The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ::Updated with Screenshots::

Ramen4ever said:
I don't wanna run into that Spider in a dark cave just as my torch runs out. :isidro:

So far it looks good. Story is interesting. Faces definitely are better. Mechanics are simpler. I'm glad they're not continuing off right after Oblivion. From what I've read and seen so far, the game kind of reminds me of Vindictus. Giant enemies that are likely to tear you to pieces. ES 3 and 4 didn't really have giant enemies apart from Ogrim (meh), Minotaurs, Ogres, and Land Dreughs. By the looks of things, the enemies in ES 5 are gonna be too big to shield bash. I'm also really curious to see if levitation is coming back, seeing as how flying creatures are gonna be at the center of this thing.

I'm also curious about levitation. It would be interesting to see how it would play out with Dragon battles. I have a feeling it won't make it though, for a few reasons. One depending on cities being in their own cells. I just don't see it working well enough to incorporate, honestly. I'm enjoying the bigger enemies too, maybe the spiders will hang in the darkness and drop down on you. Spider webs are already confirmed to be an environmental trap.

You can head over to the Game Informer website if you want to read updates on the game. The Skyrim hub has a ton of cool articles about sound, combat, graphics etc. The Sounds of Skyrim is especially cool. One part even features a totally badass Dwemer Sphere from morrowind. :guts: The animation looks great.

Skyrim Hub ---> http://www.gameinformer.com/p/esv.aspx

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Have you guys seen the new trailer? Just when I was starting to calm down... :isidro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0&hd=1

Grail said:
Have you guys seen the new trailer? Just when I was starting to calm down... :isidro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0&hd=1
FFFFffuuuuuuuuuuckkkk yeah!

I guess it's finally time to start investing in that new laptop i've been planning for so long.

If this is how Happy Harry reacted to an announcement trailer without any gameplay footage...well, I guess he'd have to stick to Newgrounds for his reaction to this.

In any case...I'm gonna' need a new video card.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying

I DIDN'T SEE ANY SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRS IN THAT GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE SKYRIM CONFIRMED FOR SHIT :troll:

god I can't wait

0_________0 This looks awesome, I'm also just as excited for this as I am for Mass Effect 3 :guts:

Cyrus Jong said:
If this is how Happy Harry reacted to an announcement trailer without any gameplay footage...well, I guess he'd have to stick to Newgrounds for his reaction to this.

heh heh heh I loved this

Aphasia

Dar Klink said:
I DIDN'T SEE ANY SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRS IN THAT GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE SKYRIM CONFIRMED FOR SHIT :troll:

god I can't wait

That's because spears don't exist anymore. They were banned for being too pointy and cool. Actually, I remember in one of their podcasts they mentioned making spears work well would take a lot more effort compared to an axe, hammer or sword which all have a similar play style.

I'm super excited to finally see some gameplay. It looks fantastic. Worlds better than Oblivion in graphics and art direction. Yelling at dragons also makes me very happy.

Cyrus Jong said:

I think I might just build a new computer. :void:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying

Aphasia said:
Actually, I remember in one of their podcasts they mentioned making spears work well would take a lot more effort compared to an axe, hammer or sword which all have a similar play style.
Oh boy, I'm taking it that axes will be considered "blunt weapons" again along with clubs and maces while there will be one class of "sword" with long swords, daggers, short swords, etc etc all thrown in. I'd be fine with spears being just like they are in Morrowind with just stab forward and smack, it can't be that hard... AND ADD IN CROSSBOWS AGAIN! :troll:
Complaining aside, I'm super excite and I really hope I'm not disappointed by the game, because Elder Scrolls disappointment comes after like 80 hours of gameplay. :puck:

Aphasia

Dar Klink said:
Oh boy, I'm taking it that axes will be considered "blunt weapons" again along with clubs and maces while there will be one class of "sword" with long swords, daggers, short swords, etc etc all thrown in. I'd be fine with spears being just like they are in Morrowind with just stab forward and smack, it can't be that hard... AND ADD IN CROSSBOWS AGAIN! :troll:
Complaining aside, I'm super excite and I really hope I'm not disappointed by the game, because Elder Scrolls disappointment comes after like 80 hours of gameplay. :puck:

Actually they've made it simpler than that, but I think it's a good change. Now we have a one and two handed weapons skill. So an axe will be a one handed weapon, where a claymore would be a two handed. The reason I'm not concerned is all the perks they're incorporating. Supposedly over 200 perks allow you to specialize in something a great deal. It's just that the names have changed. It's less skill based and more perk based.

