence is not misplaced."

Joe Siegler, 1999: "Trust us, Duke Nukem Forever will rock when it comes out next year."

George Broussard, 2001:
"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong."

Broussard, February 2006: "It's definitely going well now. Things are together; we're in full production. We're basically just pulling all the pieces together and making the game out of it. There's a lot that's finished. All the guns are finished. Most of the creatures are finished. And as I said, we're just basically pulling it all together and trying to make it fun. We've kind of got all these disassociated elements that make up a game, and you put them together and things happen. And then you just tweak it and polish it until it's fun, and that's kind of the phase we're in now, just trying to make something that is really fun to play and interesting."

"The problem is that when we show it, people are going to be like, 'Yeah, whatever'. Honestly, at this point we just want to finish it.
Sounds GREEEEEEEAT :guts:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Any fellow nerds out there listen to the PC Gamer Podcast? They were talking about DNF. I guess back in early-2000's there was a trailer released for the game and it was in like, the Quake 2 engine or something, and it was pretty much completely DONE. Then they just scraped the whole thing.

They've done that, what, 2 or 3 times now? I was a huge fan of DN3d, but this wait is faaaar beyond ridiculous.

I love Duke Nukem and have been waiting forever for that damned game like everyone else, LOL. Can't wait for it if/when it comes out. They pretty much have to give us a ground breaking, game-of-the-century game to make up for this wait. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
Any fellow nerds out there listen to the PC Gamer Podcast? They were talking about DNF. I guess back in early-2000's there was a trailer released for the game and it was in like, the Quake 2 engine or something, and it was pretty much completely DONE. Then they just scraped the whole thing.
It was the E3 2001 trailer, done in BINK format. You can still find it several places on the net. For a 2001 game, it looked pretty awesome. But... now it'd be considered "par." On their forums, 3DRealms consider it to be a huge mistake on their part to have whetted the appetites of gamers by showing it.

They've done that, what, 2 or 3 times now? I was a huge fan of DN3d, but this wait is faaaar beyond ridiculous.
Yep. George just gets SOOOOO excited about newer technologies that he wants to incorporate, so he has to scrap the older stuff. Many programmers have left because of it. A texture artist that worked on DNF had a blog for a while and he'd posted a lot of malicious stuff regarding George's "flexibility" regarding the game's vision.

CnC

Ad Oculos
was listenin' to the pc gamer podcast earlier and they were talkin' about this. Apparently they even had a newer build as of last year that they demonstrated along with "Prey". well, prey is comin' out soon and DNF has more than likely been put back on the drawing board ever since George saw Crisis (or are they calling it Crysis?).

I had no idea the beatles had such a short life-span tho... I thought they lasted longer than that, considering how influencial they've been
...good find, aaz

S

smoke

I can't wait until they finish this so Uwe Boll can make a movie about it!

CnC

Ad Oculos
well, prey just went gold, apparently.

Dunno if that means anything for DNF, but things are lookin' good for max payne 3! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
well, prey just went gold, apparently.

Dunno if that means anything for DNF, but things are lookin' good for max payne 3! :troll:
Well, 3DR just produces those two titles. Remedy runs the Max Payne franchise and Human Head Studios made Prey. 3DR just oversees it, basically. They aren't ditching DNF to work on these other titles. Judging from their forums, they truly have been working on DNF for this long, they just keep scrapping shit left and right, as everyone's already said.

Update: "Max Payne" made major media headlines today as a gang is selling a brand of heroin titled "Max Pain" http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/21/bad.heroin.ap/index.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Reviving this thread because of some hilarious news.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/43655

The many delays and long development history of 3D Realms' anticipated Duke Nukem Forever, first announced in April 1997, are well known to gamers, but it appears that at present the game may be undergoing even more troubles. Shacknews has learned from numerous reputable sources close to the game's development that, since approximately the end of 2005, 3D Realms has had something of an employee exodus. Apparently, up to ten major team members have left the company, with multiple departures having occurred as recently as within the past few days.

Developers confirmed to have left 3D Realms since last December include Scott Alden, Will Bate, Brian Cozzens, Kyle Davis, Andy Hanson, Keith Schuler, and Charlie Wiederhold. Some of the former employees headed up crucial game systems such as physics, animation, and rendering. Notably, Schuler is a sixteen year veteran of Apogee and 3D Realms. Our sources indicate that while the game's team has reached a size of about 24-28 developers, recently it has been closer to 18, meaning these current departures may actually comprise a majority of the team. Several sources have indicated that further information regarding these matters is expected next week.

I hope they announce the decision to cancel the game in April 2007. It would be fitting somehow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The 3d realms forums make a big fuss every time someone leaves, and for good reason. They've already started to lose employees that've been with them since the 80s. Broussard's shitting on everything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
They've already started to lose employees that've been with them since the 80s. Broussard's shitting on everything.

Yeah, he really seems to be the problem himself. I wonder what the last 10 years of working there were like for these guys. At any rate it looks like he'll soon be working on his game alone.

Top Bottom