The Thread of Zelda

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Gamehowitzer said:
I totally agree with you that they look the best, however for some reason Zelda's voice actor just kind of bothers me. I feel like the voice just doesn't fit. I mean i get that they're trying to make her sound refined and regal (maybe not idk) but the way some of the lines are coupled with the accent just bothers me a little bit.

For the record, I think Skyward Zelda is way cuter, and Godlier to boot. :carcus: As for her voice here, it's not just the accent or your ear, there's some suspect VA work in this game, Zelda chief among them, and Mipha too (maybe the same actress). Sometimes they're alright, but they just sound so thin and unsure otherwise it seems more like it's the voice actor rather than an intentional part of the performance (but sometimes that "amateur quality" does work in favor of the "realness" of scenes because it's not like it's Shakespeare anyway =). I think Nintendo is still figuring this out beyond grunts, gibberish, and "It's a me, Mario!"

MrFlibble said:
I was apprehensive when they stated it was going to be open world, since MGS5 botched the concept completely, but it really works with Zelda, I’ve always wanted a Hyrule that felt as vast as I imagined it to be when I was younger.

I'm gonna have to sorta disagree with you there; it was unornadox for sure, but were you not entertained? I don't think the consensus was the game was botched either... well, at least not the core gameplay! =)

MrFlibble said:
I was hoping for a more interesting story, given the post apocalyptic mystery box template they were teasing, unfortunately the story plays out exactly how you’d expect it to

God damn it, I forgot when I quote spoilered posts I can SEE the text, I don't think I saw anything I didn't know already though. :ganishka: Anyway, yeah, there was a time there in the middle when it seemed it could be a bit more novel, but it's ultimately nothing special, a little remix of the main "Legend" tropes and ideas from previous games. I do think it has a decent balance of classic Zelda medieval fantasy, more SS-style mythology, the WW post-apocalyptic self-awareness, and just plain weirdness
; we're going to fight Ganon with giant mechs this time, and it's apparently a 10,000 year old tradition
. One thing that is great about the story is how it actually serves the open game design very organically and coherently, which can be an underrated part of gaming story-crafting. Too often I think we look at them as separate but tacked together elements, "are there great cut scenes between the game parts!?" and never the twain shall meet.

MrFlibble said:
As great as the games selection of overworld mini bosses and enemies are, I’m disappointed they didn’t include Poes, Darknuts, or my personal favourite ; Re deads.

I agree in principle, I always want more, not less, but to be honest I didn't even notice their absence until you pointed it out.

MrFlibble said:
The dungeon bosses are decent, but I wish they more more distinct, I would have preferred the bosses be designed like various fantasy monsters like they’ve always done

Again I tend to agree, but as you say that's what they've always done, and this being a bit different and serving the game better overall, if you tried rushing the boss you'll know what I mean, works for this (a little bit of cleverness covers a lot of sins with me). It's like the idea of "don't give the audience what they want, but what you think they need" (or don't know that they want, but YMMV here). Actually, the style isn't unprecedented either as it kind of reminds me of at least one previous Zelda game
, Majora's Mask

MrFlibble said:
The combat is a little jarring, but what really makes it frustrating is that the control layout is different from ususal 3d Zelda games, and they don’t give you the option of changing the controls, so my muscle memory is at constant war with the part of my brain trying to figure out these new controls.

Yeah, there's a few hour learning curve, at least, though I found switching the jump button does put things in more proper order, especially for combat and particularly running quick strikes.

MrFlibble said:
I’m really surprised by how difficult this game is, it’s almost as hard as Majoras Mask, they went from the overbearing coddling of Skyward Sword to “Here is a club that will break in 3 hits, go anywhere you want, have fun getting your ass kicked by bog standard nuisance enemies, and if you so much as think of rushing straight to the final stage prepare to get vaporised by a bivouac of steampunk tank robots.”.

Well, you kind of have to do that if one's able to rush the boss in the first place, and even still there's people beating it in under an hour now! Even I got through 3.5 bosses in my little run (and, a little sadly, I'm at the point now where I'm taking Guardians' lunch money whenever I see them and they should run from me =). On the whole I think the difficulty is nicely balanced so you'll die a lot, but it's not too penalizing and you can simply learn from your mistakes and try, try again. It's never particularly daunting like Dark Souls or something. Actually it reminds me a bit of ALttP, that game wasn't a cakewalk, you could die easily enough if you're not paying attention, but it wasn't super difficult either. You just needed to be focused and engaged, which is the point and a fun and fair balance as opposed to it being ridiculously hard like LoZ/AoL or ridiculously easy like the latter 3D entries.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just a brief check-in: I've had to restrain myself from playing the game, because I've been clocking in about 5h each night since I got it, and as a dad, I only really have about 2h of "free time." Meaning, I was staying up until 2-3am, then waking up with my kid at 7am, for a good 4 days straight.