I'm with you though, I want a dwarven crossbow that is steam powered, right now. :puck:

I've never really been disappointed in a TES game. There are things about them that aren't as good as other titles, and some things that are better, but I always have fun.

I'm personally glad they're changing up the system.
I was really getting tired of having to always picks skills I didn't even want just so I could train the skills I wanted without leveling up. Multipliers were the worst. You could either waste your time aiming for perfect multipliers, or you could not give a crap and get stumped as to why marauders are suddenly kicking the shit out of you, even though you're high level.

I actually don't mind if they remove most of the weapon classifications. So long as the weapons are in the game and we can get specific skills for specific weapons, I'll be quite happy.

Oburi

All praise Grail

Yea that trailer was fantastic. The dragon yell timed with music sent a shiver down my spine.

Aphasia

Ramen4ever said:
I'm personally glad they're changing up the system.
I was really getting tired of having to always picks skills I didn't even want just so I could train the skills I wanted without leveling up. Multipliers were the worst. You could either waste your time aiming for perfect multipliers, or you could not give a crap and get stumped as to why marauders are suddenly kicking the shit out of you, even though you're high level.

Yeah, I agree. I think they're making a lot of great changes. Another thing to note is that skills which you decide to specialize in will level you faster than lesser skills. For example, if you level up a skill that is 60 it will benefit you more (towards leveling up) than a skill that is 30. I appreciate that they're not making you decide which class you are in the beginning via menu. It follows their philosophy of "you are what you do" So your character class should emerge naturally as you play.

Level scaling is still in, but it's more akin to fallout than Oblivion, which I'm very grateful for. Oblivion was backwards in that regard. I always want a game to kick my ass in the beginning and kick it's ass by the end. I want to have to take cover from a dragon while it swoops down and terrorizes the town. :ganishka:

Oburi said:
Yea that trailer was fantastic. The dragon yell timed with music sent a shiver down my spine.

That was a great part. I loved how the camera just panned away into the distance and started showing off the world. The fades reminded me of Morrowinds trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsadYZLd3E
The Skyrim theme is fantastic too. It's got pieces of Morrowind and Oblivion's themes sewn in there. Gotta love the beginning "DUM....DUM DUM...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1jbzMyFeU

Aphasia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

Here's a link to the demo presented at E3. I'm just blown away. I'll edit this with some more detailed thoughts later.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Aphasia said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

Here's a link to the demo presented at E3. I'm just blown away. I'll edit this with some more detailed thoughts later.

I'm not a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise, but this demo does look pretty cool. There's no denying they're a behemoth of the genre.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
It's nice to see some new footage, and definitely liking the look of that cooked salmon! :beast:

The shouting powers are what have me most excited. I wish I could have had some magical words to help me slow down time in Oblivion, somehow I think it would have helped to keep me from dying quite so much. :farnese:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Can't wait for the Skyrim version of this old classic series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSw11L2z9Kg

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
I loved the game until it was announced to be a Console port (that word leaves a bad taste in my mouth), i still like it but not as much as before (but what did i expect most of the gameplay was on the 360).

P.S. It just feel wrong that the Devs have to rely on modders to fix the problems on the PC, almost feels like they are releasing mod kits for the sake of the modding community to fix their game rather than enhance it's replayability and make it better.

Infinte said:
I loved the game until it was announced to be a Console port (that word leaves a bad taste in my mouth), i still like it but not as much as before (but what did i expect most of the gameplay was on the 360).

P.S. It just feel wrong that the Devs have to rely on modders to fix the problems on the PC, almost feels like they are releasing mod kits for the sake of the modding community to fix their game rather than enhance it's replayability and make it better.

I agree, this did make me angry. :mozgus:

However, I am more excited for the eventual mods than Skyrim itself.
SureAi (Nehrim, Arktwend) is already planning a Skyrim Total Conversion.

