The Interview

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Sounds like this is turning into Snakes on a Plane 2.

Yeah, after all the hype and hand-wringing, now nobody's going to go see it.

Walter said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssss........! Wait, did people actually want to see this?

Now that I actually can...? Naaah. :ganishka:

What will stick with me, other than this somehow becoming a continuing international incident that may or may not have actually had anything to to with North Korea or The Interview (the evidence isn't exactly concrete), is how ridiculously Sony mishandled this; from spinning a hack of their Swiss cheese security into the worst "cyber terrorism" ever, to their insane capitulation to seemingly every and any demand from guys on the Internet in the face of ridiculous threats there was clearly no credible capacity for (essentially, every theater that shows the movie would be destroyed via the guys that read your email, uh huh). They just seem like the most spineless weasels ever, right up to the point their US CEO puts the blame on everyone else but them and says, "no mistakes were made... except by the public, the press and the President" (FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOUUUU). Finally, they blew the wildest free publicity campaign anyone's ever seen by pulling out, and now they're saying they never caved as they completely reverse course. If they're attitude had rightly been, "we're not stopping the movie over bogus e-threats" from the start, they might have at least had a silver lining in the way of making some money on it (now, after all this, I don't even think I want them to). Instead it's a bit too little, too late now and I feel ambivalent, though I may see it just because it's undeniably a film of significance, at least of the historical footnote variety, as crazy as that is.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I haven't been following this whole thing very closely, but it's funny because before any of this happened I already didn't want to see this movie (another Franco/Rogen comedy). But then Sony pulled the movie over threats from North Korea and suddenly it was like Griffith said, I wanted to see it just because it's the forbidden fruit. But now they ARE releasing it and Sony not only flip flopped but they also look like cowards for pulling it in the first place and I'm back to my original stance. This movie looks stupid and I don't plan on seeing it in theaters and Sony just comes out looking weak and pathetic. Whoever said bad press is good press didn't work at Sony. This movie is going to bomb anyway despite all this :ganishka:

Griffith said:
Yeah, after all the hype and hand-wringing, now nobody's going to go see it.

What will stick with me, other than this somehow becoming a continuing international incident that may or may not have actually had anything to to with North Korea or The Interview (the evidence isn't exactly concrete), is how ridiculously Sony mishandled this

I think it was just a really bad coincidence that Sony got hacked at the same time N Korea got pissy about The Interview. I don't know, it's not concrete.

Johnstantine said:
Same thing happened with South Park censoring those two episodes that didn't even have Muhammed in them.

That was a little different because Matt Stone and Trey Parker willingly censored their own episode at the last minute out of respect for comedy central studios, which was receiving threats at the time. It's cool because Comedy Central backed South Park and told them that they could go through with it if they wanted to. But it was them that decided against it.

I don't care what they do with this movie, as long as Franco doesn't mess up the disaster artist, that movie needs to be good!
:carcus: Who else here thinks Corkus looks like Tommy Wiseau?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So now this movie is the cause of an international incident AND a test case for simutanios theatrical and VOD release of a major studio picture? I wonder if the theaters will come to regret backing out at Sony's urging, and now they probably won't support wider release but either way it gives VOD platforms the chance to shine that theater chains have otherwise tried to deny them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Interesting interview regarding the Sony Hack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpG4EQ5sLBA

Rogers mentions that the malware had hard coded file paths suggesting that the hacker(s) had extensive insider knowledge of Sony's infrastructure.

Yep. Aaz had shared this with me a few weeks back: http://marcrogers.org/2014/12/18/why-the-sony-hack-is-unlikely-to-be-the-work-of-north-korea/

"It’s clear from the hard-coded paths and passwords in the malware that whoever wrote it had extensive knowledge of Sony’s internal architecture and access to key passwords. While it’s plausible that an attacker could have built up this knowledge over time and then used it to make the malware, Occam’s razor suggests the simpler explanation of an insider. It also fits with the pure revenge tact that this started out as."

This potentially being an insider job isn't that surprising, really. It also doesn't mean Sony orchestrated it. Just that someone with intimate knowledge of the network either acted against the company or shared that level of access. Or myriad other possibilities.

Top Bottom