Sleep deprivation aside, I regret nothing. Having an absolute blast. The game is a huge accomplishment. Exploring it feels like the world I had in my head when playing through the first two Zeldas. That sense of discovery around every corner, and how the different systems interact with each other (in Zelda 1, it was the ability to blow holes in walls, in BotW, it's like... fucking everything), leads to some new experience, or at least a variation on that experience, every few moments.

My only criticism so far is reserved for a certain forested portion of the game —
the goddamned Korok Trials. I feel like the designers operated from a completely different philosophy here. The rest of the game feels wide open, with endless possibilities on your approach, but that portion forces you down a very narrow, boring pathway, with multiple possible points of failure. In the end, for 2/3 of them I still ended up succeeding by subverting the rules, but that came mostly out of frustration at failing instead of playful experimentation. Which is really too bad, because I was very much looking forward to that area, and it turned out to be a big bummer for me.

Griffith

Walter said:
Just a brief check-in: I've had to restrain myself from playing the game, because I've been clocking in about 5h each night since I got it, and as a dad, I only really have about 2h of "free time." Meaning, I was staying up until 2-3am, then waking up with my kid at 7am, for a good 4 days straight.

I've been doing the non-dad equivalent, going to bed at 2 or 3am, getting up at 6am for work, bleagh, repeat until passing out from exhaustion since it came out (I was actually a bit more moderate the first few days). You can get CAUGHT UP in this world, and it came to a head this weekend when my wife went out for a bachelorette party and I played from about 6pm when she left until finally going to bed at 8am, exhausted and ashamed. =) I didn't even advance the story that much, only did one temple, but was just general exploring, questing, hunting, grinding, upgrading (I got a bit obsessed aquiring a key item that required a lot of shrines). This is not the norm as I'm usually very goal oriented, get in, beat it, get out, but on the contrary I'm actively holding back and fucking around with everything else the game has to offer first to extend my play time, which is a little scary to me (hell, I only did the temple for the heart =).

Sleep deprivation aside, I regret nothing. Having an absolute blast. The game is a huge accomplishment. It feels like the game world I had in my head when playing through the first two Zeldas.

Agree totally, I wouldn't be playing it like I described above, like one of my favorite games, if it wasn't that damn good and fun all over, and in mutiple ways simultaneously. It continues moving up in the Zelda pantheon in my mind; a few days ago I was thinking top five at least (LoZ, ALttP, Oot, WW, BotW), but that was easy, now I'm considering top three, and that's where the untouchables (LoZ, ALttP, OoT) reside... :magni:

My only criticism so far is reserved for a certain forested portion of the game

Yeah...
the Lost Woods suck as ever.
They know it too, "You don't look thrilled."

My biggest criticism though stems from my suspicion that they removed Wii U touch controls/maps precisely because of how great it could have been so it wouldn't undermine the Switch version further, which I get, but still sucks. Hey, even if that made the Wii U version the definitive one, I still couldn't play it at a hip rooftop social gathering. =)

Griffith

Walter said:
Damn... I'll need to reserve a good 1h on the next podcast for Zelda, won't I? :ganishka:

Yeah, and I need to quit the leisurely pace anyway and just hunker down and finish it because this lifestyle is killing me (and I'm tired of avoiding spoiler content =). I'll see if it still keeps me hooked after that, but hopefully in less intense fashion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, and I need to quit the leisurely pace anyway and just hunker down and finish it

That's actually the exact opposite of what my approach has been so far. I've intentionally limited my exploration to the eastern half of the map, so I can mentally reserve "half" the game for later. And I don't intend to venture into Hyrule Castle until I feel properly "ready" to start the beginning of the end.

In any case, I got pretty close to the castle
in the process of acquiring memories and got utterly fucked by Guardians, so clearly I'm not ready.

Griffith

Walter said:
That's actually the exact opposite of what my approach has been so far. I've intentionally limited my exploration to the eastern half of the map, so I can mentally reserve "half" the game for later. And I don't intend to venture into Hyrule Castle until I feel properly "ready" to start the beginning of the end.

