The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
WHERE'S HER FUCKING HAT?!?? SHE WOULDN'T BE SKYRIMMING WITHOUT HER HAT!!! THAT IS SO OUT OF CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though that's cool as hell.

EDIT: There's pictures of her hat in the Bagserk Blogspot. I feel like a horse's patoot.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
WHERE'S HER FUCKING HAT?!?? SHE WOULDN'T BE SKYRIMMING WITHOUT HER HAT!!! THAT IS SO OUT OF CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though that's cool as hell.

Gut's ran after it.

I love the intensity of this...

ScreenShot13.jpg

50+ hours in and I'm so completely smitten with this game. I had no clue just how huge the world would be. Um, it's huge. My most difficult time so far was taking on a Dragon Priest when I was around level 13. However, it was worth the effort as his mask regenerates magicka 100% faster. :SK:

I'm trying not to fast travel too much as I've been trying to get as much leather as I possibly can. Level 90 Smithing here I come! :carcus:

Proj2501 said:
50+ hours in and I'm so completely smitten with this game. I had no clue just how huge the world would be. Um, it's huge. My most difficult time so far was taking on a Dragon Priest when I was around level 13. However, it was worth the effort as his mask regenerates magicka 100% faster. :SK:

I'm trying not to fast travel too much as I've been trying to get as much leather as I possibly can. Level 90 Smithing here I come! :carcus:

Buy it money is worthless in this game I hardly ever bought anything =D

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Elder Scrolls Online (and Skyrim) thread

http://kotaku.com/5907372/the-elder-scrolls-online-coming-next-year
Oh boy, a developer that can barely make an immersive single-player open sandbox world is going to try to make an MMO one. Can't wait for every province to be half the size. Okay, I know I'm being pessimistic, but Oblivion and Skyrim don't exactly leave good tastes in my mouth when it comes to Bethesda's world design, combat, animations, and... well everything outside of creating a moddable dollhouse game. :troll:

Huh, interesting. A few facts though - it isn't being made by the Bethseda that made Skyrim, and it's already been in development since 2007.

That said, yet /another/ generic fantasy MMO? Ugh. Waste of money and talent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Elder Scrolls Online (and Skyrim) thread

Dar Klink said:
I know I'm being pessimistic, but Oblivion and Skyrim don't exactly leave good tastes in my mouth when it comes to Bethesda's world design, combat, animations, and... well everything outside of creating a moddable dollhouse game. :troll:

Seems to me like they'll blend right in with the rest of the bunch. :iva:

Skyrim's combat is the very opposite of MMORPG combat. In Skyrim depending on your choices and ability to maneuver yourself , you could get your ass kicked by every monster you fight or become so powerful that everything was trivial. In an MMORPG, reflexes are taken out of the equation and combat is just you reenacting the developers' numbers game exactly as they had expected. I think both extremes have their problems, but I would take Bethesda's extreme over WoW's any day.

I'm never bothering with MMORPG's again. They are designed to be addictive and time consuming, not fun.

Dar_Klink

I'm not sure where you're coming from with that, the combat in Skyrim was hit mouse 1 until the enemy dies 99% of the time. Or hide in the shadows peppering them with arrows while they run around looking for you. I don't remember ever having to use any sort of reflexes or strategy, except for maybe against enemies who could hit my weapons out of my hands and into walls. :troll:

Dar Klink said:
I'm not sure where you're coming from with that, the combat in Skyrim was hit mouse 1 until the enemy dies 99% of the time. Or hide in the shadows peppering them with arrows while they run around looking for you. I don't remember ever having to use any sort of reflexes or strategy, except for maybe against enemies who could hit my weapons out of my hands and into walls. :troll:

Ever try fighting three ice wolves, a spriggan, a pack of giants and mammoths, a snow saber toothed tiger, or a gang of necromancers between while you were levels 5-12? Try fighting these as a low level mage with only flames and sparks, no projectiles, and no ability to stagger. I was fortunate to have enough potions on me at the time as in some cases, kiting was flat out impossible.

