The terrorists have finally won!

Captain America is dead...Can't say I read the comics, but as a Marvel fan it was somewhat surprising.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17499797/

CnC

Ad Oculos
bph said:
Captain America is dead...Can't say I read the comics, but as a Marvel fan it was somewhat surprising.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17499797/

Yea yea.. Superman's also dead and Batman's back has been broken.

Its an interesting ending to the Civil War series but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of "resurrection" or replacement eventually.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, sniper shot seems like a pretty lame way to go... Next in line: The Hulk dies from food poisoning.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Yeah, sniper shot seems like a pretty lame way to go... Next in line: The Hulk dies from food poisoning.
I dunno, I thought it was pretty fitting for one of "America's" [fictional] leaders.

But I agree, for a comic book, it's a pretty anti-climactic end, considering all the shit he's been through... I mean he was in World War II and who knows what other superhero bullshit since.

For all you comic nerds out there, this is the traditional Marvel timeline, correct? I assume ULTIMATES Cap is still around.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
From what I understand, Ultimate Cap is still around, but the guys at Marvel have gone on record saying he WILL NEVER RETURN (ominous drum roll) in the tradtional Marvel universe.

We'll see how long that lasts.

I for one thought it was a interesting way to go, and is a comment on how the old values and ideas of America, everything capt. America (still) stood for is most definately, dead.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
But I agree, for a comic book, it's a pretty anti-climactic end, considering all the shit he's been through... I mean he was in World War II and who knows what other superhero bullshit since.

Yeah... It just seems to be a very non-epic death to me. But maybe that was the point.

Walter said:
For all you comic nerds out there, this is the traditional Marvel timeline, correct? I assume ULTIMATES Cap is still around.

You bet, the French-dissing version can't die.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
That's what I meant, it was supposed to be a meaningless death. But I'm probably giving them too much credit.

Yeah, Ultimate Cap is a tool! Maybe he'll get better.

Bah. Its just evolving to the big screen like all the other comic book stories with it.

"In the comic-book universe, death is not always final. But even if Captain America turns out to have met his end in print, he may not disappear entirely: Marvel has said it is developing a Captain America movie."

Besides, a real captain america has emerged!

s011547A.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
... Are we supposed to know who that is? I don't keep up with breaking news in sports where people kick each other in the head until they fall down, unconscious. And that's the kind of occasion this guy looks dressed to go to.

Walter said:
... Are we supposed to know who that is? I don't keep up with breaking news in sports where people kick each other in the head until they fall down, unconscious. And that's the kind of occasion this guy looks dressed to go to.

:isidro: Its Randy Couture, nicknamed captain america, known to still kick people's asses at 42 years old in the UFC.

Stan Lee and Quesada just weighed in on the subject, it's a relatively interesting read: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17534644/site/newsweek/

This is why I stopped reading continuations of comics, well, that and a lack of money to fund 10 different series for $30-$50 a month. Superman,Batman,Captain America-Fantastic Four-Hulk-Iron Man-Doctor Doom (see Onslaught) Aunt May...they all "die" only to be resurrected, sometimes in the most stupid of ways (...Aunt May. Such a good death, but let's say she was just an actress, not the real one. Yeah.)

Not only does it ruin the possible impact of the death no matter how well written, you lose a connection to the character. Its bad enough knowing that the "good" heroes of fiction can't possibly "lose" in an eternal sense, but to add cheating actual death? It makes their returns completely null. It just reminds you of the typical "I'm really gonna kill myself now, Really!"

As for the topic...again, "HEADSHOT"...not exactly what I would call a perfect send off. Wolverine's already invincible to nuclear weapons, its nice to see that apparently all it takes to off half a century old comic icons is a bullet to the head.

Top Bottom