The Hunt for Konami's Berserk Trading Card Game

Hey all,

Sykres here. I've been poking around this forum for a while and sent messages to some users here asking about Berserk TCG. Over the last year I've done a lot of work regarding cataloguing the card variations and tracking the market. I want to share some of the info I've gathered and documentation I've produced that may be useful for newer collectors landing here like I did when Googling for Berserk cards. Further below I'm also going to drop my list of individual cards and TCG products I'm still looking for.

Card SKU

All of my documentation uses a unique SKU code that combines the printed card number with the rarity and version.
  • Rarity Codes
    • Common =C
    • Uncommon = U
    • Rare = R
    • Super Rare = SR
    • Secret Rare = SEC
    • Promo = P
  • Version Codes
    • Basic = B
    • Gold = G
    • Foil = F
    • Alt Foil = AF
    • Alt Art = AA
For example, the regular version of BK1 38 is written as 'BK1-038-R-B', with R meaning 'Rare' and B meaning 'Basic'. The foil version is written as 'BK1-038-R-F', with F meaning 'Foil'. This lets us easily and quickly identify each card without needing additional info. Eventually, I intend to also add a "Miscut = M" amendment to aid in collecting the Miscut cards that Konami recalled (there is no confirmed list, but it seems the entirety of BK1 including foils can be found miscut).

Checklist

I developed this publicly available Google Sheet you can use to track your collection and even compare to other collections. The sheet features an individual row for each card SKU,. There are references images on most cards and around 1/3 of the cards have a decently translated card name (some cards have no name yet, and others have placeholder names describing the scene in the art).

Berserk TCG Checklist <- Link

There is a notes page describing how to use it.

Discord

The Berserk TCG Discord has around 40 users, with about 10 being regularly active members. We use this server to discus the market, facilitate sales & trades, and develop a full English conversion of the game (though this latter project no longer receives regular updates and needs a revival).

https://discord.gg/HYyvDJnJ <- Link

My Pricebook

My personal collection sheet. It features the same card SKUs, names, and other information found in the checklist, but goes further into detail with the card Color, Level, Types, Source, a Card Gallery, and most importantly the price history since I started collecting. The estimated values are intended to help me sell my duplicates, but others have used it to determine trade value and even sell their own cards.

Sykres's Berserk TCG Pricebook <- Link

The 'Read Me' tab explains a bit more about the sheet.

Looking For

Quick reference list of the cards I still need for my personal collection, as of this post. Please contact me if you have any of these willing to sell or trade away!