That's more or less how I've been doing it too, actively subverting the advancement of the main game from the start really, but I'm not adult enough to moderate my playtime and am lowering my quality of life otherwise, so I need to free myself, oh and Hyrule, from Ganon's clutches! At least a little. :ganishka:

I'm actually pretty close too given just how much time I've spent subverting, 3/4th's of the way there in a very literal sense. :carcus:

In any case, I got pretty close to the castle
in the process of acquiring memories and got utterly fucked by Guardians, so clearly I'm not ready.

You're ready, you just don't know it yet! :guts: The first one I ran at instead of away from and won was fully mobile actually, but I think I wedged him a bit on an island in a shallow swamp so he couldn't string me out and obliterate me (I was holding onto some pretty heavy duty weaponry at the time too). I didn't realize that though, so thinking it was relatively easy I tried fucking with the next one out in the open and got burnt to a crisp. This ultimately lead to my "scratch free" strategy, if you're ready to hunt the hunters:
make them come to you, get behind a large object, a thick tree, tall wall, or a Guardian ruin is ironically ideal, that'll break their aim and take their fire, then when they try to come around time stop them for a second and use the opening and go after their leg(s). Busting one leg will give you an opening to hit the next etc etc, reset and repeat as needed until they're dead. Having a good weapon, particularly one requiring a lot of heart, will make this almost too easy. =)[/quote]

I think those little Korok jerks are working with Ganon, always distracting me with their stupid games and making me go off course.

Well if your'e looking to hunt the hunters as you put it:
my personal preference is to Ride in on my horse, and just start wacking them while trotting around them. Im pretty far in though with most of the weapons i'm finding being 30+ damage. or if you go in on foot just pop a quick arrow in the eye and proceed to take out the legs. if you need time to aim shoot a fire arrow down and proceed to take advantage of the paraglider to dodge a laser or slow time and aim another arrow at its eye. or you could just hide and chuck bombs at them like i did my first time :guts:

Griffith

Sareth said:
I think those little Korok jerks are working with Ganon, always distracting me with their stupid games and making me go off course.

Solid theory, and I finally invested in something other than weapon slots the other day (because it was like 1 seed, as opposed to a dozen, to carry a 5th shield and I was gathering ancient gear)!

Gamehowitzer said:
Well if your'e looking to hunt the hunters as you put it:
my personal preference is to Ride in on my horse, and just start wacking them while trotting around them. Im pretty far in though with most of the weapons i'm finding being 30+ damage. or if you go in on foot just pop a quick arrow in the eye and proceed to take out the legs. if you need time to aim shoot a fire arrow down and proceed to take advantage of the paraglider to dodge a laser or slow time and aim another arrow at its eye. or you could just hide and chuck bombs at them like i did my first time :guts:

Well, mine was a relatively safe and simple method, but if you want to do it fast and in style I like a combination of the techniques you highlight:
ride up on them, jump off your horse, draw your bow in slo-mo, hit 'em in the eye and then hack 'em to death before they know what hit 'em (and you always have time stop/lightning if things go haywire). Speaking of high level weapons, you can basically roll with ++ ancient gear all day by revisiting all the Major Test of Strength shrines after every Blood Moon. Using the Master Sword it won't even cost you any weapons in the process and while it's recharging you've got an armory of ancient stuff just as strong in the meantime! Also, I found a Royal Claymore location on top of the stone structure of Woodland Tower; that's an easy way to grab a 52 dmg weapon. :isidro:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
You're ready, you just don't know it yet! :guts: The first one I ran at instead of away from and won was fully mobile actually, but I think I wedged him a bit on an island in a shallow swamp so he couldn't string me out and obliterate me (I was holding onto some pretty heavy duty weaponry at the time too). I didn't realize that though, so thinking it was relatively easy I tried fucking with the next one out in the open and got burnt to a crisp. This ultimately lead to my "scratch free" strategy, if you're ready to hunt the hunters:
make them come to you, get behind a large object, a thick tree, tall wall, or a Guardian ruin is ironically ideal, that'll break their aim and take their fire, then when they try to come around time stop them for a second and use the opening and go after their leg(s). Busting one leg will give you an opening to hit the next etc etc, reset and repeat as needed until they're dead. Having a good weapon, particularly one requiring a lot of heart, will make this almost too easy. =)
Or you could just wait for them to charge up their beam and you could parry with your shield. It deflects the beam back to them and should work after three or so. You can use any shield.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Or you could just wait for them to charge up their beam and you could parry with your shield. It deflects the beam back to them and should work after three or so. You can use any shield.