Once I get some nice projectile spells like firebolt and the stagger ability, combat was much easier and I rarely had to use potions. But using potions wasn't a big deal since gold isn't hard to accumulate

I've heard from some people who chose melee that they had a tough time.

Dar_Klink

Bekul said:
Sure, if you play on easy mode. :slan:
Increasing the difficulty doesn't increase the AI, it just gives them more strength and HP, so you get to hit them for longer.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Ever try fighting three ice wolves, a spriggan, a pack of giants and mammoths, a snow saber toothed tiger, or a gang of necromancers between while you were levels 5-12? Try fighting these as a low level mage with only flames and sparks, no projectiles, and no ability to stagger. I was fortunate to have enough potions on me at the time as in some cases, kiting was flat out impossible.

Once I get some nice projectile spells like firebolt and the stagger ability, combat was much easier and I rarely had to use potions. But using potions wasn't a big deal since gold isn't hard to accumulate

Even in those cases, the gameplay was spam potions, hide behind/on top of a rock that they can't get to, and jump out and hit, spam potions, etc. Nothing different from Morrowind or Oblivion besides being able to levitate away in Morrowind and being able to stagger with some spells in Skyrim. Still, will all the "improved combat" I found the easiest way to play was the usual bow + sneak combo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:

That's a pretty poor example in the context of your comparison to MMORPGs. Yeah fighting a pack of higher level enemies will get you killed! How unexpected! Also, funny that you mention kiting since it's a typical MMORPG fighting tactic, which shows a relation at least in that regard.

Groovy Metal Fist said:

My character uses a 2H sword and I didn't have a hard time. Nor did I use very elaborate tactics. Just run at enemies and (except bosses) kill them in one hit. I sometimes had to use Potions of Minor Healing though. THE CHALLENGE. :isidro: I'll admit though, I didn't try to fight an entire camp of giants and mammoths all at once at level 5.

Aazealh said:
That's a pretty poor example in the context of your comparison to MMORPGs. Yeah fighting a pack of higher level enemies will get you killed! How unexpected!

I was talking about just the general difficulty in response to Dar Klink. Yeah, in an MMORPG, a low level guy killing a giant would be physically impossible, because of your predetermined mana regeneration and strike probability. I pretty much explored whatever part of Skyrim I wanted and paid no attention to designated level; I was under the impression that the game world was supposed to scale with me. I did make it through those fights however. I liked to kill the Giants by finding a good ledge to help me time when I hit and when I ran.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What you say is not entirely true though. Even in a MMORPG skill (or tricks like getting on an inaccessible ledge) can make a difference. It's not all predetermined through math.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Groovy Metal Fist said:
They are designed to be addictive and time consuming, not fun.

Fortunately for me, I find Bethesda games to have none of those qualities. Trying to get through Fallout: New Vegas right now since it's actually by the original Fallout developers at Obsidian, but the oblivion engine continues to live up to its name for me.

Oh yeah, uhhh, Skyrim... er, is the Fallout 4 going to use this engine? *apathetic shrug*

Aazealh said:
What you say is not entirely true though. Even in a MMORPG skill (or tricks like getting on an inaccessible ledge) can make a difference. It's not all predetermined through math.

When I ran instances (which I consider what the game is really about), no one had to worry about inaccessible ledges, though there were moments where you needed to dodge. Mostly when you fought you used your skills in a predictable order, sometimes they would even be highlighted for you. I felt like the developers knew down to the last second how long each fight was supposed to take. When I fought in a group, I didn't feel like I was making any decision in the items I had or the skills I used or what times I used them; I only chose which fixed path to follow. Instance runs do take some skill in execution. Single player, on the other hand is brainless and dull.

For Skryim, I should also mention I always used my heal spells instead of potions the first time around for any battle. Drinking potions felt like such a cop out.

Griffith said:
Oh yeah, uhhh, Skyrim... er, is the Fallout 4 going to use this engine? *apathetic shrug*

I'd like that. For all of its flaws, Skyrim has gorgeous environments. Hopefully they can improve the human animation; it still doesn't look quite right.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
When I ran instances (which I consider what the game is really about), no one had to worry about inaccessible ledges, though there were moments where you needed to dodge. Mostly when you fought you used your skills in a predictable order, sometimes they would even be highlighted for you. I felt like the developers knew down to the last second how long each fight was supposed to take. When I fought in a group, I didn't feel like I was making any decision in the items I had or the skills I used or what times I used them; I only chose which fixed path to follow. Instance runs do take some skill in execution. Single player, on the other hand is brainless and dull.

