THE POWERS COSMIC

CnC

Ad Oculos
I gotta say I'm stoked. I thought the last one wasn't all that impressive, but introducing the Silver Surfer (and maybe Galactus?) would be just the right move to make.

Plus this is a great trailer. No real spoilers, just a good chase. Kudos on that alone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've read (I believe it was on aintitcool, the most RELIABLE source for nerdy movies!) that the Silver Surfer will be portrayed in a negative light in this movie - a true herald of Galactus, a guy who makes snack cakes of solar systems.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I saw it yesterday (I think?) and yeah, it's pretty cool. Didn't see the first movie and I heard it sucked, but that trailer is hard to dismiss. The Silver Surfer has always been a huge badass and that part of the Fantastic Four's storyline is definitely one of the best, so it got me interested.

EDIT:
Walter said:
I've read (I believe it was on aintitcool, the most RELIABLE source for nerdy movies!) that the Silver Surfer will be portrayed in a negative light in this movie - a true herald of Galactus, a guy who makes snack cakes of solar systems.

What? He won't side with the good guys at the end? Man that'd suck.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:

He has to portray himself like that initially, if galactus makes an appearance. I think if they play their cards right the surfer could really carry the movie. His potential for character development is pretty high. Hope they get it right. I could easily see anticipating this over Spidey 3. We'll see.

Aazealh said:
Didn't see the first movie and I heard it sucked

Well, I'll put it this way: If you could buy that Jessica Alba is a physicist, then the rest of the movie is cake. I _really_ wish they had stuck to some relatively unknown for that part. Plus they should have made the Thing CG, as he looks like Foam-Rubber man.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Should be interesting.  They could certainly start with a desensitised, bastardy Surfer and have him rediscover his humanity over the course of the movie...  but since hes heralding will they try and squeeze Galactus in this movie or a 3rd? It'll be interesting to see their take on Galaktus.

I was particularly fond of that look-behind-me-by-merging-through-the-board thing he did.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well, I'll put it this way: If you could buy that Jessica Alba is a physicist, then the rest of the movie is cake. I _really_ wish they had stuck to some relatively unknown for that part. Plus they should have made the Thing CG, as he looks like Foam-Rubber man.

Well I saw the movie, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Jessica Alba can have me buy anything (:carcus:) so that wasn't a problem, but I did need a couple of minutes to get over the fact Dr Doom was the guy from Nip/Tuck. Overall I found it entertaining and well done considering what it tried to do, and I liked it better than the two Spiderman movies (for comparison). So now I'm really anticipating this sequel.

Wow you liked FF more than the Spiderman movies? I never quite got over the fact that they werent really like the real FF aside from that stupid montage... and man did Dr. Doom suck.

Though the teaser did look pretty bad ass, from what I'm hearing at aintitcool, they might lead into a third movie where, like the comics, Dr Doom steals Galactus's power for himself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Jessica Alba can have me buy anything (:carcus:) so that wasn't a problem

Well my analogy stands true then. I never really watched Nip/Tuck so I didn't have a problem with that guy (but Doom somehow developing electro powers was wierd).

Saying its better than both of the spiderman movies is a stretch, for me.

Still hyped for the sequel, tho.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Wow you liked FF more than the Spiderman movies? I never quite got over the fact that they werent really like the real FF aside from that stupid montage... and man did Dr. Doom suck.

Yeah, I think it's mostly because the movie doesn't take itself seriously. It's not trying to be more than just lighthearted entertainment. Of course it doesn't follow the original story closely, but then again neither did the Spiderman flicks, nor any other comic book adaptation so far. The negative hype vs positive hype might also have played a role in how I viewed each movie respectively, I'm not sure.

HawaiianStallion said:
Though the teaser did look pretty bad ass, from what I'm hearing at aintitcool, they might lead into a third movie where, like the comics, Dr Doom steals Galactus's power for himself.

Hmm, well if a real serious effort (and budget with Galactus and all) goes into it why not I guess... But man, Marvel sure is on a roll these days, these adaptations never stop coming.

CnC said:
Saying its better than both of the spiderman movies is a stretch, for me.

Well I'm not saying it's objectively better, just that I enjoyed it more for some reason. The state of mind I was in could have played a role or something, but in any case I'm not going to try to rationalize it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Well I saw the movie, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Jessica Alba can have me buy anything (:carcus:) so that wasn't a problem, but I did need a couple of minutes to get over the fact Dr Doom was the guy from Nip/Tuck. Overall I found it entertaining and well done considering what it tried to do, and I liked it better than the two Spiderman movies (for comparison). So now I'm really anticipating this sequel.

Hmmm, never saw this one in theaters but I may give it a shot when I rent some movies this weekend. The fact that you liked it better than the Spider-Man movies intrigues me. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Hmmm, never saw this one in theaters but I may give it a shot when I rent some movies this weekend. The fact that you liked it better than the Spider-Man movies intrigues me. :void:

Haha alright, but don't expect too much then. I mean I stand by my opinion but I've never been a big fan of the Spidey movies in the first place, so I'm kind of a special case. I really don't expect others to agree with me on this specific matter. I'll just quote JIN and say that it's "not as bad as Daredevil." It's an entertaining summer flick to watch on a sunday afternoon.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I really don't expect others to agree with me on this specific matter. I'll just quote JIN and say that it's "not as bad as Daredevil." It's an entertaining summer flick to watch on a sunday afternoon.

I'll agree with that. But a whole lot would be better than Daredevil.

Even _I_ think I could probably take Ben Affleck in a fight.

A blind Ben Affleck none the less.

I liked the first FF, partly because it didn't follow the story. I've been a comic fan for years, and was a little tired of how they keep retreading those origin stories. My only real compliant was Doom, and in that, only his voice. He just didn't sound like Doom.

Top Bottom