Thanks for the tip (I only used Guardian shields to absorb the beam, and never thought to parry)! Damn, I bet I already have the timing down from all that last second jumping to avoid the blast from early on. The game continues to astonish. =)

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Thanks for the tip (I only used Guardian shields to absorb the beam, and never thought to parry)! Damn, I bet I already have the timing down from all that last second jumping to avoid the blast from early on. The game continues to astonish. =)

This is coming from someone who was so god damn annoyed with them that I was finally like "fuck this" and wanted to kill them all.

Griffith

I'm afraid I may have miscalculated my plans to draw back BotW play time by finishing the main quests because I simply enjoy the fucking around more. I did my last story quest yesterday before the final boss, which felt obligatory and made me think it's time anyway, but then last night when I was small screening it in bed, so not finishing the game then, I end up playing 3 hours longer than I wanted to doing nothing in particular, and loving it! As a matter of fact, I can't wait to be done with the story, and spoilerly, parts so I can completely focus on and dive into everything else in the world. I'm doomed. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I can relate -- I'm a little more than 25 hours into the game right now, and I haven't done any real story quests yet (and still only discovered half of the map -- I've just been exploring the areas I've already uncovered via towers). I just don't want the game to end. And I'm afraid that after I start down the story path, I'll end up building momentum to finish it up.

Now, take all of that big talk and throw it away, because I quite literally stumbled my way into Hyrule Castle last night ( :ganishka: ) ,
while trying to find one of the memories that's closest to the castle. I was avoiding a Guardian, and ended up falling into the moat. Then, I found an opening into the castle, and the awesome music started playing. So I figured why not see how far I could make it into the castle itself. Turns out pretty far, even with just 7 heart containers. I chose to turn back after I felt I was getting somewhere close to the halfway point (you'll get a sense of it once you're near). Afterall, I don't even have the Master Sword yet. What was I going to do, use my soup spoon against Ganon?

So yeah, avoiding story quests while simultaneously bumbling my way into the final dungeon. That's me. :void:

Griffith

Walter said:
I can relate -- I'm a little more than 25 hours into the game right now, and I haven't done any real story quests yet (and still only discovered half of the map -- I've just been exploring the areas I've already uncovered via towers). I just don't want the game to end, so I'm doing as much as I can to balance having fun with not progressing.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to look things up once I "beat the game" or still keep a moratorium on that and just keep exploring (I'm pretty sure I'm leaning the latter way, with maybe I couple exceptions =).

Like: http://kotaku.com/how-to-build-an-airship-in-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1793370556

And according to the comments you can drive the rafts around using a metal object and magnesis!
Despite how much fun I'm having this game keeps making make me feel like I'm still not playing it right. Nintendo took off the handcuffs, but not in my head. I'm still playing largely within normal Zelda parameters.

That being said, I quite literally stumbled my way into Hyrule Castle last night,
while trying to find one of the memories that's closest to the castle. And once I found an opening, the awesome music started playing. So I figured why not see how far I could make it into the castle itself. Turns out pretty far, even with just 7 heart containers. I chose to turn back after I felt I was getting somewhere close to the halfway point (you'll get a sense of it once you're near). Afterall, I don't even have the Master Sword yet. What was I going to do, use my soup spoon against Ganon?

I actually got that memory last night, and had the same experience my first time exploring the castle, surprised how far I could get because there was no artificial barriers one can't get around with a little ingenuity, practice, and a lot of deaths (can't fight something waiting for you in a room? Literally climb over that room! =). Oh, but there's plenty of weapons on site to use against the weaker enemies and even Ganon, the problem is they'll all break before he does! :ganishka:

One last story: My totally game-deficient wife killed a Guardian last night! It took
Mipha's Grace
, a lot of fairies (all of mine as a matter of fact :puck:), and a lot of yelling, but she did it! It makes me sad because it really just means my Link is overpowered (there's little way around it once you do the main quests either, unless you just don't upgrade hearts or armor). I was actually researching buying the DLC hard mode and considering starting over with it but I guess that's not an option yet...