BERSERK (Secret Cards)BK1 (Volume 1)BK2 (Volume 2)BK3 (Volume 3)BK4 (Volume 4)BK4 (Volume 4)
BERSERK-01-SEC-FBK1-009-R-FBK2-04-R-FBK3-04-P-AABK4-02-P-FBK5-03-R-AF
BERSERK-02-SEC-BBK1-010-P-AABK2-05-R-FBK3-04-R-FBK4-03-SR-AFBK5-03-R-F
BERSERK-02-SEC-FBK1-012-R-FBK2-18-R-FBK3-05-R-FBK4-03-SR-BBK5-04-R-AF
BERSERK-03-SEC-BBK1-013-P-FBK2-32-R-FBK3-06-P-FBK4-03-SR-FBK5-04-R-B
BERSERK-03-SEC-FBK1-014-R-BBK2-62-R-FBK3-14-R-FBK4-04-R-AFBK5-04-R-F
BERSERK-04-SEC-BBK1-015-P-BBK3-15-P-FBK4-04-R-FBK5-05-SR-AF
BERSERK-04-SEC-FBK1-015-P-FBK3-18-R-FBK4-06-R-FBK5-05-SR-B
BERSERK-05-SEC-BBK1-016-R-FBK3-21-R-FBK4-07-R-AFBK5-05-SR-F
BERSERK-05-SEC-FBK1-018-R-FBK3-22-R-FBK4-07-R-FBK5-06-R-AF
BERSERK-06-SEC-BBK1-019-P-FBK3-23-P-FBK4-11-R-AFBK5-06-R-F
BERSERK-06-SEC-FBK1-020-R-BBK3-24-P-FBK4-11-R-BBK5-07-R-AF
BERSERK-07-SEC-BBK1-022-R-FBK3-25-R-FBK4-11-R-FBK5-07-R-F
BERSERK-07-SEC-FBK1-029-R-FBK3-26-P-FBK4-12-R-BBK5-08-R-AF
BERSERK-08-SEC-BBK1-030-P-FBK3-32-R-FBK4-12-R-FBK5-08-R-F
BERSERK-08-SEC-FBK1-038-R-BBK3-38-R-FBK4-13-R-AFBK5-20-R-AF
BERSERK-09-SEC-BBK1-044-P-AABK3-41-R-FBK4-13-R-FBK5-20-R-B
BERSERK-09-SEC-FBK1-044-R-FBK3-43-P-FBK4-16-P-FBK5-20-R-F
BERSERK-10-SEC-BBK1-045-R-FBK3-45-R-FBK4-23-SR-AFBK5-22-R-AF
BERSERK-10-SEC-FBK1-048-R-BBK3-50-P-FBK4-23-SR-BBK5-22-R-B
BERSERK-11-SEC-BBK1-048-R-FBK3-53-R-FBK4-23-SR-FBK5-22-R-F
BERSERK-11-SEC-FBK1-049-C-BBK3-54-R-FBK4-25-R-AFBK5-23-SR-AF
BERSERK-12-SEC-BBK1-049-P-FBK3-60-R-FBK4-25-R-BBK5-23-SR-B
BERSERK-12-SEC-FBK1-050-R-BBK3-62-R-FBK4-25-R-FBK5-23-SR-F
BERSERK-13-SEC-BBK1-050-R-FBK3-63-P-FBK4-26-P-FBK5-29-R-AF
BERSERK-13-SEC-FBK1-053-P-FBK4-28-R-AFBK5-29-R-B
BERSERK-14-SEC-BBK1-054-R-FBK4-28-R-BBK5-29-R-F
BERSERK-14-SEC-FBK1-056-R-FBK4-28-R-FBK5-30-R-AF
BERSERK-15-SEC-BBK1-061-R-BBK4-29-R-AFBK5-30-R-F
BERSERK-15-SEC-FBK1-061-R-FBK4-29-R-BBK5-32-R-AF
BERSERK-16-SEC-FBK1-064-P-BBK4-29-R-FBK5-32-R-F
BERSERK-17-SEC-BBK1-065-U-BBK4-30-R-AFBK5-34-R-AF
BERSERK-17-SEC-FBK1-071-P-FBK4-30-R-BBK5-34-R-B
BERSERK-18-SEC-BBK1-074-U-BBK4-30-R-FBK5-34-R-F
BERSERK-18-SEC-FBK1-101-R-FBK4-32-P-FBK5-36-R-AF
BERSERK-19-SEC-BBK1-102-R-BBK4-33-R-AFBK5-36-R-B
BERSERK-19-SEC-FBK1-102-R-FBK4-33-R-FBK5-36-R-F
BERSERK-20-SEC-BBK1-105-R-BBK4-36-P-FBK5-48-SR-AF
BERSERK-20-SEC-FBK1-106-R-BBK4-38-R-AFBK5-48-SR-B
BERSERK-21-SEC-BBK1-106-R-FBK4-38-R-FBK5-48-SR-F
BERSERK-21-SEC-FBK1-108-P-FBK4-40-P-FBK5-53-R-AF
BERSERK-22-SEC-BBK1-113-R-FBK4-47-R-AFBK5-53-R-B
BERSERK-22-SEC-FBK1-116-R-FBK4-47-R-FBK5-53-R-F
BERSERK-23-SEC-BBK1-117-P-BBK4-48-P-FBK5-54-R-AF
BERSERK-23-SEC-FBK1-120-P-FBK4-49-P-FBK5-54-R-B
BERSERK-24-SEC-BBK1-128-R-FBK4-51-SR-FBK5-54-R-F
BERSERK-24-SEC-FBK1-129-R-FBK4-52-R-AFBK5-58-R-AF
BERSERK-25-SEC-BBK1-130-R-BBK4-52-R-FBK5-58-R-B
BERSERK-25-SEC-FBK1-130-R-FBK4-53-R-AFBK5-58-R-F
BERSERK-26-SEC-BBK1-132-R-FBK4-53-R-FBK5-59-R-AF
BERSERK-26-SEC-FBK1-134-R-FBK4-54-R-FBK5-59-R-B
BERSERK-27-SEC-BBK1-136-R-BBK4-57-P-FBK5-59-R-F
BERSERK-27-SEC-FBK1-136-R-FBK4-59-R-AFBK5-60-R-AF
BERSERK-28-SEC-BBK1-137-P-FBK4-59-R-BBK5-60-R-B
BERSERK-28-SEC-FBK1-138-R-FBK4-59-R-FBK5-60-R-F
BK1-140-R-BBK4-63-SR-AFBK5-65-R-AF
BK1-140-R-FBK4-63-SR-FBK5-65-R-B
BK1-142-R-FBK4-64-R-AFBK5-65-R-F
BK1-144-P-FBK4-64-R-BBK5-66-SR-AF
BK1-149-P-FBK4-64-R-FBK5-66-SR-B
BK1-151-P-FBK4-65-R-FBK5-66-SR-F
BK1-152-P-FBK4-66-R-AFBK5-67-R-AF
BK1-158-R-BBK4-66-R-FBK5-67-R-B
BK1-159-P-BBK4-67-R-AFBK5-67-R-F
BK4-67-R-FBK5-68-R-AF
BK4-68-R-AFBK5-68-R-B
BK4-69-R-AFBK5-68-R-F
BK4-69-R-FBK5-74-R-AF
BK4-70-P-FBK5-74-R-B
BK5-74-R-F
BK5-75-R-AF
BK5-75-R-F
BK5-76-R-AF
BK5-76-R-B
BK5-76-R-F