I think you and Aaz are talking about two different things. I think you're talking specifically about WoW but using it to essentially represent all MMORPGs. Whereas Aaz sounds like he is talking about MMORPGs in general not just WoW. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I do agree with you that WoW is a big steaming pile. But WoW isn't a good example of MMOs in general. So saying all MMOs when you really mean WoW might be a bit confusing to a lot of people who have experienced various MMO games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
I think you and Aaz are talking about two different things. I think you're talking specifically about WoW but using it to essentially represent all MMORPGs. Whereas Aaz sounds like he is talking about MMORPGs in general not just WoW. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yes, exactly. The MMORPG genre really shouldn't be reduced to a single game. And when reading a quote like this I have to wonder:

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Single player, on the other hand is brainless and dull.

Are we talking about MMORPGs? Single player? What? Let me tell you, I've played game where soloing was everything but brainless or dull, when it was possible at all. And talking specifically about WoW, it's a game that was conceived from the very beginning so that it was easy to play and could attract as many people as possible. Your observations are therefore not surprising in the least.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
For Skryim, I should also mention I always used my heal spells instead of potions the first time around for any battle. Drinking potions felt like such a cop out.

I didn't drink any potion until I was level 25 or something and then I started going through the shittiest one so that they wouldn't encumber me anymore, at which point they were so weak it was barely of any use. Really, no matter how you cut it, Skyrim is not a difficult game to play. The real challenge lies in weight management as far as I'm concerned. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Really, no matter how you cut it, Skyrim is not a difficult game to play.

This is true, if you approach it like most games, and try to become as strong as you can. I found the gameplay to be fairly enjoyable and challenging, but I had to ramp the difficulty meter to the highest, and consciously avoided overusing certain skills (smithing/alchemy/echanting), as well as unfun tactics (like constantly going to the inventory to chug potions, or peppering monsters with arrows from unreachable rocks)... The game is a lot more fun when enemies can kill you in a (few) hit(s), you can't directly engage multiple opponents and have to use shouts and such to keep them at bay, or try to sneak around them, etc.

Basically, it's so much of a sandbox game, that you have to take responsibility of your own enjoyment. :griffnotevil: I've always loved TES games, but it's mostly the sheer scope and freedom of exploration/finding new places that I like so much... (And in Daggerfall and Morrowind, the rich lore and morally ambiquous game world)

IcePuck said:
This is true, if you approach it like most games, and try to become as strong as you can. I found the gameplay to be fairly enjoyable and challenging, but I had to ramp the difficulty meter to the highest, and consciously avoided overusing certain skills (smithing/alchemy/echanting), as well as unfun tactics (like constantly going to the inventory to chug potions, or peppering monsters with arrows from unreachable rocks)... The game is a lot more fun when enemies can kill you in a (few) hit(s), you can't directly engage multiple opponents and have to use shouts and such to keep them at bay, or try to sneak around them, etc.

Basically, it's so much of a sandbox game, that you have to take responsibility of your own enjoyment. :griffnotevil: I've always loved TES games, but it's mostly the sheer scope and freedom of exploration/finding new places that I like so much... (And in Daggerfall and Morrowind, the rich lore and morally ambiquous game world)

I agree.

Just like in Fall Out 3/New Vegas I just up difficulty setting when the game loses its edge. To me at least it makes a world of difference. On normal setting I can be juggernaut just running in and swinging at everything with no remorse. Once I upped the difficulty my entire approach was forced to change. I went quickly to sneaking with a bow/knife getting 30X damage. It was damn near the only way to go. Using Magic? Forget it! :magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IcePuck said:
This is true, if you approach it like most games

It's also considerably harder if you play it with your feet instead of your hands. So yes, if you contort yourself to make it hard to play, it can be (like every other game out there). But it's artificial.

Top Bottom