BTW, best armor in the game is the
Soldier's Gear
, right? You get pointed to it super early and it's relatively cheap/easy to upgrade. By the time you upgrade it 3 times you don't need any special resistances so the much more costly specialized high end armors are far more inefficient. Currently rocking
a Hero's tunic, Soldier helm, and Ancient Greaves,
all 3x upgraded, so when I can wear them I'm not even worried about damage anymore.

BTW Wally, that might be a reason for you to consider weaving in some main quests/bosses before you pass them by (and defeating them carries unique rewards that aid in exploration as well).

Update: https://youtu.be/a2qalbhz-_Q

Review Update:
(I'm going to talk about the game in a familiar way, but I'm not giving any major specifics away)

Pros: All of it? :guts: Just kidding, I'll try to be more specific, but I think that will come more easily to the con section because there's honestly so much good it's just easier to list the bad. For one thing, it fixes Zelda! Even if you didn't think it was that broken. Awesome and engaging open world Hyrule with almost complete freedom to explore every inch of it, and a quantity AND quality ratio rarely, if ever, seen for a game world of this size. Basically, a modern open world game with Nintendo's charming fingerprints all over it, instead of those fingers squeezing the life out of a more tightly controlled experience.

Some specifics...

Climbing: This is pretty much what changes the way you play Zelda. It's also a very natural and simple climbing mechanic. At first it seems to easy, but it's also nice to be able to do it like most actions without having to hold down a special button and accidentally falling off or something. Anyway, it would be hard to go back to climbing vines or looking for hookshot targets without feeling like it's broken (though they do make you do just that for the dungeons... I guess climbing only ruins obstacle based puzzling =).

Combat: The combat is another case where it seems simple at first but you'll soon come to recognize the nuance and versatility available to you, especially when things go haywire and you have to improvise. Definitely switch the sprint and jump buttons so you can more intuitively execute running attacks or cancel your bow. The common bitch here is the durability of weapons, or lack thereof, but that basically boils down to: I want to play it like every other game and this is different, or I want to hoard shit. My answer is it is at no time a real hindrance and basically the extremity of it is what makes it truly different and forces you to play differently in response, plus there's still plenty of shit to collect and hoard. Also, if you embrace this instead of fighting against it, I found it a relief not to have to worry about falling in love with or coveting weapons because they weren't going to last; don't save anything for the end because it won't last and you need room for the next thing, so use what you got and get something better! Thoroughly enjoyable if you don't try to play it like a traditional game in this regard when it's not. Also, there IS a prominent escape hatch if you really can't stand it, but by that point you should have plenty to work with.

Art: The art style is like Miyamoto meets Miyazaki, and pretty perfectly blends the more hard fantasy and cartoony styles of Zelda; much better than the compromised style of SS, this just works whether it's funny, quirky character designs or gorgeous, hyper-realistic vistas.

Music: Effectively minimalist, which makes for some nice quiet moments alone in this great big world, but it's not hard to imagine them being able to do something more memorable than smooth piano arrangements of the classics. I can't really think of an original tune from the game save for the tickling of the ivories you hear when a Guardian has you in it's sights, which is still chilling. But it's a far cry from the days of OoT essentially giving you a functioning musical instrument and teaching you to play it or Wind Waker's peerlessly evocative score, including musical cues for when there's an enemy nearby, the enemy sees/engages you, the string section coming in when/if you pull your sword, and musical hits for every successful attack and a crescendo and final victory sound upon conclusion. But, you know, the little fight bell in this one is cute. =)

In summation, it has highly addictive gameplay regardless of story progression (I beat it twice and can still go for hours at a time, oh yeah =). It's hard not to speak of those positives in generalities and superlatives though because of how wide open it is, and because that's where its strengths lie, and vice versa...

Cons: Some world building details and plot is ultimately pretty underwhelming, and what parts of the story were promising aren't really paid off well (the "good" ending is worse than the regular one =); simply put, the story works best as a setup for this world but isn't really worthy of it. None of the main characters are among their best incarnations, and the main supporting cast are just a bunch of stereotypes (the cool big dude, the arrogant showoff, the competent woman warrior, the loving healer, etc). The only exception are the characters inhabiting the world, which are consistently interesting or at least to the point with useful information or quests.

I was worried all this love for the game was going to go down with the story if it began to sink, like Skyward Sword, and it did sink, in no small part because I happened to do the most interesting story part first. But, it ultimately didn't matter because the fun of the game experience isn't so wed to your progression like recent Zeldas (which is a good change because I don't think they've got anything amazing story-wise up their sleeve). So, even though my story progress became increasingly underwhelming, the rest of the world, which is by far the majority of the game, lost little luster or joy. In fact, I continued to be impressed with it even after I'd completed the story and felt REALLY free to try anything and everything and realizing something was indeed waiting for me behind almost every stone or at the top of each peak. Of course, the game play isn't perfect either...