Well, I think that's about it. Thanks for looking :serpico:

As far as "cataloguing the cards" goes, it seems you just siphoned off this website: http://berserk-tcg.net/
I listed it as a resource, yes. I've contributed there as well; you can find my name in their credits :smile:

But as for how much I "siphoned"? Nothing more than the old card scans, and I have a note saying I would remove them if the site owner asks me to. So no worries.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
But as for how much I "siphoned"? Nothing more than the old card scans, and I have a note saying I would remove them if the site owner asks me to. So no worries.

Oh, I'm not worried, but those photos are the core of your listing, since the rest merely describes what's on them (card number, rarity...), so I felt that I had to point it out. As for the disclaimer, it would have been more straightforward and honest to ask the guy directly beforehand, don't you think?

The prices are interesting, though I wonder how many data points they're really based on. Might be better to list those in there as well, just to reassure prospective traders that you're not trying to engineer a form of rudimentary market manipulation. That's my two cents at least.

Anyway, none of that concerns me much, however I noticed that you're also operating a website that sells unlicenced Berserk merchandise, and that's against our forum rules. I know it's just stickers but it starts with that, then hats and shirts and so on. So could you remove those links from your documents or not link to the documents in your post? Thanks.

Oh, I'm not worried, but those photos are the core of your listing, since the rest merely describes what's on them (card number, rarity...), so I felt that I had to point it out. As for the disclaimer, it would have been more straightforward and honest to ask the guy directly beforehand, don't you think?
I appreciate the criticism, I'll definitely keep working on this as intended. What other info do you think would be useful to put in? I thought about putting the source of the scene (i.e., volume, chapter, page #), but decided against it because it is far too much work for not much real value.