Also, once Andoran: Prologue is complete, the team will be creating the third act of their mod in the Skyrim engine.

I just hope that every aspect of the game is moddable without limitations.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Infinte said:
I loved the game until it was announced to be a Console port (that word leaves a bad taste in my mouth)

That is a somewhat despicable trend, but people can only blame each other for having driven the market in that direction. Various devs called it over and over (notably mentioning how piracy was killing the PC market) and now look what they're all doing. What's incredible is that some people somehow still manage to be in denial about piracy's impact on the industry.

Aphasia

Grail said:
It's nice to see some new footage, and definitely liking the look of that cooked salmon! :beast:

The shouting powers are what have me most excited. I wish I could have had some magical words to help me slow down time in Oblivion, somehow I think it would have helped to keep me from dying quite so much. :farnese:

It does look quite tasty. Yeah, those are pretty exciting. Magic finally looks like I hoped it would for Oblivion. The special effects aren't totally lame. The fireballs look like hot, intense...fireballs? Oblivions magic was really just mud. One thing I hope we get is visually different spells for stronger spells.

MrSmit said:
I agree, this did make me angry. :mozgus:

However, I am more excited for the eventual mods than Skyrim itself.
SureAi (Nehrim, Arktwend) is already planning a Skyrim Total Conversion.

Also, once Andoran: Prologue is complete, the team will be creating the third act of their mod in the Skyrim engine.

I just hope that every aspect of the game is moddable without limitations.

That kind of blew my mind. Why haven't I heard of this before? Looks fantastic. Also, there's no reason to believe they would restrict modding capability in any way. You'll have everything from HD res tit textures to motorcycles in a few months.

As for the game being a port to PC, I can't really blame them either. Bethesda, like many game publishers/devs aren't the same company they used to be. They've expanded from their once noble PC beginnings to a land where consoles are typically the higher grossing method of distribution. As such, it's natural that their focus would be on that market. Sad but true. I doubt PC optimizing will ever be a priority in their schedule.

Here are some more links to gameplay with sound. (no interview voice over!) Loving the music in the dragon battle. The light choir over the top really adds a lot of atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6poifO9NbCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uNlJAgIO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW1gSa0zBBc&feature=related

One thing that really bothers me is being forced into third person for finishing moves. I really hope I can toggle that. If not, then I will just wait for a mod that adds first person animations for all the kill moves.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Being a console port only angers me if the PC version lacks two things: 1. a high res texture pack and 2. a UI that is designed with the mouse in mind, rather than scrolling through options with an analog stick. If that means they have to make a separate UI for the PC version, then they need to do it. You can't just port it over with no changes and expect people to be happy.

Fortunately (albeit sadly) if there are any minor issues with Skyrim, the modding community will fix them. I'd just like Bethesda to release a game where that isn't necessary for once. Sorry if this post comes off as a "me too!"

Aphasia

Saephon said:
Being a console port only angers me if the PC version lacks two things: 1. a high res texture pack and 2. a UI that is designed with the mouse in mind, rather than scrolling through options with an analog stick. If that means they have to make a separate UI for the PC version, then they need to do it. You can't just port it over with no changes and expect people to be happy.

Fortunately (albeit sadly) if there are any minor issues with Skyrim, the modding community will fix them. I'd just like Bethesda to release a game where that isn't necessary for once. Sorry if this post comes off as a "me too!"

Yeah, I'm curious where you guys read it's going to be a console port? For what it's worth, it's been confirmed the PC always ships with higher resolution textures. Although it would be nice if they added a "very high res" setting.

Aphasia said:
Yeah, I'm curious where you guys read it's going to be a console port? For what it's worth, it's been confirmed the PC always ships with higher resolution textures. Although it would be nice if they added a "very high res" setting.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306184/news/behind-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-video-interview/

Oburi

All praise Grail
One thing I really hope for in Skyrim is for the quests that are beyond the factions or main story to be just as good if not even more interesting than before. In oblivion there were quests that were suprisingly engaging even though they might have been short in the grand scope of things. Stuff like buying a house and it turns out to be haunted and has a secret passageway buried beneath. There was a a good amount of these types quests in the past games (and about the same of lesser ones) so I really Skyrim can deliver on that front.

Top Bottom