With so much going on there's plenty of nitpicks one could make with some of the design choices, particularly the controls and menus. But, it's streamlining so much complicated shit it's easy to imagine it being far more cumbersome and complicated. Perhaps Nintendo rightly exercised more control here, because as weird as scrolling the menus on multiple layers and levels can feel, that it actually sort of works is an achievement.

Anyway, my biggest substantive complaint is with the dungeons. By design, a lot of the dungeon crawling and puzzling has been split up into the 100+ shrines in the game, and the 4 Devine Beasts, which are moderately larger, but still quite small by past standards. I understand the point of emphasizing the overworld exploration and discovery of the shrines/dungeons themselves, but I still would have preferred larger and more challenging dungeons, particularly in the way of enemy encounters, which are great on the surface and virtually absent in the dungeons save for some perfunctory encounters and the relatively few combat shrines (which aren't even as good as that sounds). I would have preferred they reduced the number of shrines and increased the number of Devine Beasts or naturally existing dungeons accordingly. This is something that does matter to me and hurts the game world because as great and immersive as it is, I think it would have been that much better with similarly large and immersive labyrinths in addition to or even instead of the total shrine a la carte experience. Imagine how great it would be if you found and got lost in caves or dungeon ruins on a scale relative to the overworld? Well, at least that's something for next time.

Speaking of next time, and this game's place in the Zelda legacy, while I don't think it knocks anybody out of the Triforce of LoZ (Courage), ALttP (Wisdom), or OoT (Power), I do think it's worthy and fits nicely in the top 5 (let's call them The Five Champions =) along with Wind Waker (we'll see, time will tell, and the case can still be made for others of course). So, with that said, I'm going to sit back and wait for Aaz to tell me why The Adventure of Link is actually better than all those games! :ganishka:

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
I'm starting to regret deciding to wait until Christmas to get a Switch. This is going to be a stressful eight months. If I last that long.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So, with that said, I'm going to sit back and wait for Aaz to tell me why The Adventure of Link is actually better than all those games! :ganishka:

Haha nah, I'd just switch WW with Link's Awakening. I think Zelda II is a much better game than most people give it credit for, but it's not in my top three, never was and never will be. Zelda 1, Zelda 3 and Zelda 64 (yeah fuck the subtitles :iva:) are also my "Triforce". They're games that have deeply impacted me during my childhood and that have set the bar by which I judged later games.

Griffith

Speaking of the bar by which we judge later games...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-developing-the-legend-of-zelda-smartphone-game-1494820189

I've been waiting for this announcement because it raises the obvious question... will this make Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks style touch screen Zelda games more historically relevant and secure one a spot in the Top 10 Zeldas: LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, WW, TP, ALBW, BotW (not how I originally intended to post this list =)!? I know that's what I thought the obvious and important takeaway was, others may care about, you know, playing it or something, but whatever. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eh, we'll see but I don't expect much from it and am therefore not interested. I just have no interest whatsoever in smartphone games. They might as well no exist as far as I'm concerned.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Hope it's okay to revive this, since I have a bit to say.

My first games were via emulation Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both of which I loved and replayed a lot. I even re-purchased them on 3DS, but since the other games were console exclusives (and I don't care about said consoles), I never got to play them.

Breath of the Wild was a big influence on buying the Switch. I knew I wanted it, but I needed a game to really entice me at the start too. It did not disappoint. I put in over 260 HOURS into everything and I pretty much loved it all.

I love third person and open world and, honestly, I might in the minority here, but I don't really care much for dungeons. They're fun, but it was always my least favorite part of every game. I had much more fun just being out and exploring and getting into fights.

It's probably now my favorite Zelda game.

Griffith

Looked pretty cool, and I hope them being underground isn't just a coincidence but reflective of a new emphasis in this game since there's lots of room to expand into the underworld. I'd also be down with playing as Zelda with a different moveset, and the haircut and focus on her kind of gives me that hope.

How about a working title though (BotW II?), and a better finish than text telling us their making the game that they're showing us. That was odd, like the trailer is a work in progress or they hadn't done this hundteds of times before, but ok. =)

Top Bottom