Regarding the images, berserk-tcg.net is the only source for card scans I know of. I downloaded the images, so they aren't linked. You're right that I never got explicit permission, but I've contacted Mikami a few times so they definitely know who I am and that I've used the images. I've been building my own set of higher resolution card scans, but unless someone here is willing to lend an entire completed collection for me to scan, it will likely never be finished sadly :shrug: Any ideas where else I could get a complete set of the card images? At least for my actual listings for sale on ebay and my website, those use my own scans exclusively, so I don't use the berserk-tcg scans for profit.

The prices are interesting, though I wonder how many data points they're really based on. Might be better to list those in there as well, just to reassure prospective traders that you're not trying to engineer a form of rudimentary market manipulation. That's my two cents at least.

You are always free to make a copy of the spreadsheet and expand the hidden columns to see all the data. I no longer provide a link to the listings etc where the prices are found, because it's just way too much to manage. After all, it's my personal pricebook that I've simply made visible to the public - if that isn't enough for someone to trust me, that's their prerogative. The data points are manually taken from eBay, mercari (JP and US), Yahoo, claim sales on Instagram, and private sales that other collectors have been willing to share with me. The prices taken from international sites have $8-$12 added to account for the unavoidable proxy fees and increased shipping prices. It's subjective, but it is after all again my personal pricebook and I only account for my own perspective as a US buyer.

During the current data collection period (every month ending on the 22nd), you can see each individual value entry. On the 22nd of each month, I put a static entry for the estimated value into a new column, which is then used in the future averages. There are not many data points because Berserk TCG is not exactly a frequently sold thing publicly. To help curb missing data, I gave each card a series of descriptors that are used to determine which other cards might be considered similar enough to derive value. For instance, if there are two Rare Foil cards from BK3 featuring "Highly Popular" character(s), and one of them has no recorded sales, then that card will take on the average estimated value of the most similar cards that do have recorded sales. The first tab of the pricebook explains this in a more concise way.

Right now, this mostly affects Super Rare Foils, Alt (Gacha) Foils, Alt Arts (box toppers), and all the Secret (full art) cards. Doing this also helps to normalize the estimated values over all cards as well, since in any given month there is a only a very small amount of data actually being collected. If more cards were actually being sold publicly, I would use a different approach based on frequency of sales, but it's just not the reality of the situation, so I've made these compromises. Basically, if there only two sales of a card made this month: one at $75 and one at $5, then I average that to $40 and then further average that number with the previous months. i.e. If last month's estimated value was $25, and this month's is $40, then the new actual estimate is $32.50.

I noticed that you're also operating a website that sells unlicenced Berserk merchandise, and that's against our forum rules. I know it's just stickers but it starts with that, then hats and shirts and so on. So could you remove those links from your documents or not link to the documents in your post? Thanks.
Fair enough, no argument here. Everyone has a different opinion about fanart (although my doodles could hardly be considered art, it's really jsut a vehicle for me to do the crafting part as I print and cut the cards myself at home). I removed the links from my documents to my website, so it just links to my ebay, where I currently only sell official products and nothing unlicensed.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Any ideas where else I could get a complete set of the card images?

Despite the game being long defunct I'm not very comfortable with the idea of just scanning everything and putting it online, so I can't help you with that, sorry.

You are always free to make a copy of the spreadsheet and expand the hidden columns to see all the data. I no longer provide a link to the listings etc where the prices are found, because it's just way too much to manage. After all, it's my personal pricebook that I've simply made visible to the public - if that isn't enough for someone to trust me, that's their prerogative.

Sure, I get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm just giving that feedback because it's what occurred to me when I looked at it. I personally haven't traded cards for many years so like I said it's not really of much concern to me, it's just that if you sell cards on your own web store and also provide a price listing used as a reference by others, all you're missing is a couple of friends to create an artificial market you completely control. It's actually happened many times before with coins, comic books, recently video games with the Wata bullshit... So I figured you might want to avoid giving off the wrong impression. But like you said, it's up to other prospective collectors to decide for themselves what prices suit them or not.

Fair enough, no argument here. Everyone has a different opinion about fanart (although my doodles could hardly be considered art, it's really jsut a vehicle for me to do the crafting part as I print and cut the cards myself at home). I removed the links from my documents to my website, so it just links to my ebay, where I currently only sell official products and nothing unlicensed.

Thanks.
thumbup.gif

Sure, I get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm just giving that feedback because it's what occurred to me when I looked at it. I personally haven't traded cards for many years so like I said it's not really of much concern to me, it's just that if you sell cards on your own web store and also provide a price listing used as a reference by others, all you're missing is a couple of friends to create an artificial market you completely control. It's actually happened many times before with coins, comic books, recently video games with the Wata bullshit... So I figured you might want to avoid giving off the wrong impression. But like you said, it's up to other prospective collectors to decide for themselves what prices suit them or not.
For sure, I understand. Same thing is happening with graded cards as well, it's just a huge speculative bubble with investors reselling the collectibles back and forth while regular everyday collectors are priced out of their hobby.

From my perspective, I'm the most transparent person dealing with Berserk TCG right now. I make everything I do public with IG posts, these documents, etc. It would be awesome if someone else made their own pricebook to compare against, but I think it's unlikely as I'm irregularly obsessed.

I think we tend to overestimate people's knowledge of the game. I get messages from longtime Berserk fans every week along the lines of "There's a Berserk TCG? How did I miss this?" People just don't know, and it's a shame because owning these cards is like owning a magnificent mini colored panel collection.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think we tend to overestimate people's knowledge of the game. I get messages from longtime Berserk fans every week along the lines of "There's a Berserk TCG? How did I miss this?" People just don't know, and it's a shame because owning these cards is like owning a magnificent mini colored panel collection.

Oh, don't worry, I never overestimate people's knowledge when it comes to Berserk. :iva: But yeah, it's great. I even liked the game itself. I'm probably one of the few people outside of Japan to have played it. I've talked about it a bit before, but I wish Hakusensha would licence a new, modern Berserk digital collectible card game. Would be relatively cheap to develop and easy to monetize, while also pleasing to the fans.

As for the art, fortunately with the Berserk exhibition there's now much better (and cheaper) ways for people to own the character portraits Miura did for the game. But of course, they're inaccessible to foreigners for now except through scalpers...

Oh, don't worry, I never overestimate people's knowledge when it comes to Berserk. :iva: But yeah, it's great. I even liked the game itself. I'm probably one of the few people outside of Japan to have played it. I've talked about it a bit before, but I wish Hakusensha would licence a new, modern Berserk digital collective card game. Would be relatively cheap to develop and easy to monetize, while also pleasing to the fans.

As for the art, fortunately with the Berserk exhibition there's now much better (and cheaper) ways for people to own the character portraits Miura did for the game. But of course, they're inaccessible to foreigners for now except through scalpers...

I wish someone would make a new card game for sure. I like digital games for playing, but the allure of collecting physical cards is much more appealing to me. Maybe in some fantasy universe Konami (or whoever holds the rights now) would hire people like me to localize a short English run. Hopefully some time down the line I'll have the Berserk TCG converted enough into English so more people can enjoy it, probably using Tabletop Simulator or something similar. Most of the groundwork is done, just need more card scans and some assistance with translating some card names and types. The actual game mechanics are easy to translate since it's all logical, but I've had to take liberties with card names and types. The quote section is the most difficult because I have to track down the most relevant quote near the original manga panel, it can be very time consuming Here's an example of two I made a couple months back.

TranslateTemplate-page001.jpeg
TranslateTemplate-page001.jpeg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe in some fantasy universe Konami (or whoever holds the rights now) would hire people like me to localize a short English run.

Yeah, Konami isn't in that business anymore and there wouldn't be enough money in it for them anyway. Also they tend to hire professional translators for localizations.

Hopefully some time down the line I'll have the Berserk TCG converted enough into English so more people can enjoy it, probably using Tabletop Simulator or something similar.

I have to remind you that this sort of stuff isn't allowed here. :azan:

Top Bottom